Denied Increasing the normal GMs prop limit to 200

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Nye The Guy

May 28, 2022
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Increasing the normal GM (not TGM or SGM) prop limit at least to 200

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
Gives more freedom for GM builds
Allows GM builds to look more detailed and overall far better

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
Possible lag, although I've sometimes seen senior admins+ spawn dupes that span the ENTIRE GM PLANE for one training that are at least like 400 props so there's a little hypocrisy here if we're talking about reducing lag. I've seen these things stay up there for upwards of an hour with nobody inside disrupting every other GM who wants to build there, not to mention the various methods of stopping lag that the server has like disabling all prop physics and so on. The only time I have ever seen lag at a giant build is when we did the MC&D events with 100 people inside of one big dupe in the GM plane, everybody inside was pretty much watching a powerpoint presentation and I crashed at least 5 times. The event prep, however, when there wasn't 100 people inside of this dupe, was a lot better when it came to lag.
The US' reality shifting event where everybody was moved to a dupe made up of only about 100 props had just as much lag, admittedly this was months ago before further optimisations though

The possibility that some GM with bad intentions could abuse this. To be honest though the entire point of TGM is to trial them and see if they are actually good at being one, right? I'm also not really sure how a GM with 200 props can do much damage aside from putting big walls in front of every spawn door, you can do that with less than 100 though so if you want to stop this then reduce our prop limit to 50

TL;DR :
Using lag as an argument against increasing the prop limit is hypocritical and the server already has methods to reduce lag.
From my experience, the majority of lag 'caused' by these big dupes only shows up when there are a LOT of people inside of them.

GMs with bad intentions will be weeded out at the TGM stage. You can't do much more to grief the server with 200 props than with 150. All it really takes is 50 props to block all spawn doors.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:

It's very annoying to make big builds accomodate such a small prop limit, especially if you want people to do more than gawk at something behind a window. Making a dupe both explorable and good looking with only 150 props is not feasible unless you've only got one or two rooms. If you're willing to put the time into making a big build I don't think you should be stopped by an arbitrary number that you can't pass.

To anybody who says "You can ask another GM to paste in a second portion of the build" this makes running an event with said build more tedious and annoying to do. Others have also said "ask a senior admin to spawn in your dupe if it's really big" or "save it in parts". While these are all solutions to this problem, they aren't very good ones - having to split your dupe in two just to get the full thing down is very tedious and finding somebody who is free to install your dupe, put it down, and for sure won't have to disconnect mid-event isn't the easiest thing to do. It also makes moving the dupe from one part of the GM plane to another (e.g. to the GM dark-room) impossible to do since you'll now have to line up 2 or more dupes in a completely new area which is very difficult, trust me.

TL;DR :
It's very annoying and almost impossible to make a remotely good looking large build that people can explore with a prop limit so low
Current solutions to this problem, mainly asking others to spawn in parts of your dupe, is tedious, risky, and makes moving the dupe to any different part of the GM plane basically impossible.

Last edited:

Speff

Jan 17, 2023
+support

not a GM myself, but this is a very well made suggestion and makes sense

Broda

Game Master
Game Master
Mar 20, 2022
+Support

Even with my 250 prop limit, It caps my creativity and the events I can do. I have historically had to rely upon Super Admins to spawn in dupes to host major server events like the MC&D one on UK that has just gone by. Whilst more props would be great, the GMs would need more vetting in my opinion if we were to give them the ability to build more.

I think with the current sacrifice the GM team has had to make with the recent Pac3 embargo, I think a prop increase would make up for it and show we do get support with what we do from Leadership.

Last edited:

harryflynndev

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
DarkRP Staff
Platform Team
Aug 2, 2023
London, England
harryflynn.dev
+ Support

I feel like the increase from 150 to 200 wouldn't hurt the server too badly in terms of performance from personal experience. Events could be greatly improved as at the minute, I've heard GMs have to do really weird things to make events work due to prop limit being low.

Reactions: Bill Nye The Guy

Caeden

Civil Gamers Expert
Donator
Dec 21, 2021
+support

150-200 really shouldn't hurt that bad, would make bigger events easier and hopefully improve the quality & size of builds for these events

Reactions: Bill Nye The Guy

RedSpeeds

Civil Gamers Expert
Donator
Mar 15, 2022
+Support

Id go even further and say give SGM unlimited props while giving GM 250 and make TGM be a 100

Rushi

Community Supervisor
Community Sup.
Content Team
Group Moderator
May 23, 2022
Suggestion Denied

Hi @Bill Nye The Guy,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.

The Content Team has chosen to deny your suggestion because unfornately having more props would contribute to server lag, which is something that we're trying to reduce.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

Status
Not open for further replies.