Denied Combat Overhaul & Fear-RP Removal

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Obvious

Administrator
Administrator
DarkRP Staff
Resources Team
Donator
Mar 5, 2022
United Kingdom
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:

The base premise of this suggestion is the removal of Fear-RP whilst adding various mechanics to allow roleplay to flow more whilst not leaning towards a bloodshed of mass-murder. At the moment, Fear-RP is being artificially forced onto the player via a ruleset, which ironically is constricting roleplay. So, what exactly am I proposing?

• The removal of the Fear-RP rule: This is the base of the problems in many RP situations, especially with the police. Allow instead actual fear within roleplay to thrive, making people afraid to die instead of pulling their own weapon (naturally this cannot apply to every situation). At the moment the rule restricts roleplay, as you can't try to run away, escape or attempt anything which could currently be considered breaking that Fear-RP unless the person who has you captured/under their sight does something stupid like wander off or look away. Criminals need to be made to actually roleplay, think and be CLEVER, instead of just pointing a gun at someone and just be like "Gun is now at your face, you are now my robot". Not only that but this rule dictates how a scenario will play out; it isn't roleplay if scenarios only end up one way.
  • Add a Weapon Switching Delay: Now this isn't what you might think and I'd be open to alternatives which have the same effect. If you add a small delay of around half a second, something to indicate to the aggressor the victim is about to retaliate. Those who argue against sneak play will be impossible? You could remove any kind of delay on weapons that are knives and pistols, ones which are either restrictive or less powerful, which would give more use and desire to these weapons.
  • Equip the taser to all police: This is essential to allow police to actually do their job. I find it bizarre they don't currently have them, because there is no option but to kill someone most of the time without a means to disarm the suspect. For a job which is meant to kill as a last resort, it does an incredible amount of killing. This will then also allow police to actively attempt to arrest the suspect by disarming them. Combat tasering I hear? Personally, police should use common sense when the taser should be deployed as opposed to the firearm, and running into a raid with a taser should be Fail-RP.
  • Equip Criminals with additional equipment: The best way to allow this change to thrive for criminals is giving the general category of jobs the ability to purchase items to assist their crimes. Anyone should be able to purchase strong rope (the kind which blinds/gaga/ties etc), and allow this either to be purchased at an NPC and/or be a permanent upgrade. Make the tying up quick enough when approaching from behind, they will be disabled. Some jobs have the disguise swept, which helps to shroud the suspension someone might have when a stranger approaches.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):

• Allows roleplay to thrive by allowing players to be more creative.
  • Allows players to not be restricted within a roleplay scenario and having the feeling of deja vu.
  • Allows police to aim more freely to achieve the end goal of arrest more often and aim to save lives, not take them.
  • Gives criminals more tools to enable their trade and not restrict too much into one job.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:

• Some players may Powergame and/or Fail-RP without a rule in place to stop them holding someone hostage.
  • Taser could be abused with excessive tasering in raids; this could be combated by not allowing its use in raids and cracking down on abuse of the taser (e.g. should be used as little as possible as not as a torture tool almost).
  • Some could argue that the weapon switching delay is frustrating (despite I'd argue only a small half a second delay on a limited number of larger weapons).

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:

At current, I genuinely believe roleplay is being artificially constricted by the Fear-RP rule, and causing RP scenarios to always end up too similar. I've set out above the ways to get around removing the rule successfully to allow RP to organically develop and let player's creativity flow. I'm open to you all to suggest more additions as to make this as smooth a transition as possible to implement, as I'm sure there are more great ideas to help. I look forward to reading your suggestions and comments!

Jason

Blacklisted Player
Jan 28, 2023
my boy, the graveyard is somewhere that way ?
this is darkrp, not cityrp. they're completely different.
CityRP is semi-serious, with some good roleplay aspects in it.
DarkRP is just not that.
I don't see this suggestion going anywhere, darkrp shouldnt try to be something it isn't

-Support

tony schleck

CC Executive VIP
Donator
Jun 11, 2021
+support

indeed there need of a overhaul of the current system of the fearrp you are screwed the moment they gun point you having this kinda removed and adding the weapon delay so police can react in time of a player trying to gun them down and give you the need to think before act
this will make hitman and bounty hunter a little harder what is a good thing a player is able to defend himself on time too
for me it is indeed also strange that not every cop have tazer and jail batalion

ofcourse there chould be a shorter delay on knifes

regarding this is dark-rp is not a excuse you chould always use for changes and changes need to happen to keep a server alive

also CC was never a real city-rp it leaned alot towards dark-rp it just had much more stuff in it to give RP to it

regarding tazer part we chould limited it to unarmed or by weapon pull only currently a see tazer go off even in active shooting?!

most dark rp's i see cops are even worthless while CG decided to give police a big roll on the server

search

Civil Gamers Expert
Jan 15, 2021
FearRP is kinda lame but there is no real better alternative for the server to be honest, without it people you are trying to arrest could just run away and if you try to tase them they can just pull a gun out. It is kinda necessary unfortunately for how the cops vs crims side of the server runs.

Weapon switching delay is a big nono from me, especially combined with the no fearrp idea you proposed. Every single case of arresting someone would be just a coinflip where they try to pull a gun and if I tase them they get arrested but if I miss I die, in no way is that better roleplay than the current system. Raiding would also feel really clunky if this was added, you wouldn't really be able to peak without dying since the people you are raiding know ahead of time you're pulling a gun out and if you ever try to lockpick/keypad crack the last fading door you already know they are opening it and mag dumping you, making solo raiding pretty much impossible unless you have master thief.

PLEASE GIVE MORE ROLES TASERS NOBODY FOLLOWS FEARRP WHAT ARE THEY MEANT TO DO WITH NO TASER. Moving on.

Don't really have strong opinions on the last part, although I will say kidnapping people with fearrp is hard enough, unless the rope you speak of binds them instantly it would always be met by the person taking a step back to pull out a weapon or just running away.

(1)MxShift

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
DarkRP Staff
Event Team
Dec 26, 2021
-Support

I dont like the fact that Fearrp should get removed and the fact to add a weapon delay isnt gonna go help either. Its gonna start to look like a half made CC and clearly we're a DarkRP and shouldnt become something it isnt.

49Mr Black

Civil Gamers Expert
+Support - The removal or revamping of FearRP. As you quite rightly say it limits RP in an unfair and often annoying way. Players should be able to take the risk of pulling a weapon out during a mug/kidnap. Artificially limiting RP is just not fun. If this were to be the case though RDM rules would need to be tightened around this, to prevent the potential for adverting mug then instantly gunning down the victim claiming they were not complying etc etc this is common on all servers with no FearRP and needs to be addressed directly in an addendum to the Mugging or RDM rules.

-Support - Weapon switch delay. This only coming down to a matter of personal preference. I have never been a fan of it, on DarkRP or CityRP. I will not elaborate, I just do not like it as a concept and I think this would be a bad addition to the server.

-Support - Equipping stun guns to all PD. This is going to be a recipe for disaster, there is already a huge divide in the community on the argument of combat tazing. Giving it to all PD is going to further aggravate this issue. If these issues can be resolved or a compromise reached this will change to a +Support. though.

-Neutral - Additional tools for crim jobs. I just think having the rope purchasable by all so easily is going to be a minges dream. Also, given the fact they are so fast to bind hands I can see it becoming an issue where people are cuffed in RP scenarios with weapons drawn etc etc being a further annoyance. Tweaking the cuffs to take longer to cuff or to come off themselves after a set time would be best.

Last edited:

genoss

May 15, 2023
- support
this wouldnt fit into cg and opens a bunch of can of worms basically, this would fit more into some idea where instead of fearrp there would be a surpression system, i.e if youre under gunpoint or such your movement is slowed and you cant pull out guns at all

Lion

Developer
Developer
Programming Team
+support for the removal of FearRP.

Here's a quote from the current maintainer of the DarkRP Gamemode, FPtje:
A player being mugged has one choice, and that is to give the money. If they have a gun, FearRP states that they cannot use it. If there’s a nifty way out of the situation, FearRP states that they cannot use it. All this is supposedly for the sake of realism. Bitch you don’t watch the news.

FearRP makes mugging extremely overpowered. One message in chat and you’ll either get your money or the other player is punished by an admin.

Get rid of this rule and force muggers to be more creative with mugging. Have them mug people who look like they don’t have guns. Have them trap people in a room to make sure they can’t run away.
(source: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10pvotowOA3EA7K5BMgdaKVOYjbrbx6dxrQn4LWxm30A/edit)

-support for weapon switching, it's just annoying and I don't think CN is going for super serious roleplay here
+/-support for the taser thing, I'd love the taser as FBI but it may be abused by some people
I don't know how I feel about the equipment suggestion, I'll need to look into it more.

(1)Bonga

CG Super VIP
Donator
Dec 24, 2020
- Support for weapon switch delay, fear rp and tazers for all the cops

+Support for additional equipment

Remmy

CC Executive VIP
Donator
Dec 24, 2020
Suggestion Denied

Hi @Captain Obvious .

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.

You've made multiple suggestions here so I'll list all of them below with the reason for denial.

FearRP Removal - FearRP is a core component on the server, we can't imagine DarkRP functioning well without it. Removing FearRP will essentially remove the ability for PD to RP with criminals since they'll always choose to run away. Will also prevent players from kidnapping other players or mugging them etc.

Weapon Switching Delay - It's a nice idea, but because of the rules we have on the server you'll never need to use this system in RP. If someone is under FearRP they won't be allowed to pull a weapon regardless, meaning you can interact with them without the worry of this happening.

Taser for all PD - All players have the chance to use the stungun, VIPs get instant access with the Sergeant job, and the Corporal job is always unlockable with tokens. A taser isn't given to all PD by design, since it's easily abusable and would cause imbalance between PD and Criminal (considering combat tasing is allowed).

Additional equipment for criminals - Covert Thief and Kidnapper are given handcuffs, if we made them purchasable there'd be too much room for abuse. Both of these jobs can work together or in a gang so we don't see the need.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

Status
Not open for further replies.