Denied Changing the Level Requirements to Make a GOC Character.

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
This suggestion would change the current code-baked level requirements to make a GOC character from:
- Total Level: 80 and Combat Level: 25 to;
- Total Level: 70 and Combat Level: 15.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
Not that I saw scrolling through a few pages of search results (GOC is apparently too short, sob.)

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
- Would allow good RPers into another regiment that has always been geared to RP without having to go through the utter slog that is leveling.
- Allows more variety in regiment choice for players.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
- Would force the US and UK to conform.
- Some would argue this drops the quality of players that can join the faction. This is where most of my yap starts, so forgive me.

The original entry level requirements were decided by Yeke, Cloak, and both US and UK CO's at the time of the regiment's implementation. This, if I'm getting my history right, was back when the player cap was 25 and it still required applications on the forum. The original intent, as far as I'm aware, was for the GOC to be a smaller, more specialized regiment with a much stronger loadout and job roles. It would make sense why the level reqs were set so high (kind of, but I'll get into that later.)

At this point, the philosophy of the GOC has completely changed. The player cap was recently changed to 65 (after having slowly risen since the Coalition's inception on the server). We're a larger force because so many people have expressed interest in joining the faction, allowing more avenues for RP and character development and more variety for a player that might not find anything that interests them in Foundation or CI.

It's my belief that with that philosophy change, we should take a look back at the levels and ask why it's set so high in comparison to other regiments and CI. At this point, it's a holdover from when the GOC was smaller and is holding back good roleplayers from joining a regiment that interests them.

I'm also going to go into why I think level requirements are somewhat of a terrible way to deduce quality.

Levels ARE somewhat of a way to filter out the minges, obviously. A guy logging onto GMod to spew some slurs is not going to sit through the slog of leveling to join a faction just to minge on that faction. However, there's a certain break point where we have to realize the minges have been filtered out. CI's was set at 40. Our's was set at 80, to make the faction feel more unique and elite.

*But*, let's all be honest, at a certain point levels are just fluff. The implementation of levels on this server shows nothing but a dedication to spending time getting credited on GenSec, or sitting in breach queue for eight hours. There's no actual quality attached to levels (the only quality I'd argue is shown is high enough research levels, as good documents net a huge amount of XP), simply time spent on the server.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
At the end of the day, I just want to reward good roleplay. With the current level requirements, I believe we're gatekeeping good RP and player choice for no other reason than it was set in the past and never changed for the future. At a certain point, levels show nothing but time spent on the server and is not an indication of quality roleplay, and it's only harming player choice to have our cap as high as it is.

Verlocity

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Feb 18, 2024
Suggestion Denied

Hi @The Guardian,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.
The Content Team has chosen to deny your suggestion due to the following reasons.

Reason:
The level requirement change would require aggreement would from both GENs of GOC on both the USA and UK server. Furthermore it should be kept to a high level req so that RP is the main focus because it will attract higher level players with more RP experience.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

• Sad
Reactions: Emilia Foddg
Status
Not open for further replies.