[USA] Marvin Garden's Petition to the Ethics Committee

Jul 1, 2023
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:95461162
Discord name: Breadicism
For how long have you played on CG SCP: Joined May 29th, 2023. Nearly 1,300 hours of in-game time on the server. I got the 1 year badge yesterday!
In what country are you located?: United States
Time zone: PST
Character name(s): Marvin Garden
Civilian name: St. Charles Baltic
What server are you applying for? (SCP-RP UK or SCP-RP USA): SCP-RP USA
Do you have a mic?: Yes I do.
-
List all whitelisted, MTF, or CI roles that you hold or have held:
Site Manager (Holding)
Site Advisor (Held)
Director of Medicine (Held)
Consultant (Held)
E-11 PVT (Held)
IA Agent (Holding)
SCP-096 (Holding)
SCP-22514 (Holding)
-
Have you received any kicks/bans/warning? and why?:
One expired warn for FailRP(A) when I first joined the server, and I have had none since.
-
What Ethics Committee role are you applying for, and why:
I am applying for the role of Ethics Committee Member. I have spent the last few months settling into Site Administration solidifying my knowledge of what it means to be an RP lead. I believe now is the time for me to take on a greater role within the server structure, and this position will give me the opportunity to do so.
-
What makes you the best candidate for the Ethics Committee?:
During my tenure within Site-65, I would say I have spent more than 85% of my time on non-combative, RP heavy roles. Starting in the Department of Medicine as a Sr. Doctor and Consultant, I had to consider what was best for each patient, ensuring the department had the highest quality of care. Then, in my time as Director of Medicine, I was ensuring my doctors were staying within ethical standards, and supplying patient care in a timely and efficient manner. This also gave me more experience with managing leadership personnel, as I had to keep track of my consultants and ensure the department was running smoothly.
Finally, we come to my track record in Site Administration. I will admit that the change from Department Leadership to Site Admin was quite a jarring change at first. My duties expanded much more broadly, and instead of managing a close knit group of personnel, I was auditing and observing my assigned departments, as well as the entire Site. Having to deal with all sorts of issues, from approving research documentation, dealing with punishments for personnel that strayed out of line, and creating an atmosphere amenable to RP. At the same time, I also learned the managerial side of SA, the day to day problem solving and interaction with people of all clearance levels. I am willing to admit I am not the most hands-on member of Site Administration, since I believe in the agency of each department to act alone, with Site Admin stepping in where needed. However, I do believe that I am one of the most trusted members of Site-65’s leadership due to the ability I have showcased. I know the Code of Ethics, Code of Conduct, and Legal Codex well due to having to rule on decisions surrounding their enforcement on a daily basis. I know how to be unbiased due to my experience in Site Admin.

This is the experience I bring to the Ethics Committee, and it is also why I am the best candidate.
-
What are the responsibilities of the Ethics Committee in RP?:
The Committee has many responsibilities. They are the ones who give oversight of Foundation activities, ensuring that actions taken are in the best interests of the greater good. They are the ones who make sure that we have Ethics in our practices, ensuring that the Foundation follows moral principles. This can be seen in the committee's management of D-class usage, investigation of department policies and staff, as well as the overall wellbeing of Foundation assets.

In no particular order:
  • Deciding on needed changes to the Code of Ethics.
  • Giving orders to and organizing Committee Assistants and Omega-1.
  • Guiding on-site activities and arranging RP and events to involve personnel.
  • Authorizing procedures, projects, and requests that require Site Command.
  • Creating opportunities for others to immerse themselves.
  • Ensuring ethical procedure is followed by all.
  • Cracking down on corruption and bias.
  • Observing departments/regiments and providing advice, feedback, and oversight to their leaders.
  • Serving as judge, or even as jury, for tribunal if necessitated.
  • Communicating effectively with site personnel at every level.
  • Interacting with external Groups of Interest, assisting with those relations.
  • Emergency Response, such as Advanced Armory, D-Block authorizations, and if absolutely necessary, detonation of the on-site warhead.
  • Clarifying policies and tenets of the Code of Ethics.
  • Effective handling of complaints, punishments, and demotions.
  • Finally, ensuring that the greater good is prioritized.
-
What are the responsibilities of the Ethics Committee out of RP (e.g. what applications do they handle?):
The Committee handles three different types of applications.
  1. The Director of Internal Affairs
  2. Ethics Committee Assistants
  3. Ethics Committee Members
I would also add that they are quite often seen as resources for individuals to ask questions about the server, as well as contact regarding out of character situations.
The Committee also handles reports of departmental mismanagement, general questions, and responsibility for upholding server health.
-
Please give some lore about your Ethics Committee character and what storylines they would be involved in:

Personnel Files - SCIPNet

Name: Marvin Garden
DoB: October 21st, 1978 (45 years old)
Previous Occupations: Site Advisor, Director of Medicine, Consultant, Sr. Doctor
Assignment: Site-65 - Pinewood - Saskatchewan - Canada

Patron: █████ ██ ██████, Former ██████ █████████ ██████

<:> BEGIN AUDIO TRANSCRIPT <:>
------------------------------------
"...Hello? Is this thing on...? Right. Hello again. My name is Site Manager Marvin Garden, currently serving as the Site-65 Site Manager during the current administration. The folks over at RAISA asked me to remake my introductory video to my life and qualifications for the folks who need to know. I could have sworn I had done this before, but I suppose it was outdated. And while my journey has been a long one, I will do my best to be quic-"

*A pager device ping can be heard*

*Sigh...*
"Give me a moment, someone's just released information about the █████ ███████ in D-Block again... I swear these techies..."

<:> AUDIO TRANSCRIPT PAUSED <:>

<!> Commencing Mass Amnestication - Dispensing Class-A <!>
|--|---------|
|------|-----|
|---------|--|

Amnestication Complete - Closing Ventilation Systems

To: site65-gsd@scipNET.info
Sent: 8:47 AM, June 15, 2024
Subject: Ethical Concerns

Hello GENSEC,

I would like to issue a reminder that you must issue a verbal warning to a D-class before termination.
From what I have seen recently, I believe this to be an issue. Site Administration will be keeping a watchful eye for the next few weeks.

As always, if you hear something that sounds like it would be classified, call a member of IA or Site Admin to confirm.

- Site Manager Marvin Garden

<:> AUDIO TRANSCRIPT RESUMED <:>

*Papers shuffling and filing cabinets opening and closing, a tiny voice on a telephone*

"Alright, calm down, hold on a minute I'll be right there. Just need to finish some paperwork."

*Click*

"Sorry about that. Let's start from the beginning."

"I grew up in rural Nebraska, a small town by the name of Chance. Nothing interesting ever happened there, and I grew up quite peacefully with my sister Marvina, my mother Maureen, and my stoic father, Melvin. The Garden family was your average suburban family."

"However, when I was 14, I took my Middle School biology class with an inspiring teacher, Ms. Young. She showed the intricacies of biology, as far as a middle school level goes, which essentially cemented my path in the field. When I turned 18, I applied to a small liberal arts college, earned my Bachelors in the Biological Sciences, and moved on to a path that would let me also make money, Medical School. At the age of 26, earned my medical doctorate, quite an achievement after many years of work. Naturally I did a lot of boring doctor stuff, blah blah blah, anyway, I got a lot of experience at a hospital, etc..."

"Following my fellowship, I moved into a small practice near Lake Michigan, helping various peoples with their injuries. And suffice to say, my life would have likely continued down that path. But of course, life never runs smoothly. No, not with anomalies running free."

"It all changed one morning. I woke up, went about my usual routine, which was nearly mind numbing by that point, and headed in to work. However, that morning had a surprise for me. A rather strange patient walked in. Or rather, “shattered” in. In all my years of study, I had never seen anything remotely similar. A man whose entire skeleton was completely fused together. The real shock was when he started to move, breaking nearly every joint in his body just to put a foot forward...

*10 Seconds of Silence*

"Everything from this point is rather vague. I seem to remember a sort of SWAT team, I assume some kind of Mobile Task Force, sweeping in to cover the area."

"The man, still before me, asked me to kill him. I cannot imagine the pain he must have been in, but I knew no way to help him, especially when my practice was being surrounded by armed forces. From there, my memories end. Next thing I know, I've woken in an interrogation room, with a man in front of me. We conversed for a while, he was surprisingly knowledgeable about the sciences, even more than myself. Hours went by, and still we talked. He must have seen something in me, since I was offered a job at the SCP Foundation.

"Naturally, considering my line of work, I was placed in the Department of Medicine, and with my experience I was positioned immediately as a Senior Doctor. The rest is history. I cured countless personnel with my own concocted cures, diagnosing D-class who suddenly develop Lung Cancer, and providing psychological evaluation to the tired and weary personnel of Site-65. Eventually, my efforts were recognized by the department, and I was promoted to the leadership role of Medical Consultant. Naturally, I continued to do my very best. After many licenses, and many hours of labor, and many many first aid kits, an opportunity made itself available to me. So I took the chance and submitted my letter of intent for Director of Medicine. And I really had a great time in that position. However, I wanted more. Eventually, I submitted my petition for Site Administration, which was successful!"

"And now, here I am today. Managing one of the largest Sites across the Foundation. I would be lying if I said it was easy, after all we do lie about so much here at the Foundation. But I wish to join a higher cause. To stop corruption in its tracks, which is all too common in human society.

"I lost my hands to those green bastards, though I found a way to get them back..."

"I personally treated ██-█ before his... breakdown..."

"I have managed many, many breaches, raids, and issues. Even SCP-008 of all things..."

"And have faced interdimensional threats beyond belief"

"Honestly, people really do underestimate the amount of redactable shit Site Admin ends up involved in..."

"However, I think it might be time for another change. I am getting tired of the same old tune."

"I need to learn the words of a new song."

"Skyfire... I greatly enjoyed my time in Site Administration. However, If this petition is successful, you will need to find a new Manager to replace me.
The turnover of Site Administration shall continue still."

"Right then, let's go see about getting that D-Class a work permit, shall we?"

*A door creaks open, and quietly shuts.*
----------------------------------
<:> END AUDIO TRANSCRIPT <:>

Level 5 Clearance ID Accepted
Information Level Updated - Opening Section GOI-5917

GOI-5917
--------------------
Monitoring of Site Manager Marvin Garden indicates a connection with GOI-5917.
How contact was established is unknown.
What their contact consisted of is unknown.
However, recent medical record surveillance indicates that Marvin has repaired their lost limbs from a previous incursion with GOI-CI.

Marvin Meeting V2(3).jpg

End Personnel File

May 30, 2023
Marvin has consistently been satisfactory in Site Administration. Whether it is his communication skills, his ability to be a leader or his ability to RP he has done well. Marvin has grown as an RP leader in his current tenure in Site Administration and I believe he is ready. I'm sure he can do just as good in Site Command.

Orca

Nov 15, 2023
biggest +support
best choice
Great manager, one of the friendliest people, great with roleplay situations and fun to have around