Denied Red Screen When Taking Damage Change

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Onion"

Nov 20, 2022
in your walls
What does this suggestion change/add/remove
- Changes the screen effect when taking damage from a red screen to directional arrows (or just remove/reduce the red screen)

Possible Positives of the suggestion
- Increases screen clarity for everyone
- Improves surface PvP (since it's really dark which exacerbates the lack of vision) and PvP just as a whole
- Allows for people to know where they're getting shot from (you would be able to tell where you got shot from even if you don't see the tracer)
- For ranged SCPs (912, 7722, TG) they will be able to shoot without having their screen heavily obscured to the point of being completely blinded allowing them to actually aim in a firefight
- Improves SCP gameplay overall (the effect is extremely annoying in general and especially so when you're getting mag dumped by 10 people)
- High health non-SCP players are able to aim while getting fired at (mainly pertains to juggernauts and type blues)
- Reduces annoyance of bleeding

Possible Negatives of the suggestion
- Allows for people to know where they're getting shot from (this can be a double edged sword since more information allows for the one being attacked to retaliate better)
- Not as obvious when you're getting attacked (but really anything that isn't making your entire screen red would be less obvious)
- Dev time (since this would be a completely new system)

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted
This server is quite heavily PvP based with CI raids and SCP breaches. Because of this I feel like the systems around PvP should be clean and uninstrusive. Currently, they are not this. Each time you take damage, your screen flashes red (including bleeding). This is extremely annoying and can completely obscure your vision when facing automatic fire. It's not too bad against pistols because they're semiauto but the large majority of PvP is inhibited by this screen effect so quite a few encounters come down to "who gets shot and blinded first looses". On top of improving PvP this would also increase SCP breaches for the reasons listed in the positives. I enjoy playing SCPs but I don't like getting blinded whenever I have to shoot people while breached. It's gets so bad to the point of completely obscuring targets to the point where the only identifying feature you can use is their bullet tracers. You have to shoot at the approximate source of the bullets (if the tracers aren't complely bugged ((seperate problem))) instead of shooting at a clear target. This changes skill based engagements of both Human vs. Human and SCP vs. Human engagements to a guessing game. Something which should never hapen in an FPS. Clarity is extremely important when it comes to combat and the lack of it has been very agitating. Provided are 2 clips where there are multiple points in which targets are completely obscured. I hope this effect is at the very least reduced but changing it to be directional would be vastly better.

Last edited:

Bill Nye The Guy

May 28, 2022
+support it's literally impossible to see anything whatsoever when you have an SCPs screen filter & an ERT shooting at you, it's a red flashbang

i think the problem is that it's a source thing, i don't know if this is even possible to fix

Last edited:

dango

Dec 7, 2022
+support
They really need to get rid of it. Same thing with the screen blood splatters when some one gets headshot killed because I don’t need my entire fucking screen to be obscured in a fire fight just to know Pablo “deeznuts” stinkerton the cadet got his head blown off by a ci sniper

"Sigma"

Donator
Jul 26, 2022
NY?
+Support
- i agree i feel like arrows would be a lil op but just red spots or red indicators from the direction that you got shot from your first person point of view the big red on screen gives no info to who shot you which leads to trolls shooting you because the only way they can find out is calling a sit which goes out of roleplay which would be better if they can tell and stay in roleplay the whole part of roleplay servers are to stay in roleplay for long and mods are a small portion and the red screen is to bright and annoying to see after you die its just the bright screen flashing you like a flashbang especially whne your playing late it can get very annoying and feels unneeded for that much information to just tell that you have been shot.

"Sigma"

Donator
Jul 26, 2022
NY?
+Support
- i agree i feel like arrows would be a lil op but just red spots or red indicators from the direction that you got shot from your first person point of view the big red on screen gives no info to who shot you which leads to trolls shooting you because the only way they can find out is calling a sit which goes out of roleplay which would be better if they can tell and stay in roleplay the whole part of roleplay servers are to stay in roleplay for long and mods are a small portion and the red screen is to bright and annoying to see after you die its just the bright screen flashing you like a flashbang especially whne your playing late it can get very annoying and feels unneeded for that much information to just tell that you have been shot.
forgot to add just wathced the clip especially when playing scps i was a scp and got stuck in elevator i couldnt kill the person for 2 elevator rides up and down because of the blinding of the shotgun on the red screen wasted 10k out of my 15k health ruined the breach completely a hour down the drain

Boris Johnson

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
May 24, 2023
+Support

This is actually annoying, and it sucks.

And like wise same with the blood.

Chad

Civil Gamers Expert
Jan 27, 2022
+support there is console commands to do this but the server disabled them sadly

FrostByte

Civil Gamers Expert
Dec 25, 2021
+support

please, it's so annoying especially as an SCP. You actually turn blind when being shot at as an SCP and it ruins the gameplay.

Skittles

Donator
Oct 20, 2022
+Support
I understand why it's there and it's sometimes ok, but too often it's just blinding. Same with the blood splatters on the screen.

grunger

Feb 26, 2023
+

Realistically, you probably wouldn't be able to see clearly while being shot at, but the "red flashbangs" are not enjoyable gameplay-wise, and the benefits there heavily outweigh the accuracy to realism.

Tub

Aug 6, 2022
+support
if someone shoots me in the left shoulder i should know someone shot me in the left instead of having a red flashbang and looking around confused and panicked

Blu

Nov 8, 2022
+Support
I need to get my k/d up and the red blood blocks my vision a lot. also remove the blood effect on the screen that slowly goes down

Foxatron

Civil Gamers Expert
Donator
Apr 16, 2022
Suggestion Denied

Hi @"Onion" ,

Thanks for taking the time to make a suggestion.

The reason that we have decided to deny this suggestion is because this does provide any RP benefit to the server , and is a change that we deem not necessary. The server isn't just about PVP it's mainly about creating roleplay.

Kind regards
Foxatron​

Status
Not open for further replies.