Rule Suggestion Make Naming Conventions more lenient

Rule suggestions will be reviewed by Superadmins, this may take longer than standard content suggestions.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Senior Ambassador Sledge

Oct 25, 2023
Cincinnati Ohio, United States
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Makes naming conventions a much more lenient rule that gives more naming options to players while still eliminating the minge/troll names

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
I'm sure someone has complained or suggested it before. This suggestion is more catered to the people who just want to name themselves something but it falls under naming con.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
Players can name themselves more so what they want within reason

Can make naming conventions a lot simpler and easier to understand

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
After thinking about this for a solid 3 days ish, I legit couldn't think of a possible negative.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
I believe the main point of naming conventions as a rule is to make rp a lot more enhancing because let's be honest, no one is going to be named: Quantavious Jonquavious von hammersmark the 4th. As much of a banger name that is, it isn't realistic and is primarily a minge/troll name. Another main reason naming con is a rule is to eliminate people who make downright offensive names to which I will not be providing an example of but you know the ones I am referring to.

Naming con should not affect the player base who regularly play and simply just want to have a nickname or codename. Naming con is also something I have noticed that many staff do not enforce in general. I've spent approx 3 weeks in CI before I left and during said time my name was Fred "The Fed". Unknowingly to me, this was naming convention because I simply had the word "The" in my name. I wasn't made aware of this despite being surrounded by staff and I believe I wasn't confronted up until recently because of the following reasons:

1. The rule is not particularly important to enforce since most of the time it's a negligible offense

2. The rule itself is just open ended and hard to truly understand which have made staff use their judgement which makes it a more subjective issue entirely. The rule should be a blanket statement like: "You cannot do this that etc." Not: "don't use 'unrealistic' names"

So what's the point I'm making? Well, from what I've seen, staff don't usually deal with naming con unless it's an offensive name. I've seen many minge names that are quite obviously unrealistic that slip on past because let's be honest, it's really not that huge of a problem. Like I said before, naming con is there to make names more rp oriented but I'd argue no one really "Loses their immersion" over someone's name being unorthodox. The rule itself should be punishing those who are only on the server to cause issues and generally be offensive or a nuisance and shouldn't hinder those who just want to make a character. So if staff are taking a more subjective role in dealing with naming con breaks, why not simplify it so the rule only targets people that are just there to ruin someone's day?

The main grievance I have is why only CL 5 and ISD can have "The" in their names but no one else can? It's a silly rule and just downright punishing for very little reason hahaha. It's baffling to me really. I understand that because of their roles they cannot have "a real name" because that would take away from the secrecy the roles are supposed to have, I get it and I agree! Here is what I am disagreeing with: A GSD cadet new to the server wants to be called: John "The Hammer" Smith, I don't see the issue with the name yet it falls under naming con HOWEVER: John "Hammer" Smith is PERFECTLY FINE! So why is this?

As always, Thanks for reading and taking your time to consider my suggestions.

Here is the rule for those to reference:

1.21(a) Naming Conventions - Names used when creating a character must be realistic and not contain any special characters, unnecessary letters, numbers, or resembling a famous celebrity or character - An exception is made for identifying squadrons, such as [LDR]

1.21(b) Code Names - If you wish to use a code name, within your name (e.g. John "Cloak" Smith), then the following rules apply:
  • Code names should be 1 word, and must also be a real word or place name. Portmanteaus are also allowed, however within SL discretion as to what is allowed within a portmanteau name.
  • Names must also be sensible, meaning don't use "unrealistic" names, codenames or portmanteau names.
The exception to the above are for all CL5 keycard holders (F/GOC/CI) and MTFs Omega-1 & Alpha-1, who may have a longer codename without a real name/standalone name e.g:
  • "The Founder"
  • "The (Example)"

Prplex

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
Dec 20, 2023
+Support
I think some parts of it are definitely unnecessarily strict and I think people should be allowed codenames etc as long as they are within reason. Realistically if I went through the tab menu and picked up everyone who had a slightly violation of the rule it would likely be about half the server

Senior Ambassador Sledge

Oct 25, 2023
Can you be more specific than "more lenient"?
Sure, i'll reiterate the example I use to make my point easier to understand and why I made the suggestion:

As the rule currently stands: John "The Hammer" Smith, is not an acceptable name unless you are among this group of players:

The exception to the above are for all CL5 keycard holders (F/GOC/CI) and MTFs Omega-1 & Alpha-1, who may have a longer codename without a real name/standalone name e.g:

So, imagine you're a GSD Cadet who is new to the server and you get pulled because your codename or nickname you wanted "The Hammer" is unacceptable simply for having the word "the" in it. Would you keep playing on a server you're new to if you're immediately confronted over something this negligible? I don't think I would, but I got a lot of good reasons to stay now lol!

So here's what I want to be more lenient: Change this:
The exception to the above are for all CL5 keycard holders (F/GOC/CI) and MTFs Omega-1 & Alpha-1, who may have a longer codename without a real name/standalone name e.g: so players who aren't among these roles can have "The" in their code or nickname if they want to. And also change this: Code names should be 1 word, and must also be a real word or place name. Portmanteaus are also allowed, however within SL discretion as to what is allowed within a portmanteau name. To reflect the changes.

It's rather silly in my opinion for someone to get warned and or punished for simply having "The" in their name. The rule in my opinion should be there to eliminate minge names and offensive names, not much else.

The rule itself also just overall needs to be more clear and enforced a lot more consistently because from what I've seen, some staff don't even enforce the rule to which there are a few reasons I can guess why they don't. Few staff enforce it and the ones that do, they all have a different take on it.

Geronimo

Jan 29, 2023
United Kingdom
- Support

If anything, they need to be enforced more by staff to make sure these names are caught out earlier instead of players going with them for long periods of time, making them think its okay, unfortunately a lot of our time consists of dealing with 'bigger problems', so its easy to sweep minor naming conventions under the rug to deal with bigger rule violations.

Senior Ambassador Sledge

Oct 25, 2023
Sure, i'll reiterate the example I use to make my point easier to understand and why I made the suggestion:

As the rule currently stands: John "The Hammer" Smith, is not an acceptable name unless you are among this group of players:

So, imagine you're a GSD Cadet who is new to the server and you get pulled because your codename or nickname you wanted "The Hammer" is unacceptable simply for having the word "the" in it. Would you keep playing on a server you're new to if you're immediately confronted over something this negligible? I don't think I would, but I got a lot of good reasons to stay now lol!

So here's what I want to be more lenient: Change this:
The exception to the above are for all CL5 keycard holders (F/GOC/CI) and MTFs Omega-1 & Alpha-1, who may have a longer codename without a real name/standalone name e.g: so players who aren't among these roles can have "The" in their code or nickname if they want to. And also change this: Code names should be 1 word, and must also be a real word or place name. Portmanteaus are also allowed, however within SL discretion as to what is allowed within a portmanteau name. To reflect the changes.

It's rather silly in my opinion for someone to get warned and or punished for simply having "The" in their name. The rule in my opinion should be there to eliminate minge names and offensive names, not much else.

The rule itself also just overall needs to be more clear and enforced a lot more consistently because from what I've seen, some staff don't even enforce the rule to which there are a few reasons I can guess why they don't. Few staff enforce it and the ones that do, they all have a different take on it.
Let me know if you have a hard time understanding what I am suggesting and I'll try to make it simpler.

Senior Ambassador Sledge

Oct 25, 2023
- Support

If anything, they need to be enforced more by staff to make sure these names are caught out earlier instead of players going with them for long periods of time, making them think its okay, unfortunately a lot of our time consists of dealing with 'bigger problems', so its easy to sweep minor naming conventions under the rug to deal with bigger rule violations.
I agree they need to be enforced more. Did you -support just by reading the title? What are you -supporting exactly and why? The whole thing?

Geronimo

Jan 29, 2023
United Kingdom
I agree they need to be enforced more. Did you -support just by reading the title? What are you -supporting exactly and why? The whole thing?
My negative support is to this entire change.
Would you keep playing on a server you're new to if you're immediately confronted over something this negligible? I don't think I would, but I got a lot of good reasons to stay now lol!
Yes... the staff are telling you the rules that are outlined in black and white in the rule book. Staff NEVER give instant naming convention warns to these small cases, so no, a staff member politely explaining the rules to me and asking me to change my name would not deter me from the server unless you want to act petty.
John "The Hammer" Smith, I don't see the issue with the name yet it falls under naming con HOWEVER: John "Hammer" Smith is PERFECTLY FINE! So why is this?
The word 'The' is the issue, as outlined in the rules, this is considered an 'O5 Name' and this is a term referenced throughout the server in-directly in things like the GM team. The whole point is that O5s' names have a personality to them and so that you can instantly recognise an O5 and how they act based off of their codename. These names are comparable to lore, in which you'd find things like O5-2 "The (x)".

The whole point of the rule was to avoid players taking that uniqueness from an O5. Hell, O5s even get told off by staff when they use the name on jobs other than O5, they aren't exempt.

Senior Ambassador Sledge

Oct 25, 2023
My negative support is to this entire change.

Yes... the staff are telling you the rules that are outlined in black and white in the rule book. Staff NEVER give instant naming convention warns to these small cases, so no, a staff member politely explaining the rules to me and asking me to change my name would not deter me from the server unless you want to act petty.

The word 'The' is the issue, as outlined in the rules, this is considered an 'O5 Name' and this is a term referenced throughout the server in-directly in things like the GM team. The whole point is that O5s' names have a personality to them and so that you can instantly recognise an O5 and how they act based off of their codename. These names are comparable to lore, in which you'd find things like O5-2 "The (x)".

The whole point of the rule was to avoid players taking that uniqueness from an O5. Hell, O5s even get told off by staff when they use the name on jobs other than O5, they aren't exempt.
It's not like their whole name is just "The ____", I'd agree if someone wasn't O5 and used only a code name with The in it, I don't see an issue with the example I gave.

Painter

Jun 18, 2023
[REDACTED]
- support kinda?

The is reserved for site command due to them being the only people in lore with The in their name, it’s supposed to be significant to site command, at least I think.

Also why use black text on gray background. ?

Geronimo

Jan 29, 2023
United Kingdom
It's not like their whole name is just "The ____", I'd agree if someone wasn't O5 and used only a code name with The in it, I don't see an issue with the example I gave.
Whether you have a full name or not, the rules are in black and white and avoid confusion. If you allowed full names along with 'THE' codenames then people are more inclined to accidentally break this rule, say, if they joined a sub-regiment and had to get rid of the full name to fit the tags in.

Senior Ambassador Sledge

Oct 25, 2023
Whether you have a full name or not, the rules are in black and white and avoid confusion. If you allowed full names along with 'THE' codenames then people are more inclined to accidentally break this rule, say, if they joined a sub-regiment and had to get rid of the full name to fit the tags in.
Well, they wouldn't "accidentally break this rule" because the rule would be changed but you got a point with the sub-regiment argument. I know I'd remove "The" first if I needed room to put a tag in but it leaves open opportunity for a cadet to be named "The Hammer" [SUB] [REG].

"Arachnid"

Dec 5, 2022
-support
naming con isnt even enforced
Someone on the US site has had the name "Footo Sniffo" for the last two months
(Admin made him change his name from foot sniffer and apparently this is good enough to get around this)

Senior Ambassador Sledge

Oct 25, 2023
- support kinda?

The is reserved for site command due to them being the only people in lore with The in their name, it’s supposed to be significant to site command, at least I think.

Also why use black text on gray background. ?
I like it :devilish:. Plus, it's still readable.... mostly.... I think...

Anyway, I know SC, ISD, and senior personnel of GOI can have "The _____" as their names but it seems silly to give someone trouble for having something like: First Name "The codename" Last Name just because they aren't among these jobs. It's not like their entire name is just "The blank" like I'd expect from O5

Last edited:

Senior Ambassador Sledge

Oct 25, 2023
-support
naming con isnt even enforced
Someone on the US site has had the name "Footo Sniffo" for the last two months
(Admin made him change his name from foot sniffer and apparently this is good enough to get around this)
Marcus!? HAAA!! That's funny, he's a goofy guy.

But yeah, naming con literally isn't enforced. Unless you're me and got unlucky. People still be running around with goofy ass names but I get in trouble because I had "The" in my nickname and wasn't confronted until like a month later....

anyway, enough coping. I'm assuming you're -supporting because of what everyone else said? Don't tell me you're just saying -support because "it isn't enforced"

Edit: You're O1 now? Huh, I was wondering why I didn't see you on A1 in a bit lmao.

Last edited:

Niox

Jan 23, 2023

So here's what I want to be more lenient: Change this: The exception to the above are for all CL5 keycard holders (F/GOC/CI) and MTFs Omega-1 & Alpha-1, who may have a longer codename without a real name/standalone name e.g: so players who aren't among these roles can have "The" in their code or nickname if they want to. And also change this: Code names should be 1 word, and must also be a real word or place name. Portmanteaus are also allowed, however within SL discretion as to what is allowed within a portmanteau name. To reflect the changes.

Using this as what the suggestion is changing, no.
They can just be given a verbal if they didn't know it was against the rules, and even if they dont its likely appealable.

Also the "The" in names does have some significance to it - They are The of something specific. Dont feel like that should be taken away from CL5.
-Support
(ALSO DONT MAKE YOUR TEXT BLACK AND WHITE HGFHDSJHGUIFJDHUFGDHOIUFGHIO)

Senior Ambassador Sledge

Oct 25, 2023
Using this as what the suggestion is changing, no.
They can just be given a verbal if they didn't know it was against the rules, and even if they dont its likely appealable.

Also the "The" in names does have some significance to it - They are The of something specific. Dont feel like that should be taken away from CL5.
-Support
(ALSO DONT MAKE YOUR TEXT BLACK AND WHITE HGFHDSJHGUIFJDHUFGDHOIUFGHIO)
It's not like CL 5 are losing it, and it really shouldn't be that deep.

Michael Dzhetnikov

Civil Gamers Expert
Mar 22, 2022
you guys know there are probably heaps of characters with "The" in their code/nickname, also there is no canon and lore isnt a reason to not allow codenames like these, i think maybe someone with a codename like this along with at least a first name to reduce confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.