[UK] The lag is affecting everyones RP

Asura

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Apr 1, 2023
Your in-game name?: Shiva/Asura/Sandman

Your SteamID?: STEAM_0:0:104122592

Which server are you making a complaint for?: SCP-RP (UK)

Recently, the lag has become unbearable, affecting lot of people RP experience. On two occasions, we had to delay good RP to the next day—once with E11 and once with an SA and IA. This has been discouraging, and I've seen multiple O1 leave the server due to the lag. We can't interact with others without constant interruptions or the server crashing for a few minutes. This issue is affecting everyone and personally discourages me from interacting with others, as I know I can't have a conversation without having to ask them to repeat themselves. It has also discouraged me and O1 from participating in events due to the unbearable lag.

Last night, for instance, CI raided F3, starting an interesting RP. However, due to the lag, we couldn't engage properly, and it reached a point where people flagged off. SSL Requis had to intervene because no one could interact with CI without being cut off by the server dying or experiencing intense lag, where communications would only show up after five minutes. This issue hasn't only been affecting me but also O1 as a whole, discouraging them from doing their RP and helping when requested to combat C5 and C1.

The reliability of the server host isn't there anymore, and it's affecting the server. Server health should be a top priority, and it's obvious the current server host can't provide it at this moment. By the time the server is fully fixed, you will have lost many genuinely good players.

I can wholeheartedly say this has not only been affecting the player base but the GM team as well. They can't host large events or storylines without being told they are lagging the server and need to stop. They can't be creative with their events because they know the dupe they are creating will likely cause lag. As a result, they have to lower the quality of their events to accommodate the current server specs without causing lag. This is unfair to the player base and the event team, who do their work out of genuine love for the server. They are essentially volunteers, but they still want to create events that would be enjoyable for everyone.

I am leaving it in here because this is supposed to be a general discussion among everyone to get everyone's feedback on it, rather than it just being a complaint from me.

Last edited:
I would like to echo this complaint - I started playing again within the last couple of days and every evening I have witnessed the entire playerbase on the UK try and muscle through about 200+ ping with the server fully crashing about 8 times per evening during peak hours. I regonise the fact that the blame for the most recent issues of severe latency and serverwide disconnects are being laid at the feet of the server host, however; even before these recent problems the constant push for map development (which has created a lot of unused, empty space) has accumulated to a point where even without shaky hosting the server on the UK side is plagued with ridiculously high average ping and equally ridiculous FPS.

It is now a common expectation on the UK site to have to ask someone to repeat themselves 2-3 times when they say something in-game in order for them to be understood and to have to do planned RP meetings on the Teamspeak server. There is next to no skill expression in PvP as winners are being decided by who has the lowest latency or the machine that gives the most FPS. Worst still - this was the case back before November last year when I originally stopped playing and NL were promising server upgrades even back then, which have not been delivered on.

Reactions: Zen and Mishashi

Yeke

Community Supervisor
Community Sup.
Group Moderator
Mar 20, 2022
Hello all.

We understand the concerns that players have specifically regarding lag on the UK server, however there are two parts for this which play into factor.

One being a hardware issue, unfortunately the UK is running on "worse" hardware than the US services, and we are making attempts to upgrade our UK machine, sadly the host is unable to complete this upgrade for their UK services at this time, a lot of current issues would be resolved with a newer CPU, however we are limited to our options.

The other issue being the host, we are luckily to be with the best host that the majority of GMOD servers use for hosting and have the best customer service, support and utilities to hand, coupled with decent connection, however as of recently there has been a rework of the hosts infrastructure to become more self reliant rather than utilising third party companies such as Path, however this does come with teething issues, such as what you have been experiencing for the past few days which was unfortunately malicious actors targeting the hosts network, taking advantage of their current changes, however rest assured that our host is taking swift action and the more times they have to fix these issues, the better patches are released and mitigating methods are produced.

We understand players want us to "change hosts" however there is simply no host that can provide the hardware, customer service / support and utilities that we take advantage of, services like OVH are outpaced by our current host, however if what had happened the past couple of days, had happened on OVH services for example, we would be looking at downtime due to the fact their stability isn't what it use to be.

NL were promising server upgrades even back then, which have not been delivered on.

To reply to this point, unfortunately we are not in control of the upgrade from the host, and sadly the host we had previously also fell short on promises too, we sadly are at the mercy of hosting companies.

I do understand to all players this isn't good enough and we do agree, however sadly we are in a situation where I like to say "paddling up shit creek with a paddle made of toilet paper", we are at the mercy of our current host, rest assured we are all paying attention to these issues and constantly reporting them to the host to help them improve things, furthermore a change of host outside of the risk of the host being worse, we have to spend time planning a move, redirecting anything pointing to specific IPs and URLs etc.

I hope this clears up the air of mystery surrounding it, however there is no easy choice at the moment and we are utilising the best host on the market.

Feb 22, 2024
Hello all.

We understand the concerns that players have specifically regarding lag on the UK server, however there are two parts for this which play into factor.

One being a hardware issue, unfortunately the UK is running on "worse" hardware than the US services, and we are making attempts to upgrade our UK machine, sadly the host is unable to complete this upgrade for their UK services at this time, a lot of current issues would be resolved with a newer CPU, however we are limited to our options.

The other issue being the host, we are luckily to be with the best host that the majority of GMOD servers use for hosting and have the best customer service, support and utilities to hand, coupled with decent connection, however as of recently there has been a rework of the hosts infrastructure to become more self reliant rather than utilising third party companies such as Path, however this does come with teething issues, such as what you have been experiencing for the past few days which was unfortunately malicious actors targeting the hosts network, taking advantage of their current changes, however rest assured that our host is taking swift action and the more times they have to fix these issues, the better patches are released and mitigating methods are produced.

We understand players want us to "change hosts" however there is simply no host that can provide the hardware, customer service / support and utilities that we take advantage of, services like OVH are outpaced by our current host, however if what had happened the past couple of days, had happened on OVH services for example, we would be looking at downtime due to the fact their stability isn't what it use to be.

To reply to this point, unfortunately we are not in control of the upgrade from the host, and sadly the host we had previously also fell short on promises too, we sadly are at the mercy of hosting companies.

I do understand to all players this isn't good enough and we do agree, however sadly we are in a situation where I like to say "paddling up shit creek with a paddle made of toilet paper", we are at the mercy of our current host, rest assured we are all paying attention to these issues and constantly reporting them to the host to help them improve things, furthermore a change of host outside of the risk of the host being worse, we have to spend time planning a move, redirecting anything pointing to specific IPs and URLs etc.

I hope this clears up the air of mystery surrounding it, however there is no easy choice at the moment and we are utilising the best host on the market.
Has civil networks ever considered to host some servers itself? Or is it way too costly and difficult, just curious.

What are you expecting this complaint to do,

As much as there's no real solution as of right now (as Yeke pointed out) that wouldn't involve something crazy like reducing the max players in the server or removing some content, it's a good thing that the community keeps bringing it up.

NL Cannot listen to every user individually, as CN is massive, but letting them know that the lag is currently one of the major issues most people face (and pinpointing exactly to why, other than the obvious reasons like 'it's laggy' and 'rubberbanding makes combat hard'), may result in certain short term solutions being found to paliate some of the awful problems that we're facing right now. Not only that, but lag has been a thing for a while now, it's just never been this bad. I'd assume that any well constructed criticism and feedback from the community will allow them to know to what degree we can bear with this awful performance conditions before radical measures need to be taken.

Jan 6, 2023
Expecting transparency from staff regarding the issues.
Venting our frustrations on Discord, where most messages go unread due to the amount of messages per hour sent in there and the unlikiness of them being read, is not exactly the best place to leave our thoughts.

Here's the chance for them to be read and actually calm down some of the frustrations that have been growing for the past couple weeks.

Has civil networks ever considered to host some servers itself? Or is it way too costly and difficult, just curious.
This is unfeasible, the fact that there would have to be a team of people to perform maintenance, renting the space in a data center and a lot more overhead that the host deals with it's a lot of work that may even be out of the skillset of the team.

Dec 3, 2023
I was going to input on this earlier but I thought I wouldn't be contributing other than repeating other points. However, the lag is happening like this on a daily basis and constantly getting to the point where it's becoming unbearable and effecting server health. It's a Saturday night where around 5 months ago it would be getting full pop, however due to the lag its getting around 80 - 90 players. This is showing that it is genuinely impacting the server negatively, there have been multiple complaints i've heard in teamspeak of Game Masters or Site Command not being able to do what they are capable of due to the lag.

Here is a example of where server lag has effected some mini but valuable RP:

Yes I know there isn't anything you can due because of this provider having problems, but there must be another way either another provider (yes it can have a lot of complications but it's better than waiting for the host to provide a better service) I seriously think that it needs to be revised a lot more because the majority of longer term players are loosing motivation because everything gets interrupted because of lag.

I appreciate what you are doing to try to improve the lag but bigger measures may need to be taken to help the server maintain its reputation and player basis. Thanks - Corbin

Jul 26, 2022
NY?
real even though i feel on us i have less lag and more fps drop yes its a pc skill issue but i will sit at 20 fps put a command in and hit like 60 for a hour or so but 20 fps naturally and my computer isnt a laptop and some people play and instantly never play again because of it i even know some people that took a break from this server just to play another server to feel more "immersed"

Here is an old clip of mine that pretty obviously shows the ping difference between then and now, i need to add that my wifi was real bad back then so i had higher ping because of that. But now i run at 200 ish

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024
Here is an old clip of mine that pretty obviously shows the ping difference between then and now, i need to add that my wifi was real bad back then so i had higher ping because of that. But now i run at 200 ish
Was this at full or close to full pop? This looks extremely smooth, I'd love to experience that

Zen

Trial Moderator
Trial Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Sep 16, 2023
Hello all.

Physgun is publicly claiming that the new attack issues were resolved two/three weeks ago. If they consider this resolved, the current service level right now can be expected to be the norm going forwards, or at least whenever an attack is attempted, which can be any time. It sounds like either Physgun is publicly lying to customers and review sites, or there's some misunderstanding between them and CN.
1000000833.png

• Haha
Reactions: Cary “Raven”