[USA] Executive Darby's Letter of Intent for Director of Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gypsy Bard

Apr 20, 2023
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:56887776
Discord name: thegypsybard
For how long have you played on CG SCP: Roughly 3 1/2 months now. (4 days and 6 hours according to vtime)
In what country are you located?: United States
Time zone: Central (CT/CST) Early Morning
Character name(s): Darby
Civilian name: Eddy "Brooks" Mattz
What server are you applying for?: SCP-RP USA

Do you have a mic?
Yes, and it is used frequently.

List all whitelisted, MTF, or CI roles that you hold or have held:
Executive Researcher (Holding)
MTF Epsilon-11 PVT (Holding)
CI-Beta (Holding)

Have you received any kicks/bans/warning? and why?:
1 FailRP warning. (Silly mistake.)

Why are you applying for Director of Research?
In my time spent on the server, I have without a doubt spent the predominate portion of my time interacting with and within the research department and its various duties. This encompasses both my time as Executive and before I attained the position as a normal researcher. It is during this tenure that I have developed a greater fascination for the community of like-minded roleplayers as much as the world we are immersing ourselves into. With the soon-to-be departure of our current Director of Research Lunaro, I wish to carry on the RP-focused initiative that Kyle is like to take on as his duties by assisting him as his Deputy. After all, without research, there is no driving force to encourage engaging narratives for the other factions to rally around.

What makes you suitable for Director of Research?
I believe I am ready to take on the additional responsibilities of Director due to the dedication I have already shown others in research during my time on the server. I have been an Executive for almost two (2) months now, and in that time I have been involved with many of the processes that are necessary for a Director to be familiar with. My dedication to Executive is apparent, but some specific actions that make me suitable for DoR are as follows:

• Providing input on Executive Researcher applications, and assisting new Executives that are adjusting to their role as Executive Researcher.
  • Providing input on site-wide and departmental documents that impact how our department functions as a cohesive whole.
  • Authorizing and supervising cross-tests for qualified researchers, ensuring they maintain safety for themselves, staff, and their test subjects.
  • Being a presence for the department to reach out to me with questions, test authorizations (whether that's authorizing a test myself, or giving Researchers a plan to get their test authorized by higher-ups).
  • Being present off-site with other members of the Executive team via email correspondence to provide advice or deliberate important topics.
  • Participating as a member of the Board of Education with the primary task of uplifting new researchers to their role within the department.
  • Being an approachable member of the Foundation by speaking with other department members about general items, their input on conduct to maintain good relations between the Research department and other departments, and more.

What are the responsibilities of the Director of Research in RP?
The two main areas of concern for the Director is as follows:

Administrative Duties
  • Seeking potential Executive Researchers, as well as accepting/denying applications that are submitted by Research personnel.
  • Preparing documents with other key Foundation members that impact the overall flow of the Research Department, or providing input on said documents.
  • Scheduling meetings with personnel in regards to policies, check-ins, and more.
  • Meet with current Executive Researchers weekly for weekly updates, their thoughts on the status of the department, and ways to better the department.
  • Constant communication with members of Site Administration & Site Command for important departmental updates and audits.

Research
  • Authorize sample collections of SCP-008-2, or other collections that require CL4+ authorization.
  • Increased ability to authorize Euclid → Euclid & Safe → Keter testing, or providing input on Researchers' testing ideas to be conducted safely if deemed a reasonable test. If a cross-test needs authorization from Site Administration or Site Command, the DoR team is responsible for reviewing/screening the cross-test before it reaches the desks of higher command.
  • Ensure that Researchers are following established policies while testing.
  • Be present on-site with Researchers so they can reach out to inquire about their tests and departmental questions as needed.

Pertinent Audio Logs Attached:

//_Tape_1 Begin//

"-no I'm perfectly comfortable. Really, you don't need- Oh, is it on? Terribly- Yes, yes of course. Ahem."

"Hello! My name is Doctor Cornelius Darby. I'm a researcher for the SCP Foundation, currently stationed at site-65 in- ah, an undisclosed location of northern Canada. This morning marks my third consecutive month of employment within the facility, and thus they wished to have this audio file record my state being for the benefit of those who would wish to consider my psychological profile. Personally, I believe this could have been handled via an in-person interview, but I understand the benefits that lie in analysis capable via third party involvement.

"Prior to my involvement in anomalous studies, I graduated from Carnegie University under a double major in both Parasocial Psychology and Educational Psychology, with a failed attempt at biopsychology during my first two years. Following my graduation I then continued on to obtain my certification in applied practice concerning subjects of major duress with an emphasis on self-actualization. Put succinctly, I worked with those of trauma in the pursuit of reclaiming their lives.

"During this time, I had been making attempts to investigate potential ways of averting or outright negating the harmful effects of devastating mental disabilities such as Alzheimers, dementia, anti-social disorder, et cetera. While I had a strong grasp of the effects and lateral changes caused by the chemical imbalances caused by the symptoms and treatments alike, I simply couldn't accept that modern medicine had still failed to make any progress whatsover in understanding how to combat the afflictions. Due to some, in hindsight poor decision making on my part, I began to delve into more obscure biblioterica regarding the subject. Without wasting all the tape on my exact findings, I found my attention brought to an online chatroom concerning a small town in the Canadian outback that claimed to have proof of a 'miracle pill'.

"Naturally I wrote it off as inane chatter common to the internet, but weeks of pointless research had left me a tad desperate it would seem. Against better judgement, I took an extended holiday and hired a guide to take me to this rural town in order to get to the truth of the matter myself. Well... Just my being here begets the ending, but when I arrived and started asking the wrong questions, I inevitably garnered the attention of the Intelligence Organization- the DEA as they were known before their merger in past weeks. After what I assume was a background check done on me, they approached me with an offer. One that, as you can see, I accepted.

"I'm not sure what I was thinking at the time; honestly, can you imagine just going with some shady people in the middle of nowhere with a claim of forbidden knowledge? I didn't even have any idea they could induce amnesia at the time. For all I know, a simple 'No' would have led to me disappearing! Knowing what I do now however, I doubt I could ever go back to change anything. Especially not since all this talk of reality bending has started to get discussed..."

//Further tape [REDACTED]_// //Tape_2 Begin//

"This recording is being made on 06/01/████ of my own volition and intent. My name is Cornelius Darby, acting Executive Researcher within Site-██. I make this audio log as a personal recording of my current state of mind and manner with full rights given to all clearance level 4 personnel for any use.

"Following Incident Report 33-E I spent several weeks in mandated recovery within the medical wing of Site-█, in order to ascertain both my physical condition and my mental fortitude following the trauma. While I will hardly disclose everything recorded during those sessions here for sake of time, I report that physiologically I am perfectly healthy for a male of my age- Rather, a male of half my age, anomalous changes taken into account. I once again pass my graciousness to Site Administration for allowing my continued tenure despite the brief mishap.

"Progress on the development of my subordinates has been moving along at a snail's pace. The juniors seem to be getting younger and younger every week, with the same attention span deficit still. Were it not for the excellent leadership of my department and my very capable colleagues' dilligent work, I've no doubt our infrastructure would have collapsed long before I arrived.

"Where as before I would spend the minutia of my days catering to each and every care that was brought to my desk, I find myself reinvigorated with an exuberance I had not known for years. Now I can not only take care of my duties on the Board, but also manage extensive testing of my own. The most recent test- an experiment on the effects of SCP-500 on our new strain of SCP-███- was performed and carried out without incident despite the recent changes within heavy containment. Even now I am already beginning a paper focused on the potential applications of various cognitohazards being used to better both ethical and medical advancements within the department and facility as a whole.

"There have yet to be any concerns rise from my ailment on the psychological side as either. While myself and the kind psychiatrists who assist me with my self-diagnosis do recognize patterns of narcisism and obssessive-compulsive tendencies beginning to develop, some minor medication and readjustment therepy are helping to minimize the impact they may have on my longterm health. There have additionally been no signs of my prior affinity for reality bending- a fact which posits further study for the ramifications implied. I still experience headaches when interacting with SCRANTON-relay devices, however. Likely an aftereffect of the biological change.

"I will be concluding this log early, as I have a project to propose to members of Site Administration concerning a subject that has recently come to my notice amongst our supply of D-class personnel. Further logs will be filed under the adjoining folders in the future, with this one archived and tagged appropriately."

//End _Tape_2//

Slab

Sep 1, 2022
Clearance Level: 4
To: Darby
Subject: Foundation Site-65 Role Assignment

Dear Gypsy Bard, thank you for applying for the position. We appreciate the time and effort you put into your application. The Site Administration has thoroughly reviewed your application, and we are pleased to inform you that you have been selected to move on to the next stage of the selection process. Please contact Site Director Havoc at your earliest convenience to discuss the next steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.