Oct 11, 2022
Your in-game name: Cleetus
Your SteamID: STEAM_0:1:67351845
Your steam community link: Date of ban: 3/12/23
What is your exact ban reason (shows when you try to connect): Severe Toxicity
Who banned you: Resolve/Larry Toad
Ban length?: 3 days
What server were you banned on?: (SCP-RP UK or SCP-RP USA): USA
Link a copy of the in-game rules here (the url): What will you do to stop this from happening again: Not type in chat.
Prior to this, have you ever been warned/kicked/banned? Yes, like 1 ban/warn.
Why should you be unbanned: Well simply put, my words were taken out of context and even when given the context of why I said what I said, I was told "regardless of context it's still racist". I don't disagree that what I said could've been taken in a racist way (as it clearly was) but how I meant it was not at all in a racist way. Long story short: I died as a D class brute a fuck ton in un-ethical ways before restart and when server restarted I said "All Brutes are to have their necks kneeled on" or some shit along those lines just meaning like gensec/mtf abuse the fuck out of D class and get away with it. After that someone called me racist and other people were saying shit like "based" and what not so I realized pretty quickly that everyone took that in the wrong direction and my word usage was bad. Upon being pulled into a sit I explained why I said it and that I didn't mean it in a racist way, even though I feel I gave a very reasonable story and explained that I definitely did not mean it that way, Resolve told me that since he found the statement racist (even though I personally didn't mean it that way) he would ban me for severe toxicity. Now if I had a history of stuff like this or was a minge or blatantly said something that was racist and owned it "proudly" or some shit, I would understand. But it was clearly just a mistake of terrible word usage/sentence structure and if he needed to he could've just warned me for toxicity and told me to be careful with my word usage in the future as it was clear I had no intent to be racist w/ what I said. Larry told me he was ok with the ban because I mentioned George Floyd's name about 2 minutes after the Brute comment which I explained I only brought it up because everyone was taking it in that direction. I would also like to point out the person that reported me did so out of spite and was purely looking for any reason whatsoever to ban me. Not a single person reported me for that sentence being taken out of context but him because I made a "mama" joke that he didn't like. Staff not seeing he was witch hunting my out of context sentence was ridiculous and extremely shitty staff work in my opinion. It felt very lazy and like Resolve had made up his mind that I was guilty before the sit even started. I would also like to ask, if I said kneel on scouts necks, would that be ok or racist? I already know the answer I just want to point out how stupid it is that because I said brute specifically (which has more than the black playermodel), it's inherently racist...
How can you ensure that you won't break any other rule?: Like I said earlier, I just won't bother typing in chat.
Why do you want to rejoin this server?: To be completely honest with you I don't really want to re-join this community as I feel it has gone downhill and if I can get banned because a staff member took something I said out of context then I'm over this server and I can spend my time doing something better tbh but I am not a racist person and refuse to allow that staff member to associate racism with me at all especially on my history, that's the only reason I made this appeal.

tl;dr - You shouldn't ban people because of things said in chat out of context unless what they said is blatant even w/ context (like the N word).

Last edited:

Cleetus

Oct 11, 2022
P.S. I am aware my first was denied, hence why I made a second post requesting Server Leadership reviews it. I'm not going to post a brand new post under complaints when SL can just review this here, give their opinion, and deny/accept it and move on.
Double P.S. If you are a staff member you probably should have your messages open so I can msg you this instead of having to post it here on my appeal.

Luft

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Resources Team
Donator
Group Moderator
Jun 6, 2022

"Resolve"

Dec 10, 2022
Hello there Cleetus thank you for taking the time to write this.

As you said I originally brought you because someone was upset about a comment/joke you made towards them in OOC. I do not know what it was as the topic and reason of reporting quickly changed to the comment you made about brutes. In ooc you said "New policy in affect" then "All brutes are to have their necks kneeled on" with no context. Saying something that can be taken offensively in OOC chat without explaining yourself and only telling me doesnt change the fact that you said something (to all the players on our server) that offended a at least one player on our server. And honestly context doesnt matter because of what you said next (EVIDENCE WILL BE ATTACHED AT THE END); "on that note" then "Have you guys been keeping up with that Gorge Floyd stuff?" People didnt "take it that way" no one mentioned Gorge Floyd. Look at it from this perspective: out of context someone says brutes should have their necks kneeled on (The default model and the model that is most used on our server is that of a black man), then brings up Gorge Floyd for no reason whatsoever essentially linking it to what you said previously. The reaction of the players is enough to show that it wrong (multiple people directly or indirectly called you racist). Another thing, if you apologized and clarified it wouldnt have been an issue and you could have even just gotten away with a verbal, instead you didnt justify what you said, you didnt take it back, you didnt apologize, you brought up Gorge Floyd. You said something that was taken offensively and DIRECTLY IN THIS APPEAL recognized that it was taken offensively and instead of clearing the air you just kept going on with it.

Another thing the only other model I know of that the brute is also a racial minority in America and the UK. Frankly saying and connect what you said to any minority that has faced injustice in America (where this server is based) is a good enough reason for a severe tox punishment.

Im also going to add that even if he was witch hunting you (I dont know if he was or was not) I was going to pull you either way for saying that. I was just finishing up a sit as I saw what you said in chat if I remember correctly.

Cleetus

Oct 11, 2022
In ooc you said "New policy in affect" then "All brutes are to have their necks kneeled on" with no context. Saying something that can be taken offensively in OOC chat without explaining yourself and only telling me doesnt change the fact that you said something (to all the players on our server) that offended a at least one player on our server.
Thank god you said this because you are proving my point: You banned me because something I said was taken out of context and once you investigated it by pulling me into a sit, you didn't give me options at all, you completely ignored my explanation for what I said and told me "regardless of the context, I find it racist there for you are getting a ban". You didn't ask me to apologize publicly or proclaim to the server it wasn't meant in that regards or I gladly would've explained in OOC to everyone that I didn't mean it in such a manner. Just because you personally were offended by an out of context statement does not mean you reserve the right to give me a 3 day ban once I give you the full context, that is what staff are for, you investigate situations and upon getting all the facts you make a decision. Upon getting the facts (me clearly not meaning it in that manner) you still banned me because you personally disliked the statement that was out of context. When I was staff someone reported a player for a "sexist" remark towards Kuma and upon pulling her she said it was completely fine and the guy meant no harm, but because one guy found it offensive out of context should I have banned that player for toxicity upon not disclosing to the whole server he didn't mean to be sexist? No.
And honestly context doesnt matter because of what you said next (EVIDENCE WILL BE ATTACHED AT THE END); "on that note" then "Have you guys been keeping up with that Gorge Floyd stuff?" People didnt "take it that way" no one mentioned Gorge Floyd.
Actually the guy that reported me instantly said "that's racist" and another few players said "based". Using common sense I deduced how everyone was taking that comment, sure I was the first one to specifically say his name a couple minutes after what I said but I most certainly wasn't the first person who decided to take it in that direction. I wanted to move the topic off from my comment so I moved it to a much less racist view and genuinely asked if people kept up with that situation, how is that a bad thing? I felt at the time saying nothing looked much worse so to lighten the mood I tried to genuinely have a conversation regarding that topic.
Look at it from this perspective: out of context someone says brutes should have their necks kneeled on (The default model and the model that is most used on our server is that of a black man), then brings up Gorge Floyd for no reason whatsoever essentially linking it to what you said previously. The reaction of the players is enough to show that it wrong (multiple people directly or indirectly called you racist).
Key word again "out of context". I already said I do see how it could've been taken as a racist remark out of context and I do apologize for it being taken that way, but upon you finding out I meant to harm and didn't mean it in that regard, you disregarded my explanation and made it look like I genuinely meant to be racist when I said that. I would've gladly apologized globally and explained the remark wasn't intended to be taken in such a way. Also I would like to state again that I didn't bring up George Floyd for "no reason". I brought it up because I saw how everyone was mistaking my sentence for racism and wanted to get a genuinely non-racist and normal conversation going over the incident to get away from the comment. You saying that multiple people's reaction showed they took it wrong just proves my point that I was not the first one to think that my comment could've been in regards to George Floyd.
Another thing, if you apologized and clarified it wouldnt have been an issue and you could have even just gotten away with a verbal, instead you didnt justify what you said, you didnt take it back, you didnt apologize, you brought up Gorge Floyd. You said something that was taken offensively and DIRECTLY IN THIS APPEAL recognized that it was taken offensively and instead of clearing the air you just kept going on with it.

Another thing the only other model I know of that the brute is also a racial minority in America and the UK. Frankly saying and connect what you said to any minority that has faced injustice in America (where this server is based) is a good enough reason for a severe tox punishment.

Im also going to add that even if he was witch hunting you (I dont know if he was or was not) I was going to pull you either way for saying that. I was just finishing up a sit as I saw what you said in chat if I remember correctly.
I am pretty sure I did apologize and if I didn't apologize, me trying so hard to explain to you I meant no harm by the comment should've been more than enough to show clear remorse w/o me verbally saying "sorry". You are right, I didn't justify what I said, wtf do you mean "take it back"? I can't delete the comment. I explained how I actually meant the comment and you still didn't care??? And for the 100th time I only said George Floyd's name AFTER everyone clearly mistook what I said as an attempt to have a genuine conversation regarding the topic, not to "link" the two sentences together. Have you even read what you just posted bro? I realize in this appeal I recognized that it was taken offensively and I DID clear the air in the fucking SIT with YOU. But even after CLEARING THE AIR you BANNED ME. Why do you think I made this appeal?!?! The only thing I "kept going on with" was the context of why I said what I said, I never once said that the sentence was ok, I just explained why I said it WITH context so you could see how I actually meant it and not how a few people took it. You did lazy staff work, took my words out of context, received the full legit context from me in the sit and said "fuck your context, I find that out of context sentence racist so your context doesn't matter, enjoy the ban". And upon receiving a higher up you didn't bring me into the sit as I got deployed by ERT and explained what happened to the higher up w/o me being there so I have no clue if he even got the full context of my story before he agreed with you to ban me.

Mfer it's 2023, everyone is a minority in this fucked up country, but regardless of our political beliefs, you can't just declare sentences racist when they are taken out of context just because a fucking Gmod playermodel is black/asian/white/mexican, etc. Like I said before, would you have banned me if I said "kneeling on the necks of scouts"? If not then I would say you're pretty racist but hey, that's just MY political belief, would I want you to get a 3d toxicity ban because you said something w/o context though that I might mistake as racist? No, I would just request context and if you explained how you meant it, I would move on and advise maybe a rephrasing of your sentence in the future.

He was definitely witch hunting me regardless of whether or not you would've pulled me into a sit yourself for what I had said. Also my memory is pretty good, I do not remember anyone being returned from a sit before you pulled me and you also weren't AOD so I highly doubt that's the truth but I digress.

Last edited:

Jules

Donator
May 22, 2022
Pinewood Canada
mysttea.carrd.co
Appeal Response

Hi @Cleetus

Thanks for taking the time to make a ban appeal.

So, I am going to be taking all the information that is laid out here bit by bit and we are going to go over some things...

Because looking at chat logs within the game and what was said before the sit it does show you being overly toxic in OOC and saying more than just the neck comment. There is no-context to it before you say it or after.

Without a full clip of the sit in question when he pulled you I cannot fully comment on how it was handled or mishandled like you say but it does show to me the staff didn't handle it fully correct. But let this be known that staff do have their discretion to pull someone who is openly misbehaving.

But after reviewing everything in and out of game I choose to stand by the choice of the ban as there is no way to not take your words in any other context. Please do be careful what you say.

You may re-appeal in 2 weeks.

Kind regards,

Jules

Status
Not open for further replies.