Denied Naming Conventions for A-1 and 0-1

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TootsMcScoots

Jun 18, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
From personal experience back from when I started to even nowadays it feel as if A-1 and O-1 operatives having their full name displayed above their heads it potentially one of the larger oversights in terms of RP here. To my knowledge the names displayed above are, to an extent, diegetic, and it should be assumed, as it is with almost every other Job on the server, that if the named is NOT redacted/blocked out you are able to say it. This however is not the case, the current way both regiments operate there should be no reason to even have their RP names sans the code name visible as it just creates issues during already heated moments and will unfairly punish newer players by being restrained, gagged, and terminated, often without being told the nature of why, who are unaware of a rule that, at least to my knowledge, is not explicitly stated anywhere. If we ARE to assume they are diegetic, as we would with any other job, it is frankly quite unbelievable that these, essentially, secret service members would have their names proudly displayed for all to see only to get upset when someone reads said name. My proposal is thus:

Mandate that, while actively playing as any rank of A-1 or O-1 operatives, you are to either remove or Redact/"Block" your first and last names from your overhead display name, leaving only your code-name visible.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
-Removes an avenue of potential misunderstanding between newer players and A-1/O-1s that simply leads to more frustration from both parties and the potential loss of new players after.
-Helps remove visual clutter for both display names and it text communications, both of which can get bloated, especially during events
-Creates more cohesion between jobs
-Stops a rather large amount of time wasted for both regiments when having to restrain,cuff, and terminate the player who spoke the name by simply not having to.
-Helps unclog Mod/Admin sits from newer players who assume they've been unfairly RDM'd by either regiment

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
-Could make communications within both regiments more difficult if Operatives have similar code-names
-Would remove the admittedly interesting RP instance of seeing several agents pulling away a Foundation Member in a moment and ushering them off to a dark corner.
Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
Based off of the answers given above this suggestion should be accepted as having the names of both A-1 and O-1 operatives visible leads to nothing but more confusion, annoyance, wasted time, and anger for every party involved. A player should not be punished for reading someones name in the same exact fashion as they would any other member of the Site.

SamPaval

May 26, 2022
This is already told to new enlisteds on UK.

It isn't mandatory but highly encouraged

Karol 'Negotiator' W.

Blacklisted Player
Jan 29, 2023
- Support
Not needed
Most of the time ISDs just put their codenames in the thingy.
And for the new players, well just read the rules? Huh?

Harold Hawks

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Mar 12, 2023
America
+Support
I have accidentally read off two ISD member’s real names in the past week. ?

Grong

Dec 30, 2022
What? I don't see the point in this when most people in ISD don't have their real names visible

Oasis

Sep 6, 2022
your logic is flawed anyways because iirc by default you don’t know anyone’s name

this is why when IA is arresting someone they have to id check everyone on that job

by your logic, i can say “yo wassup The Fartmeister” to some random O5 because “thats how it works everywhere”

Alpha Toon

Civil Gamers Expert
Mar 9, 2021
Suggestion Denied

Hi @TootsMcScoots,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.

Per our current rules, members of A-1 and O-1 may choose to have just a codename. We're not going to start mandating that code names be required as it's player choice.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

Status
Not open for further replies.