Denied Changing the Level Requirements to Make a GOC Character.

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
This suggestion would change the current code-baked level requirements to make a GOC character from:
- Total Level: 80 and Combat Level: 25 to;
- Total Level: 70 and Combat Level: 15.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
Not that I saw scrolling through a few pages of search results (GOC is apparently too short, sob.)

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
- Would allow good RPers into another regiment that has always been geared to RP without having to go through the utter slog that is leveling.
- Allows more variety in regiment choice for players.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
- Would force the US and UK to conform.
- Some would argue this drops the quality of players that can join the faction. This is where most of my yap starts, so forgive me.

The original entry level requirements were decided by Yeke, Cloak, and both US and UK CO's at the time of the regiment's implementation. This, if I'm getting my history right, was back when the player cap was 25 and it still required applications on the forum. The original intent, as far as I'm aware, was for the GOC to be a smaller, more specialized regiment with a much stronger loadout and job roles. It would make sense why the level reqs were set so high (kind of, but I'll get into that later.)

At this point, the philosophy of the GOC has completely changed. The player cap was recently changed to 65 (after having slowly risen since the Coalition's inception on the server). We're a larger force because so many people have expressed interest in joining the faction, allowing more avenues for RP and character development and more variety for a player that might not find anything that interests them in Foundation or CI.

It's my belief that with that philosophy change, we should take a look back at the levels and ask why it's set so high in comparison to other regiments and CI. At this point, it's a holdover from when the GOC was smaller and is holding back good roleplayers from joining a regiment that interests them.

I'm also going to go into why I think level requirements are somewhat of a terrible way to deduce quality.

Levels ARE somewhat of a way to filter out the minges, obviously. A guy logging onto GMod to spew some slurs is not going to sit through the slog of leveling to join a faction just to minge on that faction. However, there's a certain break point where we have to realize the minges have been filtered out. CI's was set at 40. Our's was set at 80, to make the faction feel more unique and elite.

*But*, let's all be honest, at a certain point levels are just fluff. The implementation of levels on this server shows nothing but a dedication to spending time getting credited on GenSec, or sitting in breach queue for eight hours. There's no actual quality attached to levels (the only quality I'd argue is shown is high enough research levels, as good documents net a huge amount of XP), simply time spent on the server.

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
At the end of the day, I just want to reward good roleplay. With the current level requirements, I believe we're gatekeeping good RP and player choice for no other reason than it was set in the past and never changed for the future. At a certain point, levels show nothing but time spent on the server and is not an indication of quality roleplay, and it's only harming player choice to have our cap as high as it is.

The intention behind the UNGOC on the server has always been to maintain a small, elite group equipped with powerful weaponry. The purpose of the level system—which was initially much higher than the current one and has been adjusted multiple times due to requests from the UK—is to ensure that UNGOC members are mature individuals with well-developed roleplay skills and substantial time invested on the server.

If you are implementing changes that will make it easier for the UNGOC to become a larger faction, such as increasing the member cap to 65, the team should also have to consider downgrading the equipment to maintain balance. As the current weakness of the UNGOC is partially its limited manpower, overcoming this weakness will necessitate adjustments to other aspects to preserve overall balance.

If the goal is to attract more "quality" role-players, modifying the tryout process would be an effective starting point. Previously, UNGOC membership required application approval, followed by a three-phase tryout and several one-on-one interviews. To ensure quality, it’s essential to thoroughly evaluate potential recruits before they join, rather than admitting them and deciding on their suitability afterward. Implementing a rigorous selection process will help identify and recruit individuals who are well-suited to the role from the outset.

Fairly sure the UNGOC Requirements have been changed 2-3 times already, not needed
Is there any reasoning for saying it's not needed other than it having been changed already?
If the goal is to attract more "quality" role-players, modifying the tryout process would be an effective starting point. Previously, UNGOC membership required application approval, followed by a three-phase tryout and several one-on-one interviews. To ensure quality, it’s essential to thoroughly evaluate potential recruits before they join, rather than admitting them and deciding on their suitability afterward. Implementing a rigorous selection process will help identify and recruit individuals who are well-suited to the role from the outset.
And it's my belief that the current requirements don't actually show any measure of quality, only a willingness to be credited while playing Foundation. It only gatekeeps potentials that I want in the regiment behind a needless level barrier (I can't even waive levels for good roleplayers, even though they're trusted individuals with active whitelists.)

(Also the cap has already been set to 65.)

+Support
-UNGOC needing combat level 25, yet fighting the least out of any combative group:

-Has it always been like this, even after the regiment went from WL to Tryouts? If so then that’s a bit silly, especially with its current player cap of more than double the old one.

If you are implementing changes that will make it easier for the UNGOC to become a larger faction, such as increasing the member cap to 65, the team should also have to consider downgrading the equipment to maintain balance. As the current weakness of the UNGOC is partially its limited manpower, overcoming this weakness will necessitate adjustments to other aspects to preserve overall balance.
this is like a 10 level difference, it’s not that much of a change.
And also, the issue of ‘it will be much easier for UNGOC to become a larger faction with this’ is bogus. It’ll stay the same, it’ll just be much less grindy to join it

Decreasing level requirement would destroy UK server GOC because for some reason our CO team doesn't outright remove minges, it would lead to more of these type being able to join and that is something that would make me resign
-Support
That just sounds like a problem with the CO team and doesn't actually have a bearing on the suggestion.

this is like a 10 level difference, it’s not that much of a change.
And also, the issue of ‘it will be much easier for UNGOC to become a larger faction with this’ is bogus. It’ll stay the same, it’ll just be much less grindy to join it
It seems you missed the point, so let me clarify. The UNGOC is meant to be grindy and for players who invest a significant amount of time on the server. It's not about combat or building a large army. If the current direction is leaning towards that, the server should consider downgrading equipment or implementing other changes for better balance.

If we simply need level change, it should be either.

80 total level 20 research
80 total level 20 support
80 total level 25 combat

To fit in for the needs of the separated divisions.
This was used before on UNGOC, but they changed it because they want people to be easy to get in, but then you have problems of not getting good enough people when you start loosening the screw.

Last edited:
It seems you missed the point, so let me clarify. The UNGOC is meant to be grindy and for players who invest a significant amount of time on the server. It's not about combat or building a large army. If the current direction is leaning towards that, the server should consider downgrading equipment or implementing other changes for better balance.

If we simply need level change, it should be either.

80 total level 20 research
80 total level 20 support
80 total level 25 combat

To fit in for the needs of the separated divisions.
This was used before on UNGOC, but they changed it because they want people to be easy to get in, but then you have problems of not getting good enough people when you start loosening the screw.
Except this whole argument is moot when you realize gatekeeping RP behind getting credited is... a terrible idea.

I fail to see any reason why we should be doing that. Levels aren't an indication of quality in any form.

We already get people that "aren't good enough" that meet the level requirement and it's just harming people that *want* to be in the regiment behind an arbitrary basis of quality.

[Course this could all be fixed if we could just waive levels as REGCOM but I've been told it's impossible : (.]

where is the fun in grinding
RSD is just…. Repetitive sampling with the odd unique test
Medical the same (CM is a bit more fun)
and GSD is just ‘Let me sit at D Block and KOS all D Class that enter airlock for EXP, surely this will develop my RP skills and translate to effectiveness in a regiment!’ Or watching tests.

As for MTF’s, well you barely get any credit from them from experience

Reactions: The Guardian
where is the fun in grinding
RSD is just…. Repetitive sampling with the odd unique test
Medical the same (CM is a bit more fun)
and GSD is just ‘Let me sit at D Block and KOS all D Class that enter airlock for EXP, surely this will develop my RP skills and translate to effectiveness in a regiment!’ Or watching tests.

As for MTF’s, well you barely get any credit from them from experience
This ultimately comes down to the server's moral aspects and player quality. In the past, as mentioned, we didn't have many minges. Why has their presence increased nowadays?

We often ask ourselves and constantly remind ourselves: Have we been setting a good example?

I wonder if we still seek out individuals who truly make a difference:

• A great journalist who was willing to work for the greater good.
  • A ranger dedicated to giving their all for role-play.
  • A B1 that is tired of indifference.
  • A diplomat had no chance in the foundation to show his/her skills.
  • A researcher in the joint research program is committed to teaching others what it takes to be better people.

These are and should be your core when seeking members, and not waiting for them to come to you; you have to take the initiative and go to them OOC, DMs, casual meetings, and constant communicating and not just stay in the base waiting for a breach or simple sample or combat.
Are we still searching for these gems when recruiting? Do we ignore ranks and treat them as our family? Or are we just bringing in people eager to try out different guns and tactical tabs, sweet talk themselves, and do chores to reach higher positions?

Being a role model matters, not just for the reputation of our faction but for everyone, regardless of rank. The increase in minges is directly related to the vibe and atmosphere our faction projects to others.

I firmly believe that the application tryout phase was the best method of recruitment. It was unfortunately removed due to concerns about it being too much of a hassle to write. Ultimately, what we're dealing with is a server issue, a player base issue, and a moral issue regarding self-respect.

It’s crucial that we address these issues to maintain a positive and respectful environment and elitenize internally before we even complain and seek more that we probably don't even have enough strength to chew on.

This ultimately comes down to the server's moral aspects and player quality. In the past, as mentioned, we didn't have many minges. Why has their presence increased nowadays?

We often ask ourselves and constantly remind ourselves: Have we been setting a good example?

I wonder if we still seek out individuals who truly make a difference:

• A great journalist who was willing to work for the greater good.
  • A ranger dedicated to giving their all for role-play.
  • A B1 that is tired of indifference.
  • A diplomat had no chance in the foundation to show his/her skills.
  • A researcher in the joint research program is committed to teaching others what it takes to be better people.

These are and should be your core when seeking members, and not waiting for them to come to you; you have to take the initiative and go to them OOC, DMs, casual meetings, and constant communicating and not just stay in the base waiting for a breach or simple sample or combat.
Are we still searching for these gems when recruiting? Do we ignore ranks and treat them as our family? Or are we just bringing in people eager to try out different guns and tactical tabs, sweet talk themselves, and do chores to reach higher positions?

Being a role model matters, not just for the reputation of our faction but for everyone, regardless of rank. The increase in minges is directly related to the vibe and atmosphere our faction projects to others.

I firmly believe that the application tryout phase was the best method of recruitment. It was unfortunately removed due to concerns about it being too much of a hassle to write. Ultimately, what we're dealing with is a server issue, a player base issue, and a moral issue regarding self-respect.

It’s crucial that we address these issues to maintain a positive and respectful environment and elitenize internally before we even complain and seek more that we probably don't even have enough strength to chew on.
And the problem comes down to the fact I can't recruit any of those people, unless they waste time grinding for 0 reason.

I feel like it’s just going loop here and some of the stuff I mentioned are either not read or just simply focused on side quest stuff. So I will just leave a more simple last comment.

"If someone truly wants something, they will do whatever it takes, going the extra mile to achieve it instead of complaining that the goal is useless or a waste of time.”

Dedication and patience are increasingly rare qualities, but it's important to see the bigger picture rather than focusing narrowly on individual preferences.
Best of luck with this suggestion. If it addresses the short-term desire for value among players, then it might be the best approach for the current situation.
(And under my assumption that maybe you really think it through.)
You are being productive. And that’s better then a lot already.

Dopamine

May 13, 2024
+Support
I never really understood the reasoning for the regiment with the least combative activities to be the highest combat requirement to join.

I feel like it’s just going loop here and some of the stuff I mentioned are either not read or just simply focused on side quest stuff. So I will just leave a more simple last comment.

"If someone truly wants something, they will do whatever it takes, going the extra mile to achieve it instead of complaining that the goal is useless or a waste of time.”

Dedication and patience are increasingly rare qualities, but it's important to see the bigger picture rather than focusing narrowly on individual preferences.
Best of luck with this suggestion. If it addresses the short-term desire for value among players, then it might be the best approach for the current situation.
(And under my assumption that maybe you really think it through.)
You are being productive. And that’s better then a lot already.

professional yapper

Reactions: Billy Boy
Status
Not open for further replies.