Accepted Classify using SCP-914 to farm weapons as FRP

This suggestion has been accepted for future development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheese Cooper

Sep 5, 2022
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
I've only ever played the US server, so this might not be as true for the UK side of things, but here we go:
As the title implies, classify the usage of 914 to farm weapons as FailRP.

As it stands, the rampant abuse of SCP-914 to farm for extremely powerful weapons is creating a divide between normal players and the ones occupying server leadership roles. Every time you see an 05, SA, or EC announce that there's a "private 914 test" occurring, you know damn well they are shoving as much morphine as they can into that thing to get energy weapons for themselves and their respective posse, and it fosters an "us VS them" mentality with players. Normal players who would do such a thing would be subject to arrest by IA, but since these people are so high up on the totem pole (in addition to an entire MTF team that'd protect them from any arrests), they are effectively immune from the consequences of breaking the rules; further driving a wedge between them and the player base at large. Rules for me, but not for thee, is not a healthy way to run a community.

This sort of feeling of immunity extends into other interactions with the player base. Why RP out a scenario with someone, when you can just kill them instead? Is someone being an inconvenience? Why bother with solitary, just send them to the respawn menu! Doesn't matter how many people witness it, they'll just shake their heads and walk away. After all, you're immune, so why even bother speaking up?

This sort of blatant rule-breaking doesn't follow conventional lore either; why would the people in charge of running the foundation flaunt the rules so much? Would doing so not only inspire others to do the same? Should they not set an example for others? I'm sure that a little rule-bending is to be expected, but it seems to almost be a ritual now with many people. Log on, get your A-1/O-1 guards, and hit up 914 to get energy weapons, augurs, and what have you. It's not right.

In addition to this unhealthy divide between our players and the lore concerns, there exists a practical gameplay reason for this as well: Metagaming. Why would you feel the need to gear up your team with such powerful weapons, if there is no threat? By arming their respective guards/teammates with these high-powered weapons, they are prepping themselves to have an advantage against enemies that have yet to materialize yet. Sure, this makes them more effective guards, but it cheapens any combat encounters with them since anyone you fight will be at a massive disadvantage, especially with the recent SL ruling that AA weapons gained with 914 can be used on humans. Yes, that's right, AA weapons gained from 914 can be used on humans. Whatever resemblance of combat balance gets thrown out the window when your entire pose is equipped with the most dangerous weapons obtainable, for the low cost of a few morphine syringes. And it'll be that way every day, all day, unless something changes.

Now, if this does get passed (and I don't think it will since SL has been making some pretty questionable rule decisions recently), it'll be a big step in ensuring that players are held accountable to the same rules that everyone has to follow and would be a great step in mending the divide in our community. Healing that resentment people feel when they see higher-ups break the rules and get away with it. Rules for me, AND rules for thee.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

P.S. While we're here, can we remove the whole "AA weapons from 914 can be used on humans" thing? Why the hell would that be an exception, it's just encouraging this sort of behavior. It's also pretty damn confusing for players not in the know since this isn't written down and instead is being spread word-of-mouth style as seen in the photo below.
vCRPVxC.png
hgb6iiH.png
Hs0woyb.png
zGlB0RJ.png
Rv1DtvP.png
oKITKEG.png

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  1. Everyone follows the same rules. There is no more blatant rule-breaking and getting away with it just because you have the number 5 in front of your clearance level instead of a 3.
  2. Combat with the respective groups that currently engage in this sort of behavior will have their balance restored. You'll know what to expect, and they'll know what to expect. And if you want to bring energy weapons into the equation, you better be prepared to lose that investment, as intended.
  3. Having server leaders setting a good example for prospective community members is important. Imagine being told that using the Augur on humans is FailRP, but you see a member of A-1 using it to kill a D-Class. You report it, but since he got it from 914, it's fair. You don't have that opportunity to use SCP-914 (IA would be on your ass so fucking fast), so you feel a bit cheated. By ensuring that SL members follow the rules, or at least make a decent showing at doing so, you can foster a more equal community, one where people will not be afraid to speak up when they see abuses happen just because the abuser is a member of server leadership. No more "It is what it is".

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  1. I could see people making the argument that this change would be setting a bad precedent for handling IC issues with OOC rules since this is effectively just one big IC issue (legal codex breach). However, I also believe that due to the effective immunity of the players doing these acts, it'll take a server ruling to make them stop. Also, this hasn't stopped staff from making rules on IC issues before so ?‍♂️
  2. D-Class using 914 to get weapons would have to bring in their own stolen guns to upgrade as opposed to tossing in items from their inventory (I want to say I saw a D-Class drop morphine from their inventory, but I honestly never tried it and I don't think anyone else has either. Might be a non-issue.)
  3. CI would need an exception to this rule due to their unique role, as SCP-914 is a powerful tool for them to use and shouldn't be limited to them just for the actions of the foundation staff members abusing it. This could be mitigated by having a set of conditions that must be met before using 914 to farm weapons, such as an active CI/GOC raid, or being a raiding CI/GOC team (although this might result in the two parties just frantically rushing to 914 to see who can get the energy weapon / AA weapon advantage first, instead of the intended effect of limiting its use for these situations. Honestly, CI need the advantage because they get clapped in every raid and only ever make it past FL2 because of the vents)

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
Ensuring that there is a healthy respect for the rules at all levels of a community is important. The higher-ups shouldn't get to break the rules just because of their status, as it sets a bad example for other players to follow. Ultimately, accepting this suggestion will be a big step forward in fostering a healthier community on the SCP-RP servers.

Last edited:

Kw1ll

Apr 16, 2022
+Support, anyone can say "report people" "we will make it so those ppl get punished IC" but these have been attempted before and clearly it has had no impact.

Source; I tried punishing it myself. lol.

Cheese Cooper

Sep 5, 2022
A bunch of CL4 members farming guns to fight CI with, including AA (They admitted they were going to be throwing nitro against CI)
xamW4tt.png
I can't even arrest them since they're all CL4 and they have authorization to use 914 by SA

James "Baker" | "Pilgrim"

Aug 5, 2022
-Support
Been suggested before, It really isnt needed. As an A-1 we use 914 sure, but we only use the shit to *Defend the O5*
If A-1 on US use 914 without perms from SA/EC/O5, Then they should be reported to O5 or the COM.
Not sure what the case if for O-1, but A-1 US have been told, especially as of late, Do not do things without permissions, But notice, our COM or O5 never get reports of this or anything, Kinda odd imo

To add onto this, As CLOAK HIMSELF Has said, E-11 and IA never watch/guard 914, why complain about something that is EASILY fixed IC by just moving more guys to defend 914, and if SC Authorize it and get weapons for themselves and their guard, Dont fuck with them, and they wont fuck with you most of the time
-Support
For the reason stated above

Rowling

Jan 14, 2023
+Support
- It's an entity for research, not weaponry. With that being said GOI and DClass should be allowed to use it for weapons

• Wow
Reactions: Naffen

Sylveon

Game Master
Game Master
Jul 25, 2022
So, I will speak purely off of experiences I've had in CI and as a Foundation MTF.

The Balance of power during any form of Skirmish between the foundation and CI lead to one key principle, man power. The Foundation, during raids, have the capabilities to respawn, and return to the engagement. CI, have the advantage in equipment, however are limited to one life raids. Utilizing 914 in the capacity I have seen it, where during a simple Infiltration mission, each party ran into multiple people utilizing augers. MTF and Departments alike. CI, realistically, can not voice these complaints in a IC setting, we can't like, call up IA and say, hey, these guys used augers on us.

We then have to bank off of the good will of other foundation staff who understand CI's job and role on the server, is not easy. We, by all accounts, have limited rp content, being tailored mainly for raiding the foundation.

Speaking on the balance of power here, All Foundation staff who deal with CI raids, are eligible to respawn and return to counteract our raid efforts, while we bank off of our equipment to even have a chance to push through, even then we can easily get bogged down during raids.

Example 1: Primary Assault push through garage, severed because of LAV-25 deployment, the LAV-25 requires 4 Matador shots, and pair that with even one NU-7 Marksman, we have a hard time pushing in.
Example 2: Floor-2 Bulk head, is a choke point, now its deal able, but its a big road block.
Example 3: EZ Elevator to FLoor-2, this is the worse choke point CI have to push through, and this works both ways. CI can hold the upper end, while the foundation hold the lower end, and in most cases, if the lower gets fortified, we just get a few keycards then leave, as we are unable to push down into EZ.

Now consider the following, the shift in power quickly changes to a overwhelming foundation power due to 914 equipment usage, Augers are 250 round mini-guns which allow you to heavily suppress an area. The Double Barrel is a two shot sniper rifle, especially if you are ADSing. You are able to get free Energy Weapons from 914, and to top it all off.... Nitro, which is essentially an impact grenade with better potentcy.

CI, however does have two pieces of AA we are able to freely use and deploy, that being Sticky Grenades and SLAM's. What a lot of people don't understand about these devices, is simple. Slams are throwable grenades that you can manual detonate, you can also place them onto walls and leave them as trip-wire mines. Stickies are grenades that will attach onto people, most of the time you will one ko them, but there are times where stickies, just... don't. CI also do not have easy access to 914, we are not generally going to have things like Nitro, Augers, or anything like that unless we are lucky.

Lets push this into a more practical scenario. CI are currently pushing into the foundation, they got lucky and NU-7 where not garrisoning the Garage, leading to use getting Floor-2 and EZ CP and they begin pushing into LCZ. It is at this point we have to choose two very specific routes, PW or Medbay. Medbay is a very defendable location as there are roughly 5 angles defenders can deal damage to us from, while PW has GSD coming out of spawn, B-1 coming out of spawn, and O-1 coming out of Core, IA and Intel also coming out of their spawn, this is also t say it requires a CL1 to get through CPC. These areas are where a majority of our raids fail, with the second being EZ and the third being HCZ. This not the problem however, as CI should not always be able to push into the foundation.

I want you to then consider the abuse of 914 and the lack of enforcement of it IC wise, to the point where multiple NU-7, Intel, and miscellaneous foundation staff each had Augers and where able to completely ruin a infiltration mission as people where killed rapidly, and factor that into abuse of 914 to the point where every time we raid, several people will most likely have said equipment.

Usually complaints are chopped up to "Look CI are just coping" and that may be true, but when CI are a key element to multiple Divisions in the foundation to even having a purpose outside of boring security guards, we need a solid balance of power its not unfun for us to even attempt a raid, and CI have put up with a lot of bullshit before.

So yes, I do get a bit touchy when something like this, which is already being poorly moderated by the powers in character positions to the point where it hinders player enjoyability in CI. I would care less if we had something other then raiding to do, but THAT is all we can do, we simply have little to no tools to help us build better passive roleplay outside of the blessing of Game Masters. Heck, one of our best Roleplaying Jobs, Deep covers, can't even roleplay properly as their disguises can just up and vanish, and there is nothing said deep covers can do about it besides get killed or captured.

I want CI to enjoy more RP, and not just be tied up in generic raid 2145159, but until things change, we have to work with what we can.

I don't care if CI get to use 914 AA or not, I just want more policies done IC or OOC wise to ensure abuse isn't happening to a SCP the foundation has 24/7 access too.

I'll end this fucking rant, because I already ? enough for this.

I just want to play a good SCP-RP server, and when I have people constantly dogging on CI just because something was done which hurts CI player enjoyability, my blood boils a bit.

Archie Bambozzini

Aug 3, 2022
+ Support
I love how the only argument A-1 and others have against this is "report it ic" full well knowing nothing will happen, last time I saw an MTF Commander break ic rules he sent his subordinates to kidnap me and Class A me so I couldn't report it.

Vizoplez

Dec 10, 2022
+ Support
I love how the only argument A-1 and others have against this is "report it ic" full well knowing nothing will happen, last time I saw an MTF Commander break ic rules he sent his subordinates to kidnap me and Class A me so I couldn't report it.
Confirming this, if you decide to do anything about it to MTF units (especially ISD) you will get kidnapped and Class-A'd and/or just executed. Massive problem on the UK server where IA are shot dead for doing their job.

Naffen

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Donator
Group Moderator
Apr 11, 2022
Confirming this, if you decide to do anything about it to MTF units (especially ISD) you will get kidnapped and Class-A'd and/or just executed. Massive problem on the UK server where IA are shot dead for doing their job.
This isn't true at all. This never happens and this isn't allowed and breaks server rules as stated by SL.

Vizoplez

Dec 10, 2022
Sorry but that just isn't true.
I'm sorry, you're accusing me of lying over something I've had to deal with multiple times as an Ambassador? As Darren themselves has confirmed, atleast on the UK server, we have some major problems with ISD atleast on an individual level abusing their position when we detain them to call for help, and the others accuse us of being CI/ETC and shoot first. It's a really big problem, to the point where we, as IA leadership, have had to state in the past that you should NOT detain ISD as it is a threat to your own life, rather, clip it and send it to us so we can talk to O5/Ethics.

It really is a problem where if you catch ISD they shouldn't be doing, they'll find an excuse to kill you. Again, its more of a 'person by person' problem, rather than a general regimental thing, but yes...
And its not just ISD! Gensec shoot at IA all the time lmfao

Biscuits

Jan 2, 2023
I'm sorry, you're accusing me of lying over something I've had to deal with multiple times as an Ambassador? As Darren themselves has confirmed, atleast on the UK server, we have some major problems with ISD atleast on an individual level abusing their position when we detain them to call for help, and the others accuse us of being CI/ETC and shoot first. It's a really big problem, to the point where we, as IA leadership, have had to state in the past that you should NOT detain ISD as it is a threat to your own life, rather, clip it and send it to us so we can talk to O5/Ethics.

It really is a problem where if you catch ISD they shouldn't be doing, they'll find an excuse to kill you. Again, its more of a 'person by person' problem, rather than a general regimental thing, but yes...
And its not just ISD! Gensec shoot at IA all the time lmfao
Tbf its failrp for you to shoot somebody if they're trying to arrest you

Cheese Cooper

Sep 5, 2022
Tbf its failrp for you to shoot somebody if they're trying to arrest you
I've been kidnapped and amnestied to prevent me from snitching on A-1 before, shit happens yo
anyways, I'm back! Reading over some comments, it's heartening to see people speaking up about the abuses of power they've witnessed. While handling these issues in an IC manner is always an option, I still firmly believe that a staff ruling about SCP-914 abuse should be implemented. After all, there might not always be an E-11 or IA to guard SCP-914 (frankly, it's boring and the reason E-11 struggles to get members in the first place).

Sir Barry

Jul 20, 2022
+ Unparalleled Support

The hypocrisy of abusing 914 under the guise of "Protection" breaks the rules that Me, The Director if Internal Affairs, and my entire team of people have to enforce via the very people that abuse it. Why should the "little people" follow rules if the people who enforce them cant follow them? When your political leaders commit Tax Fraud and get away with it, it causes strife within your country when it comes to taxes. "Why do I have to do it if he doesn't?". People should want to follow the rules because of the enticing manner of positive reinforcement, not argue and disagree with the rules that their leaders break on a daily basis. What irks me the most is when people speak up against this issue, then have to fear the idea of losing their job or being demoted. This is a game, and following the rules, on any level, should be enforced, and the possession of the White Keycard has allowed people to step into a purgatory between worlds where they can't receive In Character punishment because they are the top of the Command Chain, and where staff don't care enough about the issue for them to receive Out Of Character punishment. I receive countless reports of 914 abuse, from Site Advisors to Ethics Members and Overseer Councilmen. I have absolutely no power to stop this, and neither does anyone else.

The biggest issue here is the new rule where AA weapons can be used on other players if they are retrieved from 914. This literally allows people who are tied to CL5 personnel to abuse 914 with no consequences, outfit their entire squad of MTF with Advanced Armory weapons, and then literally exempt themselves from server rules. No one else can use 914 without consequences. If CI and/or D-Class make it through ID checks, countless guards and personnel, and plenty of key card scanners, they are rewarded for making it that far with access to heavy weapons. That is a large task. Site Command, on the other hand, simply have to state they are doing it and no one will interfere. Personnel who do interfere are usually met with a timely death.

If the relationship between Site Command and the rest of the community is ever going to heal, it has to start with this. People lose faith in leaders who can get away with things. When a community can see their leaders follow the same rules and principles as them, a connection is formed. Great leaders don't waltz on elevated golden platforms above their rules and followers. Great leaders walk in the dirty with their people.

Lead by example.

Leaf Ericson

Aug 17, 2022
+ Massive Support

But...
Let me start this with the fact that this SHOULD be a in character issue but due the the prevalence of major abuse from leading members of the community this has gone unpunished, this is a shining example of the absolute failure from these people to promote and uphold accurate Role-play in this server an issue Ive seen growing consistently over the past few months. I find it extremely sad that they not only abuse aspects of the server but silence the people who try to catch them on it. now one could argue that this could lead into interesting role play where lets say the ethics committee attempts to uproot the corruption of the O-5 but they seem not only uninterested but incapable of such actions thus allowing for an air of corruption to pollute both sides of the isle.

The Problems In Role-Play
My angry ramblings aside in the context of role-play this issue simply doesn't seem like something that would make any sense, and is directly antithetical to the goals and ideals of the foundation.

Issue 1
The use of 914 in lore is inherently unpredictable and unsafe with many risks including but not limited to The creation of dangerous results than can cause bodily harm and death, the animation of the objects which can result in aggressive and powerful entities, and the creation of brand new anomaly's that require resources to be contained, Not only this but with almost of the examples stated the CL5 person is almost always IN THE ROOM making these not only threats to MTF personnel but opportunitys for O5 and Ethics to be harmed or killed.

Issue 2
Like Ive previously stated the use of 914 by ethics or O5 is out of line from the standard practice of the Foundation, which shows that the current O5/Ethics is deviating from the very basic goals of the Foundation and abusing an scp for their own personal gain such actions could result in removals...

The Problems In Game-Play
Looking at this from a more game-play focused view there are still many issues. the big problem is Its simply not fun for the advisory's, there is no worse feeling then starting a raid on CI just to get absolutely melted by large amounts of energy weapons and now with the recent changes to AA weapons you can use a fucking auger on CI makes raiding even harder, not only this getting speed contained from the A-1 energy weapon death squad is incredibly unbalanced and frankly not fun.

In Conclusion
Despite the fact i wish this could be handled in character, the ability to role-play and interest in doing so to punish the offenders simply isn't their there fore making it a issue outside of character.

Reactions: Sir Barry

John Iceland

Donator
Im sure you'd like to think you only use it to "Defend the 05" but there have been countless instances of other A-1 members patrolling around with weapons from 914 (Like Augurs, Xeons, Double barrels, etc). This could be because they got the weapons while a guard and aren't guarding anymore, or it could be they weren't assigned to guard but snagged a weapon anyways. Regardless, instances of things like A-1 patrolling with energy weapons and AA are extremely common, so I believe the "only used for guarding 05s" is a misconception. Also, please refer to my metagame argument for details on why I think using 914 to get better weapons to guard better is unhealthy for combat.
ec6b71ce71e959c5aeb112557772e87a.png

https://gyazo.com/ec6b71ce71e959c5aeb112557772e87a
This is what US A-1 get told, So if we're getting them without previous SC/SA approval, it should be taken to the higher ups.
Lets look at it like this
EC/O5 Use it -> 6 out of Hundreds of players get to arm themselves (Only for self defense) and their guards (Maybe 6-7) most, with 1 time use weapons that are only used outside of guarding it after the O5/ECM gets off (What are we supposed to do, just kill ourselves?)

Now lets look at your examples
Containment Spec. - Unable to Auth it, should be handled and would be handled should E-11 / IA guard the SCP (They havent done that once since I've joined the server)
Site Director - Clarified by SL unable to auth or, abuse should be reported to the O5 Council
MTF CPT - Unable to Auth it, Abuse should be taken to their COM/Site Administration
Combat Medic - Unable to Auth it, Abuse should be reported to IA

And lets take a 2nd glance, ONLY 1 OF YOUR EXAMPLES IS ACTUAL IN GAME EVIDENCE
People say stuff over Discord all the time being funny or as a joke, while some may be serious it cant be proven.
So i dont know where this misconception that A-1 at least are just allowed to walk in and make guns with O5 BECAUSE WE ARENT, AND NEVER HAVE BEEN.

John Iceland

Donator
After all, there might not always be an E-11 or IA to guard SCP-914 (frankly, it's boring and the reason E-11 struggles to get members in the first place).
E-11 and IA combined are a lot more active then O5/EC, THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN AUTHORIZE ITS USE
If we made staff ruling over anything that was boring why dont I as an A-1 member go make suggestions for making infobreaches against the rules? It would be dumb BECASE ITS OUR JOB, E-11's JOB is to Guard and handle the SCP's on site, IA's job is to catch and punish people breaking the legal codex through reports and what-not, if they don't want to do that, they shouldn't be in the regiment.
I can't even arrest them since they're all CL4 and they have authorization to use 914 by SA
SA cant auth it, clarified by SL, go to O5 on that SA who auth'd it, But let me make a wild guess and say they were never told.
If O5 dont handle it properly then theres always -1, and if he doesnt theres always SL, and if they dont always NL.
Communication is key in the foundation and the server

Status
Not open for further replies.