Denied 008 Noises Rule

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Either fix the noises being global (and thus us not knowing if we actually know IC that 008 is present), or have a rule that anyone doing anything with 008 must tell staff first so that they can immediately confirm if 008 is valid in /ooc.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
I can't tell, because you cannot search for the term "008" on the forums, and I am not searching every suggestion ever made manually.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
If fixed:
  • No confusion about what we do/don't know in-character about 008 breaches.
If rule made:
  • Confusion can be quickly cleared up by staff, as they know what is going on already and can just quickly respond when people ask if it is valid.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
If fixed:
  • This would take a bit of dev time to implement
  • Decision would have to be made on where the sound should be heard

If rule made
  • People have to contact staff before every 008 activity, which takes like 5 seconds of their time, and may interfere slightly if under pressure (e.g. being chased by Foundation staff into containment cell).
  • Staff have to pay attention to 008 calls

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
Either of these would significantly improve the RP around 008 breaches, as we'd actually know what was going on and what we knew in-character.

Playdoughzombie

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Event Team
Nov 17, 2022
Arizona
gayballs.gov
-Support

What??? This suggestion doesn't make sense, all staff have to do if 008 breaches is ask CI or 05/Ethics if they did it and its over with this is extremely unneeded.

Wrath

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Event Team
May 17, 2023
-support
If your complaint is people metagaming the 008 noise to know theres an outbreak which is what it sounds like, having a rule where staff confirm in OOC is just going to be metagamed

Invalid 008 breaches are incredibly rare, and even then if they are invalid the way you know is by staff killing all zombies 100 times. Regardless, you are suppose to RP until staff intervenes anyways so it really shouldn't matter to you if the breach is valid or not

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
If hearing the noise is always considered metagaming, then remove the noise altogether as it serves no purpose other than to cause confusion. Generally, if we can hear or see it from our character's perspective, then we know it in-character - having this general guideline violated for this one thing doesn't make any sense and causes problems.

I have been told previously that the noise being global is a bug, so my understanding is that the noise is only supposed to be heard within a certain range and can be used to alert that an 008-2 instance has been created. This might be incorrect, but this is my understanding. Either way, we should not be able to hear it if we can't hear it in-character.

The ruling is just a stopgap measure in case the noise is intended to be an in-character sound but is bugged to be global as was my understanding.

Bill Nye The Guy

May 28, 2022
+support for making 008 scream non site-wide (code blacks are consistently called whenever they hear an 008 scream)
+-neutral for forcing staff confirmation for anything to do with 008

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
+support for making 008 scream non site-wide
That's basically all I want, but I was under the impression it was a dev issue (and those never seem to get fixed).

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
-Support
we have a rule for this and it's called metagaming

Billy Boy

Sep 22, 2023
-Support
i mean yeah, but usually its better to completely block the person from being able to metagame rather than just relying on hope & prayer that they'll comply with the rules

Invalid 008 breaches are incredibly rare, and even then if they are invalid the way you know is by staff killing all zombies 100 times. Regardless, you are suppose to RP until staff intervenes anyways so it really shouldn't matter to you if the breach is valid or not
If I'm in D-Block, should I be hearing the nose for 008 (whos in HCZ)? Would it be in character for me to report a 008 breach in comms?

Reactions: Bill Nye The Guy

Pupper

Jun 6, 2023
-Support
+Support
i would agree but its probably a super simple fix, while they're at it maybe they can fix 096 sound playing from facility all the way to surface?

though the second part I don't like, if staff need confirmation if a 008 breach is fail or not they can just ask CI

Reactions: Bill Nye The Guy
Status
Not open for further replies.