KaptianCore

Developer
Developer
Programming Team
Jul 1, 2022
Australia
In-game name: “Scratcher”

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:91079522

For how long have you played on our servers?: 2 - 3 months.

What country are you from?: Australia ??

Time Zone: AEST GMT+10

Do you have a mic?: Yes

Is this your first application for Developer? If not, link previous ones: I have never previously applied for developer on Civil Networks or Civil Gamers.

Have you received any bans?: No I have not received any bans.

How confident are you with GLua? (Rate yourself 1-10 using rating guide): I would rate myself between 5 and 6, I am reasonably confident in gLua and am able to interpret LUA, read it, and modify it for optimizations, I am able to write pretty good LUA from scratch, but gLua, in particular, is not my strong suit (all I need to do is just look at the docs for the function calls). It's only because I took a break from Garry's Mod development (I hadn't needed to do Garry's Mod development until I decided to apply).

Do you have any experience with Git?: I have extensive experience with git. I previously used the git CLI tool but have recently decided to use GitHub desktop as I have been using GitHub more than before and running CLI to push is a pain at times. I still use the CLI when the operation I need to do is not possible with GitHub desktop. I have a GitHub profile linked Here which I use to host my public and private projects, I have a few projects that are LUA for another server that I attempted to apply for a developer position but due to them not really having developer positions openly applicable for I never became a proper developer still did freelance work, I also have multiple javascript and html projects some being private that I would love to show to any people deciding this application but due to the sensitivity of the code I have it private.

Do you have previous experience as a Developer for GMOD?: I have a long history of development on Garry's Mod, I have worked as a freelance developer on numerous servers (I won’t name them due to them no longer existing.) As well as running a few of my own servers which I closed down to lack of popularity. I have experience as a mapper as well I have done a massive edit for an Australian military roleplay server and had started another map edit but has not been completed due to not being required to as of yet. I have done consulting work for servers to give opinions and insight without actual development work on content changes and solutions to certain problems and ways a feature is implemented. I have a very good understanding of the Garry's Mod server development space.

How many hours can you commit to developing per week?: During the upcoming school holidays, I will be on most days and will be able to spend quite a bit of time working (2 week holidays), but during the school term (due to it being my final school year), I will be able to devote at least 4 hours a week, but most likely more like 6, of course this will be halted during the 6-week exam and study block for the final exams, but that is a short period.

Why do you want to be a Developer? What can you help us with?: I want to become a Civil Networks developer because of my interest and enjoyment of the server, as well as my dedication to improving the experience for other players. I want to fix and add many things that aren't major jobs, but will make small but good QOL changes to the server, such as the ISD keycards either a set of amnestic SWEPs from needles to spray canisters which give a small effect to a user and informs them what the effect is on their brain, or an individual SWEP for class A, of which I have made a prototype version to just refresh myself on the gLUA, I understand it is basic, but it was a suggestion made by Cope. I have a wide range of skills in Garry's Mod development but I wouldn't apply for them because either CivilGamers doesn't need them or my level of skill in that area is low. I have previously done small adjustments in models for guns and player models, done texture adjustments for flagpoles, messed with utilising sounds in Garry's Mod a bunch of small things which I have had experience with that I can at least have a general understanding on what is needed to complete a task in Garry's Mod development. Finally, I would also like to mention that I have s&box access and would love to join and help Civil Gamers produce content on the game, I already co-run a project which is a little bit inactive but it is a military RP game mode similar to CivilGamers (it’s what it is aimed to be, similar to SQUAD). If needed I can post some ingame footage of the the battle royale game mode and the capture the flag system as well as the optimized drone base, but as it was for another server I didn’t know if I should post it or not as I don’t think its useful for CN SCPRP at all.

Last edited:

Cloak

Civil Gamers Expert
Jan 14, 2021
Hi, can you give examples of what you have developed on GMod (preferably with screenshots), else I won't be able to consider your application. Mainly looking for what you have written in GLua as you rate yourself a 5-6/10 on this. I saw you mentioned a SWEP for Class A amnestics so if you could show that it would be appreciated.

KaptianCore

Developer
Developer
Programming Team
Jul 1, 2022
Australia
can you give examples of what you have developed on GMod (preferably with screenshots)
Example 1 - Github/Code: Here
Refined and Updated a Battle Royale mini event system for a previous server. Fixing the spawn locations, airdrops, the respawn command and a bunch of small clean-ups and optimisations. I did not originally make this the person who did make it made it as a bit of fun but due to me wanting to see more of it I updated it to fix the bugs that made it unusable. I added multiple other small features which I'd be happy to explain over TS.
3.thumb.jpg.a1abeda380a0f473f18247f5f7460d5a.jpg.d0c7584d5d731add52b7959630478028.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.e985ae3404d6054f1f71f6de95f7e133.jpg.96fadbb3d2114d391f808b3792380bb9.jpg
Example 2 - Github/Code: Here
Created a capture the flag mini event system for the same server the battle Royale system was made for, this utilised custom functions that are specifically for the servers custom game mode, due to this I can really only show you the code and a screenshot of the flag swep (this was done with the custom swep tool for the positioning after I reskinned a flag pole model)
download (3).jpeg
Here is a short clip of interaction with the entity, I can't show much due to it heavily requiring the custom militaryRP gamemode.

Example 3 - Github/Code: Here
A popular drone add on which caused a lot of lag and issues when previously used on the server I used to play, I decided to gut out unnneeded aspects as well as optimising and cleaning up nearly every file I don't have a picture due the code change making the drones the same as before. I reskinned to 2 drones with AUSCAM so here is what they look like.
image.png.e3ddeee39f69ee94491f0e02498cce75.png

I saw you mentioned a SWEP for Class A amnestics so if you could show that it would be appreciated.
The Amnestic SWEP was something I'd like to do but as a whole set of Amnestics sweps depending on the type it would determine if it is a spray, needle, etc this would be done if I was to be accepted as a developer (assuming I was approved to work on this).

Last edited:

Cloak

Civil Gamers Expert
Jan 14, 2021
Come find me on TS3 this weekend (Saturday or Sunday) and we'll talk about some starter development tasks and get you set up with your Junior Developer rank. Thanks for your application!

Status
Not open for further replies.