Denied Adding higher quality (but nearly identical*) CI playermodels

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
adding the spetsnaz models from MW3 onto the server (which the slightly lower quality CI versions are based on) or changing the CI models to them:
EDIT: THIS IS NO LONGER AN ADDON FOR INSURGENCY AND IS ACTUALLY FOR GMOD
**the current marksman model doesn't appear in the addon but there's a different version of the marksman in it
***there's not an identical juggernaut model however another jugg model from MW3 can always be ported over ;)

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • better quality CI models
  • goes along with (what seems to be) a trend of revamping playermodels
  • would look a lot cooler
  • gives CI faces (which none of them have atm)
  • custom c_hands for CI

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  • people might need to re-do their PACs (this can be solved by adding the new playermodels as different skins for the same job, like you can do as D-class, I haven't met any errors with my CI PACs using these models yet though:))
  • 1680278685536.png
  • issues with the person who made this addon?
  • time taken/money paid to commission somebody to put chaos emblems and the like onto these models
  • might make the contentpack slightly larger (although you guys have put exabytes of my little pony playermodels on other CG servers so idk if its too big of an issue)
  • might be a bad look using premade playermodels (a lot of the server playermodels seem to be made by cheddar or dedicated modellers void a few)
  • marksmen playermodel appears to be custom-made and would have to be replaced/remade
  • seemingly less customisation since these are ports from MW3? (if there's a commission to turn them into CI it can always be added then though)
  • CI having actual faces might make the faction look a little silly

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
i think it'd be nice to use/add higher quality playermodels that the current CI models are very obviously based on considering other jobs are getting new ones as well

COMPARISONS:
Officer+:
1680277561125.png
R&D:
1680277664914.png
No backpack model, I'd guess it's custom?
1680277714693.png
Strike Team:
1680277896526.png
1680277922495.png
Delta:
1680277957913.png
1680277998071.png

No marksman model, here's a comparison of MW3s sniper and the current CI one (i admit the current marksman one looks pretty cool)
1680278122396.png
1680278150944.png

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022
NY?
+Support
to getting better models for ci but the ci faces gives away the mysteriously they try to hide to not give up information when taken to not put there family in trouble or somthing and also these models that you showed i get where your going but to be honest it doesnt fit the dark snowy feel the ones we have now are good but i can see what you mean but i think only change 1 or 2 of them right now they just fit well

Millzy

Donator
Mar 28, 2022
+Support but for the lenses of goggle and gas masks, make sure they're blacked out; purpose of preserving the spooking CI feel.

You just linked 200MB worth of models. There's no chance we are adding 200MB worth of models. It can probably be reduced a lot by compression but that might kill some of the "higher quality" and there's only so far you can compress before they look bad.
i only tried with about three different files, most of the materials are 1024x1024 vtf files, halving its size (of course makes them lower quality) but i've consistently gotten between a half and a third the file sizes:
1680290693445.png
alongside this, if one of the three types of skins (lets say arctic for example) was removed we'd be getting approximately a 20MB file reduction (here it only shows 18.7mb of arctic files, but the sniper's one is misspelled and so not included:
1680289391227.png1680290759507.png
i don't have the patience to half the resolution of each file, but i think the file size could be reduced to something workable, what file size is too large for an addon?
you're right that a lower resolution might remove the point of adding "higher quality" models but i still think a fresh look for CI would be nice
it also looks like a lot of the file size is from vvd files (which as far as I know are responsible for its 3d model?), is it feasible to make these smaller? i have no idea
a lot of them seem totally unnecessary as well (why do we need mtl_russian_military_shotgun, smg, lmg, and so on if we aren't using them?)
there's also a good chance i have no idea what im talking about and none of this this would help

Last edited:

verybobby

MRP War Criminal
Donator
Oct 10, 2022
Suggestion Denied

Hi @Bill Nye The Guy,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion. The file sizes are way too large, and compression would simply reduce the quality of the models. In the future, please consider file size as a factor for models.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

Status
Not open for further replies.