The server actively discourages Surface Breaches

The title contains the main point but I shall give more detail. Yap session incoming that is definitly biased due to my views. I'll try and get as neutral as possible.

Point 1. Reaching it

EZ: Just getting to Floor 2 itself can be tricky because of The Bulk, The Tesla then the EZ turret. As well as that the Corridors are pretty good choke points, which can work for and agaisnt you.

Floor 2: Lobby Turrets. They quite literally have enough knockback that unless you have a TG using Bullet freeze or 079 Hacking them it is very tricky to keep them disabled.

Garage You have 2 different Bulkheads (One of which is bugged so you need to jump to break it) and can have SOP spawning in garage or getting vehicles. Granted vehicles can be destroyed quickly by any SCP, but it can be irratating to be breaking the Garage door only to suddenly have a LAV firing on you.

In summary. it is excedingly difficult to get out of the facility unless the power is off and SOP are occupied.

However, I can see realistically why Foundation would want to minimise the potential for a breach to leave the facility .

Point 2. Who all can reach it

To be blunt. People that pay for VIP/Reality Bender packages get a unedniable advantage.

Both TGs can just bullet freeze themselves and others past the turrets.

079 can Spam disable them if he hacks quickly enough, or can cause a SIte Blackout. (Granted, 079 is the most understandable as he needs skill to hack them off)

As it stands. Non Paying players either need to rely on the previously mentioned jobs. Or get 035 to disable the turret controls. But that can result in all the SCPs being on Floor 2, then hearing "Power Restored to Subsystem: Turret Control"

However. It could be less fun for Nu7 and DEA to deal with surface breaches due to them having a much longer respawn timer.

In summary. Fuck you if you aint VIP you can't breach to surface.

Point 3. Surface itself

Some SCPs are at an active disatvantage on surface while some can be completly overpowered to deal with.

Not gonna list them all but here goes.

173: BadaBing-Badaboom he can appear from anywhere and snap your neck, before vanishing off to destroy a Ranger who just left Ranger Station.

682: Constantly Brodcasts where he is and can get shot to hell and back in areas he has no hope of reaching people in.

7722: Varies. His Melee can be tricky to use but if he can hit crossbow shots he can delete you from the next continent.

All Reality Benders: Ohohohoho you will have a bad time.

966: Can be powerful in Pinewood itself but struggles with the lack of cover in most other places.

As well as that, Surface is just so empty that unles they get mauled by the GOIs, most SCPs just re enter the vents so they actually have something intresting to do.
While it could provide Rp to both surface GOIs to capture then test on a SCP which breached surface. Following that weaponising or Liquidating them. It rarely happens now because SCPs just don't get an incentive to go there.
The Credits you can recieve by F2ing are nice but you can't do it in the middle of Combat, or after being Beamed and cuffed so it can hardly ever happen.

In Summary. SCPs can struggle on surface to do anything or get mauled, and don't have any real incentive to go to surface.

I want to make it clear that I'm NOT SAYING THAT SURFACE BREACHES SHOULD BE EASY.
But that the server actively discourages them, which therefore makes it more appealing to just camp PW Loop and Medbay. But I can see why, especially on Low Pop where you may only have 3-4 SOP even active and only some GOIs on then the breach could be greatly dragged along.

Potential fixes?

This could be fixed by making it at least somewhat easier to reach surface. For example there could be less turrets and weaker bulkheads. Or 1 time per breach SCPs could automatically recieve a Credit reward for reaching surface, instead of having to F2 and forcibly recontain themselves. Just something should happen to make it so SCPs don't feel that their only course of action is to sit outside medbay.

werta600

Jan 5, 2024
Turrets are not op due to their dmg, they are op due to their knockback effect which if you pair it with lag, it can make reaching lobby elevators entirely impossible

Just removing the knockback effect (or at least make big scp inmune to knockback which would make sense)

Preventing surface breaches is the entire gameplay loop of foundation. Making it easier to breach surface is anathema to the whole current point of balancing . We have also had changes made, such as turret reduction, which does make it easier
Turrets are not op due to their dmg, they are op due to their knockback effect which if you pair it with lag, it can make reaching lobby elevators entirely impossible

Just removing the knockback effect (or at least make big scp inmune to knockback which would make sense)
The main issue with Floor 2 is the 3 turrets you need to get past just to reach the lift.

And once you pass the first. You need to commit to it as that turret shoves you back into the path of the remaining two.

Also out of genuine curiosity when were the turrets knockback effects needed? I don't see anything in change logs and still have never noticed any lessened knockback effects

werta600

Jan 5, 2024
The main issue with Floor 2 is the 3 turrets you need to get past just to reach the lift.

And once you pass the first. You need to commit to it as that turret shoves you back into the path of the remaining two.

Also out of genuine curiosity when were the turrets knockback effects needed? I don't see anything in change logs and still have never noticed any lessened knockback effects
i dont think its needed, its one of the reasons most scps wont try to escape unless theres a TG or multiple scp are trying to reach surface

once i tried to reach surface as 682, there was little mtf on for some reason ( with almost 110 players and like 140 ping) and 173 was distracting the other combatives

so i lost like 18k hp just from EZ turret due to lag and knockback (doors where closed so i had to break them), then lost the other 22k from lobby turrets before i could make it to elevators

then nu7 saw i was at 1% bm and just beamed me

absbb8

Aug 15, 2024
They likelymade it like this so UN or cI doesnt get a chance at scp, while it does do that CI does get alot of scps from surface breachs lmao

Here is the Foundation Perspective™:
~1-6 breached players get to completely overwhelm the entirety of server health (usually ~86 players in foundation) with overpowered kill abilities and thousands and thousands of health, while also destroying any kind of passive story RP that is occurring at the time, because doing anything substantial during a Code 5 is Too Dangerous™.
This is justified by it being the SCP Gameplay Loop™ despite the fact that this is not a breach server (Though it may as well be with how often breaches occur, often at the whim of how CI is feeling that day).
Foundation Leadership™ gets to sit in a camera room for ~30 minutes to 1 hour watching people die over and over as they helplessly manage AA, door controls, and other emergency coordination. People scream at them to Call ERT™ despite being unable to do so, which is indicative of how unequipped we are to handle breaches that we NEED to call ERT every single time to make any kind of dent. This is because the counter play to most SCPs is Shoot Then Die, Repeat™, especially when 8837 and TG are breached due to completely being able to ignore tesla gates and turrets respectively.
Then, when the SCPs get to surface, they are without fail either terminated after a lengthy chase, renter vents because surface is boring, or captured by CI, where they get to wait for negotiations in a small room for ~30 minutes to proceed to leaving the pockets of DEA completely emptied.
By this point in time, another emergency has started such as a D-Block Riot, or another breach, leaving the research gameplay once again completely cut off.

So, what am I saying here?
In short, I am now suggesting that we just Nuke every time SCPs breach Floor 2, and give up :D
(this is a semi-joke because this can happen if the breach is bad enough, and would be a realistic decision for foundation to make)

(can you feel the passive aggression)

Here is the Foundation Perspective™:
~1-6 breached players get to completely overwhelm the entirety of server health (usually ~86 players in foundation) with overpowered kill abilities and thousands and thousands of health, while also destroying any kind of passive story RP that is occurring at the time, because doing anything substantial during a Code 5 is Too Dangerous™.
This is justified by it being the SCP Gameplay Loop™ despite the fact that this is not a breach server (Though it may as well be with how often breaches occur, often at the whim of how CI is feeling that day).
Foundation Leadership™ gets to sit in a camera room for ~30 minutes to 1 hour watching people die over and over as they helplessly manage AA, door controls, and other emergency coordination. People scream at them to Call ERT™ despite being unable to do so, which is indicative of how unequipped we are to handle breaches that we NEED to call ERT every single time to make any kind of dent. This is because the counter play to most SCPs is Shoot Then Die, Repeat™, especially when 8837 and TG are breached due to completely being able to ignore tesla gates and turrets respectively.
Then, when the SCPs get to surface, they are without fail either terminated after a lengthy chase, renter vents because surface is boring, or captured by CI, where they get to wait for negotiations in a small room for ~30 minutes to proceed to leaving the pockets of DEA completely emptied.
By this point in time, another emergency has started such as a D-Block Riot, or another breach, leaving the research gameplay once again completely cut off.

So, what am I saying here?
In short, I am now suggesting that we just Nuke every time SCPs breach Floor 2, and give up :D
(this is a semi-joke because this can happen if the breach is bad enough, and would be a realistic decision for foundation to make)

(can you feel the passive aggression)
I do see your point. As I too absolutely love the gameplay loop of
Spawn in ML Office
See C4/5
Try to get to Breach Shelter/EoC
Die because SCPs are sitting outside Medbay
Repeat

Which is so much fun!

I do see your point. As I too absolutely love the gameplay loop of
Spawn in ML Office
See C4/5
Try to get to Breach Shelter/EoC
Die because SCPs are sitting outside Medbay
Repeat

Which is so much fun!
I forgot to add the "Just sit in your spawn and don't come out" crowd who rise from their caverns to immediately rebuke me the second I say something like "/a I do love how SCPs can just charge into medbay with no consequence"