Zen's Second Addon Developer Application

Zen

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Sep 16, 2023
In-game name: See forums signature. I primarily go by Zen.
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:94216966
For how long have you played on our servers?: Since August, 2023 (just over 1 year).
What country are you from?: UK.
Time Zone: BST/GMT
Do you have a mic?: Yes.

Is this your first application for Developer? If not, link previous ones:
No, I have applied once before, here and was denied. Since posting this, I have created two things I can show to any Content Team or developers that ask (one is very minor, the other is a bit more complex).

Have you received any bans?: No.

How confident are you with GLua? (Rate yourself 1-10 using rating guide): 7

Do you have any experience with Git?:
Yes. I am a computer science student, and have previous experience in professional, university, and personal use of Git and related tools. Some good examples of this can be found on my GitHub and on my previous employer's public GitLab instance (requires GitHub account to view).

Do you have previous experience as a Developer for GMod?:
Yes. I previously helped with some developer work for a JailBreak gmod server, which led to me doing some work to update the ULX addon for the gamemode, though I didn't finish it. This work can be seen here, primarily under branches named revisit or rework, and under both that account and the VulpusMaximus account- check commits for details about which parts I contributed.

I have also more recently worked on a small addon based on an idea discussed by Content Team. This mod is feature complete, though it needs some slight polish and testing on multiplayer (I have tested it locally on a server, but cannot currently open ports to allow others on it). I am willing to provide the addon and a demo video to any CN developers that ask for it, though will not share with others as it relates to a currently private Content Team idea.

EDIT: I can also show some other in-progress code as examples upon request.

How many hours can you commit to developing per week?:
I should be able to consistently commit the minimum 4 hours, though I will likely be able to contribute more most of the time. I cannot give an exact amount over this, as it will likely vary due to my university work.

Why do you want to be a Developer? What can you help us with?:
I want to be a developer because I enjoy working with GLua (most of the time), and have regularly played on the SCP-RP UK server for a while now. I want to contribute to improving the server, both in new features and in fixes. There are multiple things I want to help with, including both working on reducing the current backlog of bugs and planned features, and working on some specific new ideas, such as increased and improved E&TS content. I have decent GLua skills, am familiar with CN SCP-RP and the feature backlog, and also know a fair amount about other areas of how gmod and the Source engine work - enough to be able to diagnose map issues and make minor tweaks to them in Hammer, and to help in identifying bugs and limitations.

I would primarily want to work on SCP-RP related content, though would also be willing to work on other CN content.

Last edited:

Lion

Senior Developer
Senior Developer
Programming Team
Aug 26, 2023
United States
www.github.com
Are you able to share any more of your work? Just ULX commands and jailbreak modifications doesn't really show enough, especially considering most of the commits are from quite a while ago. There are a few other commits in other repos (mainly https://github.com/JoshuaLeivers/gmod-bind-manager/tree/alpha), but they don't really show too much (in terms of UI and serverside stuff).

Your commits on arm's public GitLab are sort of interesting, but don't really show any glua experience (this is what i'd expect, I doubt arm is going to release a gomd server any time soon).

Related to your time at arm, if you have other TypeScript or JavaScript experience, it would help your application as well (if you're willing to contribute to CNAdmin and a few of our other bespoke projects).

I've seen the video for the content team idea that you brought up, if you believe that it would help your application feel free to DM the video and code to me on discord, and I'll make sure it's considered when looking over your application.

Also, please remember that if your application is accepted you would most likely need to wait a few years before being promoted to core developer, which is the requirement for fixing anything with vwar.

Thanks for your interest in becoming a developer, best of luck with your application.

Zen

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Sep 16, 2023
Are you able to share any more of your work? Just ULX commands and jailbreak modifications doesn't really show enough, especially considering most of the commits are from quite a while ago. There are a few other commits in other repos (mainly https://github.com/JoshuaLeivers/gmod-bind-manager/tree/alpha), but they don't really show too much (in terms of UI and serverside stuff).

Your commits on arm's public GitLab are sort of interesting, but don't really show any glua experience (this is what i'd expect, I doubt arm is going to release a gomd server any time soon).

Related to your time at arm, if you have other TypeScript or JavaScript experience, it would help your application as well (if you're willing to contribute to CNAdmin and a few of our other bespoke projects).

I've seen the video for the content team idea that you brought up, if you believe that it would help your application feel free to DM the video and code to me on discord, and I'll make sure it's considered when looking over your application.

Also, please remember that if your application is accepted you would most likely need to wait a few years before being promoted to core developer, which is the requirement for fixing anything with vwar.

Thanks for your interest in becoming a developer, best of luck with your application.
I will DM you more - anything more recent is not on GitHub.

I do have a minor amount of experience with JavaScript, though really not much.