Denied Reverse the GOC tryout changes.

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kito

Oct 11, 2022
Arkansas
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Reverses the decision to make GOC tryout-based rather than application-based.
Re-applies the GOC Recruit whitelist requirement.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
+ Applications work as-is(or as they were), all development time would simply be re-opening such a threat system and the whitelist for GOC Recruit.
+ Removal of tryouts means COs don't have to essentially read the forums application questions out every time they want new people.
+ Less minges on GOC, with folk hopping onto GOC Recruit to spout non-sense in open comms, primarily information breaches.
+ It would bring back the creativeness that is needed for the GOC and clearly show it through an application's format.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
- The tryout room may not be used as much. However the tryout room is broken, so really it shouldn't be used period.
~ When a kill house IS introduced, it might be more effective to conduct tryouts.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
Currently, without a kill house, the only difference between how the system worked before and now is that now you have COs deal with mingy recruits, which gets more people blacklisted, and force the COs to read out the application's questions(even if they're different questions). This is obviously annoying for the CO team on GOC, and has no increased acceptance of GOC members(so far).

I don't see any reason to keep this system, since the GOC is split 3 ways, with 2 of those ways being RP focused. The GOC did not need to do tryouts, and I am sure the people who suggested/pushed for tryouts are regretting it now, or don't conduct them. The US has accepted 6 total members from tryouts(as far as I am aware), and the UK has accepted 0 total members from tryouts(as far as I am aware). I will update these figures as I am informed.

As Server Leadership put it, we are not CI 2.0. Tryouts only enforce this fact. Tryouts work for MTFs, and CI, because both of those play-styles are heavily combat/PvP focused. The GOC is NOT heavily combat OR PvP focused. 2/3 divisions are fueled entirely by RP, with the last division being the go-to MTF-style PvP/Combat heavy RP.

With the GOC being so heavily RP based, an application can show how creative an individual can be. Essentially, the more creative the application, the more creative the RP. It showed before how well an individual knew certain topics of the GOC, gave those individuals time to learn and gain knowledge regarding these topics, and allowed individuals to apply their creativity to their knowledge for us to see. We cannot attain that from a tryout.

Pollastre

Aug 19, 2022
+Support
I feel that a forums application fits the GOC's style a lot more than tryouts.

Kito

Oct 11, 2022
Arkansas
-SUPPORT
Tryouts are better and more fair imo
Tryouts are literally just the forums application, but read out to you. It is substantially more work for COs to deal with, and has no benefits. GOC should not be run or treated like an MTF, or CI. The application is also a great way to gauge creativity, which is needed for anything in GOC period.
Tryouts and applications have legit no difference right now, aside from a few question tweaks, and having things read out loud. Duno how it is "more fair" when it is the same thing.

Basilisk

Donator
Jun 30, 2022
Norway
Elaborate.
I cannot debate with a brick wall.
Tryouts are more better in my opinion because it would make sense for GOC to pick recruits either from different military around the world or pmc organizations / Law Enforcement agencies and hold tryouts for the potential candidates and the ones that doesn't meet the mark of acceptance to become a member of GOC are amnesticated and ditched.

Kito

Oct 11, 2022
Arkansas
Tryouts are more better in my opinion because it would make sense for GOC to pick recruits either from different military around the world or pmc organizations / Law Enforcement agencies and hold tryouts for the potential candidates and the ones that doesn't meet the mark of acceptance to become a member of GOC are amnesticated and ditched.
If we're gonna go with lore-accurate GOC, the CI cell would be wiped and obliterated immediately, and the Foundation site would be assaulted relentlessly the moment they declare war on the GOC. Oh and they would have invisibility, giant mechs, and all of it's operatives would never bleed due to the black suit being standard issue, and they would have the ability to kill God.

We're discussing server-related and down to Earth GOC. Yea tryouts would make more sense overall because applying for the GOC is stupid ICly, but tryouts and applications are OOC in their entirety.

Tryouts are more work for COs, with less results. I think the UK finally passed TWO whole people and the US has only passed SIX total(as far as I am aware).

Reactions: DaveDogs

Moros

Jan 8, 2023
Canada
+Support.

Tryouts haven't been great. Grilling people on GOC lore doesn't really give us a good indication of their fit for the regiment.
I liked seeing the creativity and effort put into creating an application.

US GOC GEN btw

Second

+/- Neutral

The tryout system came out half-baked and annoying to attend for recruits and even more annoying to host for COs.

If we had a tryout room bigger than our bunks and an actual Killhouse we could do a lot more, even if it isn't used for tryouts having extra training space is ALWAYS nice.

The fact that (on the US site) our training room didn't have Hacking terminals at all for practice/training (I had to beg a Sr. Admin for them, shoutout to Mercer) and our door doesn't work shows that this system was not ready to be released. We also don't have a calendar announcement system like CI/F does for Killhouse and CI Training Room respectively. It makes it hard for players to know when Tryouts are happening in-game and it makes it annoying for COs to repetitively have to say "Tryouts in GOC in x minutes, flag on!" in OOC. It's so bad that I am the only CO (out of 9 people, including GEN/LTGEN) on the US server that dares actually host tryouts, and I don't do it cause I find the process fun, I do it for the betterment of the UNGOC.

Can tryouts work? Yes. I think if the proper care from the development team for our base as a whole, let alone our Training Room, was to be applied like it was with HCZ/CS updates, GOC tryouts would be more practical. As is, tryouts are not sustainable. It is too tedious because of our lack of options.

Reactions: DaveDogs

verybobby

MRP War Criminal
Donator
Oct 10, 2022
Suggestion Denied

Hi @Kito,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion. Due to a lack of consensus from US and UK GOC, we're unable to accept this suggestion.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

Status
Not open for further replies.