Partially Accepted Gas Mask Rework (PAC3 and VJobEditor)

Content that has been partially accepted
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:
Firstly, add options to VJobEditor to change:
  • Whether the default gas mask is placed as it already is, or whether a bodygroup is changed when it is equipped (configurable target and values for when equipped/not)
  • Whether the gas mask causes the tinted vision when equipped
  • Whether the gas mask causes the heavy breathing when equipped
  • Whether the gas mask causes the condensation effect when equipped
  • Whether the job spawns with a gas mask equipped.
Secondly, add an option to the PAC3 fork (or via a separate menu) to:
  • Disable the gas mask third-person model when equipped
  • Trigger an event when the gas mask is equipped or not, so players can change their PAC based on this state

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:
This relates to the part of this suggestion that asks for the ability to disable the NVGs' third-person model, as part of this is the same basic idea of being able to swap it out for better/different model changes.

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):
  • Allows players and SL to use better third-person models for the gas mask, rather than the default one which often clips through people's models
    • Many models, specifically most/all of the MTF models, have gas mask bodygroups - these all fit these models much better than the standard gas mask, and many jobs already use them by default (which causes a clash of "you look like you have a gas mask on, but it's not real", and also adds to the clipping issues). I'd like to use these via PAC, but can't because there's no way to get rid of the default model or to detect that you have a gas mask equipped
  • Keeps the standard gas mask for models where there isn't a better alternative
  • If modellers make better/more specific gas mask bodygroups for models, they can then be easily configured by SL to use the new modelling
  • Jobs can spawn with gas masks by default (and, depending on the options set, this wouldn't be annoying to players on those jobs)
  • When players look like they have a gas mask on, they actually do
  • Better PAC functionality -> more incentive to buy PAC
EDIT: Just a note, there may be better ways to implement this. The base idea is just that people be able to use gas mask bodygroups instead of the current model, whether using PAC or by default. I can see a naïve implementation resulting in issues with e.g. the gas mask not appearing properly if the player is using a disguise card or 914 disguise card - this specific way seems likely to do that, but the base idea is here.

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:
  • Dev time
  • Players could abuse this feature to hide the fact that they have a gas mask on by disabling the model and not replacing it with anything else in PAC (minor issue, and can just be made against the rules to do)

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:
This would make gas masks less annoying in various ways, allow people more customisability with PAC (more incentive to pay for it with better functionality), and make them more immersive (less model clipping, more fitting model usage, better models used).

If this does get accepted, I imagine this would be very low priority, but that's fine.

Last edited:

Michael Dzhetnikov

Civil Gamers Expert
Mar 22, 2022
would be cool for functional gas masks for certain jobs ig, and they could just take them off, but this looks like it would take a while. +1

Niox

Jan 23, 2023
+Support
-Good, well made suggestion (As to expect from Zen)

Auburn

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Group Moderator
Jan 2, 2023
Ok, just to make this clear. We only have two core devs available that would even be able to attempt this. They are Ventz and Metro, who both have a lot on their plate. Even if this were to be accepted, it would be so far down in the backlog that it would never get completed. At the end of the day, it's cosmetic.

You can already set a job to spawn with gas mask protection in VJob, and I rarely see people try and grab gas masks from dispensers. The only time I do see it is if someone is throwing nerve gas, or it's the entirety of CI equipping it when ERT gets called in.

Right now all gas masks do is stop nerve gas damage. They are useless outside of that utility. The Pac3 event suggestion is good though.

Reactions: Zen and KaptianCore

Zen

Sep 16, 2023
Ok, just to make this clear. We only have two core devs available that would even be able to attempt this. They are Ventz and Metro, who both have a lot on their plate. Even if this were to be accepted, it would be so far down in the backlog that it would never get completed. At the end of the day, it's cosmetic.

You can already set a job to spawn with gas mask protection in VJob, and I rarely see people try and grab gas masks from dispensers. The only time I do see it is if someone is throwing nerve gas, or it's the entirety of CI equipping it when ERT gets called in.

Right now all gas masks do is stop nerve gas damage. They are useless outside of that utility. The Pac3 event suggestion is good though.
I'm fine if this ends up really far into the backlog, I do realise it'll take a decent amount of work for something that's really not that important, it's just something that'd be nice to have if any devs do end up picking it up at some point.

Max Henry

Jul 25, 2022
Site 184. Nova Scotia, Canada

I thought they give protection from the flu

Auburn

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Group Moderator
Jan 2, 2023
Suggestion Partially Approved

Hi @Zen ,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.
The Content Team has chosen to partially accept your suggestion for the following reasons.

We will be accepting the Pac3 Related Suggestions, but denying the Vjob changes. Its simply not worth the dev work.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as partially accepted.​

Status
Not open for further replies.