App rescinded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foodeater

Dec 26, 2022
Australia
steamcommunity.com
Do you have any more examples of modelling work that you have done? Would love to see some more technical aspects in regards to stuff like UV mapping, topology or also any texturing examples you have!

Caesar Kuznetsov

Oct 24, 2022
Do you have any more examples of modelling work that you have done? Would love to see some more technical aspects in regards to stuff like UV mapping, topology or also any texturing examples you have!

When it comes to actually creating the model itself, I mostly don't touch it. I usually get one of my friends to help actually construct the model. However when it comes to bones, I can get it done. While I have no specific examples of models that were 100% mine I did since I just did it casually when I was like 14 for school and kinda just put it aside for mapping / RP purposes, if there's any specific model I can do just as an example lmk.

If there's any specific task that needs to be done to prove myself in that regard, I have been wanting to make a fully custom 457 model as of late for a suggestion I was going to do on forums. Since his model as of current is just a stock GMod charred corpse.

Last edited:

Harry

Developer
Developer
Mapping Team
Aug 28, 2021
Do you have any examples of mapping you could show or send me, this would allow me and the rest of the devs to create adequate responses. I see your current posts but any examples of lighting and more in depth work?

Caesar Kuznetsov

Oct 24, 2022
Do you have any examples of mapping you could show or send me, this would allow me and the rest of the devs to create adequate responses. I see your current posts but any examples of lighting and more in depth work?
1696291731167.png
1696291762970.png
1696291779851.png
1696291788391.png

1696291802658.png

1696291822381.png

1696291849631.png
1696291868077.png

I don't usually do lighting or texturing. I just focus on structure, as can be seen in the images above. Lighting is pretty simple as concept, but prior to doing more research into it I thought there was a lot that went into lighting optimization. I've never really been asked to do it before and didn't bother.

Lmk if there's any specific room ideas I could make & light just as an example. At the moment, I do not believe I'd be able to texture, I don't think I have the creative mind for it nor the skills required.

Lord_Fr3ze

Senior Developer
Senior Developer
Mapping Team
Content Team
Jan 3, 2022
I don't usually do lighting or texturing. I just focus on structure, as can be seen in the images above. Lighting is pretty simple as concept, but prior to doing more research into it I thought there was a lot that went into lighting optimization. I've never really been asked to do it before and didn't bother.

Lmk if there's any specific room ideas I could make & light just as an example. At the moment, I do not believe I'd be able to texture, I don't think I have the creative mind for it nor the skills required.

Lighting is a very important step in order to make the area that you build feel real and atmospheric by the player, if this step is not done properly. You could have the best models and structure design in the world, but without good lighting, none of that can be utilized.

Additionally, from the given screenshots, you seem like that you are able to work your way around the brush tool and how to edit Vertexes and such. But in reality we don't really "detail" with brushes, they are only used to put down basic walls, floors and ceilings. Sometimes we have to use brushes to reach the detail that we need, but that usually then gets turned into models or func_detail.

Optimization is a big topic here, as we always play near the limits of what we can put into a map, so knowing how to use as fewer brushes as possible, knowing how to not overdo it is an important factor. Alongside this there is a lot of other stuff too, like Visleaf optimization done through hint/skip, Areaportals to precisely optimize key areas, using Static Prop Combine to merge props together in areas to reduce drawcalls, compressing textures to reduce possible stuttering and much more. Not that you need to know all of this, but hint/skip and Areaportal usage is something that needs to be mastered, at least here, since we try to optimize everything as much as possible.

Caesar Kuznetsov

Oct 24, 2022
Lighting is a very important step in order to make the area that you build feel real and atmospheric by the player, if this step is not done properly. You could have the best models and structure design in the world, but without good lighting, none of that can be utilized.

Additionally, from the given screenshots, you seem like that you are able to work your way around the brush tool and how to edit Vertexes and such. But in reality we don't really "detail" with brushes, they are only used to put down basic walls, floors and ceilings. Sometimes we have to use brushes to reach the detail that we need, but that usually then gets turned into models or func_detail.

Optimization is a big topic here, as we always play near the limits of what we can put into a map, so knowing how to use as fewer brushes as possible, knowing how to not overdo it is an important factor. Alongside this there is a lot of other stuff too, like Visleaf optimization done through hint/skip, Areaportals to precisely optimize key areas, using Static Prop Combine to merge props together in areas to reduce draw calls, compressing textures to reduce possible stuttering and much more. Not that you need to know all of this, but hint/skip and Areaportal usage is something that needs to be mastered, at least here, since we try to optimize everything as much as possible.

Well, I am always willing to learn new things. If accepted, I will dedicate as much time as I can into learning better ways of optimization & the ins and outs of good lighting. I am very dedicated to increasing the quality of the server and the overall quality of the player experience in any way that I can, so whether it be through making / editing SWEPs, mapping, modeling and or bone work, I am more than willing to put in the needed work to producing content that is up to Civil Networks standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.