Accepted Chat Filter

This suggestion has been accepted for future development.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2022

What does this suggestion change/add/remove

Adds to the server a filter on anything in chat that revolves around:
  • Slurs - Homophobic, Racial, or other severely derogatory.
  • Sexual Talk - Such as the word "cum", etc.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?

Surprisingly not.

Possible Positives of the suggestion

I think that the positives are pretty self-explanatory. Less toxicity, less chance of NSFW content being put in chat, etc.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion

None!

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted

I think that this should be accepted as I've noticed an upward trend lately of people being overly toxic in OOC and this would kinda just remove some of the un-needed stuff from chat. Instead of seeing someone say the hard R we'd just see something like "(OOC) "Recker": ******". Also a word filter should be relatively super easy to do. All you really need to do is find the chat function and use a for loop to check for blacklisted words and do a string replace for the said words.

Prplex

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
Dec 20, 2023
Idk if gmod has a built in one like tf2 but honestly for the most part in 2 months I can only recall 2 or 3 instances of people saying derogatory things in chat and they all got banned less than 10 minutes later. Also under negatives you'd have to add dev time to implement it, a lot of stuff like this hasn't been added yet cause while it's a good idea it's not a priority

Nov 26, 2022
Idk if gmod has a built in one like tf2 but honestly for the most part in 2 months I can only recall 2 or 3 instances of people saying derogatory things in chat and they all got banned less than 10 minutes later. Also under negatives you'd have to add dev time to implement it, a lot of stuff like this hasn't been added yet cause while it's a good idea it's not a priority
Speaking from a development perspective (Backend developer here); the time needed would be absolutely minimal. I have a large history making Discord bots and could make a filter on a bot easily in less than 5 minutes.

Jul 15, 2023
i would be ok with a filter that isn't like, too aggressive and doesn't partially or fully censor a word because it contains something that's in the word blacklist.

i know this seems unlikely to most of you, but this is a thing that does happen with poor censor implementations, words like 'succumb' or 'raccoon' partially contain things that would reasonably be in a filter like this. and even then, you have phrases like 'magna cum laude' ...which to be fair, is not a great example here, but my point there is there are some phrases that in when considered in an isolated space without any other context make sense to ban, but in RP, in context, make sense to be used without second thought, because it's about that thing.

like there's a science to making a filter catch enough and give people trying to circumvent it to drop the hard R enough trouble when trying to do so, but not so aggressive that a nu7 on surface would be letting a visiting GOI into the gates with "yeah sure, **** ******"

and that's honestly the big problem with this suggestion,
Speaking from a development perspective (Backend developer here); the time needed would be absolutely minimal. I have a large history making Discord bots and could make a filter on a bot easily in less than 5 minutes.
like yes, a simple one you can do very quickly, but a good one that sufficiently catches malicious actors without interfering with roleplay takes like hours of working out the exact implementation, potentially fine-tuning and screwing around with regex or similar, etc. now of course,
+Support
This exists on MRP
if that is to like a sufficient capacity and quality, then sure. but if not, then i imagine the dev work for this will not be as straightforward as you believe it to. and even then, simply porting something over is not an immediately straightforward operation because funny gmod scripting and such. dumb stuff always rears its head when you get down to brass tacks.

regardless,
+Support
if this is deemed at all feasible. i've mostly just laid out all of the issues with actually making this work

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022
i would be ok with a filter that isn't like, too aggressive and doesn't partially or fully censor a word because it contains something that's in the word blacklist.

i know this seems unlikely to most of you, but this is a thing that does happen with poor censor implementations, words like 'succumb' or 'raccoon' partially contain things that would reasonably in a filter like this. and even then, you have phrases like 'magna cum laude' ...which to be fair, is not a great example here, but my point there is there are some phrases that in when considered in an isolated space without any other context make sense to ban, but in RP, in context, make sense to be used without second thought, because it's about that thing.

like there's a science to making a filter catch enough and give people trying to circumvent it to drop the hard R enough trouble when trying to do so, but not so aggressive that a nu7 on surface would be letting a visiting GOI into the gates with "yeah sure, **** ******"

and that's honestly the big problem with this suggestion,

like yes, a simple one you can do very quickly, but a good one that sufficiently catches malicious actors without interfering with roleplay takes like hours of working out the exact implementation, potentially fine-tuning and screwing around with regex or similar, etc. now of course,

if that is to like a sufficient capacity and quality, then sure. but if not, then i imagine the dev work for this will not be as straightforward as you believe it to. and even then, simply porting something over is not an immediately straightforward operation because funny gmod scripting and such. dumb stuff always rears its head when you get down to brass tacks.

regardless,
+Support
if this is deemed at all feasible. i've mostly just laid out all of the issues with actually making this work
That is indeed very true - I was just more-so referencing a simple solution. Appreciate all of the feedback none the less!

+ Support
In my opinion, its ridiculous that this doesnt already exist. People are very able to send blatant slurs in chat or blatant sexual content and, while they don't get away with it, it can cause significant reactions in OOC. Best solution would be to allow flagged messages to get 'ghosted' in a way that appears like it has sent on the user's client, however it is instead flagged to staff and not shown to the playerbase.

Reactions: "Recker"
+Support
Ima be honest making an filter isnt gonna block out everything of course it gonna block off the most things but something racist can just be said with an space between every character making it most likey still going though (if this makes sense).
Also people can use other languages or something like "Ḛͭ̉̇͟x̛̘̠̹͋ā̤̓̍͘ḿ̬̏ͤͅp̞̈͑̚͞l̙͖̑̾ͣẹ̿͋̒̕" that wouldt been caught with the Filter
but the basic idea is cool ig

Jul 15, 2023
+Support
Ima be honest making an filter isnt gonna block out everything of course it gonna block off the most things but something racist can just be said with an space between every character making it most likey still going though (if this makes sense).
Also people can use other languages or something like "Ḛͭ̉̇͟x̛̘̠̹͋ā̤̓̍͘ḿ̬̏ͤͅp̞̈͑̚͞l̙͖̑̾ͣẹ̿͋̒̕" that wouldt been caught with the Filter
i mean i imagine that it would also still be a rulebreak when you do this - especially by circumventing a filter. i get that the possibility of circumvention makes it less appealing as a method to try and deal with it, but imo is still useful as a method of mitigation

Nov 26, 2022
+Support
There's a method of deciphering aspects of text (called a string in coding) and this method is called regular expression (otherwise known as Regex). Developers will more than likely use it to make this. For example, if "cum" is a blacklisted word they can make a regular expression check if "cum" is used by itself instead of a misspelling of the word "cummunicating" or even something with spaces in it such as "c umaceous". So in theory, someone saying "c u m" with spaces and everything will still get the word filtered out.

Status
Not open for further replies.