Im trying to maybe build my own gaming PC (help)

Hypnotoad

Feb 7, 2023
Looking to build something that could adequately run a game like Star Citizen. Not looking for something that costs thousands and thousands of dollars, just something that get the job done with some growth room. (Please help and thank you)

KaptianCore

Developer
Developer
Programming Team
Jul 1, 2022
Australia
Star Citizen is a pretty demanding game and computers nowadays are quite expensive if you don't know what you're doing you should look at getting a prebuilt.

Nosey | Curious

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Jul 20, 2021
Just get a prebuilt, its like $100 extra MAX which sounds like a lot but I can assure you that you WILL fuck up building one, part compatibility is a bitch, certain things just wont fit, and its all very delicate. My brother spent 4 years building a PC that worked cause he kept getting screwed over, I then bought a prebuilt that is better than his PC for less money and 0 stress. If you are in the UK there are a number of very good custom prebuilt services, and there's bound to be some in the USA.

Ellie

Community Supervisor
Community Sup.
Group Moderator
Feb 21, 2021
Looking to build something that could adequately run a game like Star Citizen. Not looking for something that costs thousands and thousands of dollars, just something that get the job done with some growth room. (Please help and thank you)

I would recommend using a site like PC Part Picker to assemble your PC and ensure compatibility. I've built PCs for years and it's a fun hobby that's worth picking up.

Star Citizen is a jank performance hungry game so you'll want to aim high in specs. I like to use CPU Benchmark to compare components and check value for money.

AMD tends to be better value than Intel, but ensure the motherboard you get is compatible - that's the main concern.
Aim high for your RAM - you may not need more than 16GB now but you'll be glad you have it - splash out on DDR5 for future proofing
I'd aim high for your GPU too for Star Citizen - something like a 1080 might be fine for now, but you won't go much further with it - I'd recommend going for a 30 series or higher.

If you want help feel free to DM me :)

KaptianCore

Developer
Developer
Programming Team
Jul 1, 2022
Australia
Just get a prebuilt, its like $100 extra MAX which sounds like a lot but I can assure you that you WILL fuck up building one, part compatibility is a bitch, certain things just wont fit, and its all very delicate. My brother spent 4 years building a PC that worked cause he kept getting screwed over, I then bought a prebuilt that is better than his PC for less money and 0 stress. If you are in the UK there are a number of very good custom prebuilt services, and there's bound to be some in the USA.
With prebuilts you can also get some good deals since I know you're Aussie Pearson look out ok ozbargains

Yeke

Community Supervisor
Community Sup.
Group Moderator
Mar 20, 2022
I second Ellies comment however I would look at good RAM, 16GB is now becoming the modern day gaming minimum, using 32GB really does help.

furthermore If playing Star Citizen is your focus you will NEED to use a M.2 drive, Western Digital Black have a decent series

'Blue'

Administrator
Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Donator
Jul 25, 2022
Kuwait
just buy a pre-built one, there all the same

• Angry
Reactions: Yeke

ToasterStrudels

Dec 18, 2023
Wait until Black Friday and then buy everything. You can get a pretty insane PC with the amount of discounts that happen around that time.

Glazzing

May 31, 2023
Des Moines, Iowa
I second Ellies comment however I would look at good RAM, 16GB is now becoming the modern day gaming minimum, using 32GB really does help.

furthermore If playing Star Citizen is your focus you will NEED to use a M.2 drive, Western Digital Black have a decent series
32 is honestly the standard now if you want to have multiable stuff open whilst playing, and DDR4 is ridiculously cheap

Hypnotoad

Feb 7, 2023
It's a type of SSD it's a small thin looking thing just Google m.2 SSD they sit on your motherboard.
Awesome thank you.

After some research and recommendations from people here, I created a part list for a possible PC build that will cost me around $2000, let me know if anything here seems wrong or any recommendations:

CPU
Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT 65.57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard
ASRock B660M Pro RS Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

Memory
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

Storage
Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card
NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Video Card

Case
NZXT H9 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit

Glazzing

May 31, 2023
Des Moines, Iowa
Awesome thank you.

After some research and recommendations from people here, I created a part list for a possible PC build that will cost me around $2000, let me know if anything here seems wrong or any recommendations:

CPU

CPU Cooler

Motherboard

Memory

Storage

Video Card

Case
NZXT H9 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit
that'll run pretty much anything you play on it except I would pirate windows cause why not

Prplex

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
Dec 20, 2023
Amd is 100% the way to go value for money wise.

ZLT49A

Civil Gamers Expert
Sep 26, 2021
Awesome thank you.

CPU

CPU Cooler

Motherboard

Memory

Storage

Video Card