Denied Scranton RAs Prevent Targeting People Within Their Range

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Make reality bending abilities unable to affect people that are inside the range of a Scranton Reality Anchor, similar to how it can't affect those that are outside of its cell when contained.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
Not that I could find.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • Makes SRAs much more useful in a way that isn't just increasing the range, so it's more interesting
  • Makes SRAs actually useful in places that aren't with the reality bender trapped in a corner
    • They're currently not really useful at all when they're on the move, e.g. when escaping towards EZ
  • With SRAs being actually useful in more areas of site, it balances reality benders in those areas, as it can currently be quite an issue to try to combat them when they have free movement and can just leave the range of the SRA easily
  • Makes SRA placement a more tactical decision, as people may e.g. choose to place it next to where they are so they can target it from their position, rather than running towards the reality bender to die
    • Basically gives a lot more options for placement and usage, so it makes fighting as/against TG much more interesting
  • The code to block the ability usage like this already exists as part of the Type-Green containment blocker, so all that is needed to be done is apply that to people when they are in the range of an SRA
  • EDIT: Makes logical sense that they would do this, as they are supposed to "anchor reality" - the reality bending effects applying when within range of a reality anchor doesn't really make sense
    • It makes so much sense that some people thought this was already how it worked.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  • Could be unbalanced, though I don't personally believe it will be
    • If it does turn out to be unbalanced when first added, it can either be removed again or otherwise nerfed
      • Possibilities for nerfs: you can still target, it just takes more energy; range reduction of SRAs
  • Dev time

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
It would make fighting both as and against reality benders much more interesting and tactics-based. It should ideally make reality benders more balanced, as currently they usually just move out of SRA range easily or use an insta-kill ability on you before you can even attempt to place it.

Last edited:

FrostByte

Civil Gamers Expert
Dec 25, 2021
+Support

Reality Anchors are probably the most useless containment tool we have. You place it down, it has a range of like 5 feet, and can be completely negated by Type Greens. On top of that, you then need to follow a 5 minute cooldown just to place the already underpowered object again regardless of whether or not you died. It needs a buff.

Reactions: Zen

Bill Nye The Guy

May 28, 2022
-support:

TG breach detected​
12 E-11 pull out reality anchors​
Place anchors around him in HCZ​
(He can't target anybody inside of the anchors)​
Blast him from all angles​
End the breach in 5 minutes​

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
+Tentative Support
Although i don't think it'll be as simple as
  • The code to block the ability usage like this already exists as part of the Type-Green containment blocker, so all that is needed to be done is apply that to people when they are in the range of an SRA
Basically, all the time reality bending swep targeting is open, you need to be checking... Uh, let's say that whoever it is you're trying to target isn't within [SRA radius] distance of an SRA. Not really an expensive check itself and there's probably better ways of doing it, but that solves your problem, so long as that check is happening often enough that it's appropriately updating for when the target actually enters and/or exits an SRA radius and not often enough that it's a problem. That needs to be worked out so that it covers the eventualities, while still not breaking the main functionalities of the reality bending swep. Then that also needs to be considered for the 8837 swep and maybe the 22415 swep? Unless it's an inherited behaviour (which would surprise me if Gmod has that level of complexity) - In which case you just need to make sure it's not interfering with the normal operations of either of them.

That's my take on it anyway, I could just be hilariously wrong and the issue is handled a different way because haha funny Gmod.

-support:

TG breach detected​
This is coming from someone that has not been on the receiving end of a reality bender fight. SRAs have an arduously long cooldown timer of 5 minutes after being placed and that's if you're able to place the thing without dying first (in my experience, a rare occasion) - In either case, if you're not the one job that spawns with them, you also have to wait the cooldown to get one from a dispenser.

In my operational experience, SRAs are fundamentally useless. And they will remain so after this change.

And of course, since your -Support comes from CI perspective, my advice to you CI on the matter is either:
  • Get enemy to misplace their anchors
  • Kill them before they can place anchors (also fairly easy since anchors are a bitch to place in the first place, sometimes it just doesn't like where you want to place it and just straight up ignores your attempt when you try)
Also, if there was 12 E-11 VS just 1 TG in a breach situation anyway, the TG is still kinda fucked unless they're Johnson. In which case, this wouldn't help either. It'd just be a temporary hindrance, as an effectively placed one is anyway. I consider your argument under these circumstances void and rest my case.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Bill Nye The Guy

Bill Nye The Guy

May 28, 2022
, if you're not the one job that spawns with them,
you have a serious problem if you continuously fail to place a reality anchor on a job that spawns with them, almost every room in the facility has more than one entrance to it that you can juke the SCP using
since your -Support comes from CI perspective
i literally resigned from my CI positions lul

I consider your argument under these circumstances void and rest my case.

• Haha
Reactions: Emilia Foddg

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
you have a serious problem if you continuously fail to place a reality anchor on a job that spawns with them, almost every room in the facility has more than one entrance to it that you can juke the SCP using
i do and it's with whoever made the damn reality anchor swep. fix your fucking sweps :mad: TG breaches are among the worst to deal with imo because they're just so hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i literally resigned from my CI positions lul
ah it was a resignation announcement, i was wondering about that

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
-support:

TG breach detected​
This entire possibility is prevented by the fact that the SRAs would decay and disappear after like a minute, and then nobody would be able to place another one for 5 minutes after. They can just run away and use corners and stuff to avoid that much damage, even if E-11 had that masterful amount of coordination (we don't).

Skittles

Donator
Oct 20, 2022
-support:

TG breach detected​
The scrantons last as long as my positive bank balance after payday. TG can just go around a corner if one is put down and force E-11 to push him, making new sightlines and reducing scrantons. If E-11 put them all down at once it's a silly move. If TG gets cornered he can push out or be punished for the error he made. It would also give the ability of reducing scrantons more use.

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
+Tentative Support
Although i don't think it'll be as simple as

Basically, all the time reality bending swep targeting is open, you need to be checking... Uh, let's say that whoever it is you're trying to target isn't within [SRA radius] distance of an SRA. Not really an expensive check itself and there's probably better ways of doing it, but that solves your problem, so long as that check is happening often enough that it's appropriately updating for when the target actually enters and/or exits an SRA radius and not often enough that it's a problem. That needs to be worked out so that it covers the eventualities, while still not breaking the main functionalities of the reality bending swep. Then that also needs to be considered for the 8837 swep and maybe the 22415 swep? Unless it's an inherited behaviour (which would surprise me if Gmod has that level of complexity) - In which case you just need to make sure it's not interfering with the normal operations of either of them.

That's my take on it anyway, I could just be hilariously wrong and the issue is handled a different way because haha funny Gmod.

This is coming from someone that has not been on the receiving end of a reality bender fight. SRAs have an arduously long cooldown timer of 5 minutes after being placed and that's if you're able to place the thing without dying first (in my experience, a rare occasion) - In either case, if you're not the one job that spawns with them, you also have to wait the cooldown to get one from a dispenser.

In my operational experience, SRAs are fundamentally useless. And they will remain so after this change.

And of course, since your -Support comes from CI perspective, my advice to you on the matter is either:
  • Get enemy to misplace their anchors
  • Kill them before they can place anchors (also fairly easy since anchors are a bitch to place in the first place, sometimes it just doesn't like where you want to place it and just straight up ignores your attempt when you try)
Also, if there was 12 E-11 VS just 1 TG in a breach situation anyway, the TG is still kinda fucked unless they're Johnson. In which case, this wouldn't help either. It'd just be a temporary hindrance, as an effectively placed one is anyway. I consider your argument under these circumstances void and rest my case.
The way the containment blocker version does it is it simply checks whenever you actually trigger it if the person is outside of the containment blocker, and fails with a warning for only that person when it does.

holymilk

Nov 12, 2023
+support also get rid of the dumb scraton cooldown after placing one down , since 90% of people gotta wait for dispensers anyway and the rest would be containment units who the reality benders target with their insta kill moves.

Guinea

Jun 24, 2022
+ Support
I love P2W SCPS (the idea and menu is cool af however it's broken op to fight)

Prplex

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
Dec 20, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Make reality bending abilities unable to affect people that are inside the range of a Scranton Reality Anchor, similar to how it can't affect those that are outside of its cell when contained.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
Not that I could find.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • Makes SRAs much more useful in a way that isn't just increasing the range, so it's more interesting
  • Makes SRAs actually useful in places that aren't with the reality bender trapped in a corner
    • They're currently not really useful at all when they're on the move, e.g. when escaping towards EZ
  • With SRAs being actually useful in more areas of site, it balances reality benders in those areas, as it can currently be quite an issue to try to combat them when they have free movement and can just leave the range of the SRA easily
  • Makes SRA placement a more tactical decision, as people may e.g. choose to place it next to where they are so they can target it from their position, rather than running towards the reality bender to die
    • Basically gives a lot more options for placement and usage, so it makes fighting as/against TG much more interesting
  • EDIT: Makes logical sense that they would do this, as they are supposed to "anchor reality" - the reality bending effects applying when within range of a reality anchor doesn't really make sense
    • It makes so much sense that some people thought this was already how it worked.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  • Could be unbalanced, though I don't personally believe it will be
    • If it does turn out to be unbalanced when first added, it can either be removed again or otherwise nerfed
      • Possibilities for nerfs: you can still target, it just takes more energy; range reduction of SRAs
  • Dev time

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
It would make fighting both as and against reality benders much more interesting and tactics-based. It should ideally make reality benders more balanced, as currently they usually just move out of SRA range easily or use an insta-kill ability on you before you can even attempt to place it.
+ big support
Rn scrantons feel like one of the most useless items in the game. Inconsistent and hard to use in addition to lag make it even more Inconsistent. Plus there's a stupid 5 minute cooldown for one of the least consistent tools against one of the more op reality benders like 8837 you might as well chuck it and run

Prplex

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
Dec 20, 2023
-support:

TG breach detected​
You realise literally 3 mtf spawn with an anchor Everyone else has to sit through a 20ish minute cooldown if they get killed with it. Plus I assume it would work where once an ability is used the scranton is also used up

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
You realise literally 3 mtf spawn with an anchor Everyone else has to sit through a 20ish minute cooldown if they get killed with it. Plus I assume it would work where once an ability is used the scranton is also used up
There's also a cooldown between placing them, so even they can't place them again for like 5 minutes.

Reactions: Prplex
Status
Not open for further replies.