Content Suggestion Major ScipNET Overhaul (Big Read!)

Content Suggestions will be reviewed by Content Team weekly, please allow time as not everything can be reviewed at once.

Recker

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Donator
Nov 26, 2022

The Suggestion

This suggestion would see the overhaul of ScipNET through a variety of features and accounts for the current ScipNET features on the Dev Tracker. See them here and here. So, even though I am suggesting new things, these new things are in addition to the already approved suggestions.

Feature No. 1: System Security​

This feature would make it so all files are biometrically locked to those who do not possess the current job. Now hang on, before you get anxious, there is a counter to this. Similar to hacking SCP Containment Boxes, you will be required to hack the computer to access the file. The way this works is you would go to access a file using a keycard, it would display an "Invalid Biometrics" security message on the screen for 120 seconds. During which time the computer becomes hackable to access the current file. If hacked, the intrusion message will disappear and you can view the file. Additionally, when people log out of a computer, they would be required to press a Logout button somewhere on the screen. Otherwise, the screen will stay open for up to 30 seconds before automatically logging the person out. Not only does this allow enemy combatants like the Chaos Insurgency to hold people at gunpoint and force them to print things or even simply make them log in for them, but it also requires personnel to have due diligence when using what would be a highly classified computer system. In addition to the above, IT Technicians would receive a notification, similar to SCP hacking, when there is a system intrusion. The intrusion message would include the file that is being accessed and it's clearance. This allows them to alert combatants that someone somewhere is hacking a computer and alert appropriate personnel of an imminent information breach.

With the creation of Feature No. 2 (emailing), enemies could attempt to access emails as well by using someone's card and the same thing happening which requires them to hack the system - an "Invalid Biometrics" error shows when clicking on the inbox button. The clearance of the hacks would depend on the clearance of the person's keycard (for emails) or the clearance of the file (for files).

Key Takeaways:
- All files in ScipNET are biometrically locked.
- When someone doesn't have biometrics but has the proper card and tries to open a file, an "Invalid Biometrics" error message will be on the screen for up to 120 seconds. The computer can be hacked during that time by selecting an "Access File" button on the TE-5 before they have to go back through the file structure and attempt to access the file again using their keycard.
- Users must click "Logout" to exit the computer, otherwise it will auto log out in 30 seconds. Anyone can jump on the computer during that timeframe and have the access of the person who didn't log out.
- IT Technicians and Tech Experts receive a "ScipNET Intrusion" message at the top of their screen, similar to an SCP Containment Hacking message.

Feature No. 2: Emailing!​

One thing that would be amazing to have on ScipNET is emailing. This would be a completely in-character tool used to distribute messages to both online and offline personnel. The email system would have a naming scheme, of course. Each department would be assigned an email where everyone in the department would receive emails. Levels 4 and higher would be eligible for personal emails. They can change their personal email in the ScipNET settings, but it would be highly recommended to only do it once as to avoid people sending emails to an invalid user. Personal emails would also have a naming scheme.

Department Email Naming Scheme - S65.DEPARTMENT@scipNET (i.e. S65.Engineering@scipNET, S65.Security@scipNET, etc.)
Personal Email Naming Scheme -
Non-Site Command:
Code:
S65.DEPARTMENT.<NAME/PERSONALIZED>@scipNET
(i.e. S65.Security.Monberry@scipNET)
Site Command:
Code:
FCOM.BRANCH.<NAME/PERSONALIZED>@scipNET
(i.e. FCOM.EC.Recker@scipNET or FCOM.SI.Lincoln@scipNET)

Clearances 1 through 3 as mentioned before would receive emails to their department and would not have an assigned email address. So if, for example, you wanted to email the engineering department, you would email
Code:
S65.Engineering@scipNET
and any Engineer, IT Technician, or Technical Expert may reply. Also, do note that everyone in that department will be able to see what you reply.

This feature would, of course because of emails, see the addition of an "Inbox" that people can check on the main ScipNET page when you first login to the computer. We could even also add a message people get in comms. The email features in general could see basic functions such as attaching ScipNET files, use of emojis, or even font styles such as bold or italics.

For development sake, someone's personal email would be deleted upon their whitelist being revoked OR being removed from a CL4/CL5 position in a regiment. This would obviously require the whitelist script and vwar to post events to the scipNET framework. A call would also have to be made to scipNET to allow them the option of generating a personal email when receiving a level 4 position. So for example, I'd whitelist an Internal Affairs Ambassador and then the "Generate Email" button would be there.

and finally, this system could be replicated to CI and GOC as needed. Obviously the email schemes would have to change for those factions.

Key Takeaways:
- Emailing System
- Established Naming Scheme for Depts. and Personal Emails
- Level 4+ would be able to receive personnel emails and create a personalized email/name.
- New Inbox area of scipNET. Access your inbox by playing as specific departments or jobs.
- Receive email alerts in comms.

Feature No. 3: Administrative Controls & Information​

Similar to the current ability with the Personnel Tablet to cut someone's communications, the Directors of Internal Affairs, Site Administration, Site Command, and Server Leadership would have the ability through the ScipNET main screen to terminate someone's ScipNET access. This would be done by clicking an "Admin" button on the main screen, which takes them to a list of users.

Each user would have these options when clicked on:
- See Emails (CL5 & SL Only)
- Block Access To ScipNET
- Send Administrative Email

The Administrative Email would show up as "Admin@scipNET". Server Leadership, Site Command, and Site Administration would also be able to delete emails, similar to files. The in-character deletions could be for infobreaches whereas the out of character deletions could be for spamming the system.

For this suggestion as well, I would assume that Development would want to add a word filter and an email cooldown which both would be extremely reasonable. Maybe even a !scipnetban command for ULX.

Feature No. 4: ScipNET Network Boxes​

Like the electrical boxes for lights, turrets, teslas, etc. the introduction of this overhaul would see the implementation and usage of Networking Boxes (basically just electrical boxes) for the ScipNET system. These can be hacked off to disrupt computer systems around the site. All systems would show a blue screen of death (BSOD) should these boxes be taken offline.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?

There have been ScipNET suggestions, but after looking I do not believe any have come close to this level of an overhaul.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):

- INCREASED ROLEPLAY!
- More function for the Engineering/IT Department (Fix Networking Boxes & Get Notifications of System Intrusions!)
- Nerfs infobreaching. Requires each file to be hacked individually.
- Allows GOIs to access private emails through hacking the computers.
- ScipNET finally has a better purpose!
- GOIs and enemies have to be more strategic when accessing ScipNET. For example, hacking it near a populated place wouldn't be ideal and officially time becomes of the essence and people look for you hacking it.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:

- Extremely tedious and intensive development wise.
- People can spam emails (but then again, SA/SC/SL can block their access. Also a cooldown feature.)
- Staff would be required to occasionally check emails.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted?

This should be accepted as I believe it would create an intense amount of roleplay for all factions and jobs. This would see the creation of the most roleplay for IT Techs & Tech Experts, which currently do not receive much RP at all. This would also tilt the server to take RP just a tad bit more seriously, with things such as Tribunal Summons, Incident Reports, or the likes being shared with people without having to touch Discord.

stephenpreisler

Jul 27, 2024
+Support

After reading this, it is pretty evident that this would make the computers more useful to roleplay than just being a document repository.

If we can't get all of the features wanted in this post, could we at least reorganize the way documents are kept on the computers? Everything is a mess.

Me waiting to receive "Hello I am a Nigerian Prince and I need to get to my palace. For the small donation of $100k I will pay you over 1 million dollars once I ascend the throne." emails.
i actually lowkey love the idea of poor scipnet opsec as a way of obtaining codewords and door codes and think it's something that's worth looking into

if it's possible to have some kind of character email system on scipnet, it would promote a sort of passive non-combative roleplay that would utilise a sorely underused part of the server and would absolutely be beneficial to the server environment

+Support

Reactions: Recker

Recker

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Donator
Nov 26, 2022
i actually lowkey love the idea of poor scipnet opsec as a way of obtaining codewords and door codes and think it's something that's worth looking into

if it's possible to have some kind of character email system on scipnet, it would promote a sort of passive non-combative roleplay that would utilise a sorely underused part of the server and would absolutely be beneficial to the server environment

+Support
This. What gave me the idea for this was a techie approached me when I was playing as Ethics yesterday and started explaining a project he was starting relating to pentesting the facility. Honestly the best RP I've ever seen from a techie but it gave me the idea of system security which then evolved into emails, and more features for scipnet.

This. What gave me the idea for this was a techie approached me when I was playing as Ethics yesterday and started explaining a project he was starting relating to pentesting the facility. Honestly the best RP I've ever seen from a techie but it gave me the idea of system security which then evolved into emails, and more features for scipnet.
finally i can make a security attack character and test vulenerabilities by sending people fake emails with links