Edwards Mapping Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Combine Freeman

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Jul 26, 2022
In-game name on all servers you play: Edward ‘Nutty’ Wilson, Nick ‘Nickolas’ Anne

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:245725058

For how long have you played on our servers?: For weeks/months

What country are you from?: US

Time Zone: EST

Do you have a mic?: Yes

Is this your first application for Mapper? If not, link previous ones: Yes, this is my first app.

Have you received any bans?: No

How confident are you with Hammer (Rate yourself 1-10 using rating guide): 6-7

Do you have previous experience as a Mapper for GMod?: I have a decent amount of previous experience being a mapper, mapping for a few small servers (mostly servers owned by friends), so far, I have been mapping since the middle of December in 2022.

What source games have you mapped for and used the content of?:

GMOD and CSGO

How many hours can you commit to Mapping per week?: I can map about 20-25 hours a week

Why do you want to be a Mapper? What can you help us with?:

I wish to be a mapper so I can learn more, and I can help with the server. I want to expand from small projects on other servers, to bigger projects that will hopefully make me more experienced at mapping. I recently started learning mapping a few months ago, and I feel that I'm acquainted enough with mapping that I would like to go on bigger servers and experiment with my mapping skills there.

Which server(s) on the CG Network do you play on and which ones would you most prefer to map for?

I've played mainly on SCP-RP, and I would much likely choose to map on SCP-RP

Have you made & edited any map before? if so attach some images showcasing your map & edit

Mostly all the maps I've made or edited were private projects with friends and other servers, more recently I helped with developing a SCP-RP server, I will link down below a map I've made in about an hour or two to showcase my experience with hammer so far, it doesn't list everything, but I just made what was ever on my mind at that time.

Simplemap.PNG

pipe.PNG
Houseagain.PNG

Potentially, I will post further maps if needed and maybe make some more complex maps to put here if this wasn't sufficient to detail some of my general understanding.

List any ideas of new maps/map edits for CG that you would like to work on.

CI Base Update
Updating CI's base to make it look more modern and less cramped for CI, make the base have a more expansive underground place for CI to store SCP's and experiment and do medical studies.

GOC Base Update
Make GOC similar to CI's updated base design, but with a more Sci-Fi feeling to it, adding a expansive base larger than CI, similar to the Foundations current HCZ design.

Last edited:

Foodeater

Dec 26, 2022
Australia
steamcommunity.com
Looks good so far! Do you have any other examples besides this map?
I'd be interested in seeing your workflow from start to finish on a map, and how you would do about decorating areas.
Show off you sense of understanding for the environment!

Combine Freeman

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Jul 26, 2022
Looks good so far! Do you have any other examples besides this map?
I'd be interested in seeing your workflow from start to finish on a map, and how you would do about decorating areas.
Show off you sense of understanding for the environment!
Yea, I have a few other project's I've been cooking up, I'm going to put a project I've been working on for an hour or so, going to try and finish and tidy up the map so it looks better, but here's the stuff I've made so far.
pooltext-png.7958
coolll.PNGcoolestscreenshot.PNG

Attachments

• pooltext.PNG
    pooltext.PNG
    773.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

Combine Freeman

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Jul 26, 2022
+Support

Looks really good, I think what would be cool is if you could show some of the optimization you have used.
Sure, down below I've made a pretty bare map to show out some basic optimizations I made in game. opti3.PNGopti4.PNGopti.PNGopti2.PNG
I'll try and showcase some optimization for some other more detailed maps in the future.

Combine Freeman

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Jul 26, 2022
shed11.PNGshed12.PNGshed13.PNGmain1.PNG
Updated this map quite a little, adding fog, editing skybox textures, adding a shed, and some other fun stuff.

Lord_Fr3ze

Senior Developer
Senior Developer
Mapping Team
Content Team
Jan 3, 2022
Screenshots show that you are capable of creating somewhat decently detailed environments. But there are no screenshots where your experience with lighting is shown, as it is all hammer screenshots. So it's best that you post some screenshots with lighting from inside the houses and outside, as lighting is a key factor in how a area is presented and liked by players, it doesn't matter how much you detail a area, if the lighting is off and not realistic it will make the area be significantly less appreciated than when it is properly lit.

Combine Freeman

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Jul 26, 2022
Screenshots show that you are capable of creating somewhat decently detailed environments. But there are no screenshots where your experience with lighting is shown, as it is all hammer screenshots. So it's best that you post some screenshots with lighting from inside the houses and outside, as lighting is a key factor in how a area is presented and liked by players, it doesn't matter how much you detail a area, if the lighting is off and not realistic it will make the area be significantly less appreciated than when it is properly lit.
Alright, please give me any constructive criticism and or things I need to improve on. light12.PNGlight13.PNGlight14.PNG

Lord_Fr3ze

Senior Developer
Senior Developer
Mapping Team
Content Team
Jan 3, 2022
The lights could benefit from env_sprite entities that have the same color as to what the light model has and set a low opacity. Secondly, you should use light_spots for the main lighting and a very weak light entity below it to light up the ceiling if needed, sometimes the light_spot entity can do this on it's own with the "Inner (Bright)" Setting, but sometimes it doesn't work out as you want it to.

You should also look at making the fog match the color of the skybox.

Combine Freeman

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Jul 26, 2022
The lights could benefit from env_sprite entities that have the same color as to what the light model has and set a low opacity. Secondly, you should use light_spots for the main lighting and a very weak light entity below it to light up the ceiling if needed, sometimes the light_spot entity can do this on it's own with the "Inner (Bright)" Setting, but sometimes it doesn't work out as you want it to.

You should also look at making the fog match the color of the skybox.
Thank you so much for the criticism, I tried my best to implement what you said in game, I'll link a few screenshots down below, I also attempted to make sure the fog was similar to the skybox as well.
anlight1.PNG
(P.S this was supposed to be a flickering light)
anlight2.PNGanlight3.PNGanfognumerounodostres.PNG
If you can, please tell me what other things you want to see in the map or optimization techniques I can potentially use, I am open to any constructive criticism of my map.

Lee Falzone

MRP War Criminal
Donator
Dec 25, 2020
+Support

You got a lot of heart from what i'm seeing. I hope you get accepted as a mapper!

Goodluck!

Combine Freeman

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Jul 26, 2022
Hi, are you still interested in being a Mapper?
Hello, sorry for the delayed response, I don’t view the forums much due to me taking a small hiatus off scp rp, I am still interested in becoming a mapper.

Ventz

Owner
Ventz
Group Moderator
Dec 19, 2020
Hi, thanks for taking the time to make this application!
I would first like to apologize for it taking such a long time for an official verdict to be delivered.

After reviewing your work you showed I have decided to deny this application due to your mapping still needing some further development.

Please do not be discouraged however, you have displayed a good ability to create nice levels with interesting designs, and I hope you will continue to develop your skills further! Feel free to return at a later time to reapply if you would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.