Rule Suggestion Make Naming Conventions more lenient

Rule suggestions will be reviewed by Superadmins, this may take longer than standard content suggestions.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Senior Ambassador Sledge

Oct 25, 2023
Cincinnati Ohio, United States
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Makes naming conventions a much more lenient rule that gives more naming options to players while still eliminating the minge/troll names

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
I'm sure someone has complained or suggested it before. This suggestion is more catered to the people who just want to name themselves something but it falls under naming con.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
Players can name themselves more so what they want within reason

Can make naming conventions a lot simpler and easier to understand

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
After thinking about this for a solid 3 days ish, I legit couldn't think of a possible negative.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
I believe the main point of naming conventions as a rule is to make rp a lot more enhancing because let's be honest, no one is going to be named: Quantavious Jonquavious von hammersmark the 4th. As much of a banger name that is, it isn't realistic and is primarily a minge/troll name. Another main reason naming con is a rule is to eliminate people who make downright offensive names to which I will not be providing an example of but you know the ones I am referring to.

Naming con should not affect the player base who regularly play and simply just want to have a nickname or codename. Naming con is also something I have noticed that many staff do not enforce in general. I've spent approx 3 weeks in CI before I left and during said time my name was Fred "The Fed". Unknowingly to me, this was naming convention because I simply had the word "The" in my name. I wasn't made aware of this despite being surrounded by staff and I believe I wasn't confronted up until recently because of the following reasons:

1. The rule is not particularly important to enforce since most of the time it's a negligible offense

2. The rule itself is just open ended and hard to truly understand which have made staff use their judgement which makes it a more subjective issue entirely. The rule should be a blanket statement like: "You cannot do this that etc." Not: "don't use 'unrealistic' names"

So what's the point I'm making? Well, from what I've seen, staff don't usually deal with naming con unless it's an offensive name. I've seen many minge names that are quite obviously unrealistic that slip on past because let's be honest, it's really not that huge of a problem. Like I said before, naming con is there to make names more rp oriented but I'd argue no one really "Loses their immersion" over someone's name being unorthodox. The rule itself should be punishing those who are only on the server to cause issues and generally be offensive or a nuisance and shouldn't hinder those who just want to make a character. So if staff are taking a more subjective role in dealing with naming con breaks, why not simplify it so the rule only targets people that are just there to ruin someone's day?

The main grievance I have is why only CL 5 and ISD can have "The" in their names but no one else can? It's a silly rule and just downright punishing for very little reason hahaha. It's baffling to me really. I understand that because of their roles they cannot have "a real name" because that would take away from the secrecy the roles are supposed to have, I get it and I agree! Here is what I am disagreeing with: A GSD cadet new to the server wants to be called: John "The Hammer" Smith, I don't see the issue with the name yet it falls under naming con HOWEVER: John "Hammer" Smith is PERFECTLY FINE! So why is this?

As always, Thanks for reading and taking your time to consider my suggestions.

Here is the rule for those to reference:

1.21(a) Naming Conventions - Names used when creating a character must be realistic and not contain any special characters, unnecessary letters, numbers, or resembling a famous celebrity or character - An exception is made for identifying squadrons, such as [LDR]

1.21(b) Code Names - If you wish to use a code name, within your name (e.g. John "Cloak" Smith), then the following rules apply:
  • Code names should be 1 word, and must also be a real word or place name. Portmanteaus are also allowed, however within SL discretion as to what is allowed within a portmanteau name.
  • Names must also be sensible, meaning don't use "unrealistic" names, codenames or portmanteau names.
The exception to the above are for all CL5 keycard holders (F/GOC/CI) and MTFs Omega-1 & Alpha-1, who may have a longer codename without a real name/standalone name e.g:
  • "The Founder"
  • "The (Example)"

joseph mumua

Sep 13, 2023
-support naming con rules are already too lenient as we have players called "bottom" and "top" walking around

Blackknight95

Super Administrator
Super Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Group Moderator
Jun 7, 2022
Suggestion Response

Hi Sledge,

Thanks for taking the time to make a suggestion

Our SL team feel that the naming convention rules are fine as is, and do not need to be changed at this time.

Mercer​

Status
Not open for further replies.