Denied Allow multiple characters in the same faction

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Sep 16, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Allow people to create multiple characters in the same faction, and delete existing characters of theirs.

Any limits on this would be up to developers and Content Team, but ideally would be basically unlimited excepting spam. A good limit might be something along the lines of 15 or so - see my forums signature for how characters can/should be split for an idea of why. If this limit can be made to be a simple dev/SL change, i.e. just updating a number, it would be pretty useful.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
None, other than this suggestion to allow deletion of characters, which was denied as not having a use. Deletion of characters probably should also be added as part of this as it would then have a use.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • Allows you to separate characters, e.g. based on role, or if you want to play multiple characters for any other reason. Right now, you have to manually change your name every time.
    • Not too many people do this right now, but some do. I also (personally) think this should be done more to keep what are supposed to be separate characters actually separate.
    • EDIT: Also allows you to more easily set separate bios/lore
  • Provides a fix for vehicles always being regiment-owned, as you can simply use a character that's not in a regiment if you e.g. want to spawn a vehicle as DEA
  • Allows you to be in multiple regiments without completely reworking the regiment system, as you can just be in one per character, across different characters.
    • CT may not want to allow this generally, but it could be at least useful for allowing people to be part of SA/SC and an MTF, while SA/SC keeps their regiment powers.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  • Dev time
    • I'm hoping that this wouldn't actually be too hard, as there's not much (visible) data tied to your character, and none of it should be a problem for anyone. This might be less dev work than fixing the SA regiment and vehicle ownership issues separately would be, depending on how it's implemented.
    • EDIT: I have seen evidence that having multiple characters is literally only limited by the character creator not allowing you. Having multiple Foundation characters, when done, causes no issue on anything - the only thing that hasn't been tested is being in multiple regiments at once, so that may need to be tested. Literally the only thing that needs to be changed here is changing the code/config from denying you if you have at least one character in the faction to being e.g. denying if at least 15 or something like that. It can even be limited based on faction, so e.g. only 2 GOC, only 1 CI, only 15 F or something.
  • People could spam this if it wasn't both rate limited and total character limited

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
This would be a QoL change for those that have characters with different names, along with fixing a couple of other issues - namely, that SA members can't also be in an actual regiment, and vehicles are always owned by the player's regiment if their character is in one.

I would really appreciate it if a dev would be able to have a look and give a rough estimate of whether this would be particularly difficult to impletor not.

EDIT: Just to be clear, this would mean that people can just stick with one and go on like they already were - they would just then have the option to have multiple characters if they wanted/needed them.

EDIT: Somebody showed a screenshot of an old CG character select screen where they had multiple characters on the same faction, so this has apparently been possible in the past, and apparently it was on SCP-RP.

Last edited:
something else i thought of that this might be helpful for - O5.

i mean the suggestion is partially for the 'site admin' regiment anyway which site command are part of, but i know broda has to switch constantly between their -1 codename and other character names to do whatever it is they want to. might also help with like, if the other people don't realise that that person is also holding an O5 position, then they're deliberately going to try and not fuck up around them; and for them to see like a more unfiltered view of wherever it is they are, whatever it is they're doing, might be useful info to feed back into like how and what a department should be doing.

Reactions: Zen
something else i thought of that this might be helpful for - O5.

i mean the suggestion is partially for the 'site admin' regiment anyway which site command are part of, but i know broda has to switch constantly between their -1 codename and other character names to do whatever it is they want to. might also help with like, if the other people don't realise that that person is also holding an O5 position, then they're deliberately going to try and not fuck up around them; and for them to see like a more unfiltered view of wherever it is they are, whatever it is they're doing, might be useful info to feed back into like how and what a department should be doing.
Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • Allows you to separate characters, e.g. based on role, or if you want to play multiple characters for any other reason. Right now, you have to manually change your name every time.
    • Not too many people do this right now, but some do. I also (personally) think this should be done more to keep what are supposed to be separate characters actually separate.
this

+/- Seems like a lot of effort for not that much value
-Why would you need multiple characters on GOC/CI
-A lot of people just play 1 character or just change their name
+I guess it would fix the vehicle thing? But surely there's an actual fix instead of this
+It would be very helpful to people who like to play several jobs but I don't think its needed right now.
At least in GOC, multiple characters are a thing. The Ambassadors and Attaches are separate from your main.

+ Support

Reactions: Zen

Mr_poptart

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Group Moderator
Jul 17, 2023
Suggestion Denied

Hi <Zen>,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.
The Content Team has chosen to deny your suggestion due to the following reasons.

<We will look into the vehicle claiming bug but otherwise as a team we voted and see that it is not needed>

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.