Rule Suggestion Disallow "panic binds" from non-essential personnel

Rule suggestions will be reviewed by Superadmins, this may take longer than standard content suggestions.

Geronimo

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Jan 29, 2023
United Kingdom
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
This suggestion proposes that the well-known "panic button" bind should be only allowed to be used by personnel that would likely have a panic button. This may include GSD, MTF, SA, SC, EC, DEA, and other high value personnel (typically L3).

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
As far as I am aware, it has not.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
- Comms will not be flooded with "accidental bind presses" as much
- Trainee doctors won't be begging for help because they saw an SCP

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
- Virtually none.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:

As a player that has recently migrated from the USA server to the UK server, a consistent issue I see is that lower-level personnel such as cadets, chefs, tech experts, engineers and the like are commonly utilizing the 'panic bind' that you typically find, often requesting people to 'check their headcam'. This information is objectively useless, considering these classes do not receive head-cams by default. I also commonly see that it is used to minge or otherwise mislead other players, as I often see people use it when they are being arrested by IA (of which never works out for them anyways).

Panic binds should be something that signal an immediate threat to the site's (or personnel's) safety, most commonly when personnel are being kidnapped or if intruders are within the facility, and yet it is becoming so common that its beginning to desensitize people from it and genuine emergencies go un-noticed. People need to stop using panic binds whenever they see a breached SCP or whenever they see a GSD shoot another GSD (unless they absolutely 100% know that its a deep cover or disguised d-class, for example).

Try to picture two different scenarios:

A Nu-7 task force member sends their panic. Your immediate thoughts would be "is it a CI raid?" "I should check his head-cam and see whats happening!" "Is he being kidnapped?".
On the other hand, a Tech Expert sends their panic. Your immediate thoughts are "really? tech expert is being arrested again but thinks he's high value enough to be kidnapped by CI?" "how am I supposed to know where he is when the only thing he does is press his panic bind?"