Accepted Save/Load Character Names

This suggestion has been accepted for future development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023

What does this suggestion change/add/remove:

The title doesn't really explain it well, but basically, in addition to or potentially as part of the edit name function in either the character tab (or menu), let us pop up a little menu where we can just save/load character names to/from it. This is a small QoL request to facilitate ease of changing names for same-faction characters.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:

This is a soft re-opening of an idea that has been presented before in January, by Zen; In their suggestion about creating multiple characters in the same faction. This simply explores an alternative solution to a problem, as staff said:
We will look into the vehicle claiming bug but otherwise not needed
Firm disagree, but eh. If you won't do that, will you do this?

There is also an active suggestion from Archangel about changing an explicitly written rule to fit how the server operates in terms of naming conventions. While this does slightly intersect in that regard, everyone is still subject to naming convention rules regardless of whether they're able to just swap to them on hand or not.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):

• Facilitating RP diversity/immersion by making it easier to retain and swap between character names on the same faction

• Token second positive that is definitely real please believe me

• Nerfs 073

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:

• Honestly, I feel you on this one. Fuck doing any kind of UI implementation, especially on a heavily modded source game hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If it's too much work for what is ultimately a minor inconvenience, then fine.
  • Underutilisation

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:

I know this is crazy to some people, but some people do actually treat their characters on different jobs as like, actual different characters in RP. Shocking. And this is, according to Ventz...? Like, the multiple characters in one faction, that's apparently a planned thing for Site-9 according to the teaser thread, even though it was dismissed as "not needed" for Site-65. So why can't we have it at least done this way instead for now?

Potential Arguments Against Implementing This Suggestion & Rebuttals To Them:
  • You would still be subject to the name change cooldown. I'm not suggesting that this bypass that. That's not relevant to this.
  • Tuck it away a little, then. Idk.
  • 580b57fcd9996e24bc43c4c4.png

Lion

Developer
Developer
Programming Team
+support

Seems pretty simple, would be nice QoL wise. These could be cached on the client so it shouldn’t have any issues with performance either (database queries). Could be as simple as a little dropdown arrow beside the name text entry.

Good luck with the suggestion :)

grunger

Feb 26, 2023
Just a small clarification - would this mean that every saved name would be reserved only for yourself to use?

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
Just a small clarification - would this mean that every saved name would be reserved only for yourself to use?
that's an interesting issue, actually - i think no, and i suppose it would have to do the check each time you try to change to it? but i'm not sure how to reconcile name clashing in that regard, actually. i wonder if there's a tool for staff to see who has what name to try and clear up people name squatting or w/e

ToasterStrudels

Dec 18, 2023
+Support

they should let us delete characters too. im forever branded with 2 foundation characters until they let us do it.

Cheesy

Nov 13, 2022

+/- Neutral

Personally I would barely use this as a feature but I like the idea, I guess. Post feels a bit too “bro trust me on this”

Last edited:

Dr. Ternith Plague

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Dec 13, 2023
As someone who has multiple identities for one character. And as a Gamemaster.

Yes please.

+Support

Auburn

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Group Moderator
Jan 2, 2023
Suggestion Approved

Hi Emilia,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as accepted.​

Status
Not open for further replies.