??? Transcript: "The Flame of Humanity"

Theme
Foundation
Sensitive Topic
Sensitive Topic

“As I bear witness to the infinite potential of mankind. My office holds the responsibility of granting that ‘infinite potential’. However you choose to wield it, it is your responsibility.”

“And so.. I offer you a glimpse of what the Foundation could be.. A window into a soul under our employment, from within another realm completely separated from yours.”​

Some say the root of all evil is within three types of poison. Greed, Hatred and Delusion. It just exists within the world but where does it come from? If you subscribe to Buddhism, they state that it is part of the cycle of existence but don't elaborate further on that. I think we’re just all victims of circumstance. After all, whilst we’re not immune to such poisons. At the same time, they don’t originate from within us, I think...

Culture studies. Just because you work for the Foundation. Doesn’t mean you can forget the basics. After all, it would be suspicious for a field agent within Korea, who “supposedly” lived there for his entire life but can’t wield chopsticks.

I.. was a washup Agent for M16. Though I'd spent the rest of my life lecturing new agents on nonsense they should’ve remembered from their GCSEs. Till.. the spooks showed up. I would like to say it was like something out of Men in Black. But really.. It's all subtle-like and boring.

First it was just a handshake at a conference for “advanced career opportunities”. These guys are preaching how you could triple your salary if you go private. Work for a corporation, put your talents to good use. Then.. they invite you out to pubs and restaurants. Then they put a big briefcase of promises and riches right in front of your eyes.

Course, I was an incredibly stupid person. So when I refused it all, not on principle because that was old and dead. More so, to see if I can wring out much more. That backfired, as they decided to drag my gambling debts, my bodge job solutions on several of my old cases and my ex-wife. And cuz it ain’t enough to stack my entire past on the table, they also decided to walk back tripling my salary. That wound does need some extra salt for flavour.

And then finally, that fishhook imbedded in your neck as they began to slowly pull that reel in. You can’t say no, it's jammed in your throat. To finally drag you into that veil. From which you’ll never see the light of day, ever again. Apparently I'm a prime catch for the Department of External Affairs. “Desperate old men who wanna live life again because they fucked it up first time around.”

“The Veil of Secrecy”, “The SCP Foundation”, “Secure, Contain, Protect”

It was feared that the Veil of Secrecy would be broken. A concept that a hidden veil surrounds current anomalous society which is a combined effort of many organisations. To keep knowledge of the Anomalous hidden. This in turn would protect us from the horrors and influence of the Anomalous world.

One of the many players in this combined effort is the SCP Foundation. Whom designated failure in preserving the Veil as a “Broken Masquerade”. If the veil of secrecy was to fall, it is theorised that it would result in the breakdown of society. But what of those who exist within the Veil, those whom have to hide and to uphold the status-quo.

And the Foundation needed bodies to fill in the leaks. Because if you throw enough men on it, the world can keep turning and DEA has a recruitment quota to keep.

To protect all those “Unveiled” by sacrificing the lives of those “Veiled”. Should elaborate on those terms. DEA’s pretty strict on classifications. Well.. the Foundation is overall strict on terms anyways..

Those that have been “Veiled”, which is a term to describe those within the veil. Are those who have been brought into the veil by choice or by circumstance. Perhaps those who chose employment at the Foundation to serve and uphold its principles or alternatively those forced by the invisible hand of fate to be imprisoned and observed behind bars.

Whereas the “Unveiled”, perhaps blessed free to live in ignorance and not have to shoulder the burden of the unknown, the unexplored, the unexplained. They would be able to continue their life in peace, free from the horrors. Whilst the rest of us die in the dark, so that they may live in the light. All of current human society lives a life “Unveiled”.

In fact, many Foundation Employees whom possessed close family members or as close. Were given the option to share the details of their employment with them under what is referred to as the “Family Disclosure Protocol”. More like I got ordered to as part of my employment contract. Well.. it’s nice to know that they think my ex-wife is good collateral.

Well.. what they put me on. The city beyond the boundaries of Earth. Warranted it ever so. As I was assigned to Project “Hidden Dawn”.

The O5 Council was concerned with the booming population of anomalous enclaves. That the birth rates of various anomalous city states overtime would result in a combined fertility rate that overtook that of the unveiled world. Capitalising on the anomalous populations facing persecution by Veilkeeping organisations like the Foundation, these enclaves would grow into Rival City-states to their [non-anomalous/non-veiled/nomalous] counterparts, they offered opportunities to those needing to emigrate to live a better life.

This was evident with the creation of another city state that modelled itself after Three Portlands, called the Second Washington. This furthered the fears of the O5 Council as these centres of anomalous populations would become important battlegrounds in a theoretical Eighth Occult War.

The anomalous enclaves house all manner of anomalous entities. Possible examples include Thaumaturgists, Demi-gods and a variety of sub-species that diverged from Mainline Humanity which include vampires, werewolves and the reanimated. Not to mention the many far less human entities that might call these places home.

It was planned that the Department of External Affairs would infiltrate Second Washington with the intention of establishing a pharmaceutical company that aimed to provide services and medication for the population. However, the true goal was to establish a monopoly within the city, akin to what is seen in the US Market.

In which it would engineer a population decline within Second Washington via the distribution of faulty medications, vaccines and services. With the aim of causing birth defects, reduced fertility and reducing life expectancy. Effectively but subtly enacting Population Controls on the city and achieving a sub-replacement fertility rate of below 2.1 per person.

In addition, the O5 Council foresaw that a declining population would lead to an economic crisis. Which could allow for the manipulation of city-state governments who would be desperate for a solution. Furthermore, it would be planned to delay the development of these cities as much as we can. Ensuring they cannot grow to a state similar to what is seen in Three Portlands. Using the population crisis of Japan as the basis for a theoretical model for the project.

The idea had been to trial this within Second Washington and expand it to other anomalous enclaves. As this was one of many projects headed by the O5 Council, which was part of an initiative to suppress the influence of the anomalous community. The project being named as “Project Hidden Dawn“ being championed as the solution to inhibit the growth of these populations.

Whilst an Ethical Issue was apparent with the project. As the project condoned the hidden genocide of a population. This was pushed aside with the O5 Council believing in a core principle that the supremacy of the human race must be maintained at all times, in order to achieve the our goals of “Secure, Contain, Protect”. As well as, weighting the collapse of human society to be a far greater cost than the suffering of a population.

Of course, that's one argument, but some also say that if the Veil of Secrecy was truly shattered and those Unveiled can finally see the world for what it is, The monopoly that the Foundation wields over containing the problems of the world, all those objects in containment and the dilemmas associated with them.

Well… World Governments would ask politely to absorb functions of the SCP Foundation.. Or not so politely. As world governments shouldn’t trust a private entity with the safety of the human race. At which, O5 Council will no longer be in control. Another existential crisis.

Another argument; What other option is there? Peaceful coexistence? Even if that pipe dream was within reach. It is a distant possibility, not a certainty. The O5 Council are gambling with the entire human race and they don’t get second chances.

I believe also during this time. That the Council at the time held a great enmity for the Ethics Committee at the time. Of course, I wasn't aware of all of the moving parts behind the Foundation’s Leadership. Was too busy being overloaded by DEA’s onboarding and orientation. But behind the scenes, the Ethics Committee that existed within the Foundation who wished to exert greater control over the O5 Council. And the Council was fully aware of their aspirations.

The Committee attempted to seize power by trying to pass off a project that aimed to microchip every employee as a O5 Council Directive. And most employees just simply accepted that it is within the spirit of the Council to try to pull something of that nature. After a tedious affair and a few deaths, it was outed that the Committee falsified and framed the Council. But the balance of power wasn’t within the Council’s favor to replace the Committee at the time.

After which, set a precedent that the Council and Ethics Committee would steer clear of each other's business in order to maintain the peace. Of course, the Council saw this as a golden opportunity to finally hang the Committee. Hence why.. Such a project would even be conceived, carried out and kept under wraps.

The Council was ever wrathful. Decided to why not repeat the trick that served the Committee upon them. To use Project Hidden Dawn to tie a noose around the Ethics Committee neck. As the Council wishes to name the head of the project to be the Ethics Committee. As once the aims of the project are met or we’re not met. It would result in one of two scenarios if the full extent of the project was ever discovered.

Scenario One, if the project was a success, achieving all goals. The Ethics Committee could be charged with the genocide of a population, as Second Washington did feature some normal non-anamolious humans.

Scenario Two, if the project was a failure, not achieving any goals. The Council could move to remove any policies and administrative red tape put up by the Committee. Allowing for the Council to conduct further and other projects without interference. Citing the Committee is unfit to manage such projects.

Whilst many would champion the Ethics Committee for being the bastion of righteousness. No matter what decisions they ever finalized. There was always a person who disagreed from the lowliest of employees to Site Directors. Hence with projects with such grey morality they tarried on such decisions. Because they are always one decision away from being disbanded for no longer being the bastions of righteousness.

In essence, they wished to manufacture a Casus Belli. To rally personnel discontent with the Ethics Committee. As the Council were full of confidence that they would win in the end. As in either scenario, the Committee would resist.

Second Washington was chosen for this project. As it was most applicable to Project Hidden Dawn. As it banned the emigration of Robotic Sentient and AI to allow for more growth opportunities for its population. As well as allowing for the O5 Council to test their theory of engineering a declining population. In addition, its recently formed government was new to the scene and staffed with fresh faces who never ran a city. So there were already a great many failings present but despite this they continued to expand at a rapid pace.

The Pharmaceutical company was named “Luminous Laboratories”, holding the company motto. “Creating the beacon of discovery...”

Throughout all this, I was deployed to the city as Field Operative with the goal of suppressing scientific studies and journalism that threatened to expose it all.

In addition, I was tasked with identifying board members of Luminous Laboratories. As the company was publicly traded, which allowed for ownership of board positions to fluctuate. I was tasked to ensure that they remain under the influence of the Foundation through all means available. Ranging from blackmail, bribery and in some cases, removing them from their positions if those failed.

Furthermore, my duties included engaging in Espionage and sabotaging competitors. Via theft of trade secrets, planned patients and use of amnestics on Manager-level positions to cause dysfunction within said rivals.

Of course, it wasn’t like this from the beginning. But management does love to mismanage. And I get saddled with extra work beyond what was agreed to.

I.. don’t remember most of my duties. I do feel my mind adrift sometimes with the overuse of amnestics. Perhaps what I saw within that city disgusted and horrified my mind. Unfortunately, I was tasked to assassinate a rogue scientific consultant from the Foundation. Probably was disgusted by the project and tried to enact his own form of repentance. He had fled into Second Washington and I was the closest asset within the city. I.. chose not to fog my mind with amnestics after that.

After which, the Department of Internal Affairs covered up his death as a break-in by the city's criminal groups. Which drove the scientific teams to further extremes. As their inhibitions and reverence for life disappeared. As well as the plot being leaked to an extremist faction of the Global Occult Coalition. Who plotted to hijack the project for their own goals, but at the time we weren’t aware of that.

The Foundation, acting as Luminous Laboratories. Proceeded with a host of measures and “experiments” to achieve the goals of Project Hidden Dawn. Keep in mind, this is only what I’ve known with my access level.

A mild form of contraceptive substance was introduced to the city’s water supply. Which held a whole host of side-effects. Such as Lowered Fertility and Gastrointestinal Problems.

Caloric content of food has been increased by a factor of 1.5x. Leading to a subtle 10% in obesity rates, in tandem, this raised profits for Luminous Laboratories weight loss programs. This is later passed onto future generations as obesity rates are projected to increase, shortening the average lifespan of the population.

All publicly available medications had a 15% failure rate. Leading to an increase in hospitalization due to medication failing to address acute symptoms. Such as pain relievers, mood stabilizers, antiseptics & antibiotics and stimulants. This coupled with incorrect dosages leading to a greater degradation on the population's livers.

All of this was able to occur. As the Foundation plotted to prevent the City from establishing an organization that's similar in nature to the US’s Food and Drug Administration. As in a public statement by a Luminous Laboratories stated that bureaucratic red tape would interfere with innovations.

Innovations such as artificial wombs and DNA editing. Whilst championed as Second Washington's greatest triumphs. Luminous Laboratories held the monopoly on Gene Clinics and said Artificial Wombs. The future generations of the city’s population had their DNA altered to include harmful health conditions. Such as various cancers, Immunodeficiency and weakened muscles and organs. Which would be passed onto future generations, if they chose to have children.

After a good while, the project had progressed to the point that Luminous Laboratories is in full control of the government through lobbying groups and manipulation of significant government officials. All of the aims of the project were completed and it was planned to be expanded to other city states.

To the point that Luminous Laboratories were transformed to Luminous Corp. Finally becoming a corporation. Adding the second part to their motto which read “..to face the world wielding wings of light''. As they were empowered by the Second Washington Government and were in the process of being the main health service provider for the city. Slowly overtaking responsibilities of the city’s hospitals and clinics.

In fact, Project Hidden Dawn was surprisingly an outstanding success. They didn’t expect the profits of Luminous Corp to balloon to the point that eclipsed the initial budget set for the project and is instead becoming quite the cash cow for the O5 Council. Despite preying on the suffering of a city’s population. In fact, the Council was questioning how to spend the profits of Luminous Corp, if they ever chose to cash out any assets from the Corporation.

It had also started its expansion into Public Infrastructure and the Agricultural sector. As Luminous Corp would overtake its rivals. This was through an aggressive tactic which was to produce a quality but far cheaper brand of product. Sell the product at a cost that was attractive to the customer, however was unsustainable from a production viewpoint. Then put the prices back up once its competitors were put out of business and they consumed all of the market share possible. If coffee was sold at $1 a jar. Luminous Corp sold it for 30 cents a jar and took on the loss.

Luminous Corp appears in every part of Second Washington’s citizen life. From the very coffee they drank to start the morning. To the bandages they used at work. To the TV dinner trays they ate in the evenings.

But a range of internal conflicts and an intense mixture of motives. Resulted in a catalytic series of events that transformed the project from enforcing population controls to the outright extermination of the city’s population. As the O5 Council started to lose control of the personnel assigned to the project.

The leak grew into a massive flood of information that swept its way to many players. As all involved on the project started to disregard measures, protocols and policies put in place that were supposed to protect us all. And we all sat around the table pointing fingers at each other. The Scientific branch for starting this whole mess, DEA for not suppressing the leaks on their end and IA for not considering the gravity of their actions.

Personally, DEA was overworked. Stretched far beyond what we were capable of. I went from a simple Operative who was supposed to be a simple plant to just listen for info. To being a Foundation triggerman who spent eighteen hour workdays cleaning up mess after mess. I kid you not, I would just hop between apartment blocks every hour on the dot, committing murders in broad daylight.

Whilst the city’s police sucked, so did the public transport. Foundation wasn’t willing to let me have a car so I had to ride the bus everywhere. Getting roasted alive in those rusted tin cans whilst they handed me a list of twenty people to kill and it all had to be done before midnight.

Of course, nothing was to last forever. As the Chaos Insurgency moved into the city after discovering the contents of Project “Hidden Dawn”. They spent vast amounts of time, profiling ex-military citizens of Second Washington and slowly feeding them intelligence, resources and guidance to be “paramilitary officers”. Reportedly they had over thirty of these “paramilitary officers” referred to as the “Second Suns Crew”.

Of course, they obscured their true identities to these “paramilitary officers” and were preparing them for something big. Some of them, already exposed to the horrors inflicted upon them by the Foundation, were forced to flee into the veil for their lives. Or perhaps, they saw an unfit government and the chance to become “heroes” or “liberators”.

Then it began. A coordinated attack on the city’s infrastructure. In which they aimed to disrupt and disable electricity, water and gas. At precisely Midnight. twenty-three substations and buildings were targeted. All these attacks were done by pairs of two men in balaclavas. However, their coordination differed between attacks. From them simply not stepping foot on the property and shooting out vital components with a sniper rifle, to them simply lobbing explosives into the property.

The biggest attack was an explosion of a water thaumaturgical plant resulting in the poisoning and contamination of the City's Water Infrastructure. As Luminous Corp was expanded to be the city's main supplier of water through corruption. As access to drinking water, electricity and gas dried up. City-wide riots sparked. Being further fueled by an outpour of information exposing the Project itself and the influence of Luminous Corp on the government.

At this point. We then were alerted to the presence of the Chaos Insurgency. And by the time we gave chase and had boots on the ground to kick in doors. They ran, they ran for the hills. Leaving behind a city in chaos. Their plan spanned months of planning and preparation, for it all to be executed in the span of three days. And this grand plan was continuing to unravel still as the worst was yet to come.

Despite the Foundation’s control over mainstream media within Second Washington. It didn’t stop the underground scene from discussing it on Forums and Social Media. As CI started to spread information about how Luminous Corp controlled their government fueling outrage and fervor, which only intensified over the span of a few days.

The last nail in the coffin was that the Second Washington government was discovered to be secretly bailing out Luminous Corp as their share prices plummeted due to public opinion in the midst of their city falling apart. In which, CI broadcasted in the last medium available to the public. Over the radio.

Their coup de gras was activating those “paramilitary officers”, in which they made a call to arms. To rise up and overthrow the government. All thirty of these paramilitary officers gathered all those displaced by the crisis and gathered under a single banner. Naming themselves the “Soldiers of Dawn”.

En masse, They distributed an information package on how to run an insurgency cell/”defense militias”. From manuals on basic military tactics and formations, drilling soldiers and organizing them, creation of IEDs, insurgency tactics and much more. As well as, Dead Drops for weapons and ammunition and information where next Dead Drops would be for further supplies. All CI did was lit the spark on this city and watched it burn itself to the ground. And try as we did to suppress it, but every doomsayer and end of world preppers archived and aided in spreading it.

The police and the hastily put together a supposed “national guard”. Provided with some guidance by the Foundation after knowing CI had a hand in this madness. However, already exhausted by the rioting and rise of crime during the outage. A quasi-revolutionary platoon marching through the streets pushed them over the edge. As after they dismantled the current government and executed them by publicly beheading them. They exclusively hunted police officers and any counter groups that sided with the former government.

The Chaos Insurgency’s role after the fact was that of Arms Dealers. Who held the greatest influence over the “Soldiers of Dawn”. After all, they just stop sending them weapons, if they don't follow orders. If you think conflict zones on Earth are bad. Wait til you see a mage vacuum the blood out from within the veins out of your eye duct. Whilst it was all decentralized, CI were still the main source of weapons, hence held a higher control over all Insurgency Cells within the city.

And well.. Before the prior Second Washington Government was overthrown. People were relatively fine.. ish. While day-to-day functions grinded to a halt, people stayed at home to avoid all the chaos in the streets. But as the days went past.. Their supplies of food and water were running dry. They need to find a way to live. This city was a melting pot of a variety of cultures. And Sarkicite Conclaves preached the answer to the masses. Cannibalism was the solution to the population by these so-called preachers.

With the information of Luminous Corporation widespread. Sarkicism was championed as the cure of the people to solve their biological deficiencies. As priests welcomed all those with ailments and lured them with promises of curing them. As many in the city suffered with long term health conditions that physically disfigured them.

A whole range of factors contributed to this. Primarily the artificial wombs as one of Luminous Corp’s innovations, as the City was faced with a population decline. Luminous Corp proposed a social program which aimed to grow the next generation. In the city ran-care homes. However, they chose to use the fewest variants of DNA. In effort to create what was dubbed an “incest time-bomb“. As it was expected, the average Second Washington’s citizen was closely related out of 1 in 3 odds.

For the city itself, well you ever hear the saying “It’s easier to blow up the trains, than to make them run on time.” Well when the “Soldiers of Dawn'' took over the city and kicked out the old government. They had no clue on how to run a city. After the initial team of Chaos Insurgents left the city. The original “Soldiers of Dawn'' splintered into two groups. “Yellow Dawn” and “White Dawn”. And so, internal strife ensued, they couldn’t have two heads on the throne.

And the answer from the Yellow & White Dawn to the decline of Public Order and the rampant cannibalism. Shoot everyone. Shoot every single person involved. Whilst normally that would be the solution to restore order. If only they had any humanitarian aid to solve the water and food crisis after the shootings. At least with a hunger crisis, people would be exhausted to rebel. So if anything it amplified the issue further and there were a lot more corpses to feast upon. In essence, they helped feed the chaos both figuratively and literally.

And it didn’t help that there were Sarkic Preachers in both camps of the Yellow and White Dawn, so they blamed each other and shot at each other much as they did to the civilians.

With the information of Luminous Corporation widespread. Sarkicism was championed as the cure of the people to solve their biological deficiencies. As priests welcomed all those with ailments and lured them with promises of curing them. As many in the city suffered with long term health conditions that physically disfigured them.

A whole range of factors contributed to this. Primarily the artificial wombs as one of Luminous Corp’s innovations, as the City was faced with a population decline. Luminous Corp proposed a social program which aimed to grow the next generation. In the city-ran care homes. Reminiscent of Nicolae Ceaușescu policies in Romania. As the city moved to invest in child-care facilities, banned contraceptives and abortion.

The Foundation saw this running against the aims of Project Hidden Dawn. As main supplier of said conceptives and abortions. Their answer was to choose to use the fewest variants of DNA. In effort to create what was dubbed an “incest time-bomb“. As it was expected, the average Second Washington’s citizen was closely related in 1 out of 3 odds.

Sarkcism received greater reception as various churches and communities were seen as “for the people”. Reflecting Proto-Sarkcism traditions. As the city was essentially a open war-zone. These closed off-communities from the “supposed” government were seen as sanctuaries. However, the fractured military junta ran by the Yellow and White Dawn. Saw these communities as threats as these communities drifted out of their sphere of influence.

And so went out of their way to target these communities for assimilation. As the very top of Yellow and White Dawn leadership. Composed of self-proclaimed Generals and Colonels who espoused Neo-Sarkic beliefs, believing that they will ascend to apotheosis by consuming all those within Second Washington.

Of course, this blindsided CI themselves. As they hoped at the end of all this to have an entire city under their thumb. You might be asking where the GOC during all of this as they fully expected them to march into the city to resolve this mess by now. Peacekeeping is mostly definitely within their forte. Well.. I'll save that twist for the end.

Once the project was brought to light. The O5 Council defaulted on their original plan. Framing the Ethics Committee as the head of this project. Inciting a greater internal conflict to capitalize on a moment they wanted for so very long. To get rid of the current roster of Ethics Committee members and install their puppets. Or for those who don’t believe the Ethics Committee lies “To finally dismantle the true monsters of the Foundation”

In the end, thousands more employees died fighting for what they believed was “right”. The Foundation couldn’t spare any manpower to resolve the mess they created in Second Washington. The Council were busy trying to not die and threw bodies to maintain their survival. And the remaining Foundation Agents? Well.. The Foundation is too busy killing each other to come save us.

And so all the Foundation Agents left behind had to band together to survive. The Chaos in the streets was growing to a fever pitch and we were dying from it alone. We’re still in this mess and most of us died from starvation alone, gave up, or.. worst of all; they chose to join in with the savages to survive.

Of course within the greater sphere under the Veil. All those that existed within the Anomalous Community, no longer saw us as the “Jailers”. But as monsters who tried to puppet their corner of the world. But all those saw much clearer. And didn’t blame wider Humanity but the Foundation itself for its genocidal project. As discourse related to Project Hidden Dawn began to spread wide and far. Many called for retribution against the Foundation within the infinite halls of the Wanderers Library.

And so, I called in one last favor of a CI Radio Operator. Asked him to connect me to the GOC… Once I got to talking with a GOC Colonel, the bastard refused to restore order. Because this was the fuel they needed to turn the 108 Council against the Foundation. In his words, they were on the fence of taking on the Foundation. And he wants the situation to become a catastrophe that couldn’t be solved by a simple peacekeeping mission, to be then swept under the rug.

I asked why, His answer: A proper crisis is what gets the 108 Council to move in the direction of progress. If he simply does “his job proper”. Everyone will forget this ever even happened in the first place.

In fact, they’ve set up blockades and border checkpoints around the only Ways that go into and out of the city. Under the guise of containing the city, whilst “eventually” making an effort to start peacekeeping operations.

But with the full intention to keep us locked up in here or to capture us if we try to make a break for it and to delay performing any peacekeeping tasks every second possible. I suspect he was lying to his command or they were in on it and letting bureaucracy take care of the rest. It also really makes you wonder how Chaos Insurgency are still able to smuggle weapons past the Ways Blockade fully established by the GOC.

His last words were thanking me.. Claiming his group will finally seize power within the 108 Council. This madman lost the plot completely. Though.. I feel.. If things had gone differently perhaps.. Humanity would’ve just arrived at the same conclusion anyways. Either we live lives defined by the anomalous, or we control the anomalous.

Although.. I do shudder thinking. If we had gotten away with Project “Hidden Dawn”. The new norm for those under the veil were to be silently exterminated by the Foundation, all whilst their lives continued as normal. Perhaps in another universe, we have.

His words stick out to me.. Pretentious bastard was in love with the sound of his own voice. Started to rant on the radio to me.

“How is this any different from the many death camps we field? It is sanctioned by the 108 Council and properly kept under wraps unlike your efforts. Although I will give your organization in making their first outing into the Veiled Community quite the most ambitious.”

“In the flames of war, our organization will be born anew. We will be rid of the naysayers and pacifists that rot our true mission”

“Humanity will no longer fear the unknown.. For we will lead the charge for survival. No longer it will be Fivefold Mission. But one singular mission. The First Mission, above all else. ”

“And then once we are united from within. We will march out to eliminate all those who have wronged us.”

Of course, we’re not doing this out of the kindness of our hearts. But calm down the situation and hopefully escape this clusterfuck. I suppose I'm too much of an “idealist” to believe that good nature simply exists. That bastard GOC colonel is probably laughing at me, alongside that CI radio prick at me for wasting a favour. Bastard was offering me to defect to the Coalition, since the Foundation cast me aside. But I know I’d be walking into GOC Cell to rot, if I were to accept his offer.

Although.. I shouldn’t be too quick to pass judgement. Maybe we’re alike, just victims of circumstance. Was a bit too quick to call him a prick..

And so.. I live another day.. And another.. And til.. I can't see the sun rise again.

“And so.. The flame of humanity burns ever more.. Consuming what it will to survive.”

Originally i wanted to write a continuation after “The Greater Veil”. But involving the anomalous community, The Foundation, CI and GOC in one story. As well as to raise a potential crisis/dilemma that actually engages all of these factions. As well as setting a stage for all these organizations as players in a “greater game”.

What is the answer to an ever expanding anomalous community? Genocide? Co-coexistence? What does “Containment” for such a problem even look like?

It also highlights the GOC, CI and Foundation in what I would describe how they would operate “realistically”. Foundation using their scientific and political prowess to influence the world subtly, almost trying to puppet the world from the shadows. GOC whom exercise significant military power but are held behind by politics and bureaucracy. CI behaving like an actual insurgency. Performing operations in a hit and run manner and not risking its members, also mirroring their parent organization the “Foundation” by trying to puppet the world from the shadows. (If you believe that CI originated from the Foundation)

Lastly, I write this story as a further example and possible inspiration for future writers. The SCP Universe operates on a writer's framework. Think about it.. The opening line of this story is the Administrator showing the life of a singular unknown Foundation Employee. This forms the basis in which the Administrator acts as a vehicle to showcase life about the Foundation and then a further discussion about nature of the Foundation. I could write many other stories from this simple premise alone. I would like to invite prospective writers to consider using these stories as an example on how to expand the universe. As writers inspire other writers.

I may write an alternative story, with a version of the Foundation that attempts co-existence with the Anomalous. Whilst trying to set boundaries and the challenges posed. As a flip-side, the Ethics Committee seizing power instead of the Council. But failing in a similar manner like the Council did in this story, also leading the Foundation into ruin.

I should state clearly. No-one wins at the end of this story. The GOC fail to uphold their duty as peacekeepers within the anomalous community. CI in blind hope of overthrowing a government with Chaos. Fail to control what they have created. Whlist their role as arms dealers allow them some power within Second Washington. It will fade with time. And of course, the Foundation for starting this story to begin with.

I should also mention Second Washington isn’t expanded upon, as I wanted to convey the story rather than show an anomalous city. So readers can imagine for themselves what their “Second Washington” is. Perhaps a regular Metropolis similar to New York, or for the imaginative.. Maybe something akin to Savannas of Africa, similar to Far Cry 2.

Credits

Main writer: Avery Winters (Initial story idea, provided interpretations of the Foundation, GOC, CI and the Administrator.)

Supporting Writer: Jeremy Siens (Give critical feedback on narrative structure, provided a more fleshed out explanation of the Veil of Secrecy and made over 70 editorial comments for grammar and text structure)

Contributor: Houston Benton (Aided with feedback, Gave narrative inspiration in the form of CIA Paramilitary Operations Officers which forms the backbone of how CI operate within this story. Minor editorial credit.)

Change Log

Revision 1.1 - 13/08/2024 : Added sections which go into further depth about the Foundation’s methodology on meeting Project Hidden Dawn. And the further elaborated on the Sarkic communities that formed after the collapse of Second Washington’s government.

Last edited:

MrSiens

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Mar 21, 2022
A very interesting read full of many interesting ideas that im very lucky to have been able to help along to completion, if i had not known better, i would have belived Washingtwon to be a real enclave mentioned in tales.

Starling6

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Event Team
Mar 15, 2022
Site-65

“As I bear witness to the infinite potential of mankind. My office holds the responsibility of granting that ‘infinite potential’. However you choose to wield it, it is your responsibility.”

“And so.. I offer you a glimpse of what the Foundation could be.. A window into a soul under our employment, from within another realm completely separated from yours.”​

Some say the root of all evil is within three types of poison. Greed, Hatred and Delusion. It just exists within the world but where does it come from? If you subscribe to Buddhism, they state that it is part of the cycle of existence but don't elaborate further on that. I think we’re just all victims of circumstance. After all, whilst we’re not immune to such poisons. At the same time, they don’t originate from within us, I think...

Culture studies. Just because you work for the Foundation. Doesn’t mean you can forget the basics. After all, it would be suspicious for a field agent within Korea, who “supposedly” lived there for his entire life but can’t wield chopsticks.

I.. was a washup Agent for M16. Though I'd spent the rest of my life lecturing new agents on nonsense they should’ve remembered from their GCSEs. Till.. the spooks showed up. I would like to say it was like something out of Men in Black. But really.. It's all subtle-like and boring.

First it was just a handshake at a conference for “advanced career opportunities”. These guys are preaching how you could triple your salary if you go private. Work for a corporation, put your talents to good use. Then.. they invite you out to pubs and restaurants. Then they put a big briefcase of promises and riches right in front of your eyes.

Course, I was an incredibly stupid person. So when I refused it all, not on principle because that was old and dead. More so, to see if I can wring out much more. That backfired, as they decided to drag my gambling debts, my bodge job solutions on several of my old cases and my ex-wife. And cuz it ain’t enough to stack my entire past on the table, they also decided to walk back tripling my salary. That wound does need some extra salt for flavour.

And then finally, that fishhook imbedded in your neck as they began to slowly pull that reel in. You can’t say no, it's jammed in your throat. To finally drag you into that veil. From which you’ll never see the light of day, ever again. Apparently I'm a prime catch for the Department of External Affairs. “Desperate old men who wanna live life again because they fucked it up first time around.”

“The Veil of Secrecy”, “The SCP Foundation”, “Secure, Contain, Protect”

It was feared that the Veil of Secrecy would be broken. A concept that a hidden veil surrounds current anomalous society which is a combined effort of many organisations. To keep knowledge of the Anomalous hidden. This in turn would protect us from the horrors and influence of the Anomalous world.

One of the many players in this combined effort is the SCP Foundation. Whom designated failure in preserving the Veil as a “Broken Masquerade”. If the veil of secrecy was to fall, it is theorised that it would result in the breakdown of society. But what of those who exist within the Veil, those whom have to hide and to uphold the status-quo.

And the Foundation needed bodies to fill in the leaks. Because if you throw enough men on it, the world can keep turning and DEA has a recruitment quota to keep.

To protect all those “Unveiled” by sacrificing the lives of those “Veiled”. Should elaborate on those terms. DEA’s pretty strict on classifications. Well.. the Foundation is overall strict on terms anyways..

Those that have been “Veiled”, which is a term to describe those within the veil. Are those who have been brought into the veil by choice or by circumstance. Perhaps those who chose employment at the Foundation to serve and uphold its principles or alternatively those forced by the invisible hand of fate to be imprisoned and observed behind bars.

Whereas the “Unveiled”, perhaps blessed free to live in ignorance and not have to shoulder the burden of the unknown, the unexplored, the unexplained. They would be able to continue their life in peace, free from the horrors. Whilst the rest of us die in the dark, so that they may live in the light. All of current human society lives a life “Unveiled”.

In fact, many Foundation Employees whom possessed close family members or as close. Were given the option to share the details of their employment with them under what is referred to as the “Family Disclosure Protocol”. More like I got ordered to as part of my employment contract. Well.. it’s nice to know that they think my ex-wife is good collateral.

Well.. what they put me on. The city beyond the boundaries of Earth. Warranted it ever so. As I was assigned to Project “Hidden Dawn”.

The O5 Council was concerned with the booming population of anomalous enclaves. That the birth rates of various anomalous city states overtime would result in a combined fertility rate that overtook that of the unveiled world. Capitalising on the anomalous populations facing persecution by Veilkeeping organisations like the Foundation, these enclaves would grow into Rival City-states to their [non-anomalous/non-veiled/nomalous] counterparts, they offered opportunities to those needing to emigrate to live a better life.

This was evident with the creation of another city state that modelled itself after Three Portlands, called the Second Washington. This furthered the fears of the O5 Council as these centres of anomalous populations would become important battlegrounds in a theoretical Eighth Occult War.

The anomalous enclaves house all manner of anomalous entities. Possible examples include Thaumaturgists, Demi-gods and a variety of sub-species that diverged from Mainline Humanity which include vampires, werewolves and the reanimated. Not to mention the many far less human entities that might call these places home.

It was planned that the Department of External Affairs would infiltrate Second Washington with the intention of establishing a pharmaceutical company that aimed to provide services and medication for the population. However, the true goal was to establish a monopoly within the city, akin to what is seen in the US Market.

In which it would engineer a population decline within Second Washington via the distribution of faulty medications, vaccines and services. With the aim of causing birth defects, reduced fertility and reducing life expectancy. Effectively but subtly enacting Population Controls on the city and achieving a sub-replacement fertility rate of below 2.1 per person.

In addition, the O5 Council foresaw that a declining population would lead to an economic crisis. Which could allow for the manipulation of city-state governments who would be desperate for a solution. Furthermore, it would be planned to delay the development of these cities as much as we can. Ensuring they cannot grow to a state similar to what is seen in Three Portlands. Using the population crisis of Japan as the basis for a theoretical model for the project.

The idea had been to trial this within Second Washington and expand it to other anomalous enclaves. As this was one of many projects headed by the O5 Council, which was part of an initiative to suppress the influence of the anomalous community. The project being named as “Project Hidden Dawn“ being championed as the solution to inhibit the growth of these populations.

Whilst an Ethical Issue was apparent with the project. As the project condoned the hidden genocide of a population. This was pushed aside with the O5 Council believing in a core principle that the supremacy of the human race must be maintained at all times, in order to achieve the our goals of “Secure, Contain, Protect”. As well as, weighting the collapse of human society to be a far greater cost than the suffering of a population.

Of course, that's one argument, but some also say that if the Veil of Secrecy was truly shattered and those Unveiled can finally see the world for what it is, The monopoly that the Foundation wields over containing the problems of the world, all those objects in containment and the dilemmas associated with them.

Well… World Governments would ask politely to absorb functions of the SCP Foundation.. Or not so politely. As world governments shouldn’t trust a private entity with the safety of the human race. At which, O5 Council will no longer be in control. Another existential crisis.

Another argument; What other option is there? Peaceful coexistence? Even if that pipe dream was within reach. It is a distant possibility, not a certainty. The O5 Council are gambling with the entire human race and they don’t get second chances.

I believe also during this time. That the Council at the time held a great enmity for the Ethics Committee at the time. Of course, I wasn't aware of all of the moving parts behind the Foundation’s Leadership. Was too busy being overloaded by DEA’s onboarding and orientation. But behind the scenes, the Ethics Committee that existed within the Foundation who wished to exert greater control over the O5 Council. And the Council was fully aware of their aspirations.

The Committee attempted to seize power by trying to pass off a project that aimed to microchip every employee as a O5 Council Directive. And most employees just simply accepted that it is within the spirit of the Council to try to pull something of that nature. After a tedious affair and a few deaths, it was outed that the Committee falsified and framed the Council. But the balance of power wasn’t within the Council’s favor to replace the Committee at the time.

After which, set a precedent that the Council and Ethics Committee would steer clear of each other's business in order to maintain the peace. Of course, the Council saw this as a golden opportunity to finally hang the Committee. Hence why.. Such a project would even be conceived, carried out and kept under wraps.

The Council was ever wrathful. Decided to why not repeat the trick that served the Committee upon them. To use Project Hidden Dawn to tie a noose around the Ethics Committee neck. As the Council wishes to name the head of the project to be the Ethics Committee. As once the aims of the project are met or we’re not met. It would result in one of two scenarios if the full extent of the project was ever discovered.

Scenario One, if the project was a success, achieving all goals. The Ethics Committee could be charged with the genocide of a population, as Second Washington did feature some normal non-anamolious humans.

Scenario Two, if the project was a failure, not achieving any goals. The Council could move to remove any policies and administrative red tape put up by the Committee. Allowing for the Council to conduct further and other projects without interference. Citing the Committee is unfit to manage such projects.

Whilst many would champion the Ethics Committee for being the bastion of righteousness. No matter what decisions they ever finalized. There was always a person who disagreed from the lowliest of employees to Site Directors. Hence with projects with such grey morality they tarried on such decisions. Because they are always one decision away from being disbanded for no longer being the bastions of righteousness.

In essence, they wished to manufacture a Casus Belli. To rally personnel discontent with the Ethics Committee. As the Council were full of confidence that they would win in the end. As in either scenario, the Committee would resist.

Second Washington was chosen for this project. As it was most applicable to Project Hidden Dawn. As it banned the emigration of Robotic Sentient and AI to allow for more growth opportunities for its population. As well as allowing for the O5 Council to test their theory of engineering a declining population. In addition, its recently formed government was new to the scene and staffed with fresh faces who never ran a city. So there were already a great many failings present but despite this they continued to expand at a rapid pace.

The Pharmaceutical company was named “Luminous Laboratories”, holding the company motto. “Creating the beacon of discovery...”

Throughout all this, I was deployed to the city as Field Operative with the goal of suppressing scientific studies and journalism that threatened to expose it all.

In addition, I was tasked with identifying board members of Luminous Laboratories. As the company was publicly traded, which allowed for ownership of board positions to fluctuate. I was tasked to ensure that they remain under the influence of the Foundation through all means available. Ranging from blackmail, bribery and in some cases, removing them from their positions if those failed.

Furthermore, my duties included engaging in Espionage and sabotaging competitors. Via theft of trade secrets, planned patients and use of amnestics on Manager-level positions to cause dysfunction within said rivals.

Of course, it wasn’t like this from the beginning. But management does love to mismanage. And I get saddled with extra work beyond what was agreed to.

I.. don’t remember most of my duties. I do feel my mind adrift sometimes with the overuse of amnestics. Perhaps what I saw within that city disgusted and horrified my mind. Unfortunately, I was tasked to assassinate a rogue scientific consultant from the Foundation. Probably was disgusted by the project and tried to enact his own form of repentance. He had fled into Second Washington and I was the closest asset within the city. I.. chose not to fog my mind with amnestics after that.

After which, the Department of Internal Affairs covered up his death as a break-in by the city's criminal groups. Which drove the scientific teams to further extremes. As their inhibitions and reverence for life disappeared. As well as the plot being leaked to an extremist faction of the Global Occult Coalition. Who plotted to hijack the project for their own goals, but at the time we weren’t aware of that.

After a good while, the project had progressed to the point that Luminous Laboratories is in full control of the government through lobbying groups and manipulation of significant government officials. All of the aims of the project were completed and it was planned to be expanded to other city states.

To the point that Luminous Laboratories were transformed to Luminous Corp. Finally becoming a corporation. Adding the second part to their motto which read “..to face the world wielding wings of light''. As they were empowered by the Second Washington Government and were in the process of being the main health service provider for the city. Slowly overtaking responsibilities of the city’s hospitals and clinics.

In fact, Project Hidden Dawn was surprisingly an outstanding success. They didn’t expect the profits of Luminous Corp to balloon to the point that eclipsed the initial budget set for the project and is instead becoming quite the cash cow for the O5 Council. Despite preying on the suffering of a city’s population. In fact, the Council was questioning how to spend the profits of Luminous Corp, if they ever chose to cash out any assets from the Corporation.

It had also started its expansion into Public Infrastructure and the Agricultural sector. As Luminous Corp would overtake its rivals. This was through an aggressive tactic which was to produce a quality but far cheaper brand of product. Sell the product at a cost that was attractive to the customer, however was unsustainable from a production viewpoint. Then put the prices back up once its competitors were put out of business and they consumed all of the market share possible. If coffee was sold at $1 a jar. Luminous Corp sold it for 30 cents a jar and took on the loss.

Luminous Corp appears in every part of Second Washington’s citizen life. From the very coffee they drank to start the morning. To the bandages they used at work. To the TV dinner trays they ate in the evenings.

But a range of internal conflicts and an intense mixture of motives. Resulted in a catalytic series of events that transformed the project from enforcing population controls to the outright extermination of the city’s population. As the O5 Council started to lose control of the personnel assigned to the project.

The leak grew into a massive flood of information that swept its way to many players. As all involved on the project started to disregard measures, protocols and policies put in place that were supposed to protect us all. And we all sat around the table pointing fingers at each other. The Scientific branch for starting this whole mess, DEA for not suppressing the leaks on their end and IA for not considering the gravity of their actions.

Personally, DEA was overworked. Stretched far beyond what we were capable of. I went from a simple Operative who was supposed to be a simple plant to just listen for info. To being a Foundation triggerman who spent eighteen hour workdays cleaning up mess after mess. I kid you not, I would just hop between apartment blocks every hour on the dot, committing murders in broad daylight.

Whilst the city’s police sucked, so did the public transport. Foundation wasn’t willing to let me have a car so I had to ride the bus everywhere. Getting roasted alive in those rusted tin cans whilst they handed me a list of twenty people to kill and it all had to be done before midnight.

Of course, nothing was to last forever. As the Chaos Insurgency moved into the city after discovering the contents of Project “Hidden Dawn”. They spent vast amounts of time, profiling ex-military citizens of Second Washington and slowly feeding them intelligence, resources and guidance to be “paramilitary officers”. Reportedly they had over thirty of these “paramilitary officers” referred to as the “Second Suns Crew”.

Of course, they obscured their true identities to these “paramilitary officers” and were preparing them for something big. Some of them, already exposed to the horrors inflicted upon them by the Foundation, were forced to flee into the veil for their lives. Or perhaps, they saw an unfit government and the chance to become “heroes” or “liberators”.

Then it began. A coordinated attack on the city’s infrastructure. In which they aimed to disrupt and disable electricity, water and gas. At precisely Midnight. twenty-three substations and buildings were targeted. All these attacks were done by pairs of two men in balaclavas. However, their coordination differed between attacks. From them simply not stepping foot on the property and shooting out vital components with a sniper rifle, to them simply lobbing explosives into the property.

The biggest attack was an explosion of a water thaumaturgical plant resulting in the poisoning and contamination of the City's Water Infrastructure. As Luminous Corp was expanded to be the city's main supplier of water through corruption. As access to drinking water, electricity and gas dried up. City-wide riots sparked. Being further fueled by an outpour of information exposing the Project itself and the influence of Luminous Corp on the government.

At this point. We then were alerted to the presence of the Chaos Insurgency. And by the time we gave chase and had boots on the ground to kick in doors. They ran, they ran for the hills. Leaving behind a city in chaos. Their plan spanned months of planning and preparation, for it all to be executed in the span of three days. And this grand plan was continuing to unravel still as the worst was yet to come.

Despite the Foundation’s control over mainstream media within Second Washington. It didn’t stop the underground scene from discussing it on Forums and Social Media. As CI started to spread information about how Luminous Corp controlled their government fueling outrage and fervor, which only intensified over the span of a few days.

The last nail in the coffin was that the Second Washington government was discovered to be secretly bailing out Luminous Corp as their share prices plummeted due to public opinion in the midst of their city falling apart. In which, CI broadcasted in the last medium available to the public. Over the radio.

Their coup de gras was activating those “paramilitary officers”, in which they made a call to arms. To rise up and overthrow the government. All thirty of these paramilitary officers gathered all those displaced by the crisis and gathered under a single banner. Naming themselves the “Soldiers of Dawn”.

En masse, They distributed an information package on how to run an insurgency cell/”defense militias”. From manuals on basic military tactics and formations, drilling soldiers and organizing them, creation of IEDs, insurgency tactics and much more. As well as, Dead Drops for weapons and ammunition and information where next Dead Drops would be for further supplies. All CI did was lit the spark on this city and watched it burn itself to the ground. And try as we did to suppress it, but every doomsayer and end of world preppers archived and aided in spreading it.

The police and the hastily put together a supposed “national guard”. Provided with some guidance by the Foundation after knowing CI had a hand in this madness. However, already exhausted by the rioting and rise of crime during the outage. A quasi-revolutionary platoon marching through the streets pushed them over the edge. As after they dismantled the current government and executed them by publicly beheading them. They exclusively hunted police officers and any counter groups that sided with the former government.

The Chaos Insurgency’s role after the fact was that of Arms Dealers. Who held the greatest influence over the “Soldiers of Dawn”. After all, they just stop sending them weapons, if they don't follow orders. If you think conflict zones on Earth are bad. Wait til you see a mage vacuum the blood out from within the veins out of your eye duct. Whilst it was all decentralized, CI were still the main source of weapons, hence held a higher control over all Insurgency Cells within the city.

And well.. Before the prior Second Washington Government was overthrown. People were relatively fine.. ish. While day-to-day functions grinded to a halt, people stayed at home to avoid all the chaos in the streets. But as the days went past.. Their supplies of food and water were running dry. They need to find a way to live. This city was a melting pot of a variety of cultures. And Sarkicite Conclaves preached the answer to the masses. Cannibalism was the solution to the population by these so-called preachers.

For the city itself, well you ever hear the saying “It’s easier to blow up the trains, than to make them run on time.” Well when the “Soldiers of Dawn'' took over the city and kicked out the old government. They had no clue on how to run a city. After the initial team of Chaos Insurgents left the city. The original “Soldiers of Dawn'' splintered into two groups. “Yellow Dawn” and “White Dawn”. And so, internal strife ensued, they couldn’t have two heads on the throne.

And the answer from the Yellow & White Dawn to the decline of Public Order and the rampant cannibalism. Shoot everyone. Shoot every single person involved. Whilst normally that would be the solution to restore order. If only they had any humanitarian aid to solve the water and food crisis after the shootings. At least with a hunger crisis, people would be exhausted to rebel. So if anything it amplified the issue further and there were a lot more corpses to feast upon. In essence, they helped feed the chaos both figuratively and literally.

And it didn’t help that there were Sarkic Preachers in both camps of the Yellow and White Dawn, so they blamed each other and shot at each other much as they did to the civilians.

Of course, this blindsided CI themselves. As they hoped at the end of all this to have an entire city under their thumb. You might be asking where the GOC during all of this as they fully expected them to march into the city to resolve this mess by now. Peacekeeping is mostly definitely within their forte. Well.. I'll save that twist for the end.

Once the project was brought to light. The O5 Council defaulted on their original plan. Framing the Ethics Committee as the head of this project. Inciting a greater internal conflict to capitalize on a moment they wanted for so very long. To get rid of the current roster of Ethics Committee members and install their puppets. Or for those who don’t believe the Ethics Committee lies “To finally dismantle the true monsters of the Foundation”

In the end, thousands more employees died fighting for what they believed was “right”. The Foundation couldn’t spare any manpower to resolve the mess they created in Second Washington. The Council were busy trying to not die and threw bodies to maintain their survival. And the remaining Foundation Agents? Well.. The Foundation is too busy killing each other to come save us.

And so all the Foundation Agents left behind had to band together to survive. The Chaos in the streets was growing to a fever pitch and we were dying from it alone. We’re still in this mess and most of us died from starvation alone, gave up, or.. worst of all; they chose to join in with the savages to survive.

Of course within the greater sphere under the Veil. All those that existed within the Anomalous Community, no longer saw us as the “Jailers”. But as monsters who tried to puppet their corner of the world. But all those saw much clearer. And didn’t blame wider Humanity but the Foundation itself for its genocidal project. As discourse related to Project Hidden Dawn began to spread wide and far. Many called for retribution against the Foundation within the infinite halls of the Wanderers Library.

And so, I called in one last favor of a CI Radio Operator. Asked him to connect me to the GOC… Once I got to talking with a GOC Colonel, the bastard refused to restore order. Because this was the fuel they needed to turn the 108 Council against the Foundation. In his words, they were on the fence of taking on the Foundation. And he wants the situation to become a catastrophe that couldn’t be solved by a simple peacekeeping mission, to be then swept under the rug.

I asked why, His answer: A proper crisis is what gets the 108 Council to move in the direction of progress. If he simply does “his job proper”. Everyone will forget this ever even happened in the first place.

In fact, they’ve set up blockades and border checkpoints around the only Ways that go into and out of the city. Under the guise of containing the city, whilst “eventually” making an effort to start peacekeeping operations.

But with the full intention to keep us locked up in here or to capture us if we try to make a break for it and to delay performing any peacekeeping tasks every second possible. I suspect he was lying to his command or they were in on it and letting bureaucracy take care of the rest. It also really makes you wonder how Chaos Insurgency are still able to smuggle weapons past the Ways Blockade fully established by the GOC.

His last words were thanking me.. Claiming his group will finally seize power within the 108 Council. This madman lost the plot completely. Though.. I feel.. If things had gone differently perhaps.. Humanity would’ve just arrived at the same conclusion anyways. Either we live lives defined by the anomalous, or we control the anomalous.

Although.. I do shudder thinking. If we had gotten away with Project “Hidden Dawn”. The new norm for those under the veil were to be silently exterminated by the Foundation, all whilst their lives continued as normal. Perhaps in another universe, we have.

His words stick out to me.. Pretentious bastard was in love with the sound of his own voice. Started to rant on the radio to me.

“How is this any different from the many death camps we field? It is sanctioned by the 108 Council and properly kept under wraps unlike your efforts. Although I will give your organization in making their first outing into the Veiled Community quite the most ambitious.”

“In the flames of war, our organization will be born anew. We will be rid of the naysayers and pacifists that rot our true mission”

“Humanity will no longer fear the unknown.. For we will lead the charge for survival. No longer it will be Fivefold Mission. But one singular mission. The First Mission, above all else. ”

“And then once we are united from within. We will march out to eliminate all those who have wronged us.”

Of course, we’re not doing this out of the kindness of our hearts. But calm down the situation and hopefully escape this clusterfuck. I suppose I'm too much of an “idealist” to believe that good nature simply exists. That bastard GOC colonel is probably laughing at me, alongside that CI radio prick at me for wasting a favour. Bastard was offering me to defect to the Coalition, since the Foundation cast me aside. But I know I’d be walking into GOC Cell to rot, if I were to accept his offer.

Although.. I shouldn’t be too quick to pass judgement. Maybe we’re alike, just victims of circumstance. Was a bit too quick to call him a prick..

And so.. I live another day.. And another.. And til.. I can't see the sun rise again.

“And so.. The flame of humanity burns ever more.. Consuming what it will to survive.”

Originally i wanted to write a continuation after “The Greater Veil”. But involving the anomalous community, The Foundation, CI and GOC in one story. As well as to raise a potential crisis/dilemma that actually engages all of these factions. As well as setting a stage for all these organizations as players in a “greater game”.

What is the answer to an ever expanding anomalous community? Genocide? Co-coexistence? What does “Containment” for such a problem even look like?

It also highlights the GOC, CI and Foundation in what I would describe how they would operate “realistically”. Foundation using their scientific and political prowess to influence the world subtly, almost trying to puppet the world from the shadows. GOC whom exercise significant military power but are held behind by politics and bureaucracy. CI behaving like an actual insurgency. Performing operations in a hit and run manner and not risking its members, also mirroring their parent organization the “Foundation” by trying to puppet the world from the shadows. (If you believe that CI originated from the Foundation)

Lastly, I write this story as a further example and possible inspiration for future writers. The SCP Universe operates on a writer's framework. Think about it.. The opening line of this story is the Administrator showing the life of a singular unknown Foundation Employee. This forms the basis in which the Administrator acts as a vehicle to showcase life about the Foundation and then a further discussion about nature of the Foundation. I could write many other stories from this simple premise alone. I would like to invite prospective writers to consider using these stories as an example on how to expand the universe. As writers inspire other writers.

I may write an alternative story, with a version of the Foundation that attempts co-existence with the Anomalous. Whilst trying to set boundaries and the challenges posed. As a flip-side, the Ethics Committee seizing power instead of the Council. But failing in a similar manner like the Council did in this story, also leading the Foundation into ruin.

I should also mention Second Washington isn’t expanded upon, as I wanted to convey the story rather than show an anomalous city. So readers can imagine for themselves what their “Second Washington” is. Perhaps a regular Metropolis similar to New York, or for the imaginative.. Maybe something akin to Savannas of Africa, similar to Far Cry 2.

Credits

Main writer: Avery Winters (Initial story idea, provided interpretations of the Foundation, GOC, CI and the Administrator.)

Supporting Writer: Jeremy Siens (Give critical feedback on narrative structure, provided a more fleshed out explanation of the Veil of Secrecy and made over 70 editorial comments for grammar and text structure)

Contributor: Houston Benton (Aided with feedback, Gave narrative inspiration in the form of CIA Paramilitary Operations Officers which forms the backbone of how CI operate within this story. Minor editorial credit.)

The Administrators office looks appealing in the bleakness of the end of the Veil

Mar 15, 2022
Revision 1.1 - 13/08/2024

Added sections which go into further depth about the Foundation’s methodology on meeting Project Hidden Dawn. And the further elaborated on the Sarkic community that formed after the collapse of Second Washington’s government.

To save people whom have read the story for searching a few added paragraphs. I've included the added paragraphs at the bottom.

...As well as the plot being leaked to an extremist faction of the Global Occult Coalition. Who plotted to hijack the project for their own goals, but at the time we weren’t aware of that.

The Foundation, acting as Luminous Laboratories. Proceeded with a host of measures and “experiments” to achieve the goals of Project Hidden Dawn. Keep in mind, this is only what i’ve known with my access level.

A mild form of contraceptive substance was introduced to the city’s water supply. Which held a whole host of side-effects. Such as Lowered Fertility and Gastrointestinal Problems.

Caloric content of food has been increased by a factor of 1.5x. Leading to a subtle 10% in obesity rates, in tandem, this raised profits for Luminous Laboratories weight loss programs. This is later passed onto future generations as obesity rates are projected to increase, shortening the average lifespan of the population.

All publicly available medications had a 15% failure rate. Leading to an increase in hospitalization due to medication failing to address acute symptoms. Such as pain relievers, mood stabilizers, antiseptics & antibiotics and stimulants. This coupled with incorrect dosages leading to a greater degradation on the population's livers.

All of this was able to occur. As the Foundation plotted to prevent the City from establishing an organization that's similar in nature to the US’s Food and Drug Administration. As in a public statement by a Luminous Laboratories stated that bureaucratic red tape would interfere with innovations.

Innovations such as artificial wombs and DNA editing. Whilst championed as Second Washington's greatest triumphs. Luminous Laboratories held the monopoly on Gene Clinics and said Artificial Wombs. The future generations of the city’s population had their DNA altered to include harmful health conditions. Such as various cancers, Immunodeficiency and weakened muscles and organs. Which would be passed onto future generations, if they chose to have children.

...And it didn’t help that there were Sarkic Preachers in both camps of the Yellow and White Dawn, so they blamed each other and shot at each other much as they did to the civilians.

A whole range of factors contributed to this. Primarily the artificial wombs as one of Luminous Corp’s innovations, as the City was faced with a population decline. Luminous Corp proposed a social program which aimed to grow the next generation. In the city-ran care homes. Reminiscent of Nicolae Ceaușescu policies in Romania. As the city moved to invest in child-care facilities, banned contraceptives and abortion.

The Foundation saw this running against the aims of Project Hidden Dawn. As main supplier of said conceptives and abortions. Their answer was to choose to use the fewest variants of DNA. In effort to create what was dubbed an “incest time-bomb“. As it was expected, the average Second Washington’s citizen was closely related in 1 out of 3 odds.

Sarkcism received greater reception as various churches and communities were seen as “for the people”. Reflecting Proto-Sarkcism traditions. As the city was essentially a open war-zone. These closed off-communities from the “supposed” government were seen as sanctuaries. However, the fractured military junta ran by the Yellow and White Dawn. Saw these communities as threats as these communities drifted out of their sphere of influence.

And so went out of their way to target these communities for assimilation. As the very top of Yellow and White Dawn leadership. Composed of self-proclaimed Generals and Colonels who espoused Neo-Sarkic beliefs, believing that they will ascend to apotheosis by consuming all those within Second Washington.

Last edited: