Status
Not open for further replies.

Deftone

Sep 20, 2022
Name: "The Malevolent"
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:197902550
Please state if it is for SCP-RP UK or USA: USA
Level of appeal (2 or 3): Level 2
Have you already carried out a level 1 appeal - please give details: I discussed the matter for 5 or so minutes in private, I was just told to make a Level 2.
Who did you carry out the level 1 appeal to, and where: Thorn, over DMS
Rank demoted from: O5-3
Who demoted you?: O5-1, Thorn
Date of demotion?: 1/28/2024
What is the case against you?: RDM.
Is this true?: Yes, but it is not as simple as a yes or no.
Prior to this demotion, have you ever been demoted?: Yes.
Please list any previous roleplay demotion appeals: None.
What is your side of the story?:

I'd like to give a little bit of background. Prior to this situation, I had one strike that was set to last for a month: it was given by Thorn due to an O-1 report from me on Response Unit. The O-1 Corporal ordered me to D-Block, told me to put my gun down, I pointed my gun back at him and told him to stop pointing it at me, then I shot him. It was not a code 2, so he was not right in ordering me back, and my gun was on safety, so he was not right in ordering to put my gun away. The O-1 Corporal called a sit on me for RDM and Fail RP, and the admins Did not deem it fit of a warn. Regardless, the issue was brought to Thorn, and I was striked for it.

Now, to address the second part of this story: the RDM case, the clip is below, for reference.

The boiled down story is that myself, Peasant, and an Ethics Member, Scoobz, were messing around on Floor 3, in addition to a couple O-1 and A-1. He was physgunning people around, and there was generally a light mood; the server was only 20-25 minutes away from a restart. There was some back and forth banter between the Ethics Member and I, you can even hear Peasant saying "Damn." in the clip, as if a comment made to poke fun at someone else was made not long before. Eventually, this lead to me shooting and killing him. Once again, there was no warn handed out, and no sit was even made.The Ethics Member took a clip of this, cutting out all of the banter, physgunning, and messing around that we were doing earlier, making it look like I've just shot him on the spot for no reason. This clip is misleading, falsely portrays the situation, and cuts out a huge part of the preceding situation.

Skoobz gave his own account of the situation.

This testimony has multiple points on which I believe to be false and multiple points that emphasize the context of this situation. Firstly, he says that Ethics were invited up to Floor 3; they were not, they only came up and stayed following an 008 breach. Additionally, he recalls at the 1:40 mark how he did in fact physgun O5-4 around intentionally, and even if he was warned to stop, it is still not a very serious thing to do. Early in the video, he also mentions that he was gambling, another thing that indicates heavily that they were messing around. I bring up this testimony to emphasize once again the type of environment which this clip was taken in. Both Peasant and the A-1 present can also testify that this environment was not one conducive to RP, the banter, physgunning, gambling, and whatnot. With this in mind, I want to resummarize the whole situation that got me removed, from my prespective: Ethics and O-1 came up to Floor 3 due to a breach, and decided to stay for a while. While they were at it, they lounged around, they bantered, they gambled, and they physgunned people around; conducting themselves like this for the better part of half an hour. All this while the server was not too far from restart, too, a period not typically known for people being the most serious of RPers. None of this is to say that I am entirely free of blame; RDM is RDM, but at the end of the day, no harm was really done, no sit was called, and it was all done in a joking manner.

I want to close out by commenting on the handling of this situation. After Thorn got the report, we called for about 7 minutes, talking back and forth. I suggested to him that Skoobz, him, and I ought to go in a Teamspeak channel to settle the matter (image.png); I was turned down and he told me he would review the evidence on his own. Not an hour later, he told me over DMs that removal was the only appropriate punishment, and when I asked him if there could be a meeting regarding the decision, he commented that it was his decision, not a council decision, suggesting that I make a level 2 appeal (image.png). From what I know, no other O5 members were informed beforehand, and Thorn only reviewed the evidence for all of 60 minutes. Such a big decision should not be done so hastily, the way I see it. The process of such a matter is incredibly important, as seen in the past: in the case of Second, he was removed by a unanimous decision of Site Administration, and still came back due to an improper handling of the situation as a whole. If a unanimous decision that comes after long discussion and universal agreement of both O5 and SA can be deemed improper, then by the same standards, the decision of a single person based off his own opinions and thoughts, the testimony of only 2 others, and a 20 second long clip can absolutely be rescinded.

1706478454521.png

1706478462751.png

With all being said and done, I will summarize the point I am trying to get across.
  • As a pretext, I was given a single strike based on a report that followed a situation that staff deemed me innocent of.
  • The situation in question involved a harmless case of RDM in a generally relaxed and RP-light environment, being misconstrued by the reporter.
  • It was handled too hastily, and the verdict was based off of one person's interpretation of limited evidence, none of the O5 were even consulted or even informed by -1 that I was being removed.
Thus is why I say that the decision to remove me was unjust, and such is why I should be reinstated as O5-3.

Last edited:

Blackknight95

Super Administrator
Super Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Group Moderator
Jun 7, 2022
Appeal Denied

Hi Deftone,

Thanks for taking the time to make a ban appeal.

After consulting with the rest of the SL team, we decided to deny your appeal for the following reasons
  • The boiled down story is that myself, Peasant, and an Ethics Member, Scoobz, were messing around on Floor 3, in addition to a couple O-1 and A-1. He was physgunning people around, and there was generally a light mood; the server was only 20-25 minutes away from a restart. There was some back and forth banter between the Ethics Member and I, you can even hear Peasant saying "Damn." in the clip, as if a comment made to poke fun at someone else was made not long before. Eventually, this lead to me shooting and killing him.

Regardless of if it is done light-heartedly or not, RDM is still RDM, Killing the ECM for no reason in RP would be a valid reason to warn someone, sit or not.

• Second, he was removed by a unanimous decision of Site Administration, and still came back due to an improper handling of the situation as a whole. If a unanimous decision that comes after long discussion and universal agreement of both O5 and SA can be deemed improper, then by the same standards, the decision of a single person based off his own opinions and thoughts, the testimony of only 2 others, and a 20 second long clip can absolutely be rescinded.
Following this situation, the people that performed it had a discussion with Network (leadership) and were requested to not perform an action like that going forward, so that was a one-time thing that is not going to happen again.

Additionally, we have received more reports of you acting up on other jobs, and interrupting an ongoing event to grab the focus of the event and class F them, which is not a way to foster further RP for the wider player base outside of SC and A1.

Those are our reasonings for denying this appeal, and you cannot make another appeal, barring NL believing there was bias in our decision.

Regards,
Mercer and the SL team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.