Denied ECM / Communications Jammer

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

0x48756773

Dec 4, 2022
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
My suggestion is to add an ECM / Communication jammer to certain classes (CI/GOC/Foundation). This jammer could be used to block all communications in either a certain direction (within a set amount of degrees in front of the character) or around the player using the jammer within a certain radius.

The Jammer would only function while it's pulled out, which removes the player using the jammer from normal combat.

While in use, any player within the targeted range of the jammer will be informed that their communications are being jammed. This will warn the player that something is coming that may threaten their safety, and may allow them to get out of the way and attempt to warn other members of their faction. During use, this will also blank out any body cameras of the targeted individuals.

This can be used when conducting operations and may allow for callouts such as intruder alerts to be postponed, allowing for opposing factions to get deeper into a raid without being alerted.

In order to prevent being abused, I would also suggest a time limit in actually enabling the ECM (hold out for 20-30 seconds before it can be activated), and have a timeframe that it can be used (1 minute?) and then a cool-down period before it recharges.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
[Not to my knowledge]

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
This can be used when conducting operations and may allow for callouts such as intruder alerts to be postponed, allowing for opposing factions to get deeper into a raid without being alerted.

Allows for easier kidnapping of personnel without triggering Panic / Kidnap alerts.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
Could be overpowered, allowing for raids to go further without anyone being warned.

This could result in an uptick in kidnappings.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
I think that this could be a realistic addition to the server. Communication jammers are a real thing being used. Once upon a time, we used to see cell phone jammers in use in some theaters.

Militaries often use communication jammers to interfere with communications while they are conducting operations and have land and air-based assets whose only job is jamming.

As for the CI, you can now purchase commercial off-the-shelf jamming equipment due to the decrease in price of tools such as Software Defined Radios.

Jul 15, 2023
was wondering when this suggestion would happen

i would also suggest that if within range of like, an SCP containment box, then it would prevent any hacking alerts (caused by hacking tat specific box) for the duration that it's active

in relation to that, i would also suggest that it makes some noise while active.

regardless of that, i do like the roleplay aspect of what you're suggesting and i think this could be fun, interesting and refreshing, iterates more on all of the standard gameplay loops and gives a little variety as to what can happen.
+Major Support

i would also suggest that if within range of like, an SCP containment box, then it would prevent any hacking alerts (caused by hacking tat specific box) for the duration that it's active
this is too broken imo
since the hacking box only detacts when someone starts hacking, not during the hack. So if it were to run out it would be a free silent hack

Jul 15, 2023
this is too broken imo
since the hacking box only detacts when someone starts hacking, not during the hack. So if it were to run out it would be a free silent hack
bear in mind that if the functionality i suggest was added to the jammer as suggested in the OP, it would require an entire person to remove themselves from either also attempting to hack out the SCP or otherwise defend the area from being hacked - then also take into account that using it in this way would trigger the cooldown of the jammer.

this would mean it's pretty infeasible for DCs imo (i forget if DCs are allowed to hack out SCPs) since there's only 2 of them (although you could consider it a gamble instead, ), then also consider that if it's vents team that's making it to the SCP CC, that is however many hacking + the jammer, that you take from defending that area, but again is also worthwhile since F don't get alerted.

also consider that the hacking alert was also slightly buffed literally today (added to SCU). this would also further justify any potential further buffs to the hacking alert (such as additional jobs or iteration on location callout in the alert itself), but that would have to be considered alongside this functionality and not separately. i don't mind giving GOC/CI free silent hacks at all, mostly because i'm a permissive goblin, but you get the idea.

if that's still not savoury, then what about instead of negating it entirely, just have it be delayed until either the jammer is off again or just for like a set duration?

while i'm on the topic. i actually want to see the SCP that's being hacked out get a similar alert and being told that they're being hacked out so they don't flag off (but also so i don't get confused-ass 049s; like in my first ever 079 breach, where i hacked out 049 and the guy got confused, said in OOC "hey i've been breached for like no reason, i think it's a bug - i'm gonna call a sit" :skull:)

actually, now that i think, i think for the base functionality of this, you'll also need to tell the affected people that their comms are no longer being jammed as well.

bear in mind that if the functionality i suggest was added to the jammer as suggested in the OP, it would require an entire person to remove themselves from either also attempting to hack out the SCP or otherwise defend the area from being hacked - then also take into account that using it in this way would trigger the cooldown of the jammer.

this would mean it's pretty infeasible for DCs imo (i forget if DCs are allowed to hack out SCPs) since there's only 2 of them (although you could consider it a gamble instead, ), then also consider that if it's vents team that's making it to the SCP CC, that is however many hacking + the jammer, that you take from defending that area, but again is also worthwhile since F don't get alerted.

also consider that the hacking alert was also slightly buffed literally today (added to SCU). this would also further justify any potential further buffs to the hacking alert (such as additional jobs or iteration on location callout in the alert itself), but that would have to be considered alongside this functionality and not separately. i don't mind giving GOC/CI free silent hacks at all, mostly because i'm a permissive goblin, but you get the idea.

if that's still not savoury, then what about instead of negating it entirely, just have it be delayed until either the jammer is off again or just for like a set duration?

while i'm on the topic. i actually want to see the SCP that's being hacked out get a similar alert and being told that they're being hacked out so they don't flag off (but also so i don't get confused-ass 049s; like in my first ever 079 breach, where i hacked out 049 and the guy got confused, said in OOC "hey i've been breached for like no reason, i think it's a bug - i'm gonna call a sit" :skull:)

actually, now that i think, i think for the base functionality of this, you'll also need to tell the affected people that their comms are no longer being jammed as well.
i aint reading allat

good point, i agree 100%

Jul 15, 2023
This will have the unintended side effect of making raids and hostile actions more visible in secondary comms. Unless the person jamming the comms are beelining towards you, it’s pretty easy to run out of the range and call it out over secondary comms before you even make first contact with hostile. I could only see a real benefit in the form of DC and AT operations, but for that still, it sounds like a reasonable compromise to kidnap binds if coordinated strategically.

inb4 e11 have 5 guards/checkpoint and ci cause an entire silent xk class scenario

doesn’t matter that you have one less person defending if there’s nobody to hear the hacking anyways :/

Jul 15, 2023
inb4 e11 have 5 guards/checkpoint and ci cause an entire silent xk class scenario

doesn’t matter that you have one less person defending if there’s nobody to hear the hacking anyways :/
E-11 leadership skill issue, E-11 aren't meant to be standing around in one place all the time - that's why i mentioned the noise part of the jammer so that patrols can hear and catch it happening if they pass by

E-11 leadership skill issue, E-11 aren't meant to be standing around in one place all the time - that's why i mentioned the noise part of the jammer so that patrols can hear and catch it happening if they pass by
Fairer, I still find the tradeoff much in the advantage of whatever GOI is raiding, since E11 so heavily rely on hacking notifications during lower pop hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.