Content Suggestion Remove Site Command and ISD

Content Suggestions will be reviewed by Content Team weekly, please allow time as not everything can be reviewed at once.
Sep 16, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:

This suggestion changes the following;

[Removals]
- Remove the O5 Council, Alpha-1, and their Assistants (outside of events/SSL)

- Remove the Ethics Committee, Omega-1, and their Assistants (outside of events/SSL. Ethics could possibly be reintroduced in the future in a different form.)

[Department Expansions]
- Expansion of the Security Department to include a whitelisted security task force (Like an MTF, but under Security) dedicated to the protection of Site Administration, and executing their will, acting as their combative arm.

- Expansion of Internal Affairs to include more trusted jobs with more powerful arrest and investigative authority site-wide. This could possibly include a more combative job, like the “SWAT” of I.A.

- Possible expansion of Site Administration to include jobs such as Zone Managers or Deputy/Co-Site Director (Just an idea, somewhat questionable in use)

- IA and/or DEA pick up infoleak suppression as a duty, possibly some kind of shared thing to encourage RP between the two

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
Site Command being removed has not been suggested before outside of mess hall, that I know of.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):

> Significantly reduced drama and ego battles within the community

> Less potential rule breaks

> Improved roleplay environment

> Reduced amount of excess, unnecessary job bloat (Less of a player split, and two less MTFs)

> Removes the overlap issues and frustrations between Site Command, ISD, Site Administration, IA, and the rest of the community.

> Provides opportunities for other departments to expand or be created, such as Security, or Nu-7/E-11.

> Prevention of ISD wars, which go so bad when left unchecked that UK SC made an OOC agreement that heavily limits what can be done.

> Makes sense in RP - why would O5-1/2/3/4, three ECMs and the ECC all be stationed at a containment site [EDIT: Added later]

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:

> All of the work done regarding Ethics, O5, and Alpha/Omega-1 will be removed.

> Members in Site Command and Alpha/Omega-1 will lose their positions (Though can be transferred to other positions of their choosing at the discretion of the roleplay leaders)

> This is a major change, and can cause a temporary destabilization within the community as they adapt to it and figure out the new environment that would come as a result.

> Significant reduction in combative jobs, which may (or may not) cause an imbalance between the Foundation and GOIs/SCPs

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:

(Note: Things mentioned here do not account for every single site command member who’s ever existed or does exist in the community. Some ISD/SC have done relatively well in their positions, but that does not account for the majority. This is not intended to be a disrespectful or personal jab at anyone.)

For one, Site Command simply does not contribute enough of value to the community to make up for the issues caused. While the idea of the O5 Council, Alpha-1, Ethics Committee and Omega-1 are all very cool ideas and work well within the SCP Wiki and have a lot of roleplay potential, that isn’t how things have worked out in this server. These groups contribute nearly nothing to the roleplay environment of the community and have only taken away from groups such as Site Administration. Not to mention the amount of drama, toxicity, and egos that come from and are often caused by all four of these groups who constantly fight for who’s right, wrong, and who has the most power/authority over others. Site Command and ISD have only caused frustration, community divide, and problems. Even certain past ISD commanding officers have stated they would rather have someone toxic who doesn’t roleplay over someone bad at combat. The priorities of these groups are not in line with the communities best interest, and this has been proven over the past two and a half years where players outside of Site Command and ISDs friend groups express their frustrations with their near limitless power and their nonsensical use of it. It doesn’t make sense in any lore, and it doesn’t make sense for the community to continue having Site Command in the way that they are implemented currently in the server to essentially be two major powers who do the same exact thing and fight each other on a daily basis.

Overall, having these groups have only caused toxicity and frustrations in the long run. The Site Command/Administration rework only helped in the short run until the point of that rework was forgotten, and Site Command still stepped on and overshadowed Site Administration on many subjects, involving themselves directly in site affairs more often than they ever should have.

There have been countless incidents relating to toxicity, power abuse, server rule breaking (often not addressed when staff are aware) and similar, that often significantly affect server health for other factions/departments/etc. These issues come naturally when you introduce two major powers with minimal restriction on what their expectations are. Even if Server Leadership manages to weed out every bad apple of Site Command/ISD, the mere nature of these groups will continue to encourage more unsavory individuals to work themselves into these positions again and again. [EDIT: Specific incidents have been removed as to not potentially cause drama, but there was previously an actual list of various incidents over time, so while I won't include them, rest assured that there are plenty.]

Frequently (Predictably) Asked Questions:

“How would this be implemented in roleplay, and what would happen to these roles?”
Essentially, The Administrator would decide that leaving the O5 Council and Ethics Committee permanently assigned to a site such as 65 was far too dangerous to be reasonable, and went against the Foundations expectations of personnel of their class. So, they’re re-positioned to Site-01 with the rest of the council. These roles would then serve as a position for Game Masters to use for events, or for Server Leadership to use when assigning a new Site Director or intervening in roleplay situations when necessary.

“What are the main benefits of this suggestion besides whats mentioned in the reasoning?”
Besides what’s posted, removal of O5, Ethics, and everything associated opens up alot of room for opportunity. Floor 3 and Ethics Wing could be repurposed or removed entirely in favor of other sectors in the map that other groups could benefit from. There would also be a reduction in models for these roles unless NL decides to keep them for events. This would also remove many roles, including many combative roles, from the server which opens up room for other departments to expand or be created without bloating the server. (Such as expanding Security, Internal Affairs, giving room for E&TS, RAISA, etc.)

“Could these roles ever come back?”
Depending on what NL wants if they accepted this suggestion, I’m sure they could. But they would have to be much more strictly chosen based on their roleplay capabilities and how kind they are to others, and not who’s friend they are, their combat skills, or what documents they created. Other implementations of O5, for example, could include solely being a Forum/Discord role given to heavily trusted players who are excellent at roleplay and respect with maybe one O5 job slot that can only be used when authorized by Server Leadership for specific events/scenarios. The EC specifically has a lot of potential to be reworked into something else that wouldn't be nearly as susceptible to these sorts of issues.

“What about the people who hold these positions already?”
I definitely can understand that some of these people, especially those in Site Command or ISD COs, have worked long and hard for their positions. The prospect of that work being stripped from them like this wouldn’t feel good. One idea for this process is to allow all people in these positions to hold their roles until they choose where they want to go or resign, however the roles would be locked and unable to be obtained by anyone in the future. So if there’s four O5 now and two choose to resign or transfer, there would only be two O5 remaining until they resign. In return, O5 and Ethics would lose their power over site policy and would not be able to edit it further without permission from Site Administration once there’s less than three Site Command from each group remaining. They would continue to hold their power in roleplay to initiate different RP until their role dissolves. During this process, members of SC and ISD can transfer to other departments such as other MTFs, Junior CL4 roles (or Senior CL4 roles for ISD CO and SC+), DEA Senior Agent, IA, etc.

Last edited:

Prplex

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
Dec 20, 2023
+Support
-Everything has been listed above but I do believe that this would highly encourage making SA way harder to get due to it (if this gets accepted) becoming the department with the most power on site.
This change would be hard to do of course but it's time to give a new shape to the server, all that should remain of at maximum should be ethics
I think the main issue is the suggestion asks and suggests and awful lot but still doesn't go into quite enough detail to cover the full extent, its like a butterfly effect in that it would be such a major rework there would need complete content, SL and dev attention which is a very big ask. The proposed changes if implemented would leave said groups with even more to do than the original suggestion posed since it doesnt discuss what needs to be done if it is implemented enough

Sep 16, 2023
I think the main issue is the suggestion asks and suggests and awful lot but still doesn't go into quite enough detail to cover the full extent, its like a butterfly effect in that it would be such a major rework there would need complete content, SL and dev attention which is a very big ask. The proposed changes if implemented would leave said groups with even more to do than the original suggestion posed since it doesnt discuss what needs to be done if it is implemented enough
The reason for that is that to some extent, the specifics of the changes in response to this would be worthy of their own suggestions. E.g. IA rework has one already, which is in review or something like that, an SA rework needs properly considering, etc. - I also trust current CT/SL's ability to come up with good specifics about how something should be implemented (though perhaps not their ability to read).

Nosey | Curious

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Jul 20, 2021
- Support
I feel many of the issues raised here would immediately pop up within Site Admins, and the current MTFs would simply replace ISDs with how they currently function. As a GOC main, I usually only interact with Site Admin, and they are not active enough to manage this level of RP. If SA were the only group that could approve tests, without Ethics or O5, many of our current loops would become even more time consuming to get approval

Hello, members of the CivilNetworks SCP Roleplay Community.

I have been informed via email that my previous comment on this suggestion was removed by the Content Team for not providing "proper feedback", so I will go in depth on my points brought up on my prior comment.

I will be giving this suggestion a positive reputation for the following reason(s):

1. I have reason to believe that the removal of the current ISDs (MTF Omega-1 and MTF Alpha-1, respectively) as well as Site Command (The Ethics Committee and the Overseer Council) will be beneficial to the server's health long-term, even if it does shake the community in the moment.

- To expand more on my thoughts above, I have worked closely with both branches of Site Command prior in my experience on CN, including but not limited to: MTF Nu-7 Command, Ethics Committee Assistant, Overseer Assistant, UNGOC Command, MTF Omega-1 Command. I know how volatile these branches of the command structure can be, and I know their tendencies to constantly stir drama amongst one another to push agendas or to destabilize their sister branches for power plays. It creates an unfun environment for Foundation leadership, as well as UNGOC and CI leadership, and discourages RPing with either branch when they are essentially playing a rigged game of telephone constantly, and that's without factoring SA or any Department/Regiment leadership into the mix.

2. The removal of Site Command will make a more direct purpose for Site Administration, bringing it more in line with the 2 other major factions (UNGOC/CI) which only have one branch of command as opposed to 3 main branches and several sub-branches.

- Will streamline the experience for newer players or veterans of all factions, making communication easier and less scattered. If SA is the forefront of the Foundation, it will make the server a lot more approachable and RP-Friendly. It will also remove a lot of unwanted miscommunication and drama (as mentioned in my prior point).

3. The removal of ISDs will free up room to expand upon the other MTF units (MTF Nu-7 and MTF Epsilon-11), along with GSD and DEA, or potentially adding a new regiment (or multiple)?

- I believe if Omega-1 and Alpha-1 were removed, it would free up space to add a new MTF unit, or potentially reintroducing one (Beta-1) to act as a pseudo-ISD for SA.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts on the matter, my fellow Civil Gamers.

Dec 30, 2022
Neutral

I think this could have some positive benefits like the expansion of other DPTs duties but most of the issues like nepotisim and egos that you've mentioned will just pop up again in Site Admin/Other high ranking places. Also it makes little sense to remove a big part of the server when Site 9 is coming which will already not have these people anyway. I think a lot of the issues mention like SC not creating any RP is more to do with the people in the roles rather than the roles themselves this also applies to egos as well. But to be honest I wouldn't mind seeing this happen and if done well it could really improve the server and its RP.

Verlocity

SCP-RP Staff
Feb 18, 2024
- Support
I feel many of the issues raised here would immediately pop up within Site Admins, and the current MTFs would simply replace ISDs with how they currently function. As a GOC main, I usually only interact with Site Admin, and they are not active enough to manage this level of RP. If SA were the only group that could approve tests, without Ethics or O5, many of our current loops would become even more time consuming to get approval
That's the thing, Most of SA don't play that often. So Most of the time Ethics and 05 have to approve things like tests (Ethics mainly). I do agree SA needs a rework but also they should play more

• Haha
Reactions: Ganch
Dec 7, 2022
-/+Support leaning -

Okay, so I get what you're going for, but 90% of the problems listed won't be solved with the removal of SC/ISD, as you suggested nothing to prevent it from being passed down to other groups/SA, and or it is already a issue with other groups/SA.

I can name multiple times that a SD or SA has gone full power trip and started stepping on department's toes just because they didn't like them, heck recently on US server [Less than 3 months ago] we had a SD removed because he started power tripping on the first week, and all that will happen is the people power tripping/making SC/ISD their friend group will just move to SA roles and their related guards.

What I WOULD recommend is start reporting these power tripping individuals to have them removed. It's what we do for SSL and staff, why not ECM and O5? Before anyone says "That doesn't work!" we have had multiple ECC and O5-1 removed for power tripping/being toxic. Just report it.

Dec 25, 2021
-/+Support leaning -

Okay, so I get what you're going for, but 90% of the problems listed won't be solved with the removal of SC/ISD, as you suggested nothing to prevent it from being passed down to other groups/SA, and or it is already a issue with other groups/SA.

I can name multiple times that a SD or SA has gone full power trip and started stepping on department's toes just because they didn't like them, heck recently on US server [Less than 3 months ago] we had a SD removed because he started power tripping on the first week, and all that will happen is the people power tripping/making SC/ISD their friend group will just move to SA roles and their related guards.

What I WOULD recommend is start reporting these power tripping individuals to have them removed. It's what we do for SSL and staff, why not ECM and O5? Before anyone says "That doesn't work!" we have had multiple ECC and O5-1 removed for power tripping/being toxic. Just report it.
One large administrative group is far better than two tiny groups with limitless authority and no jurisdiction limits who constantly fight for more power. And yes it doesn't work. I can only count like 4 or 5 times where an ECC/-1 was removed by NL and it typically was for reasons much worse than powertripping. If the whole "Just report it to SSL!" thing worked, we wouldnt have been having these issues with Site Command for the past 2 and a half years consistently without real signs of improvement.

Bro I count over 10 people who + supported that were removed/blacklisted from those positions because they were ERP/Cheating/Toxic/Power tripping/Trolling. It doesn't matter.
Like who? There's also been prior SC who -supported this while also being removed from their positions for toxicity.

-Support Most of the people with "High egos" are just going to be in other higher positions
The people with inflated egos wouldn't have the opportunity then to become one of two groups of 4 with, again, limitless authority and no jurisdiction limits. You have more capability to cause damage as part of two tiny ass groups with a bunch of power than you do in a larger group that has to work with other leaders to do things and has people who could actually enforce the rules upon them.

Reactions: "Recker" and Zen
Jun 6, 2023
One large administrative group is far better than two tiny groups with limitless authority and no jurisdiction limits who constantly fight for more power. And yes it doesn't work. I can only count like 4 or 5 times where an ECC/-1 was removed by NL and it typically was for reasons much worse than powertripping. If the whole "Just report it to SSL!" thing worked, we wouldnt have been having these issues with Site Command for the past 2 and a half years consistently without real signs of improvement.
thats what makes SC and ISD being on site cool, its not really a problem just how they are set up to be

Jonas Enry

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Donator
Mar 4, 2023
Ireland
The people with inflated egos wouldn't have the opportunity then to become one of two groups of 4 with, again, limitless authority and no jurisdiction limits. You have more capability to cause damage as part of two tiny ass groups with a bunch of power than you do in a larger group that has to work with other leaders to do things and has people who could actually enforce the rules upon them.
they would just join the centralised group that would have the exact same problem but now with zero counterbalance other than SSL that you already said wouldn’t remove them for the aforementioned reasons. And Secondly on that point it would be SSL who assign the positions of SC are removed so it wouldn’t stop it at all. So arguably having a centralised group would be worse at least ethics and O5 are constantly checking on each other and trying to outplay each other.

Reactions: Gizzmo