Denied Interactive, restockable, repairable vending machines

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Add a new vending machine entity that:
  • Dispenses snacks for money, that can be eaten, up to MRE-level restoration (if not just dispensing MREs)
  • Chefs can either stock with food items, or a new item they can buy (e.g. via Entities menu) called "Vending Machine Stock"
    • Ideally the former, so chefs are encouraged to still cook food - maybe limited on the types of foods that can be put in there, but honestly not really an issue
    • Upon the food items being bought, the chef then gets compensated a reasonable, profitable amount
    • Chef would maybe press E on the vending machine and get an extra option to stock it, then have an inventory menu where they can "trade" food items into it (maybe can also remove items that they put in, but not other people's items, and restricted to food items)
    • Players possibly limited to having a certain number of items in each/all vending machines, to avoid one chef hogging them all or something
  • Vending machines can break down, either due to damage or after a certain amount of use at random, to be fixed using a repair tool
  • Maybe some new low-level food items like crisps, etc. can be added that are suitable for a vending machine - optional
  • Replace the map props in areas like F3, PW, EZ, etc. of vending machines with this new interactable
  • Possibly add a few more of these in other places, like UHCZ, E-11 bunks, etc.
EDIT: The way I imagine this working is that admins/Sr. Admins can run a command or use the toolgun or something to place a new one of these, similar to keypads. The actual thing itself would make the vending machine noises, and would have the option of:
  • Vending machine prop A (like what is in PW main area)
  • Vending machine prop B (like what is in medbay)
  • Coffee machine prop (like what is in Floor 3)
  • Any other existing good props for this
  • Invisible/intangible, so it can be attached to map props, or any perma props

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
Only remotely similar thing I could find was this, but this didn't have vending machines work in at all the same way with chefs, and the vending machine part wasn't even addressed at all in the rejection.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • Gives chef a more active role by default - at the moment it is entirely up to them to cook things and then find someone that happens to need food - this is awkward, and this way allows them to make money and the like in various areas
  • Gives E&TS roles another thing to do
  • Gives chefs and E&TS roles opportunities to go to more areas and interact with more people, promoted RP interactions
  • Makes hunger system less annoying, by providing more opportunities to acquire food than just finding a random chef now and then or buying MREs
  • Makes the map feel more interactive and immersive
  • Can likely reuse the existing vending machine models - there's already two on the server, maybe make it an option of which to use when placing one?

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  • Dev time
  • Makes active interactions with chefs possibly more rare, though it also may increase overall chef activity so it may balance out - depends on how it plays out. As it is, I never interact with chefs anyway.
  • A few more entities around the map

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
It adds more for chefs to do, including more opportunities for them to interact with people and areas that they normally wouldn't. It also makes the hunger system a lot more reasonable with the ready access to food. Also gives another thing to E&TS roles to do, though small, which they have a very limited amount of things to do by default.

Last edited:

Geronimo

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Jan 29, 2023
United Kingdom
+ Support
Good idea, maybe let chefs sell their things in there, more like a store for chefs?

Reactions: Zen

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
+ Support
Good idea, maybe let chefs sell their things in there, more like a store for chefs?
Yeah, that's part of the idea. It would essentially act as a market for chefs, but in a more passive and RP-friendly way. Like, ideally chefs wouldn't be able to set prices to avoid weird pricing or them causing weird competition, but prices would be standardised to ones that are reasonable but profitable. If they want to sell their food in the same ways they already have been, they can, but this provides a way to passively get more income and sell more food.

grunger

Feb 26, 2023
+

Something basically identical exists on DarkRP. This could be a fun, relatively simple implementation. Chef RP will thrive.

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
+Major Support
Now that every decal is no longer an entity (as we switched over to our own decal system instead of using Blue's Decals), there's room for more stuff like this in the overall entity budget.

This would also create an entirely new gameplay loop that promotes RP and further justifies the existence of the hunger system as well as the Chef & Engineering jobs. This would potentially create regular RP for Floor 2 and also possibly Garage, between Engineering roles, Chefs, Nu-7, DEA, A-1 & GOC (like if GOC are visiting for whatever reason) - As well as regular RP for Medbay between Engineering roles, Chefs and Medical.

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
+support
Let us sell chemicals on it to
honestly, the concept of a vending machine that sells chems AND food is kinda hilarious, but i don't think fits well

however, i like the idea - if it's possible for this system to be like, be implemented at base in an abstract way - so like just have a vending machine system that a definable job can sell definable things to and then that goes into its persistent stock that can sell to all jobs

then off of that, you can just set a food one that can be filled by chefs and a chems one that could be filled by... eh, any research and medical jobs, i guess. expandable if and where desired, too.

i'd +Support that.

Glazzing

May 31, 2023
Des Moines, Iowa
honestly, the concept of a vending machine that sells chems AND food is kinda hilarious, but i don't think fits well

however, i like the idea - if it's possible for this system to be like, be implemented at base in an abstract way - so like just have a vending machine system that a definable job can sell definable things to and then that goes into its persistent stock that can sell to all jobs

then off of that, you can just set a food one that can be filled by chefs and a chems one that could be filled by... eh, any research and medical jobs, i guess. expandable if and where desired, too.

i'd +Support that.
I don't like your opinion that it doesn't fit well so -support your +support

Snavier

May 5, 2023
-/+ Support

I am weary on this one. A lot of shit already breaks the server enough and I fear this will constantly cause the server to kill itself every time I remove a titties from the vending machine.. But it's good for some nice rp.

Jack Kincaid

Mar 14, 2023
Suggestion Denied

Hi Zen,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.

The Content Team has chosen to deny your suggestion because this would take too much dev work for a minor change that can still be done using /me or /it.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

Status
Not open for further replies.