Lawson Dubourine Exec. Researcher Application [USA]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSirRaccoons

May 24, 2023
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:79447501
Discord name: Dr Sir Raccoons#1112
For how long have you played on CG SCP: I believe 2 - 3 weeks. Total play time is past one day, but I'm unsure if there's a way to check exact time.
In what country are you located?: United States
Time zone: PST
Character name(s): Lawson "Doc" Dubourine
Civilian name: Robert Nelly
What server are you applying for? (SCP-RP UK or SCP-RP USA): SCP-RP USA
Do you have a mic?: Yes
-
List all whitelisted, MTF, or CI roles that you hold or have held: None at this time.

Have you received any kicks/bans/warning? and why?: I have received no administrative punishments/sanctions.

Why are you applying for Executive Researcher?:
Research is an "odd" position in the SCP foundation, since plenty of folks may not realize that if the researchers go away, then there's no foundation. When looking at the administrative portion of the researcher team, I find most are not available or present during late hours of my time zone. Not only does this upset those poor Jr. Researchers who are stuck just waiting for a level 4 team member to review their credits or even their research documents. But applying to a position shouldn't just be for wanting to just brag you can do '/approveall', instead it's about leading a team and managing that team in a way which is beneficial to the community. As stated earlier, researchers are the ones that allow the foundation to be a foundation, since they're the ones that interact with the SCPs, security, D-Class and the medical team. By empowering our researchers to be more comfortable in working with our other departments, it allows for much better RP and even may help us when we have difficulties inter-departmentally.

Additionally, working as an executive researcher, it's integral to set an example for folks in the research team. With such a free-form system when it comes to methods of sampling, documentation of reports, and simply choosing which SCP to experiment on; it is important to recognize how we can ensure these free-form systems still allow members of the team to remain creative. But with this creative, the central goals of these procedures should be kept to a standard which allows for actual research RP to occur. Since it's very easy for a Jr. Researcher to just be actually testing instead of just screwing around if they're given the properly guidelines and expectations to follow. How is this done? Well, normalization of lectures for all scientists is integral, since it allows those researchers to truly say, "Hey, here's this thing I think is cool and I want to show it off to everyone else." Not only does that improve morale in the team, but it allows for other members of the team to feel more confident in testing and to truly allow them to want to specialize in whether they want to work with certain SCPs or if they simply want to sit in the lab to make chemicals. Speaking of making chemicals, it's strange there's not much emphasis on this chemical making process in the research team, mostly it's methods of sampling and we have that lovely sheet of chemical reactions, but how do we empower those folks making chemicals so they're just not down stairs not RPing or interacting with anyone?

Well, maybe it's important to start encouraging folks who want to specialize in making chemicals to make research reports, similar to how we handle those research reports for SCPs. If we start to encourage this, then it allows for our chemists to actually start interacting with folks more, instead of having them just hiding downstairs. Not only this, but chemicals are pretty integral to plenty of members in the community, so maybe teaching more folks to make chemicals would be a great method in order to allow folks to learn how to make those important chemicals, but may even allow us to find more chemical combinations.

Finally, one of the biggest things I have been fighting for is to have the medical staff actually able to work with us in our experiments. So many times, I simply see people begging for a doctor just because they're injured and that's it. There's no RP behind being apart of medical right now, but there's a fantastic way to change that. This would simply be having our experiments utilize medical staff for assistance in finding results or to simply having them RP an autopsy following the death of a D-Class. It's such a little thing, but it actually allows our medical staff to RP instead of becoming heal bots, since everyone knows we should be encouraging everyone in the server to have fun, not just to have them feel like they're stuck being heal bots.

Overall, I'm applying for the position of Executive researcher in order to be present for folks during time zones where our level 4 researchers aren't around, to empower our research staff to be more comfortable working with one another by allowing them to express what they like to study, and to expand our chemical research sector to find more chemical combinations along with encouraging our chemists to not just hide in the lab.

What makes you suitable for Executive Researcher?:
In a real life sense, I actually am a researcher and worked in the biochemistry for about 4 years. Along with this, I've also spent some time working in the medical field for about 2ish years. Now why does this matter? Well, having actual IRL experience has allowed me to explain several things in a sense that is realistic and the rationale I'm able to provide would be one a researcher could realistic do.

I see all of these different wacky experiments which are just researchers feeding D-Class to the wolves and saying 'That's the experiment' which is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Research isn't sacrificing your D-Class, it's about using your D-Class to complete a simple task and seeing how it looks. If the D-Class dies, then there should be a damn good reason why and you better write in your report methods to not have the D-Class die in future experiments. Feeding D-Class to SCPs isn't research and I think it's important for folks to realize that.

Not only this, but when our experiments do go 'well', how do we explain our experiments in a realistic manner so it doesn't seem like we're pulling stuff out of thin air. Now that's where my experience IRL helps us, since this time has shown me plenty of methods in order to experimentally test something which is actually realistic. This includes chemical testing (NMR testing, chemical spectroscopy, etc.), biological testing (microcolonies, protein concentration testing, etc.), and physical testing (simple weights, pullies, etc.). Knowing this information has allowed to properly explain my research studies and to tie it into IRL 'studies or phenomenon', which only improves the RP of our research.

How many excellent-graded documents have you written? What makes a document excellent?: I believe 10 - 11.

What makes a document excellent is two simple things: Format and explanation/reflection. If your format is terrible, such as having bold text in weird places or just putting images in the middle of your paragraph, then of course you're going to get a bad score. But it's also important to recognize how format also is about how you explain your experiment. This includes your methodology, findings, and reflection since those are the big three you need in your reports. Methodology, otherwise known as your procedure, is one that many researchers can mess up. Since it may seem easy to just repeat what you did, you also need to explain why you did some of these things too. Since if a researcher attempted to repeat your experiment again, it should be written in a way where another researcher can repeat it just be reviewing that methodology. Next is your findings, otherwise known as your discussion, and this is the most difficult out of the three. Findings are difficult, since it's your job to explain your results along with why your results are the way that they are. If you don't really understand how things work in an IRL sense, then you're screwed for SCP testing since your findings will just be random gibberish that doesn't make much sense. For that, you should be able to explain the basic chemical, biological, and physical findings that caused your results to be the way they were. Not only that, but you should also be able to explain it to someone who asks about it, instead of just brushing it off as witchcraft.

Finally, your reflection, a very important part of research. When it comes to research, you should be able to explain what you should do in the future. If you don't do that, then you're not learning from your experiment. Reflection goes over what you could improve in your experiment along with any possible errors that could have occurred. If you fail to mention those, then you simply are just a zombie who's writing down procedure and results. And that, is probably the most important reason why a good research paper requires this reflection or at least an understanding of what to do in the future.

What are the responsibilities of the Executive Researcher in RP?:

These responsibilities include the basic of approving credits and documents to our more complicated responsibilities of overseeing experiments or giving approval for experiments as well.

Approval of credits and documents most executive researchers to find is the just busy work and they're mostly right in this belief. But it's important to empower our researchers and to give constructive feedback to researchers who didn't quite get an excellent document. Not only that, but it's important to teach these researchers that fundamentals of experimentation and to teach them basic scientific information to improve their discussion sections.

Next if overseeing experiments, since these experiments at higher levels can be more dangerous, it's important to recognize the risk any experiment can impose. With this, these types of experiments require approval from an exec. researcher and these exec. researchers should be able to see how this experiment can be dangerous and to give the researcher feedback on the necessary precautions they should take when preparing these experiments.

Finally, one that I didn't mention, it's using your level 4 clearance for cross testing or assistance with cross testing. With all of these different SCPs and different scientific reasonings as to what makes them unique, sometimes it's important to be doing tests with these different creatures. For that, it allows us to not only better understand these SCPs, but it allows us to better know how we can manage these SCPs in case there's an escape or something dangerous like that.

Please give some lore about your Executive Researcher character and what storylines they would be involved in:

Lawson Dubourine had recently gotten out of college at the prestigious University of Southern California and had been recruited to the SCP foundation through a 'pseudo'-pharmacy company which promised to use unconventional methods to cure disease throughout the world. When being on-boarded to the team as a Jr. Researcher, Lawson saw may ethical atrocities, not even researchers at other facilities would do to rats they were testing on. After seeing this, Lawson went to the ethical committee and was recruited by Crow Kalashnikov to help report ethical violations to members of the team and to find out if the teams in the facility were allowing these violations to occur.

After a short while, Lawson finished his Jr. Researcher requirements and became a Researcher, where he can be focus on ensuring the safety of any D-Class he tests with. During this time, Lawson would be looked at funny by GENSEC and even would receive some comments similar to the vein of 'Who cares? They're D-Class, they're replaceable", but that's not what Lawson sees in people. Lawson sees the value of human life and recognizes how treating D-Class as if they're simply rats in a cage not only harms the ones that are taken to testing, but it causes the other D-Class to see this facility simply as a tomb and that the only way to get out is breaking out. Lawson didn't want to see it this way and tried to treat all of the D-Class with civility and respect, but not all of his other researchers thought the same of that. At that time, Lawson still did work with Crow Kalashnikov to report any ethical violations in the facility and found some Jr. Researchers to be a little too eager in experimenting on deadly SCPs.

Following that time, Lawson finally earned his status as a Sr. Researcher and was able to work in the Heavy Containment Zone, where he became fascinated by the SCPs in the HCZ. It was strange, how some SCPs in the Light Containment Zone would kill the same number of D-Class as some SCPs in the HCZ, but these ones were labeled as ones that needed extra security. It was strange and Lawson became interested in testing in the HCZ more often, allowing for this type of research to be more explored compared to ones in the LCZ.

Lawson still works with the team, finding all of these different members of the team to be unique in their own ways, but still keeps his eye out for those that use their façade of "research" to send D-Class to their deaths.

Lunaro

Oct 23, 2022
To: Lawson Dubourine
Subject: Application Verdict

IEjYBcH.png

| Application Accepted |

Greetings Lawson,

This message has been composed by the Research Directorate to inform you that your application for the position of Executive Researcher has been accepted! Please contact your nearest RAISA office to receive your clearance (contact staff to get your whitelists), and e-mail (Discord message) myself (Bees#4431) or Dpt. Director Kyle Ringer (Don't forget Hawaii#8207) for your onboarding.

We look forward to working alongside you and hope that you will enjoy your time within the team.

Kind Regards,
"Lunaro," Director of Research​

Status
Not open for further replies.