Partially Accepted Various Cartographer and Dimension Changes

Content that has been partially accepted
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

Jun 4, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove
Increase the slots of Foundation Cartographer from 1 to 2 or 3.
Allow Scranton Reality Anchors to force close rifts.
Allow the rifts to add stability to the Helpers Dimension so people wouldn't have to say in OOC "22415 enter your Dimension" whenever they need to stay in it.

Make it so the Shadow Dimension will damage players upon force-ejection.
Disable/Prevent Weapons that are dropped inside the dimensions from showing up outside.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?
As the content is very new, I don't think there are any suggestions active currently about this topic.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2)
- Allow more people who have paid for the Cartographer Job to play it
- Add some counter-play to the strategy of opening rifts in places like D-Block
- Prevent the need for SCP-22415 instances to be hounded in OOC so the realm doesn't collapse instantly.

- Make the Shadow Dimension more in line with the Helpers Dimension and for balance sake.
- Brought more in line to what would realistically happen when you would drop weapons in the dimension (it wouldn't appear outside)

Possible Negatives of the suggestion
- Too many Cartographers could lead to more minging with continuous rifts being spawned.
- Rift would be able to be closed by minges that are trying to prevent people from researching in the dimension

- Would be too overpowered allowing too many "visitors" in the dimension at once, potentially causing more lag.
- Would make it less powerful and less worth spending the $30,000 for a rift bridge.
- Prevent CI from doing different types of raids by dropping weapons into D-Block
- Some of these changes require development time.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted
I wanted the job slots to be increased because in my eyes if you're paying 1K VP to play a non-combative CL3 job, at least make it so it's 2 or 3 slots so more people can access it regularly and experience the new content more easily. I don't think minging would be a big issue provided the ScD on both servers can properly police misconduct (which at least on the US I trust them to do so).
It'd make sense for the rifts to be closed via scrantons and it would provide some counter-play to the strategy of summoning numerous rifts in areas of the site. It would also allow ScD to better stop minges from summoning rifts in bad places.

When I had access to SCP-22415, there were constant messages in OOC asking for me to stay in my dimension so that it wouldn't collapse. While I did oblige, it did interrupt any prolonged conversations with people.
In my eyes, the Shadow Dimension is already very powerful and I think there should be a trade off of using it other than the cost. The collapse damage is small but not nothing and it provides some balance to not being careful and allowing the realm to collapse. You can also always force exit using a scranton.
This may be very challenging to code as entities would need to sync across different realms it might be easier to prevent dropping items via inventory while in any realm or just make it a ruling. It doesn't really make sense to me that you're able to drop items in completely different dimensions and still have it effect baseline reality.

Niox

Jan 23, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove
Increase the slots of Foundation Cartographer from 1 to 2 or 3.
+Support this, foundation is a bigger faction than CI/GOC so I don’t see why they shouldn’t get at least 2

Allow Scranton Reality Anchors to force close rifts.
maybe, depends on how content team want it balanced but this is fine

Allow the rifts to add stability to the Helpers Dimension so people wouldn't have to say in OOC "22415 enter your Dimension" whenever they need to stay in it.
idk how this would work so imma skip it

Make it so the Shadow Dimension will damage players upon force-ejection.
it costs 5k more than a freedom, and it’s 6x the price of a normal bridge to the dimension. -Support this change, it’s fine as is.

Disable/Prevent Weapons that are dropped inside the dimensions from showing up outside.
this just sounds like bug abuse

Dr Random K.

Game Master
Game Master
Oct 8, 2023
Site 54
this just sounds like bug abuse
No it's just that entities are visible from all Dimensions

(I personally like this, as it allows for using GM Objectives to build prop barriers that you cant just go through by hopping dimensions)

Mighty Beast

Aug 6, 2023

(I personally like this, as it allows for using GM Objectives to build prop barriers that you cant just go through by hopping dimensions)
Fun fact when someone drops food
Or you get a food drop on surface
You can eat it from the dimension
Funny ngl
Idk if it works the same with flasks though

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023

...GM Objectives are not entities. They are props with special scripting, which is something I have confirmed with the dev who made them.

Unless you mean the old GM Objectives, which are likely going to be phased out in favour of the new ones anyway.

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
...GM Objectives are not entities. They are props with special scripting, which is something I have confirmed with the dev who made them.

Unless you mean the old GM Objectives, which are likely going to be phased out in favour of the new ones anyway.
I don't know anything about GM Objectives, but my understanding is that unless a prop is a prop_static that is part of the map itself, all props are entities.

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
I don't know anything about GM Objectives, but my understanding is that unless a prop is a prop_static that is part of the map itself, all props are entities.
yeah, i've had a lengthy conversation with a couple of the devs about them, it's very cool stuff even behind the scenes, the short of it is that they're literally just props that don't do anything until you interact with them.

but ventz will tell you there is a huge difference between a prop and an entity - take for example, the decals update where we moved from blue's decals to our own decal system, which meant we had like 500 less entities because decals are no longer entities

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
yeah, i've had a lengthy conversation with a couple of the devs about them, it's very cool stuff even behind the scenes, the short of it is that they're literally just props that don't do anything until you interact with them.

but ventz will tell you there is a huge difference between a prop and an entity - take for example, the decals update where we moved from blue's decals to our own decal system, which meant we had like 500 less entities because decals are no longer entities
A physical prop is an entity unless it's baked into the map as a prop_static. VDecals is different, because decals are their own thing and gmod supports fucking with those directly - I imagine Blue's Decals just did it differently (badly) via entities instead, which makes sense because if you walked up to one and interacted it, it'd let you do things with them if you were staff.

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
A physical prop is an entity unless it's baked into the map as a prop_static. VDecals is different, because decals are their own thing and gmod supports fucking with those directly - I imagine Blue's Decals just did it differently (badly) via entities instead, which makes sense because if you walked up to one and interacted it, it'd let you do things with them if you were staff.
ah. maybe i am dumb then ?

Arron 'Spectre' Shepard

Administrator
Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
May 8, 2022
Suggestion Partially Approved

Hi @Shark ,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.
The Content Team has chosen to partially accept your suggestion for the following reasons.

1. Pending - This will require consultation with the Executive team which will be passed along.

2. Accepted.

3. Denied - We are looking at balance changes for the dimension and may have an alternative in discussion phase that would alleviate this issue.

4. Denied - We like the overarching idea of having some consequence to entering/leaving certain dimensions however we believe that flat damage is not conductive to our goals currently.

5. Accepted.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as partially accepted.​

Reactions: Shark
Status
Not open for further replies.