[UK] 'Eidolon' Director of Research Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
2112312.png

"Eidolon"

In Ancient Greek literature; an apparition or phantom. A look-alike spirit-image of a living or dead person.
In English; a false apparition, human or otherwise, that represents an idea or ideal - often assosciated with a deity or the vengeful dead.

Steam ID:Discord Name:Game Time:Age:Country:Time Zone:
STEAM_0:0:41148908yourmandank124821United KindomGMT
Chacter Name(s):Civilian NameServer:Do You Have a Mic?:
'Eidolon'Jeffrey ShekelsteinSCP-RP UKYes

List all whitelisted, MTF, or CI roles that you hold or have held:
MTF Nu-7 CPL [DB] / [HH] (Held)
Intelligence Agent (Held)
MTF Omega-1 CSG (Held)
UNGOC 1SGT (Held)
CI-DELTA [IRU CO] (Held)
General Security Captain (Held)
Chief of Security (Held)
Ethics Commitee Member (Held)
Ethics Committee Chairman (Held)

Internal Affairs Agent (Holding)
Executive Researcher (Holding)

Licenses: All Foundation Licenses

Have you received any kicks/bans/warning? and why?:
One metagaming from a time when I was new to the server - Used 'above head' info to identify someone while I was unaware it shouldn't be used.

Why are you applying for Director of Research?
I am applying for Director of Research primarily because I believe this position has tremendous potential to positively impact the state of RP across the entire site.

To elaborate; I believe that I will be able to work with Site Administration and the O5 Council to rework Department of Research policies such that the only piece of our policies that are stored OOC is the department roster. ALL documentation other than the roster will be transferred to in-game documents and stored in cabinets, scipnet directories and sticked to corkboards. I will also be requested white-board decals such as those seen in other places around the site and work with staff to populate them with useful information. This will mean that all policy reviews, staff interviews and junior staff learning/development, test approval, and general meetings will be conducted in-game through RP means, giving Executives and the DoRs an RP responsibility over maintaining their local burea. I will also be encouraging all other departments and regiments to adopt the same attitude towards absorbing all of their policies and documents stored in-game, with only their departmental or regimental rosters being managed externally. In order to support this I will be pushing for staff to make modifications to the Scipnet system so that the entire site's document hierachy is mirrored on Scipnet, with CL locked and password protected directories, as well as the current function of CL locking and password protecting individual documents.

I recommend the Scipnet directories to be organised like this:
6.png
If anyone has any recommendations for additional directories then kindly DM me and we can discuss it before I submit the edit request to staff.

This layout will provide us with a stable platform upon which we can fully manifest the site's bureacracy. It will no longer be the case that departmental handbooks are given to people in the form of a google document when they are onboarded with a new department - they will print of the handbook in character and store a copy in their own filing cabinets. I also plan to work with the Executive Team to draft a series of Sampling Procedure Templates for all of the SCPs in the Site's Manifest, these procedures will be a combination of lore wiki material and in-game mechanics in order to ensure that the sampling process is done in both a lore friendly and RP friendly way. It is my plan to implement these sampling procedures as generic templates that can be printed from Scipnet and signed-off by the relevant authority when a test is only being done to collect samples. Tests conducted with these templates will not be eligible for crediting for Executives or DoRs and will not be allowed to upload to Scipnet. All other forms of test documents will be graded and processed in the current format by Execs/DoRs/O5. In order to materialise this process in-game I will be working closely with Execs, DoRs, Site Admin, O5 and EC to ensure that they are kept up-to-date on the sampling procedures. I will also likely invent a serial number system to ensure that signatures cannot be used twice.

Along with this rollout I will be investing time and effort into having all chemical recipes publicly displayed inside chemistry laboratories in the forms of corkboard sticky posts and tasking the Executives and DoRs with keep recipes up-to-date as they are edited by the staff team. CL4 recipes will be kept in the Executives and DoR's offices and CL5 recipes will be the sole property of the O5 Council and Ethics Committee and issuing work orders for CL5 recipes will be done as and when Site Command would like to do so. I will also be incentivising staff to lock the ability to interact with chemistry equipment to research, medical, O5 and EC jobs. Players that are not one of the four aforementioned departments will receive a "you don't know how this equipment works" when attempting to interact with it. I will also be requesting for Executives to be able to purchase their own beakers in the same way that the Chemist can - in order to incentivise rank progression with the upgraded loadout.

What makes you suitable for Director of Research?:
I consider myself to be one of the people in the community that has a genuine interest in the SCP lore setting and I like to read wiki articles in the same way that we would read books. I make an effort to take my understanding of authentic SCP lore and invest it into the RP setting of our site. The best example of this is my work done as Chairman of the Ethics Committee to use The Ethics Committee Orientation and Tanhony's Proposal to redefine the Ethics Committee's RP setting in our site; to move it away from being a glorified HR department and lean into it's lore accurate setting as a ruthless, cynical covert branch of SCP Foundation Command that kidnaps, assassinates and prosecutes domestic enemies of the Foundation's mission statement: Secure. Contain. Protect. My attitude towards combining lore with gameplay means that the RP I create from the position of DoR will be more authentic and I will also be able to give encouragement and guidance to others on how to achieve this in their own efforts to create RP.

It is also the case that I can draw upon my lengthy experience pool to stimulate the creation and editing of site-wide policy; I will work with Site Administration and Site Command to define departmental duties and jurisdictions of the Department of Research should we choose to review the department's current RP footprint or if new content drop means that we need to expand jurisdictions and deconflict Research with other departmtents. Such as how in the past the DoRs have had to work with Site Administration and Site Command to decide which chemicals should be CL lock and at what leve.

I also have a significant amount of experience in playing UNGOC characters, which means when I invite them on site to conduct sampling, testing or termination testing of SCPs I will have a comprehensive understanding of their attitudes towards things such as violent anomalies, permanently imprisoned D-Class, unnecessary human deaths etc.

What are the responsibilities of the Director of Research in RP?:
The DoR has overall responsibility of pushing to increase the amount of research RP taking place on the site, promote research RP to a high standard and then to maintain this volume and quality. This is achieved primarily through ensuring that themselves and the executives are always readily availble to approve lower CL tests while also hosting their own high CL tests and inviting junior researchers to attend.

The DoR is responsible for settting the standards of research document gradings and impressing this standard upong the Executive teams to ensure that our documentation remains authentic to SCP lore. The DoR will encourage research staff to create research documents and approach Executives and the Directors for grading.

The Director is responsible for authorising the following tests:
Euclid-Euclid
Euclid-Keter
Keter-Keter
and ensuring that Executives are making themselves available to approve all other forms of cross testing.

The Director of Research is responsible for hosting public research lectures for the entire site to attend, which gives the department an opportunity to demonstrate exactly what the department's function is and to keep the site's general public up-to-date with events in the department. The DoR is also requried to encourage Executives to do the same thing on a routine basis.
The DoR is also responsible for ensuring that their own staff are operating within the practice guidelines as defined by the DoRs, Site Administration, the O5 Council and The Ethics Committee and to take reasonable action against their staff in the event of an infraction. This is done in recognition of the fact that practice guidelines, such as the standard testing narrative given to D-Class, promotes quality RP - so enforcing good practice means enforcing good RP.

The DoR is responsible for liaising with GMs and staff in order to accommodate their planned RP and organise the department's response to planned RP in the forms of investigation, study and evidencing. This is done to ensure that events do not fall flat and to maximise player interaction with unique pieces of RP.

The DoR is responsible for arranging routine department meetings with their own staff and inviting their delegate member of SA, the O5 and the EC to attend so that they can discuss the current state of the department and the planned agenda that is in place to keep it rolling forward. This is ideally done in an in-character meeting if it can be accommodated. During this meeting the DoR will also host a Q&A session to see if any other players, no matter how junior, have any ideas that can innovate new departmental practices and RP

A DoR is also responsible for assessing and interviewing candidates that have applied for Executive researcher. They can do this independently however it is good practice to meet with the current Executive team to discuss applicants before moving them forward to an interview.

Being CL4 personnel a DoR can also take the responsibility upon themselves to operate CL4 facility controls such as blast doors and electrical centres in order to assist Foundation personnel who are combatting or controlling SCP containment breaches and GOI raids.

It is also good practice for a DoR to have regular in-character meetings with members of the O5 Council in order to keep the council up-to-date on any testing that they may be interested in and to request commissions for any particular pieces of research that the Council would like to see performed.

Please give some lore about your Director of Research character and what storylines they would be involved in:

Input credentials to access CL4 Personnel Profile: 'Eidolon'
1.jpg2.png3.png4.png

Attachments

• 2112312.png
    2112312.png
    403.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 15

Deleted member 6811

+Major Support
At the current minute this is the only person that I would trust to hold this position. He is perfect for calming the shit storm that was the applications as of recent. This is exactly what research needs at the minute, someone with top level experience.

Previous CL5 experience and extensive knowledge of policy creation.

Very versed in roleplay and a ton of roleplay experience.

Application in of itself is also well made.

May 15, 2024
England
+support just give him it

i actually really like all of the document and scipnet ideas, though i do believe the research roster wouldn't be the only thing staying external, I would very much look forward to assisting in the transference of different external documents to an in game format as well as writing up sampling templates and chemical recipes if need be.

1 thing i will say is i dont think ive had much time to talk with you and get to know your character and ways, but your ideas in the short time you have been an executive have been brilliant and show great ambition for the department

just as long as you dont up and leave randomly and then want to come back again, gotta be reliable with that yknow?

-Support
You cant decide whether to stay or leave, thats my main concern.
You build yourself up as CI-D and Exec, leave for a few days then come back and ask for your Exec position back.

I say you spend a week or two making some productive roleplay. SA/O5 can oversee ScD for the time being

Outside of that, your application is excellent, you take RP seriously and are usually quite fun to chat with.

Mar 20, 2022
- Support

-
Leaving, then rejoining the server for the dozenth time
- Big ego
- Don't let this dude cook

View attachment 16817View attachment 16816

What does a suggestion have to do with an application?

You seemingly have an ulterior motive here and the way you've done this is very unbecoming of a staff member. Biscuits had the right response and was constructive. You just fumbled.

the way you've done this is very unbecoming of a staff member.
FkSggLOXgAQBK5d.jpg

What does a suggestion have to do with an application?
really important, actually. shows that some of his ideas are, this one especially, awful. for a director of research this is important to note.

You seemingly have an ulterior motive here
this is an uncalled for & baseless accusation, by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: James K.
-Support
You are, as far as I am aware at least, detached from the drama plaguing the department right now; that is a very good thing, and you do have good skills. I know for a fact your RP related to passive related matters and research is present, because Biscuits has recounted to me how much you, him and other members of IRU were working on Foundation orders to disrupt us. I was chasing you all a LOT in RP, it was fun.
HOWEVER - You quite literally just returned to Executive less than 24 hours ago. 1720101945672.png

One of the main critiques of an application like Broda's recent -1 shot for example, was the fact he had appeared out of nowhere and that he had left the role previously, thus people were not confident that he would be willing to stay for long and provide the position the tenure that was required of it. I have the exact same concern here; the work you do is definitely good, but I do not want to take that gamble when DoR needs proven stability right now to get the Executive team under control like it direly needs.

I do not think the department is going to implode if someone is not in the Director position for 2-3 weeks while you amass more modern experience and prove you're not going to leave the server again, at which point should you reapply, I'm certain you'd get the role. Work with Ludenberg in private if needs be to get the ball rolling, it's very clear he supports you.

Onto the application itself;

Interesting lore, I have fond memories of CoTBG in general from Werewolf, I want to see how someone new will interpret and explore them on this server.
Duties of a DoR are elaborated on quite well, shows understanding and competence.

The reasons you've stated you're applying for DoR do not seem to make much sense? You don't need to be the DoR to do any of this in my opinion, and some of it sounds more related to site-wide changes that would fit SA/SC better.
Suitability section feels underwhelming for your experience pool and time on-site, as well as the fact that I am forever skeptical of your attitude to the GOC as a group given past events.

I think you give it like...2-3 weeks, stick around, cook on Executive and go again. I see no reason you wouldn't get the job at that point, but for now, I just don't think the job should go to you at this moment.

Best of luck regardless.

'Blue'

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Donator
Group Moderator
Jul 25, 2022
Kuwait
+Support

The positives:
+ You are an extremely professional person, and I have personally had good interactions with you.
+ You know lore pretty much better than anyone in the server and you enjoy it.
+ You have amazing role-play and take it seriously.
+ You have some good past experience.
+ A well made effort application with a lot of details.

The negatives:
- You unfortunately keep leaving and joining as shown by the above. I am concerned that if you get this you might also leave again withn a few weeks.

With the positives from above that I mentioned, I believe that you will bring research role-play at its prime, as I personally think research RP has just died as of recently, people just go on research for sampling and not doing documents or tests etc... I strongly believe that Eidolon could fix that with his RP experience.

I would like to wish you the best of luck!

- Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.