Orientation Transcript: "The Greater Veil"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme
Foundation
<OOC Section> : The aim of this story to emulate tales and orientation lectures written on the SCP Wiki. However, expanding on certain topics.
Specifically, what role does the Anomalous Community play on the world stage.

Feedback is always appreciated! And I hope you enjoy reading this.

This tale/orientation draws inspiration from..
Department of Atypical Persuasion Orientation
Max Lombardi's Orientation
Disinfomation Bureau Orientation

Google Docs Version: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Isv3MLPh6VUrHReAe9NEXq0d83u8D1EOxL_QFOgtYC8/

Orientation Transcript: "The Greater Veil"​

“So.. now.. that's core material out of the way. We’re gonn- Hey! We’re gonna wrap this up in 20 minutes and everyone can go for dismissal and lunch.”

“We are going to be jumping from topic to topic. Ranging from World Politics, World Affairs, some History and about Human Nature.”

“In regards to Field Operations. We’ve come a long way from the ‘good o’ days’ of us simply rocking up, bagging someone and scrounging for Donuts. As time went on, let's say that the Foundation has realized there is a lot more to this world.”

“But this should represent a greater overview of what being a Field Operative encompasses and well we would dub as ‘The Anomalous Community’.”

“For those whom it ain’t their bread and butter. If you don’t wire it in now, there are plenty of empty cubicle spaces on the next floor. ”

“It comes as a surprise to a lot of you from former Intelligence Services. But you are given a degree of autonomy within your duties. Whilst we could hire handlers to watch your every move, on every work shift. There isn’t a perfect answer for everything. You will still have to report into a handler. Otherwise you could be jerking off for all we know.”

“But the flexibility you will receive exists for a good reason. Because you will be entering a very fast paced landscape.”

“I like to run this thought experiment every year on new operatives taking this course. Because sometimes, someone might think of an interesting answer. But also, it covers a lot of ground knowledge in a short period of time.”

“You are an anomaly that managed to evade every Foundation agent that got sent after ya. You also know about the Foundation or somewhat have an idea they are out to put you behind bars. Pick whatever you wanna be. What now? Oh and the goal is to live. You can’t get captured or turn yourself in. Gonna take in suggestions from the floor.”

“Also you can’t use your abilities. Which I know is a cop out and those of you exclaiming in the back ‘How else would ya escape the Foundation?’ But trust me with this. Also it would be unlikely any of you would be dealing with Demi-Gods.”

“Start over? How? Whatever you did as an anomaly, shattered your regular life. And even if you tried to start over. The Foundation’s got a pretty good memory. Get caught once, you're logged somewhere and someone who needs a paycheck is gonna flag ya. ”

“The smart ones wander the world.. Or insanely lucky ones. Never living in one spot. And ideally out of the public eye. But.. at some point. They are gonna have to talk to someone. We are social creatures. And being socially isolated from others can really fuck with you in many ways.”

“There are underground networks dedicated to aiding fleeing anomalies that reach what are defined as Safeports. Places of the world that are recognised by the anomalous community where they can freely express their powers without fear of being locked up for it. ”

“Prime examples include Three Portlands and the Wanderers Library. And of course, if these fleeing anomalies reach these safeports. They will be out of our grasp and we can’t touch them.”

“Of course, for those who are educated in ‘ways’ and ‘knocks’. This may be one of the golden tickets to freedom. However, that kind of information doesn’t get handed out freely. Because, we do have Foundation Agents fishing for that type of information pretending to be anomalies themselves. ”

“It has been discovered that fleeing anomalies do end up within homeless communities across the globe. But trust me from experience, no-one really wants to live on concrete beds for the rest of their lives. Which will lead us onto my next point.”

“Information Brokers, Tour guides, Wayfarers. The moniker for these individuals will vary from whichever region of the world you will operate in. But their function is to simply direct fleeing anomalies to the next point, towards their goal.”

“But no-one in the world knows everything completely.. But there are a lot of 'em out there. So almost there are underground routes in which a web of contacts communicate to each other. And if one person goes down, the rest can flee.”

“Now sometimes their information may be wrong or outdated depending on their capabilities. But thanks to the glorious invention of the internet. It is more than likely they will have contacts across the globe. ”

“These individuals will range in affiliation. I am aware at the time of this lecture. The Hand has been flagged on the bulletin board. But keep in mind, there are other players in the game. Such as AWCY, Sarkcites, Church-goers and Manna Foundation”

“Now where they might be directed are to what are referred to as neutral spaces. The prime example of this is South Korea. And this will devolve into a minor history and folklore lesson.”

“Now.. stories have been passed down for generations. Because it's how past generations relay lessons, ideas and principles to future generations. Ya know, tales of knights of yore and their tales of them slaying dragons inspire others to honour bravery and chivalry.”

“You can say the same thing has happened in Korea. A good majority of Korean Folklore states promote interaction with the anomalous community. It is more advised to treat anomalous creatures with respect, caution and intelligence. An idea that if you use your wits, you’ll keep your life.”

“Compared to Eastern Europe, where hunting lodges were formed to hunt vampires en masse. Because the general belief among the population is that the only good vampire is a dead vampire. And that's how we have the GOC.”

“Going back to Korea. The current Korean Government is fully aware of the anomalous community. Compared to other national governments. This.. is an example why the veil of secrecy needs to be maintained. Because it is a messy affair, when world powers attempt to intervene.”

“In contrast, The US Government. Only a select few agencies (such as the UIU), specific military personnel and specific personnel from the US Federal Civil Service are informed of the anomalous community and have agreed that the rest of the US government should be kept in the dark. Which allows the Foundation to maintain full control over how matters are resolved within the US.”

“Compared to Korea.. Where the Foundation is kept on a very tight leash, in which we only resolve hostile and life threatening anomalies to public safety. The GOC is completely barred from Korea. However, they get around this by hiding behind a UN and US flag.”

“Therefore, within Korea. The underground network is inadvertently empowered by the Korean Government. And are able to communicate more openly about anomalous matters. In fact, The city of Seoul is in fact home to a greater community of Anartists. Where it is recognised by the anomalous community as a tourist spot for Anomalous Art. ”

“Now we have a destination in mind. Korea. So how are you gonna get there?”

“Hop on a plane? If you’re fast enough, maybe. That is if the Foundation didn’t freeze your Bank Account or declared you as a wanted criminal. It is likely that you would have to seek out smuggling rings or escape routes from well.. Criminal elements. Yeah.. I'm talking about being crammed into a ship container with twenty others and not seeing the light of day or possibly starving before you get there. ”

“But let's say you made it to Korea. Found a connection who vetted ya and you’re on your way to a safeport. Here is the last part.. You still end in a jail cell. How? Well that supposed connection who vetted you was a Foundation Agent. And may have slipped something in your tea.”

“Now there are times we don’t catch all of them. That’s fine because we all can’t be everywhere at once.”

“But it is our duty to separate and isolate fleeing anomalies from others.. Our goal is to disrupt and infiltrate these networks, so they can be isolated and contained for the safety of both sides. Divide and Conquer as you will.”

“The really really smart ones would never speak or trust another human being for the rest of their lives. But ya see.. If that happens, we are still doing our jobs. And technically they are containing themselves.”

“And in performing these operations we force these communities to close up shop. And therefore, the veil of secrecy remains. And the only way for these anomalous entities to escape. Is that they have to trust ‘someone’.”

“And for the most of you. This will be a tough pill to swallow. This ain’t a drug bust or a foreign intelligence service or whatever hypothetical menace you wanna dream up. These are real people who have been dealt a shitty hand and we are making their situation worse.”

“Now all of you are here. Have signed on to be Field Operatives. Meaning.. You’re gonna see a lot of desperate people in desperate situations. So.. bluntly, I’d rather take on an agent who can accept this for what it is. Or like I stated earlier.. there are plenty of empty cubicle spaces on the next floor.”

“Now for questions..”

“Hm? What if they rise up to challenge the Status Quo? Well funny thing.. ”

“I suppose if that is ever encountered within your long career here. You might be on your way to earning a commendation for ‘Bravery under Duress’ or a tombstone.”

“How do I accept this, as in myself?”

“Well.. if we do our jobs right. No-one needs to get hurt than they have to be.”​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.