Your in-game name: Cleetus
Your SteamID: STEAM_0:1:67351845
Your steam community link: https://steamcommunity.com/id/coopacarp/
Date of ban: Wed. Nov 16
What is your exact ban reason (shows when you try to connect): Macros [A]
Who banned you: Eric "Epicap" Cappington
Ban length?: 7 days
What server were you banned on?: (SCP-RP UK or SCP-RP USA): SCP-RP USA
Link a copy of the in-game rules here (the url): https://www.civilgamers.com/community/threads/scp-rp-rules.2244/
What will you do to stop this from happening again: I won't use my macro that spams "A and D", or any like it.
Prior to this, have you ever been warned/kicked/banned?: Never
Why should you be unbanned: I should be unbanned because if someone had taken the time to wait until I came back, I could've easily and very happily explained that I had been up for a very long time waiting in teamspeak for my staff interview and when I had 20 minutes left on a breach que for 035, I made the mistake of laying in my bed and I decided to put on a macro (not aware it's against the rules) that just shakes me side to side, I accidentally passed out and wake up an hour later to this ban message being on my screen which was super devastating especially since I was also informed I have a 3 month long staff blacklist, this is even more upsetting given that I have spent a lot of time trying to build a nice reputation for myself, studying the rules, etc and it all got thrown down the toilet because, in my opinion, I got banned for a rule that isn't even in the rules and was super minor, I can understand a warn for it but a 1 week ban because I made a bind that pushes A and D every now and then guys, come on, 1.22 was made for people that make actual game changing scripts, not my tiny afk macro. I did not intend to break any rules at all and I can guarantee you that I NEVER would use a macro if I knew it was against the rules. After I woke up and saw the message I went ahead and read the rules to make sure I was correct in saying it wasn't against the rules to use a simple bind to move side to side (bear in mind I didn't even need to use this bind because the player pop wasn't very close to full and I never would have been AFK kicked even if I didn't use it) and after reading the closest rule I could find was:
1.22 Bug/Script Abuse - Don’t hack, script, or abuse glitches. Don’t do anything that can be seen as giving you an unfair advantage over other players.
Now I already know you are probably going to say "scripting" is the same as what I did but it is so far from what I did and the macro I use gave me no unfair advantage over another player. This rule is made out to say basically "don't cheat" and if we are going to say that using a macro that moves me side to side when I get tired or have to pee, is an unfair advantage or is such a crime that it is punishable by a week long ban and a 3 month staff blacklist, I really wish you guys would put that absolutely NO macros are allowed, even if it doesn't give an unfair advantage over other players, because this ghost rule I got banned for has put a terrible stain on my record and cost me my potential ability to become staff. If you've seen me on the server or even slightly know me, you know I would never purposefully break any rule let alone one that is so severe it would cause this harsh of a punishment and cost me quite a bit on the server. I am hoping whoever reviews this takes into consideration everything I have said here and acts like a human with some compassion, sees I clearly meant no harm, and sees I just made a non-harmful, stupid mistake and was not aware that what I did would fall under scripting in the rules and I hope you try to see this from my point of view, that is all I ask of you. Thanks for your time.
P.S. If this ban does get lifted I would greatly appreciate if I received a message letting me know whether or not the staff blacklist is also lifted in turn. Thanks again

How can you ensure that you won't break any other rule?: If you guys decide to be compassionate and give me a 2nd chance, I will never use anything that even remotely resembles a script on the server again and if I even think about it I will 100% run it by staff first. Obviously even if you keep the ban I will never use anything close to a script on the server again.
Why do you want to rejoin this server?:[/b] Because I have enjoyed the community so much and I feel that the punishments given to me for a macro that was so minor and not game changing and that isn't even clearly stated in the rules is honestly shameful and I feel it is absolutely unfair to do that to someone who tries to follow every rule by the book and tries to make sure everyone else does the same. Handing me a warn so I knew the rule would have been more than enough to deter me from ever using a macro again, this is just way too much for this infraction.

Last edited:

Epicap

Jun 14, 2022
Hey Cleetus,

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Before I begin my response, I will add in the clip of the macro use here.

https://medal.tv/games/garrys-mod/clips/IHGzbixdcUl19/d1337Qu7dwOM?invite=cr-MSxZUUYsNzkxNzg1MjEs

As you can see in the clip, Senior Mod @Yukiri had asked for some help regarding it which is why I showed up. When informed of the situation and checking for myself, we agreed it was clearly a macro. That being said, I was aware at the time you had just had a staff application accepted and were waiting for an interview so it was more complicated. I told Yukiri I would handle it from there and informed other members of Server Leadership regarding the situation.

I waited for you to come back after switching you off, but due to me needing to get off after a little over ten minutes, I went and found your discord while I waited for SL to respond on their thoughts and informed you of the rule breaking by using a macro and that the minimum punishment would be a week. I gave you the macros punishment and I then responded to your inquiries when you did return almost thirty minutes later from your nap.

1.22 Bug/Script Abuse - Don’t hack, script, or abuse glitches. Don’t do anything that can be seen as giving you an unfair advantage over other players.
As you saw this is the closest rule and even though it may not state that macros and scripts can be synonymous, it should be understood that a macro is a recording of a series of instructions that your computer then executes on a loop. In other words this would fall under scripting and staff are told to handle it as such. As for whether it gives you an advantage over other players, keep in mind that by using this script you are preventing characters that would actively play or wait without using such tools. In a sense that is an advantage.

I am sorry you feel it was unjust, but unfortunately macros are unacceptable for use on this server. As such the punishment I gave and the use of a macro while you had applied for staff were a sad yet necessary thing to see and punish you for.

Thanks,
Epicap

Cleetus

Oct 11, 2022
Hey Cleetus,

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Before I begin my response, I will add in the clip of the macro use here.

https://medal.tv/games/garrys-mod/clips/IHGzbixdcUl19/d1337Qu7dwOM?invite=cr-MSxZUUYsNzkxNzg1MjEs

As you can see in the clip, Senior Mod @Yukiri had asked for some help regarding it which is why I showed up. When informed of the situation and checking for myself, we agreed it was clearly a macro. That being said, I was aware at the time you had just had a staff application accepted and were waiting for an interview so it was more complicated. I told Yukiri I would handle it from there and informed other members of Server Leadership regarding the situation.

I waited for you to come back after switching you off, but due to me needing to get off after a little over ten minutes, I went and found your discord while I waited for SL to respond on their thoughts and informed you of the rule breaking by using a macro and that the minimum punishment would be a week. I gave you the macros punishment and I then responded to your inquiries when you did return almost thirty minutes later from your nap.

As you saw this is the closest rule and even though it may not state that macros and scripts can be synonymous, it should be understood that a macro is a recording of a series of instructions that your computer then executes on a loop. In other words this would fall under scripting and staff are told to handle it as such. As for whether it gives you an advantage over other players, keep in mind that by using this script you are preventing characters that would actively play or wait without using such tools. In a sense that is an advantage.

I am sorry you feel it was unjust, but unfortunately macros are unacceptable for use on this server. As such the punishment I gave and the use of a macro while you had applied for staff were a sad yet necessary thing to see and punish you for.

Thanks,
Epicap
I understand why you did what you did and I appreciate you waiting for me to return, I just wish people would be more human and understanding and less hardcore on situations like this where it should be clear I meant no ill intent and I was clearly just unaware, if not confused by the rule. I would never sacrifice my reputation and staff interview for something as stupid as one breach as 035. Thanks for your response though. I suppose we'll just have to wait and hope that whoever reviews this understands where I am coming from.

EDIT: I would like to say that I am aware now that it is against server rules, the point of this ban appeal is to mainly point out the fact that the punishment does not fit the crime so to speak. I'm being treated as if I was scripting to Bhop or something along those lines when I just didn't know a rule and made a very minor AFK macro, and I think the rule should definitely specify macros and not just group that with scripts. I very much so was not aware of that rule at the time, and I feel I have shown that clearly and shown I definitely will not do it again and due to these reasons especially I feel I should get a chance to be forgiven for my mistake and learn from it without having a 1 week ban/3 month staff blacklist. Just seems a bit much handing me that harsh of a punishment for something I didn't mean to do maliciously. I am by no means asking you to leave me without a punishment, but a 3 month staff blacklist and 1 week ban just isn't right for what I did.

Last edited:

Flames

CG Super VIP
Donator
Jan 10, 2021
Appeal Accepted

Hi Cleetus,

Thanks for taking the time to make a ban appeal.

Upon reviewing the situation I've decided to unban you as the situation prior does not warrant a 1 week ban. For future notice, please refrain from using macros more or less using +left or +right in console to avoid being kicked by the AFK system.

Regards,
Flames​

Status
Not open for further replies.