Jan 18, 2022
1337.lgbt
In-game name?
Cody Torvalds

Steam ID?
STEAM_0:0:162344446

Age?
16 (Turning 17 in August)

For how long have you played on our servers?
Since January. Started out on MilitaryRP as RMP but later switched to SCP-RP because I got bored of it.

What country are you from?
Sweden

Time Zone?
Central European Time (CET)

Do you have a mic?
Yes

Is this your first application for Developer?
Yes

Have you received any bans?
No, I don't have any warnings on record either as far as I know.

How confident are you with GLua? (Rate yourself 1-10 using rating guide)
6-8ish, not really sure since it's been a few months since I last made a full-on addon. I am a pretty fast learner though and I'm confident I could pick up whatever codebase you're using relatively quickly.

Do you have any experience with Git?
Yes

Do you have previous experience as a Developer for GMod?
I've been coding GLua on and off for about 2 years and made a multitude of addons for myself (most of which I sadly don't have anymore). I've also worked as a programmer on a Half-Life 2 Beta RP server for about 4 months until it shut down due to a lack of funding.

How many hours can you commit to developing per week?
About 4h-12h per day and anywhere between 2 to 7 days per week depending on how I'm feeling.

Why do you want to be a Developer?
Shino recommended me to apply and I have too much free time on my hands currently, I'd love to help improve the server to the best of my abilities. I apologize if my application is bad since I'm not really good at writing applications.

What can you help us with?
Fixing bugs, implementing new features, (possibly) improving performance. I've given 2 examples below, feel free to analyze and rate them accordingly.

Some samples
Simple 096 SCRAMBLE drain bug fix:
(Fix for the SCRAMBLE headset Cognitohazard Resistance draining while looking at a bucketed 096)
Current:
code_language.lua:
if cognitohazard then
    if (SCRAMBLE) and (SCRAMBLE.IsProtected(v)) then
        SCRAMBLE.RemoveDurability(v)
        protected = true
    end
end
Fixed:
code_language.lua:
if cognitohazard then
    if (SCRAMBLE) and (SCRAMBLE.IsProtected(v)) and not self:GetProperty("bucket") then
        SCRAMBLE.RemoveDurability(v)
        protected = true
    end
end

Possible Handcuff weapon/keycard bug fix (idea):
(Fix handcuffs reverting weapon metadata causing one-time weapons to be droppable and keycards to change ownership)
Instead of stripping the player of all weapons, force them to use a blank SWEP and restrict them from switching weapons (much like how the Elastic Cuffs currently work).

Extra notes
Please do keep in mind that I'm Autistic and have ADHD so I do get burnt out pretty easily if I'm overworked and I'm not very good at working under stress either.

If you have any further questions please contact me on Discord (yukiqt#0047) as I'm more active there and will likely respond sooner.

Last edited:

AdamTHM

Feb 16, 2022
Ireland
Hey @AITEx64, I would recommend proving screenshots/video clips of your past work. Whilst the sample code you provided looks convincing but it would definitely increase your chances of getting accepted. You also haven't listed what you're good/great in (vgui, entities, SWEPs, etc)
I like your problem solving skills and it's clear you have experience in GLUA and I wish you luck :).

yuki

Civil Gamers Expert
Jan 18, 2022
1337.lgbt
Hey @AITEx64, I would recommend proving screenshots/video clips of your past work. Whilst the sample code you provided looks convincing but it would definitely increase your chances of getting accepted. You also haven't listed what you're good/great in (vgui, entities, SWEPs, etc)
I like your problem solving skills and it's clear you have experience in GLUA and I wish you luck :).
I've already shown it to Ventz personally but here's a concept for a new hacking minigame I whipped up a few days ago
https://medal.tv/games/garrys-mod/clips/tDOJbKHBHeX_O/d13377g2xvRD?invite=cr-MSxCejksNzk5NjQ4NjAs

Attachments

• minigame.zip
    19.7 KB · Views: 23

Deleted member 12

Application Denied

Hi @AITEx64,

Thanks for taking the time to make a programmer application. My apologies that it has taken the team so long to give a verdict on your application, we will work to ensure this does not happen again. Unfortunately, I'll be denying your application today due to the lack of examples of your work you have given us. In order to justify a 6-8 rating, we require examples of fully self-made decently fleshed-out addons, with in-game working examples. Whilst your minigame example looks promising, we require more than this, such as in-game examples of addons created by you that would require only minor tweaking and config in order to go live on our servers. If you have any more questions about this feel free to reach out to me in discord or at ts3.civilgamers.com.

On a side note, we'll be giving more details surrounding the role of developers within the community at our community meeting this evening in the network discord, I would recommend you attend if you're still interested in applying for a developer position :)

https://discord.gg/civilgamers

Due to the unacceptable length of time it took us to respond to your application, you may re-apply in 2 weeks.
Thanks,
Cope​

Status
Not open for further replies.