Partially Accepted Change how Keycard scanners break to make it more interactive/less frustrating

Content that has been partially accepted
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prplex

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
Dec 20, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Changes the way keypads work when broken to either cap the amount of times they can fail to open or change the system to make it more interactive. A way to do that would be to make it a puzzle like with broken electrical boxes or with hacking.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
Think it has been suggested previously, my suggestion is different as it suggests an alternative to just lowering rates of failure.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
Currently failing keypads are incredibly annoying to everyone on sit and only benefit scps, but even then if its somewhere popular the door might just be broken and not do anything to help them. The areas worst affected are E11 and A1. E11 since they have to go all the way out of HCZ with multiple doors in the way and A1 because there is a minimum of 6 doors in between A1 and the rest of the site half of which are level 0. I think this change would make broken keypads more engaging and less frustrating for everyone involved. It would also promote participation in breaches when lots of keypads fail as i know a good portion of people just do something else if keypads are down for too long.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
Dev time
Reduces effectiveness for the people who plays scps

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
I think it should be accepted as currently keypads going down is a sitewide hassle. It discourages gameplay and causes frustration as its down to rng. I'm sure everyone can relate to being stuck at a random level 0 door for five minutes because you're unlucky. It harshly interrupts gameplay and in some cases i wonder whether id be better off just afking instead of spamming E on every door for 2 minutes straight. Broken keypads disrupt everyone in the breaches gameplay and serves to cause frustration. No one likes having an SCP be near your spawn area so everytime you leave spawn it take ages just to be killed and have to do it all over again. My suggestion of making some sort of puzzle related way to open it or limiting the amount it can fail would make it much less frustrating and more engaging and allow you to do more about it instead of everyone having less fun because keypads are broken

Prplex

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
Dec 20, 2023
Billions flock to +Support

Alpa

Jun 23, 2022
+support

keypads breaking is potentially one of the least fun things on the server currently

Bohemia

Oct 23, 2022
+ SUPPORT
I LOVE SITTING AT A DOOR FOR 5 HOURS CLICKING E SO MUCH FUN AND ROLEPLAY I WILL CONTINUE TO ROLEPLAY WHILE THE DOOR STAYS CLOSED I LOVE ROLEPLAYING SO MUCH ROLEPLAY OH MAN THIS DOOR SURE IS TOUGH! ROLEPLAY I LOVE ROLEPLAY SO FUCKING MUCH ROLEPLAY IS AWESOME WHEN I CLICK E ON THE DOOR AND IT DOESNT OPEN I LOVE E KEY ROLEPLAY ROLEPLAY!

KaptianCore

Developer
Developer
Programming Team
Jul 1, 2022
Australia
A way to do that would be to make it a puzzle like with broken electrical boxes or with hacking.
But this is already what's on the electrical box to fix all keypads? I understand maybe limiting the fails but it seems pointless to add the minigame thing to each individual keypad when it could just be done on the box to fix them all.

Mars

Oct 7, 2023
+ SUPPORT
I LOVE SITTING AT A DOOR FOR 5 HOURS CLICKING E SO MUCH FUN AND ROLEPLAY I WILL CONTINUE TO ROLEPLAY WHILE THE DOOR STAYS CLOSED I LOVE ROLEPLAYING SO MUCH ROLEPLAY OH MAN THIS DOOR SURE IS TOUGH! ROLEPLAY I LOVE ROLEPLAY SO FUCKING MUCH ROLEPLAY IS AWESOME WHEN I CLICK E ON THE DOOR AND IT DOESNT OPEN I LOVE E KEY ROLEPLAY ROLEPLAY!
it's ok bohemia, your medication is on the kitchen counter

Prplex

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
Dec 20, 2023
But this is already what's on the electrical box to fix all keypads? I understand maybe limiting the fails but it seems pointless to add the minigame thing to each individual keypad when it could just be done on the box to fix them all.
It's agony to get a tech expert to actually flag on and do his job nevermind to get to multiple boxes across the site with failing keypads and scps in between them. Hence why keypads are almost never fixed mid breach but after. The idea behind the minigame is it still slows people down without being ad frustrating

KaptianCore

Developer
Developer
Programming Team
Jul 1, 2022
Australia
It's agony to get a tech expert to actually flag on and do his job nevermind to get to multiple boxes across the site with failing keypads and scps in between them. Hence why keypads are almost never fixed mid breach but after. The idea behind the minigame is it still slows people down without being ad frustrating
I'm for making it less annoying but a minigame seems more annoying (I agree that it is currently annoying with the keypads but a minigame will make it bad if people get confused on how to do it).

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
I'm for making it less annoying but a minigame seems more annoying (I agree that it is currently annoying with the keypads but a minigame will make it bad if people get confused on how to do it).
If it's just a short, simple connect A to B or something, that would be fine. Definitely better than waiting like 10 minutes at the same door because it won't open

Reactions: Prplex

Alpa

Jun 23, 2022
The minigame could just be a copy paste of the fixing electrical boxes minigame but on a smaller grid, then after completing it the keycard stays fixed for 5 minutes or something

Reactions: Prplex and Zen

Dinklesprinkle

May 11, 2022
instead of people just being able to bypass the point of broken doors themselves i think a nice workaround would be to allow technical jobs to be able to temporarily fix the broken keycard scanners themselves for a small juration

Reactions: Zen
Status
Not open for further replies.