Denied Add a greenlight to DBlock when Ethics and IA are taking calls.

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny "Stink Lord" Jones

May 1, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
This would (assuming GMod's tools accommodate this specific implementation) add a detection zone behind the IA reception desk that if triggered on, would turn on a light in DBlock above the phones to inform that IA is taking calls.

It would not have to be designed in this exact way, as long as it accurately represents whether or not someone is behind the desk. It could also be a switch that turns on, and then turns off after no players are detected in that area.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
Huge roleplay improvement. DBlock would know somebody is there with a glance, and can be assured that there's someone on the other end to take a call.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
At worst, IA is focusing on having dumb phone calls instead of their job duties, but that's more of a roleplay opportunity, since Ambassador spawn is (I believe) in the same office, which means that it's a chance for them to pick up the slack.

Someone could also choose to stand in the zone to leave it on, giving a false positive, which would leave admins with an additional thing to do upkeep on if it becomes a problem.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
This would provide a route to alleviate a lack of roleplay in DBlock, which is important as that's where most new players spawn in. More so, they're contacted with someone who will be more experienced with the server, which can be invaluable to the new player experience.

John Dear

Civil Gamers Expert
Aug 14, 2021
+Support
Instead of a detection zone i would suggest a keycard scanner to toggle the light. Sometimes we are on or near the reception while not manning the phone. We use the office for trainings and other stuff as well.

May 1, 2023
+Support
Instead of a detection zone i would suggest a keycard scanner to toggle the light. Sometimes we are on or near the reception while not manning the phone. We use the office for trainings and other stuff as well.
Yeah, I was thinking the system would work best if it's a manual turn on and an automatic turn off if there is an absence of people in the room.

Murlon

May 31, 2023
Neutral

I agree, this could increase the amount of roleplay by almost encouraging D-Class to interact with IA as they know their call should be answered but, Is this really worth the time (probably not much admittedly) to implement?

It takes very little time to make a single phone call to check. I believe the D-Block phone only goes to the IA office, if people are seeing other inmates speak on the phone, they already have a good idea that someone is answering their calls.

If this could be implemented in less than an hour then sure, great idea. I do support the idea but this certainly isn't as impactful as other suggestions which is why I am neutral, I believe the time could be spent elsewhere.

May 1, 2023
Neutral

I agree, this could increase the amount of roleplay by almost encouraging D-Class to interact with IA as they know their call should be answered but, Is this really worth the time (probably not much admittedly) to implement?

It takes very little time to make a single phone call to check. I believe the D-Block phone only goes to the IA office, if people are seeing other inmates speak on the phone, they already have a good idea that someone is answering their calls.

If this could be implemented in less than an hour then sure, great idea. I do support the idea but this certainly isn't as impactful as other suggestions which is why I am neutral, I believe the time could be spent elsewhere.
You can't send calls to DBlock from IA, which means you have to go over there in person and inform that the line is open. The current expectation (as it feels to me) is that if you call as D Class, no one will answer. It's counterintuitive to sit at the reception desk to wait until somebody from DBlock becomes curious.

Last edited:

grunger

Feb 26, 2023
+

This should be possible, seeing as the sensors in SCP-096's containment chamber can power on or off depending on where it is within the cell.

verybobby

MRP War Criminal
Donator
Oct 10, 2022
Suggestion Denied

Hi @Johnny "Stink Lord" Jones,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion. There is no need to add this. If IA answers the phone, they're there and most likely available. If they don't, they're unavailable at the moment.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

Status
Not open for further replies.