Denied Sniper DPI Change

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolff

Civil Gamers Expert
Feb 27, 2022
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
It adds a functionality to Sniper Rifles where when aiming (holding the right mouse button) with a Sniper or Energy Weapon, your DPI gets lowered, or in layman's terms, your cursor speed gets slower, allowing for more accuracy when aiming at your target.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
I couldn't find any similar suggestions.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • It would allow for more accuracy with snipers on long range
  • It would be more in line with FPS games where Snipers also lower mouse sensitivity
  • It would benefit players that are unable to (or don't know how to) hotkey their cursor sensitivity

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  • It could make snipers less pleasant to use on short range
  • People would need to get used to the change

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
Based on the positives and negatives I think this suggestion should be accepted as Snipers are meant to be long range weapons anyway and this would be a massive Quality of Life improvement. And even if this isn't really a high priority improvement, Content Team could still put it on the back-burner, adding it when they don't have any big projects going on.

Guinea

Jun 24, 2022
+ Support
One of the most annoying things about sniper combat is that it bumps the dpi. This does kind of hurt balance a little as it could allow for better shot placement.

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023

Mars

Oct 7, 2023
+support already a way to do this but way to advanced, anyways heres tutorial!!

Go to this folder right here in your gmod directory SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg

Create a new file called "sniping.cfg" and open it with notepad, then put these commands within there

alias +sniping "+attack2;sensitivity 1"
alias -sniping "-attack2;sensitivity 2.75"
bind mouse2 +sniping

"alias +sniping" should be the sensitivity you want whilst scoping in and "alias -sniping" should be your normal sensitivity that you use regularly

Then you want to go into your regular "config.cfg" file and manually attach these binds to a key (wont work if you bind it in-game for some reason :()

bind "-" "exec sniping.cfg"
bind "," "unbindall; exec config.cfg"

pressing the bind to "exec sniping.cfg" edits your sensitivity for when you are pressing right click, the only down-side to this is that your sensitivity will permanently be lowered with every gun you use whilst scoping so to combat this, when you are done using your sniper you press a bind that says "unbindall;exec config.cfg" this basically unbinds the sniping.cfg bind and config that you have just made and re-executes your regular config.cfg file (so you dont loose all your binds)

example: in my case where I have "-" attached to my sniping bind I would press "-" to lower my ADS sensitivity whilst pressing "," when I am done sniping, change this to whatever you like

@"Wick" helped me find this

• Love
Reactions: "Wick" and Prplex

Prplex

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
Dec 20, 2023
+big support
Every time I've picked up a sniper I find the scope sensitivity really weird and much higher than I would expect. I know scope sensitivity in tf2 at a similar sensitivity is much lower and the zoom_sensitivity cmd doesn't seem to effect them. An option to adjust would be greatly appreciated even though a lot of mice have dpi shift buttons

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023

Go to this folder right here in your gmod directory SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg

Create a new file called "sniping.cfg" and open it with notepad, then put these commands within there

bind mouse2 +sniping

"alias +sniping" should be the sensitivity you want whilst scoping in and "alias -sniping" should be your normal sensitivity that you use regularly

Then you want to go into your regular "config.cfg" file and manually attach these binds to a key (wont work if you bind it in-game for some reason :()

pressing the bind to "exec sniping.cfg" edits your sensitivity for when you are pressing right click, the only down-side to this is that your sensitivity will permanently be lowered with every gun you use whilst scoping so to combat this, when you are done using your sniper you press a bind that says "unbindall;exec config.cfg" this basically unbinds the sniping.cfg bind and config that you have just made and re-executes your regular config.cfg file (so you dont loose all your binds)

example: in my case where I have "-" attached to my sniping bind I would press "-" to lower my ADS sensitivity whilst pressing "," when I am done sniping, change this to whatever you like

why not just make the sniping bind a toggle, instead of having it be two binds to enable and disable it respectively?

Code:
alias +x_sniping "exec sniping.cfg; alias tog_sniping -x_sniping"
alias -x_sniping "unbindall; exec config.cfg; alias tog_sniping +x_sniping"
alias tog_sniping +x_sniping

bind - tog_sniping

and just put that in autoexec.cfg

Cob Deen

May 24, 2022
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
It adds a functionality to Sniper Rifles where when aiming (holding the right mouse button) with a Sniper or Energy Weapon, your DPI gets lowered, or in layman's terms, your cursor speed gets slower, allowing for more accuracy when aiming at your target.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
I couldn't find any similar suggestions.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • It would allow for more accuracy with snipers on long range
  • It would be more in line with FPS games where Snipers also lower mouse sensitivity
  • It would benefit players that are unable to (or don't know how to) hotkey their cursor sensitivity

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  • It could make snipers less pleasant to use on short range
  • People would need to get used to the change

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
Based on the positives and negatives I think this suggestion should be accepted as Snipers are meant to be long range weapons anyway and this would be a massive Quality of Life improvement. And even if this isn't really a high priority improvement, Content Team could still put it on the back-burner, adding it when they don't have any big projects going on.
+support
Yea, also add that to any scope, cause i can't snipe with a deagle/magnum without my cursor going towards another person's head

Mars

Oct 7, 2023
why not just make the sniping bind a toggle, instead of having it be two binds to enable and disable it respectively?

Code:

bind - tog_sniping

cause binding stuff to the same key usually fucks up on gmod and sometimes one of the binds just disappears randomly

Hoxton

Civil Gamers Expert
Apr 2, 2022

bind mouse2 +sniping

Beat me to it :(

However its way better to bind it to a key so you have lower sens only when holding down a certain key, ill send my binds when Im on pc

Hoxton

Civil Gamers Expert
Apr 2, 2022
//Sniper Precision
alias "-percision" "sensitivity 1.86"
alias "+percision" "sensitivity 0.75"
bind "q" "+percision"

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
cause binding stuff to the same key usually fucks up on gmod and sometimes one of the binds just disappears randomly
eh? i made my sprint a toggle using the same logic and it works just fine

actually looking closer, the reason what i wrote wouldn't work is because unbindall would unbind everything else

Bill Nye The Guy

May 28, 2022
+support

Code:

bind - tog_sniping
i personally used to use this cfg setup for a while

other gun addons (such as CW2) already have this feature so it's quite annoying to have to enable and disable this whenever switchign between SP and MP

Reactions: Emilia Foddg

Edwin

Administrator
Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Jul 10, 2023
Suggestion Denied

Hi @Wolff ,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.
The Content Team has chosen to deny your suggestion due to the following reasons.

This is already on the GitHub

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

Status
Not open for further replies.