Accepted Bring over MRP regimental keycard levels

This suggestion has been accepted for future development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
On MRP, vkeycards supports keycard scanners having two clearance levels attached: a regimental one, and an override level. To my knowledge this would work (using SCP regiments) where a door would allow through e.g. CL3 E-11 or CL4 for any other regiment/role - people with CL3 of any other regiment or role would not be able to open the door. I believe this can also support multiple regiments on a single scanner. I am not sure if the version of vkeycards the SCP servers use don't currently support the feature, or if it simply isn't used on the SCP servers.

This could be useful and make sense in a few specific areas and circumstances. Namely, it would be useful for areas where certain regiments have jurisdiction or specific reason to be there, but where others of the same clearance level do not. A specific example would be 682's containment being changed from being simply CL4 to being E-11 CL3 with override CL4 - this specifically would make sense, as currently E-11 cannot actually monitor this area for intruders or breaches without a CO+ being present, despite that not making sense.

Doing it this way might also mean it would make sense to change things to have e.g. CL2 MTF roles, as it would allow more flexibility with area access, but that's a separate decision. Along with this, it might allow ISD to have CL3 levels rather than the strange CL3.5 position they seem to be in now, as they would be able to be simply added to regimental access to areas they need access to.

There are a few other areas of the site that I think it could make sense to change this, and levels that make sense to me using this system, but it'd be up to whoever within staff decides these things in the end, for balancing and what makes the most sense.

Some ideas I had about what areas could be changed using this feature, but these are just ideas and the actual suggestion itself here is just adding/using the feature at all:
  • Outer or control room of 008 being E-11 CL3, override CL4/5
  • 682 containment being E-11 CL3, override CL4
  • E-11 bunks being SA/A-1/O-1/E-11 CL3, override CL4
  • Front gate being Nu-7 CLX, override CLX+1 (with X being whatever it currently is)

This could also be expanded on to either work for specific departments too (e.g. IA, DEA), or for those departments to be made regiments and allow multi-regiment players. This is also just an optional extra idea, as it would then allow for e.g. interro to be CL3 IA + ISD, override CL4.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
Not that I could find. I found suggestions for other changes to keycards, but couldn't find this specific change.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • Makes access to some areas make a more sense both in RP and in gameplay, e.g. E-11 should definitely have access to 682 and 079 containment chambers but currently don't, while not allowing every CL3 to access those areas.
  • Is hopefully an existing or easily portable feature of vkeycards, so is hopefully not too much work to implement
  • Allows more flexibility in clearance levels for regiments that is not currently possible (e.g. there could be a CL2 MTF member)

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  • Possibly takes dev work to port from MRP, if the feature isn't already present for both
  • Decisions would need to be made by staff on how the TE-5 should interact with this, and (hopefully minor) changes would need to be made to allow it to work with this if it can't already
  • People would likely want this to also apply to things like IA, tech experts, DEA, etc. and I don't believe that is currently supported with a simple feature port

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
I am hoping this isn't too hard to port (or is already possible and simply not currently used), and it would improve the clearance level system and door access without making it particularly complicated. There are various areas where this change would make a lot of sense and improve things quite a lot (e.g. E-11 being able to open 079 doors would make that room a bit less impossible to take back when CI are holding it, and it just makes sense).

Reactions: Bismarck

Niox

Jan 23, 2023
682 is strictly clearance level 4 information and no one with clearance 3 should have access to the containment area

-support
E11 know about every SCP on site? Even 008 and 682 guh?
I also think if it breached every day you would know what it looked like.

MOIST_

Jun 24, 2022
+Support Personally I find this addition very useful (Experience from mrp)

Skittles

Donator
Oct 20, 2022
682 is strictly clearance level 4 information and no one with clearance 3 should have access to the containment area

-support
E-11 know the details of every SCP on site, including all CL4 ones,

+support

Bill Nye The Guy

May 28, 2022
Ci/Dclass escapees hack out cl3 scps all the time and succeed I don't believe this suggestion changes that much.
if we assume a CL3 job-locked door works the same as a CL3 biometric door, every CL3 SCP will be a CL4 hack to OPEN ITS DOOR with no counter play, and the few CL4 SCPs will become CL5 hacks JUST TO GET INSIDE...

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
+Major Support
front gate is CL3, btw. DEA use it, too

Last edited:

World

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Event Team
Donator
Group Moderator
May 31, 2023

Jonas Enry

SCP-RP Staff
Donator
Mar 4, 2023
Ireland
+-neutral would make it really difficult for CI/D-class escapees to do anything onsite
I think the suggestion means for there to be an override for those regiments not make it exclusive. So at 682 for instance make it so E-11 cl3 jobs can open the door but it is still a cl4 job

Kevin Ki

Dec 7, 2022
if we assume a CL3 job-locked door works the same as a CL3 biometric door, every CL3 SCP will be a CL4 hack to OPEN ITS DOOR with no counter play, and the few CL4 SCPs will become CL5 hacks JUST TO GET INSIDE...
Dude CI get CL3 and 4 cards easily just moving through the foundation/doing surface combat. Most of the time they don't hack SCP doors, then hacking out the SCP is easy, especially since E11 no longer knows the location of the hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.