Denied VIP SCP Taster Feature

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Nye The Guy

May 28, 2022
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Adding a system which gives random players taster sessions to play on one random paywalled SCP. TL;DR at the bottom.
I'm assuming NL would need to accept/deny this considering it'd be a pretty big change to allow non-VIPs onto a VIP job?

Taster session system rules:
  • You cannot have a taster session if you have had one in the last 20 hours of non-AFK gameplay time.
  • You must be at least SCP level 15 to be eligible for Taster Sessions
  • Only SCPs locked behind a paywall can get taster sessions (You can't get a taster session for SCP 106, SCP 096, or any other free SCP)
  • Nobody must be on the VIP SCP you are getting a taster session for.
  • You have no choice of the VIP SCP you get a taster session for.
  • SCP 073 is not included (just want to make this 100% clear).
  • Once picked for a taster session a pop-up identical to being picked for SCP 323 or 8854 will appear for 3 minutes. In this time you can choose to go onto that SCP (e.g. 7722). Nobody can switch to the SCP in question until the player makes a decision.
  • A Non-VIP can choose to decline a taster session, which does not start their 20 hour timer.
  • After being recontained or killed in the "Breach Active" state, they are automatically kicked off of the job.
  • The system is only active above 60 players.
  • There can only be 2 people with an active Taster Session at any given time.

Here are some examples of what I mean:
Euclid VIP with Type-Green package can be given taster sessions for SCP 7722 or SCP 682, but NOT Type-Green or SCP 076.
XK Vip with no extra packages can be given taster sessions for Type-Green or the Spaceman one (forgot the number lol)

Chances of being picked:
Once every 2 hours, one Non-AFK player who does NOT own an SCP package or does NOT own a VIP tier will be picked.
From here depending on your SCP level and total level your chances of being given a Taster slot are:

Base: 0.1 (10% chance to get a taster session at lowest level)
SCP Level: +0.005 (+0.5% chance per level above SCP level 15, capped at +10% or SCP level 35)
Total Level: +0.001 (+0.1% chance per level, capped at +20% or Total Level 200)

Example of chances to be picked:

A Player with SCP level 31, and Total level 155 would have:
0.1 (base) + 0.08 (SCP level) + 0.155 (Total level) = 0.335 or 33.5% chance of getting a taster session.

A staff member at SCP level 42, Total level 312 would have:
0.1 (base) + 0.1 (SCP level) + 0.2 (Total level) = 0.4 or 40% chance of getting a taster session. This is the highest chance any player has of getting a taster session.

Note: These chances might seem high, but consider these people are going to be picked out of about 100 players. Let's do some quick maths:
Let's make some assumptions to find out how often this will really happen:
Given prime time (where most players are on the server) lasts for 6 hours. We'll have 3 rolls for taster sessions, once every 2 hours.
Let's assume the best case scenario, where everybody has a 40% chance of getting a taster session if picked out of 128 people:
X~B(3,0.4) so we have 3 trials, and a probability of success of 40%.
P(X=1) = The probability of ONE person on the server with an active taster session during our 6 hours of prime-time is going to be 43.2%
P(X=2) = The probability of TWO people on the server with an active taster session during our 6 hours of prime-time is going to be 28.8%
In short there's a 70% chance that one or more taster sessions will be active during prime-time on any given day if EVERYBODY on the server had the max chances to get a taster session. This is to say you will very rarely not be able to play on an SCP because somebody else is using it on a taster session.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
Yes, another player suggested applications for VIP SCPs which I don't think would ever be accepted. I think this is a good compromise.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
Gives Non-VIPs a chance to try out VIP SCPs
Will definitely make players consider buying VIP or an SCP Package after trying out one of the SCPs
Will make Free users happier with their experience on the server
Gives players considering VIP a chance to see what they're buying
Revenue increase as a result
I've already written up all the probabilities, now you just need to implement it :)

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
Dev Time (i'm no coder so I have no idea how easy or hard rolling a dice once an hour would be)
Will (very rarely) clog up slots for VIP players who want to play on their SCP.
You might want to tweak the probabilities or include something else in this

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
I think this will not only increase server revenue but also the fun players will have on the server. It's a win-win!

TL;DR FOR THOSE WHO WON'T READ ALL THAT:
  • Very rarely this system lets players try out a paywalled SCP (e.g. Type Green or SCP 079) for free.
  • You can't choose which SCP you get a taster session for; don't worry, people can't hog specific SCP slots
  • The main purpose of this is to give players a chance to see what VIP tiers offer
  • Being very generous there's only about an 70% chance that, during primetime, anybody will actually be on a paywalled SCP for free; that's to say it's rare enough that VIP SCP job slots should never be clogged up with players who don't own them
  • We only let 2 people try paywalled SCPs at a time as an absolute maximum to prevent clogging up slots
  • Your chances of getting a taster session increase with SCP levels and Total levels

Last edited:

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
+Support
Not sure about the selection system for this, but I like the base idea. Might encourage people to buy ones they don't have, and it gives more things for people to do in general.

• Wow
Reactions: Bill Nye The Guy

Emilia Foddg

Trial Game Master
Trial Game Master
Donator
Jul 15, 2023
i don't understand the suggestion and it's too long for me to read, so i had chatgpt summarise it for me
not sure how you reconcile the fact that it doesn't make sense to try and consume an SCP, nor are they related to the hunger system in any way, but i like the idea,
+Support
i'm obviously fucking with you, i love this idea. it's probably really difficult to implement, so this will basically be up to NL whether they think the projected profits from VIP purchases as a result of this system is worth trying to get it done, but i agree that this makes general sense as a business decision.

• Love

Alex/John Dingle

Donator
Sep 7, 2022
+Support
Only real downside is ofcourse the devtime and the people get to play free vip scp's. But in my oppinion this could encourage more people to buy vip as they can already experiment with it. (This suggestion got me thinking of a idea for a subscription that allows people to buy access to all VIP scps for like 2 weeks once after that no more.)

Rushi

Community Supervisor
Community Sup.
Content Team
Group Moderator
May 23, 2022
Suggestion Denied

Hi @Bill Nye The Guy,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.