Denied SCP-096 Changes

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Putting forward a short list of problems regarding SCP-096:

1. Breaches can be stopped outright - Currently, SCP-096's breach is simply spawning a picture of its face in a random(?) location on the map. Any component Foundation player destroying this picture completely wastes the average 2+ hours of breach queue that the SCP-096 player spent sitting there. No other existing breach-able SCP works this way; breaches are guaranteed for them, as their chamber doors "malfunction" and automatically open. Why isn't this same logic applied to SCP-096 breaches? This also calls into question why the face picture spawns facing downwards: would having it spawn facing upward be any more realistic than having a picture of its face spawn randomly?

2. The Bucket - The almighty bucket, a necessary kryptonite to SCP-096. I understand the function the bucket serves is preventing perpetual re-viewing of SCP-096's face on his way to his next targets, but not how easy it is to apply the bucket. Realistically, NOBODY would probably be able to place a bucket on SCP-096's head while its in motion.
Edit: As the addition of TYPE-GREEN SCPs have generally made breaches longer, and SCP-096 will likely no longer breach by himself, the bucket remains untouched.

3. Forced Self-Recontainment - Perhaps the most disappointing realization you can have as an SCP-096 player can have is to have your last target sit in your containment chamber, forcing you to kill all of your other remaining targets and recontain yourself. The other is to drop everything and go to kill that lone individual before you continue on your spree; not very roleplay-accurate, and likely to get the SCP-096 player reported and warned for FailRP. It's essentially a guaranteed strategy for recontainment, with no possible ways to for the 096 player to counter it.

For each of these perceived problems, here's a respective solution to each that wouldn't heavily favour SCP-096:
1. 096's chamber doors fail when auto-breached just like any other breach-able SCP, and may walk out following the existing minute rule. (doesn't leave his breach entire up to chance)

2. Buckets may only be placed on 096 while un-enraged.
Edit: As the addition of TYPE-GREEN SCPs have generally made breaches longer, and SCP-096 will likely no longer breach by himself, the bucket remains untouched.

3. If 096 is "baited" into its cell, given that the chamber remains open, it may walk out of its chamber following the existing minute rule.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):

1. Improves realism and consistency surrounding SCP-096's own gameplay mechanics, as well as extending 096's lore-accurate containment procedures and weight of his breaches, making the experience more enjoyable for players who choose to play as 096.
2. The changes mostly work to balance out 096 gameplay by not heavily favoring the SCP player while addressing the lack of sustained contribution SCP-096 has on breaches.
3. Better synergy with other SCPs due to 096 breaching at roughly the same time with other SCP players, allowing for harder-hitting combos that succeed based on collaboration.
4. Differentiates 106 and 096 containment methods more clearly and accurately according to SCP lore (no casualties technically need to be incurred).
5. Foundation personnel get more chances to witness d-block massacres.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
1. 096 breaches will be more difficult to recontain due to the fact that there will be little that can be done to stop 096 from viewing other's faces once he's out (although this would incentivize combatives to make the effort to "seal off" areas within 096's predicted path).
2. Initial confusion and player reports caused by SCP-096's recontainment being communicated but not actually being properly contained.
3. More overall coordination by MTF forces will be required to prevent large-scale 096 breaches (but that's what NCOs and COs are for!).

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
I believe that each part of this suggestion should be individually judged and approved, but that overall, these changes will bring a more enjoyable and engaged experience for all involved players. Each positive and negative have their own merits, and I predict that these changes essentially uprooting the existing behaviour of an entire SCP is unlikely to be entirely accepted by the community, but it will enhance the fairly accurate lore on CG SCPRP. I haven't made these suggestions with the intention of making it more frustrating to combat SCPs overall, but to balance out 096 and allow it to rival the power of similar-level SCPs. In conclusion, this change will attempt to raise the skill ceiling for 096 players by reducing reliance on random factors (suggestion 1) and making the overall experience more roleplay-oriented and procedurally-intensive/accurate according to lore (suggestions 2 & 3).

If you have read up to this point so far, thank you for your time, and I hope you can at least consider the beneficial implications such a change.

Last edited:

Sponge

Feb 3, 2023
+Support
Brilliant changes, however, just keep in mind someone else did this and they denied this because they are already working on a rework.

Jul 26, 2022
NY?
+Support
but idk bout the bucket feels a bit op to just run around and not have the bucket til ur enraged wich is basically when u get reconatined i get it but new players that are new to scp or the server dont know that u have ot look away ultimately causing a infinite breach.

+Support
Brilliant changes, however, just keep in mind someone else did this and they denied this because they are already working on a rework.
Thank you for the support and the heads-up, but I've far as I've searched, I've heard no news in terms of balancing SCP-096 specifically. Are you able to please point me to that specific suggestion? Keep in mind that this is not exactly a rework as it includes just two simple rule changes, and the only programming-based change is simply opening a door upon a breach event. It's more of a move towards balancing SCP-096 than anything else, in my humble opinion.

+Support
but idk bout the bucket feels a bit op to just run around and not have the bucket til ur enraged wich is basically when u get reconatined i get it but new players that are new to scp or the server dont know that u have ot look away ultimately causing a infinite breach.
Thank you for the support ! Addressing this concern, this is up to MTF containment teams to handle swiftly, but I assure you that this would never occur. Coupled with the fact that people who view SCP-096's face directly are usually dead within seconds, new players would learn very quickly that the tall, pale, skinny demon is not to be looked. Additionally, respawn times aren't instant, and save for D-Block, SCP-096 won't usually be directly outside of spawn rooms.

Sponge

Feb 3, 2023
Thank you for the support and the heads-up, but I've far as I've searched, I've heard no news in terms of balancing SCP-096 specifically. Are you able to please point me to that specific suggestion? Keep in mind that this is not exactly a rework as it includes just two simple rule changes, and the only programming-based change is simply opening a door upon a breach event. It's more of a move towards balancing SCP-096 than anything else, in my humble opinion.

Thank you for the support ! Addressing this concern, this is up to MTF containment teams to handle swiftly, but I assure you that this would never occur. Coupled with the fact that people who view SCP-096's face directly are usually dead within seconds, new players would learn very quickly that the tall, pale, skinny demon is not to be looked. Additionally, respawn times aren't instant, and save for D-Block, SCP-096 won't usually be directly outside of spawn rooms.
I can't find it either. Was most likely removed or hidden. It's somewhere in handled.

cool idea i like it but there's still the idea of minges and other unwanteds, such as non-combatives, interfering with the breach or simply him entering dblock. If a bucket can't be placed on him and he enters dblock it's going to be next to impossible to contain him because he cannot be bucketed until he's un-enraged. Maybe make it so it auto removes after a few minutes or a minute or so of it being put on him automatically. I get you want it to be more fun and true it's kinda fun for both sides but when its a 1-sided slaughter and there's no way to combat it it's not fun for anyone besides the scp.
Neutral/+Support

cool idea i like it but there's still the idea of minges and other unwanteds, such as non-combatives, interfering with the breach or simply him entering dblock. If a bucket can't be placed on him and he enters dblock it's going to be next to impossible to contain him because he cannot be bucketed until he's un-enraged. Maybe make it so it auto removes after a few minutes or a minute or so of it being put on him automatically. I get you want it to be more fun and true it's kinda fun for both sides but when its a 1-sided slaughter and there's no way to combat it it's not fun for anyone besides the scp.
Neutral/+Support
Thank you for the feedback. I don't think that the lack of immediately being able to bucket SCP-096 will be an issue in this regard, simply because direct viewing of SCP-096's face is almost guaranteed to have you dead. SCP-096 will inevitably, given enough time, run out of targets in D-Block, and when they happens either MTF will be given a brief chance to place the bucket or he continues his rampage outside of D-Block. I'm 100% sure that SCP-096 will not be able to just perpetually "farm" D-Class if MTF are present, and I'm equally as certain that SCP-096 will not be able to "farm" other spawn rooms too. He just kills too quickly for that to be a problem, when his next target is literally an arms-reach away.

Jan 6, 2023
Thank you for the feedback. I don't think that the lack of immediately being able to bucket SCP-096 will be an issue in this regard, simply because direct viewing of SCP-096's face is almost guaranteed to have you dead. SCP-096 will inevitably, given enough time, run out of targets in D-Block, and when they happens either MTF will be given a brief chance to place the bucket or he continues his rampage outside of D-Block. I'm 100% sure that SCP-096 will not be able to just perpetually "farm" D-Class if MTF are present, and I'm equally as certain that SCP-096 will not be able to "farm" other spawn rooms too. He just kills too quickly for that to be a problem, when his next target is literally an arms-reach away.
I have an Idea about D-block - if D-class or non combative is killed by 096 they'll get more respawn time to prevent this infinite loop in D-block

Status
Not open for further replies.