Accepted Jack Azura - backstory age 977 real time

This suggestion has been accepted for future development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Mirai (未来)

Junior Developer
Junior Developer
Programming Team
Game Master
Jan 5, 2021
Romania
Tabibito no okatanatachi
旅人大刀たち

The waniguchi is struck firmly, followed by silence. The traveller kneels patiently in seiza, his dark opaque helmet lowered, awaiting the results of his efforts and training. The soft sounds of Geta on tatami approach from the side and stop in front of him.

Azura, your skill in iaijutsu has been effortlessly demonstrated, but you are still not at your peak.”
The traveller slightly looks up, as if unsure what the master meant.

“‘A weapon is only as strong as the person wielding it’ is a phrase I am sure you are familiar with. But in your case, a bushi is limited by the effectiveness of his weapon. We gave you the best and it was not enough.”

A rustle is heard and the ceremonial robe of the master starts becoming visible as he kneels down iaigoshi in front of him. The master holds two long saya, offering them to him.

“You will go and forge weapons of your own, build them as strong as your form… ‘Azure form X’. When your okatana cut as thoroughly as your mind does, I will accept your request for a duel.”

The traveller ceremoniously accepts the two saya with a bow, then gets up and mounts them on his left side. He bows again to his master.
“I will return to you, Sensei, when I will have weapons worthy of myself… and when I will be worthy of your time.”

The master sighs quietly, giving him permission to leave.
From then, he tried many different metals and alloys to use as blade material and all proved themselves inferior to his expectations, beit that some were better than what the dojo could provide. On one starry night, he gazed up at the infinite, trying to find inspiration for this exceedingly simple and somehow unachievable task. His view would be drawn to the dim golden lights, slowly rising to the sky… the Tsunan yuki matsuri was in full effect.
He got up and started to slowly levitated upwards, observing the little lanterns that gently float in the wind… and got an idea.

“The chochin are an extension of the people’s… ideals, their hope. The people themselves can’t measure up… can’t fly away, no… but their ideas can, their souls can go further than their body will let them…”

He put his hand to one of the saya and drew the tsuka, looking closely at the habaki, which had no blade to hold.
“Maybe, in that same idea and form… I need to use my ideal- no, my soul itself… to reach the destination, if the flesh of this earth is not sufficient. Metal or mettle… right now they can be the same thing.”

The tsuba trembled just a bit as his grip on the tsuka increased. If conventional eyes were part of Azure form X, they would be closed right now. He focused on the idea… and the shape of what he wished he could wield - a weapon that could do its job better than any other, which wouldn’t be easily blocked, neither by another’s sword, nor by flesh. A golden light starts to form around the handle. Its wielder's breathing grew heavier by the second, as he felt part of him start to rip off on his will, imbuing itself into his goal… and finally taking form and crystalizing itself into a glowing golden blade, taking the tsuka as its home. Its size was precisely what was envisioned, an okatana that would fit its saya perfectly.

The iaijutsuka felt weaker, like a quarter of his stamina, strength and speed had vanished, and that held true despite him trying to dismiss the thought. Wanting to catch his breath a little further, he went to sheath his new sword but stopped himself as soon as he saw the kissaki slice cleanly through the koiguchi, leaving a clear chip in it. He then retracted the blade and looked at it; In that moment, he found the solution to both issues.
“I decree upon thee: Condense into a core when you are in your saya. When drawn, expand again; You are part of me and will do as I command.”

After he finished talking, he moved to sheath the okatana again, slowly pushing it against the koiguchi. As it has been ordered, the blade starts to vanish the more it is hidden. With a satisfying clink, the new weapon is fully sheathed. The man lets out a sigh of relief, feeling the fatigue from before now almost completely gone. But then he looks at the second, empty saya, with concern - he would have to do it all over again… and he hesitated not one second further.
“You are part of me and will do as I command…” he repeats the decree while the blade forms itself, noticeably faster than the first attempt, now that he understands how the process works.

Once the second okatana was finished and sheathed, he breathed heavily again, feeling heavy and slow. By pure arithmetic, he was now at about half of his previous strength, but he couldn’t just let that keep him down. He had reached a new milestone, a new step in his life.
“I declare this moment of my life... the shape of what I am now… Azure form Y

As simple as saying that, he got up, growing rapidly accustomed to his vessel’s current state and his soul’s halved size. The mission was accomplished after just three years; It was time to return and prove himself. Patiently climbing the hundreds of stairs up to the shrine, the lone traveller thought badly about his current state and how his master might think he became weaker and, in that spirit, the ideas of failure and rejection struck at his mind. Reaching the peak and approaching the shrine, the iaijutsuka was surprised to find his teacher waiting for him, in a ready stance. In his bewilderment, he simply ignored those mental alarms.

Sensei, I have returned. I have done as you have tasked me and created weapons of my own… from my own.”
His master glared with a dark expression, as if unwilling to proceed with whatever he was thinking.

“... Then prove it. It has been three years, Azura… show me that you have grown, and show me what you believe is worthy of yourself.” the master affirmed, grasping his katana and holding his black saya firmly.

“You mean… Sensei, you’ll spar with me? I… do not believe I am prepared… I feel… weak.”

The master’s hand trembled for just a moment hearing this, but resolve took over.
“Ioi!” the ‘ready’ instruction was given, as if a friendly match was about to take place. The known sharpness of his sword did not warrant such jovial interaction, however.

Senseiおのぞみのままに。
Accepting the challenge, the demigod stepped closer to his tutor and prepared himself for what would be likely… the first and final duel between them.

Shinra: “By my decree, let it be known… I, Shinra Katsumaru, will pass my title as Iaijutsu Godan Sensei to Jack Azura in the event of my defeat in this official iai kumite.”

The master’s challenger looked left and right at the assembling group of onlookers, fellow iaijutsuka and iaidoka, to observe two true masters of their art. Looking back at his opponent, Jack saw only a flash, narrowly dodging his opponent's blade, before quickly responding to parry the incoming second strike with the saya alone.

Shinra: “You’re slow, sluggish… and where’s your attention, Azura?”
Jack didn’t let the remark get to him and finally turned his scabbard to the ready and drew one of his okatana. The sparks of light preluding the brilliant shine of his golden blade made cold sweat go down the master’s face.

“You… You succeeded.”
He
didn't let his joy show on his face and remained resolute. Jack then rushes forward, lining up his attack, but it was telegraphed enough for the master to dodge and riposte to strike the sword out of his hand, followed by a slash… direct hit.

“Fuck… Your blade cuts deep, But I’m not quite done.”
Virtually unphased by what would normally be a fatal wound, the swordsman draws his second weapon - the same brilliant light emerges, only this time it was controlled better… he had found his determination.

Copying the exact same movements from before, he waited for the master’s parry… but didn’t move out of the way. He continued through the attack… and his okatana phased right through his opponent’s sword… right through his opponent entirely, without as much as making contact. The master’s body shone gold for just a moment as the sword passed through him, then limply dropped to the floor.

“I am sorry, Shinra Sensei, by my own decree… 俺の大刀。。。cannot be blocked, neither by another’s sword, nor by their flesh. Now you rest here, surrounded by those who respect you, your body impeccable and unwounded… and let your soul soar free like chochin at yuki matsuri. Da ei requiem, et pacem in hac lacrimarum valle.”

Sheathing both weapons, Jack looked in silence at the students gathering around their previous master, some proud of the way he died in honor, others distraught at the suddenness of it. Surprisingly to him though, none showed any resentment towards him and some even called him ‘sensei’ as his new title would call for. Lowering his head, Jack turned his back to the scene.
“I have to go” he uttered, starting to descend the shrine’s stairs. Now he knew… he had no reason to linger any longer, his mission there was over. It was time for him to leave Japan.

大刀 (daitou/okatana) = a slightly longer katana
tsunan yuki matsuri
Waniguchi - a plate gong
You can look up iaijutsu for yourself if interested

Latin phrase translates to "give him rest, and peace in this Valley of Tears" - a reference to WILTTB storyline (if you don't know it, ignore this)

"Age 977" from the title means he was 977 years old in this moment, and this was just a little while before he got sent to hell (and 700 years later he was set free by foundation)

• Love
Reactions: Dennid

Jack Kincaid

Mar 14, 2023
PAC3 Approved

Hello Jackie,

Your PAC3 Request has been approved.

Any changes to your Character Bio/PAC3 will have to go through the process of being accepted again.

Kind regards,
Jack Kincaid

Status
Not open for further replies.