Accepted A whole load of Easy Improvements

This suggestion has been accepted for future development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans

CG Platinum VIP
Donator
Dec 20, 2020
Heinz
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:

DON'T ADD MORE CONTENT FIX BUGS AND DO OPTIMZATION. The server has enough cool addons to last for a few months. It does however need major optimizations as the lag is insane. I know that darkrp with lots of players lags but reducing it should be the main focus for darkrp devs. My frames go from 100+ in the morning to 30 or less in the evening.

Few Quality of life changes

1) Change the mercenary job model. Its a unless VIP job because the playermodel is wider than a bus. I would go so far as to say its a scam to include it as a VIP job in its current state.

2) Fix the purchasing of the crafting material creates.

3) Give mechanical officer a gun on spawn. Its basically the only pd job that only spawns with a pistol and its ruby vip... Ik it has more heath ect but swat jug has the same and gets a minigun :confused:

5) Remove this flashlight sweap its trash doesn't light up my screen. Please explain what RP it add.. wasted content in my opinion. Go back to the default flashlight.

6) Fix the dying several times on spawn when the server is lagging. Maybe add more spawn points or smt i dunno maybe this is just lag but it is very annoying to die 4 times when just trying to spawn.

7) Add combat tazing back into the rules. I don't know why it isn't a rule. It feels kinda bs if your having a shoot out you paid money and tokens to have high hp and armor to give you a good chance and PD can one shot you with a tazer.

8) Staff the mayor job properly. Jaywalking is a stupid law that basically allows for rda. Lockdowns are put in place every 20 minutes. The amount of laws that mayor put in place to increase the amount of arrest able reasons without adding RP is daft. I get people want to do there arrest contract but its not that hard to find rp reasons to arrest people.

(Added) 9) When you do anything to a printer it spams notifications on the right side of your screen. Please fix this too.

(Added) 10)
  • 5.2 - Gang Bases - Gangs may own up to one building unless they have more than 8 active players on at which point they can then own 2 and can no longer base on Main Street. You may not use Bouncy Balls to go above 150HP if you are basing.
This rules should be changed to 155 hp as that is the max hp you could have on spawn with all perks. 100 default + 20 from skills + 35 from token perks. Total 155hp

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):

Quality of life. Prevents minging. Makes VIP more worth while. Fixes some bugs

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:

None

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:

Because they would improve the player experience with little effort and no real detriment.

Last edited:
Reactions: CamZin

Valkon

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Donator
Dec 25, 2020
I agree with everything except for combat tazing. I was part of the jaywalking issue earlier and it was incredibly toxic. I'm fine for it if people are given warning to get off the roads in the case of high traffic, but not instantly tazing/arresting anyone on the street (some who weren't even jaywalking in the first place).

49Mr Black

Civil Gamers Expert
1 - +Support if you have an idea for the model that should replace it.
2 - +Support If its broken it needs fixing.
3 - +Support Its a weird job already. No gun on spawn is weirder.
4 - Missing o_O
5 - Big +Support Current flashlight is just awful in every single possible sense. Default is SO much better.
6 - +Support But this does just seem like one of those lag related server glitches. I dont think much can be done about it.
7 - -Support I do not know why this keeps getting brought up. Already had a suggestion denied for this. Everything that needed to be said has been said.
8 - -Neutral The Mayor job is a sort of enigma without any government based addons to enhance it. Their sole job is provide RP scenarios for people with the laws they create, aside from obvious rule-breaking or obviously toxic laws I don't really see why it needs to be more heavily moderated. The jaywalking incident sounds like it was ultra toxic though.
9 - +Support Fix the broken thing again. Submit this as a bug report maybe?

Last edited:

Cloak

Civil Gamers Expert
Jan 14, 2021
A lot of your suggestions are missing a huge amount of context. For instance, we are using the flashlight SWEP not out of choice, but because the default flashlight fucks up on our map and causes severe lighting errors. We don't know what currently causes that, so we're using the flashlight SWEP instead, as it's the lesser of two evils. As soon as we can figure out why we have these lighting issues, we'll go back to the old flashlight, but trust me, you wouldn't want the old flashlight right now.

Of course we plan to optimise and fix bugs. A lot of the bugs you mentioned are well known and have been reported many times. We also have a public development tracker where most (not all) bugs are listed. We don't have any new content coming any time soon, either (although if our volunteer developers choose to add something, I'm not going to tell them off for it).

Beans

CG Platinum VIP
Donator
Dec 20, 2020
Heinz
A lot of your suggestions are missing a huge amount of context. For instance, we are using the flashlight SWEP not out of choice, but because the default flashlight fucks up on our map and causes severe lighting errors. We don't know what currently causes that, so we're using the flashlight SWEP instead, as it's the lesser of two evils. As soon as we can figure out why we have these lighting issues, we'll go back to the old flashlight, but trust me, you wouldn't want the old flashlight right now.

Of course we plan to optimise and fix bugs. A lot of the bugs you mentioned are well known and have been reported many times. We also have a public development tracker where most (not all) bugs are listed. We don't have any new content coming any time soon, either (although if our volunteer developers choose to add something, I'm not going to tell them off for it).
Yh fair I'm not informed on all the ins and out so its understandable that the flashlight sweap is currently used tho i might look for a better one on the workshop to replace it with for the time being.

My point about optimization and bug fixes is that you really need to try to push your devs to be working on that and highly discourage new content. Glad to hear that you have no new content planned for a while just wanted to make sure dev resources weren't being wasted.

Equally if your aware of lots of these thing I have mentioned many of them are quick and easy fixes such as changing a job model, adding a gun to a job or rewriting rules why not just get as many of them in for tomorrow. Twice now I have had staff respond to my useful suggestions that 80% objectively just improve player experience saying "run your posts through a grammar checker" or "A lot of the bugs you mentioned are well known and have been reported many times." why not instead of critizing my post for poor grammar or the fact telling you things you know say "Hey beans we are aware of these but thanks anyway. We can see if maybe we can get as many of these changes done ASAP to improve the player experience!!!" After all I'm just trying to help....

Reactions: Frisch and sahns

Cloak

Civil Gamers Expert
Jan 14, 2021
such as changing a job model, adding a gun to a job or rewriting rules
None of this is development related, this can all be done by SAs in-game or on the forums. Honestly new content being added shouldn't affect this kind of stuff being done, DarkRP has vjobeditor now which it did not in the past, there's only one or two jobs which can't be edited in vjobeditor like Skullbreaker.

My point about optimization and bug fixes is that you really need to try to push your devs to be working on that
There's multiple parts to optimisation, myself and Ventz have been actively seeking out a server upgrade and it's looking promising like we'll get one in October that I would guess will add 15-20% in performance. Beyond that, we've already checked to see what we can optimize, we don't have much honestly. It doesn't help that we have a lot of compute-heavy content. We are waiting on a memory profiler that we should gain beta access to in the next week or so which will help reduce crashes but the main performance improvement will come when we can get a server upgrade.

On our current server SCP-RP and MRP seem to perform better than our old server, but with DarkRP it seems to be the other way around as it's not getting the full benefit of our multithreaded optimisations. The next release of beta tools from our host should provide additional optimisations so we'll see how things go as time passes. I'm just making the point that people assume we're sitting on our asses, but that's not really how things work, it's not as simple as saying "just optimise it".

Beans

CG Platinum VIP
Donator
Dec 20, 2020
Heinz
That's fine if none of this is dev related then none of it is dev related. I would greatly appreciate if these changes (the ones which you like) could be implemented as I believe they would help to improve the server.

I'm not trying to say your sitting on your asses but I just want to suggest my input on what the server needs. If you already have the same mindset as me that great. Very glad to hear you'll be working to switch host to improve performance.

Coolioo

top bloke
Donator
Dec 24, 2020
bossman lane
Suggestion Accepted

Hi @Beans

Thanks for taking the time to make a suggestion.

This suggestion has several parts, so I'll respond to them individually.
1) Change the mercenary job model. Its a unless VIP job because the playermodel is wider than a bus. I would go so far as to say its a scam to include it as a VIP job in its current state.

If you provide me with a sufficient model I'm happy enough to change it. Issues like this, that are from DarkRP before it closed, are issues that I'm looking to stomp out.
2) Fix the purchasing of the crafting material creates.

I can add this to the list of bugs on GitHub
3) Give mechanical officer a gun on spawn. Its basically the only pd job that only spawns with a pistol and its ruby vip... Ik it has more heath ect but swat jug has the same and gets a minigun :confused:

I'm happy enough to give it a gun, but this will be the MPX which the regular officers spawn with, due to the other buffs it receives. This was something I had planned on adding.
5) Remove this flashlight sweap its trash doesn't light up my screen. Please explain what RP it add.. wasted content in my opinion. Go back to the default flashlight.

This was added due to a lighting bug that was caused by the other flashlight.
6) Fix the dying several times on spawn when the server is lagging. Maybe add more spawn points or smt i dunno maybe this is just lag but it is very annoying to die 4 times when just trying to spawn.

Ventz has fixed this issue.
7) Add combat tazing back into the rules. I don't know why it isn't a rule. It feels kinda bs if your having a shoot out you paid money and tokens to have high hp and armor to give you a good chance and PD can one shot you with a tazer.

This was in another suggestion that was denied, linked in the replies of this thread.
8) Staff the mayor job properly. Jaywalking is a stupid law that basically allows for rda. Lockdowns are put in place every 20 minutes. The amount of laws that mayor put in place to increase the amount of arrest able reasons without adding RP is daft. I get people want to do there arrest contract but its not that hard to find rp reasons to arrest people.

I have brought this up to the staff in the staff meeting. Jaywalking is a law that is not allowed. The RP surrounding the Mayor can be very influential on the server, so if you see anything like this you can call a staff member in-game.
(Added) 9) When you do anything to a printer it spams notifications on the right side of your screen. Please fix this too

I have already noted this down due to another suggestion made.
(Added) 10)
  • 5.2 - Gang Bases - Gangs may own up to one building unless they have more than 8 active players on at which point they can then own 2 and can no longer base on Main Street. You may not use Bouncy Balls to go above 150HP if you are basing.
This rules should be changed to 155 hp as that is the max hp you could have on spawn with all perks. 100 default + 20 from skills + 35 from token perks. Total 155hp​

This was an oversight that I'm happy enough to amend.

Regarding changes like these. For a lot of these I, as a SA, can implement them quite easily, and this doesn't hinder development elsewhere - meaning that devs can create new content, without sacrificing time into QOL changes as you've suggested.

If you have any questions regarding anything I've said then DM me.

This will now be locked, moved, and marked as accepted.​

Status
Not open for further replies.