Jam's GM Application [UK]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jam

Civil Gamers Expert
Apr 10, 2022
Original Steam login name (your accounts first ever name): crazyuberben

For how long have you played on CG SCP-RP: I joined on 10/04/2022 and have been playing in routines, took big breaks.

In what country are you located?: Germany

Time zone: GMT+1

Foundation Name (include your regiment and rank if applicable): Jammer Jams. No Regiment

Chaos name (include your rank): 'Maelstrom' [MRU-2LT] [R&D-L], DELCOM

Civilian name: Jammer Jams

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:63557864

Discord ID (name#0000): Ben.#1117

Do you have a mic?: Yes

What server are you applying for?: UK

Is this the first application you made? If no, link all previous applications: I haven't applied before.

Have you received any kicks/bans/warning? and why?: Two warns from a year ago by Winkie. FailRP and Base camping.

Do you have any previous experience as a Gamemaster/Event Manager in a community?:
Not really, though I've always had event ideas and I have always been a advocate of roleplay without a event team position, so I would like to change that perhaps with this application by leading the roleplay.

Do you have any previous experience with serious roleplay?:
On this server, I started roleplaying with my first experiences as a R&D Lead for the CI, always tried my best to include and add R&D into the day-to-day routine of the CI since I have been a CO for three times now. I never played Foundation actively, because I felt the need of someone who would engage with roleplay inside CI. As R&D lead I took a lot of initiative inside roleplay events and I was in charge of researching on SCP's, which arguably is quite limited as we mostly get the same SCP's over and over again in arguably a shamble of a surrounding to roleplay in.
In my first time of being a CI CO, I was appointed R&D Lead and one of my core objectives was to use the civilians as gain to the Insurgency, we used propaganda tools and supplied them with weapons and money to serve us as we please, back then it was allowed if roleplayed accordingly, so I did. It was quite fun dominating surface with the support of the Civilians. I contributed to the formation of the "Pinewood Division", one of the early squadrons inside CI lead by Papyrus at the time, they were tasked with getting popular support.
On the second run of being a CO, I was relatively held back from Pinewood as there was now divisions and CO's who were dealing with that predominantly, I had to work my way up on R&D again, I have to say this wasn't my proudest run and I didn't do all too much, I tried my best with RP and got a event organised in which my main character at the time was reported Missing in Action during a raid. CI have not recovered his body.
Now this time is my third run, I want to take initiative of roleplay events and have many gamemaster ideas written down, that I'd like to include CI into.

How many hours can you be on everyday?:
Depends on my situation since School tends to be more stressful some days, less the others. I also have a lot to do in my private times so I'd guess maybe 1-2 hours per day is possible. But there's no guarantee I can be there everyday.

Why do you want to become a Gamemaster on our server?:
I feel like the Gamemaster Team really dropped off from when I joined the server, many events seem too repetitive and boring, no story behind it and I believe events should have a chain-connection to them that add up to the servers story line, obviously not speaking about all of them since Naffen for example has a story line of the Harbingers, that is fairly well-made. I would love to set up a storyline especially for CI to help them with their issue of roleplay, same goes for GOC since I am quite fond of both factions. Most gamemasters focus on foundation and kind of neglect the other factions, I want to help them, obviously I wont zone out Foundation. Additionally I feel like in many events there's more shooting involved than roleplay and puzzling, something I believed which made events hard and challenging.

What do you think you would be able to help us with on the server? Why are you special over the other applicants?:
Probably being a CI main, perhaps also the fact that I love roleplay events. I already discussed some ideas with other game masters or former game masters to get feedback, I love to put quality inside events before just flushing them out like factory work. That may require me some more time than other game masters but I always go by the motto "Quality over Quantity".

Please List 3 small event ideas (Which would involve at least one side of the server):

Major Press Correspondence
Pinewood will have a chief director of the Parawatch organisation arriving, this will be a director who due to high alert of missing reporters and reportedly weird phenomena of sudden memory loss for various situations decided to take matters into his own hands, many reporters being reportedly left in restraints after a vacuum of memory. This director would be tasked with indulging the public on the unknown phenomena plaguing the region. This might force the GOC to force to take action to capture this director, the CI would not be able to raid without alerting the director and the foundation must not allow SCP's to breach. Otherwise this director will have confirmation of his reports and will return with more reporters who might cause trouble for all factions involved, as the veil is a sacriment for all of them.

MC&D Transport
There will be reports of a high value transport passing through the region of pinewood. The MC&D per their reputation have a highly guarded convoy that is not stopping for nobody. The Foundation, CI or UNGOC may intervene to engage the convoy to see what it may contain. There will be a anomalous item that is a helmet, this helmet when worn will be posess the subject and resurrect a once living Alpha-1 Commander who defected to the Chaos Insurgency, one of the first who were part of what made up the Chaos Insurgency. This individual may benefit to a storyline of the Chaos Insurgency cell and his approach will differ depending on who captured him.

Paranormal Activity inside Pinewood
A odd orb appeared inside pinewood, it doesn't appear to be any ordinary orb. It has different effects on people, depending on their occupation. Combative personnel would lose all weapons. Chaos Insurgents would be punished in various ways, as they are killers to this orb. The Orb can communicate to few. GOC operatives would gain a health benefit, as form of a blessing. Foundation operatives would not have much of a change, as the orb views them as something neutral.

Please List an Map change event idea (Involving both sides and the entire server)

After a nuclear disaster, the Foundation team is on the move to Site-56 for safety. But there's a twist, the Chaos Insurgency is tailing them, planning to cause trouble.
To stay safe, the Foundation march takes breaks in abandoned places and strongholds. During one of these stops, Chaos Insurgents attacks what's left of Site-65, making things even messier.Keeping an eye on the situation is the UN Global Occult Coalition (UNGOC), making sure things don't get out of control. It's like a secret game between the Foundation and Chaos Insurgency. The ending goal is for the Site-65 march to leave the area of which the ambush of the Chaos Insurgency.

List an example mission for each of the following:

O-1: There will be a variety of researchers with satchels roaming the Site who have discovered information that is beyond their clearance and wil pose a risk of info breaching the lower clearances. The Alpha-1 is on high alert searching all individuals with satchels. The researcher who may hold this information, may be trying to spread it amongst people, can it be contained? Is the researcher a question by chance a Chaos Insurgent?

A-1: The Chaos Insurgency has formed a squad, tasked with terminating the Overseer Council under all circumstances. The information of this "KILLSQUAD" as they call themselves, is leaked through a captured Insurgent by Operatives. Can the Alpha-1 try to run down the Insurgent's who will attempt to damage the Foundation's integrity by cutting the head of the snake?

Nu-7: The Nu-7 is receiving a reinforcement transport convoy, this convoy has distanced trucks for the purpose of deception and avoid attention. Despite this, the Insurgency has gotten information from Spotters outside of Pinewood. The insurgency will be tasked with ambushing this convoy and the material may be used against the Nu-7 if it reaches the Insurgencies hands without damage. Nu-7 will receive high priority equipment to battle the upcoming assault of insurgents.

E-11: A anomalous entity has been spotted within Pinewood, it has to be captured immediatly. Duringst the engagement, the E-11 has to figure out how to deal with it, it will respond in a set manner and if not approached safely it may escape, also mutations on it's body have been spotted.

CI: The Chaos Insurgency receives word of a high-priority target entering Pinewood. Though of unknown origin. The Chaos Insurgency is tasked with capturing the target and identifying his origin. The consequences of his death are unknown, so is the consequence of his capture. He may hold important information for the Insurgency.

UNGOC: The NEXUS is sending word of a high priority objective within the SCP Foundation that is to be acquired instantly. The objective is a unknown entity that the NEXUS defines as highly crucial to be terminated. Can the UNGOC capture and destroy the entity?

Foundation Staff: An unknown AI-system was integrated into the Foundation System. Possibly planted by the Chaos Insurgency. This system will slowly deteriorate regular systems until it empowers itself to reach higher priority systems that may force containment breaches and various other problems. The AI has to be identified and removed from various objects, additionally the Foundation may need to find a code on a dead insurgent body remaining somewhere inside the foundation, to deactivate this AI.

Bill Nye The Guy

May 28, 2022
+support
Jam has been making events as long as I have been on the server for. In addition to every event he has listed here he's made countless RP scenarios and storylines in a range of different places over the years, each of which was fleshed out and had a really interesting concept behind them.
I'm honestly surprised he didn't apply for GM earlier considering the kind of stuff he does without any of the permissions or tools that GMs get.
Almost every event listed here sounds fun to me, and each of them sounds doable with a fun storyline/twist.

A-1 event could be circumvented by having the overseer cower away in the nuke room
Map change isn't really a map change though :/

Jam

Civil Gamers Expert
Apr 10, 2022
+support
Jam has been making events as long as I have been on the server for. In addition to every event he has listed here he's made countless RP scenarios and storylines in a range of different places over the years, each of which was fleshed out and had a really interesting concept behind them.
I'm honestly surprised he didn't apply for GM earlier considering the kind of stuff he does without any of the permissions or tools that GMs get.
Almost every event listed here sounds fun to me, and each of them sounds doable with a fun storyline/twist.

A-1 event could be circumvented by having the overseer cower away in the nuke room
Map change isn't really a map change though :/
Thank you Bill :)
If you don't mind me responding to your points.

Now that you mentioned the A-1 part. To avoid the problem perhaps there could be two ways to solve it, one would be to force a few of the Overseers to move around and they have to finish tasks around the site that requires their clearance, or perhaps the Killsquad has gained a entity that pings the location of one overseer almost consistently every 2 minutes to them, which forces relocation regularly.

The map change would require a map in which you'd have multiple locations such as small huts or a long path that would be destined to serve the march well. Since the march is supposed to start on the original map after a nuke and then change once Foundation moves out from evacuation into the "countryside". The story will start in a random location within their path. A map, that I quickly searched for that could suit this scenario well would be
1. Idea
2. Idea
3. Idea
Since these maps all are either abandoned emplacements or forests, which would suit a "hidden" march of relocating foundation personnel quite well, since after all they will want to avoid being spotted. This rough terrain will not allow vehicles on some of these maps. Again I've just scanned over them, hardly launched them in game, but they seem promising for what I would've in mind.

Niox

Jan 23, 2023
+Support
-very cool dude
-good interactions (he is very cool)
-Amazing RP, constant great work from him in CI

'Blue'

Administrator
Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Donator
Jul 25, 2022
Kuwait

+Support

- Amazing RPer
- Fantastic application
- Good event ideas
- Good interactions
- Very Professional

Overall I think Jam will benifit the event team a lot. So the best of luck to you!

Kind regards,
- Blue

Mark Belgrum (Dutch)

Oct 5, 2022
The Netherlands
-Support
Hello Jam,

Unfortunatly I cannot support your application due to the following:
- The press conference would not make any sense as parawatch is a GOI that is alone. It does not have a rank structure.
- The MC&D transport sounds good
- The Paranormal activity would probally not be good for the gameplay loop as it would harras players of the CI and give GOC boosts?
- The map change event is not an actual map change event
- The O-1 event might be good but how will you organize this?
- The A-1 event is regular duties
- The Nu-7 event feels more like a CI event then actually Nu-7
- The E-11 event is underdetailed and needs more explaining
- CI Event seems unclear, you state its a target who is unknown but also dead and has information?
- GOC event would simply just destroy any relations
- Staff event is too combative. You have to remember this is not for MTF's but plain staff like engineers etc.

I also noticed you involve CI in every event you put up. This is not neccesarilly a bad thing but you have to remember that the largest player base is the foundation.

Jam

Civil Gamers Expert
Apr 10, 2022
Alright.
The press conference would not make any sense as parawatch is a GOI that is alone. It does not have a rank structure.
Doesn't mean there's like no organisations that work under the parawatch name. It's the same as how cells structure themselves under the Chaos Insurgency with no outright communication or connection to one another.

- The Paranormal activity would probally not be good for the gameplay loop as it would harras players of the CI and give GOC boosts?
It would react negatively to CI as it has a sense of being that the Insurgency are killers. CI can still interact with it, this would be complely player focused.

- The map change event is not an actual map change event
As to how. The event background is for the Insurgency to stalk the marching of Foundation. Therefor I suggested three maps inside my reponse to Bill that would stretch the process of the march, that way interactions could be done.

- The O-1 event might be good but how will you organize this?
The researcher in question, most likely me, will be organizing people to simply run around with satchels in exchange for money, there will also be others I am close to joining in the process to allow some coordination. Further process would be developed throughout time.

- The A-1 event is regular duties
Hardly, but it would give A-1 the focus to prioritize guarding the overseer for the moment, since the A-1 will be notified and need to make decisions to avoid the death of overseers that the Killsquad assembled by CI will try to do. Usually CI doesn't have a squad focused on just killing the Overseers, this would pressure A-1.
- The Nu-7 event feels more like a CI event then actually Nu-7
What can I say, it involves both sides. Not sure how it there's a imbalance.
- CI Event seems unclear, you state its a target who is unknown but also dead and has information?
That would be something that'd be figured out IC. I am planning to do a similar event in the case of getting gamemaster, so I don't want to spoil it. But most likely it would be a representative from the 108 Council.

I also noticed you involve CI in every event you put up. This is not neccesarilly a bad thing but you have to remember that the largest player base is the foundation.

I have a bunch of more events in the back of my mind and these are roughly sketched, I wont address everything you mentioned, since I gave a quick thought and I had ideas I didn't write down because I want most of this to expand in action not to be mentioned first off. I want to include CI a lot as they aren't a predominant danger or I want to help with the gameplay loop for CI as I obviously would know best from the two of us, events is something that helps CI a lot. I never argued off that foundation isn't a vital point of the server, but most GM's already focus on foundation and CI get's rare events for maybe once per week.

Thank you for the response, I just hope you could relate a little bit. Events-wise you would understand that CI is on the ground in priority, so is GOC. I mentioned that both of those factions would be a focus for me, as you can't always give the argument "duh they are the biggest playerbase" which doesn't reason to outright leave the other factions out of the spotlight.

I recommend you to message me on discord if you want to see the event storylines I have set up as an idea.

Spoke to him on discord.

Last edited:

MrSiens

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Mar 21, 2022
+Support
After talking with Jam privately, i understand his motivations for keeping many aspects vague, and he has addressed my criticisms thoroughly, im very convinced he would make a great addition to the GM Team
Neutral
Hello Jam,
While I believe you to be capable and dedicated to roleplay, there are issues within your application that prevent me from being able to quite support you yet.
Major Press Correspondence
Pinewood will have a chief director of the Parawatch organisation arriving, [...]
You seem to have run into a common misunderstanding of what Parawatch is, an exerpt from the Parawatch GoI Page:
1705347867522.png
To summarise, Parawatch is comparable 4Chan's /x/ board, or Reddits r/Paranormal. There is no formal "parawatch group", it is only a webforum which is not a serious threat to anyone, a joke effectively. 90% of the stories are fake, and the 10% that have a shred of truth to them are warped too much by the ignorance of its posters to pose any threat to the veil.

1705347990969.png
Parawatch is so pathetic infact, their existence is allowed because their incompetence actually strengthens the Veil.

Your Event Idea does not fit in with this, however, i do like how you are aware of the fact that CI actively benefits from the Veil and wants to keep it maintained as much as the other factions which is something very few people on the server seem to be know.

However, I think the idea itself is very much workable, if you replace Parawatch with a group that may pose an actual risk to the veil, even if not a significant one. Replacing the Parawatch Director with a live broadcasting news crew of a major publication for example, could lead to some fun Coverup Roleplay for all Factions, and allow civilians to tell "ghost stories" of what happened in town.

MC&D Transport
The Idea of Reviving one of the original members of Delta Command is actually very interesting, and has interesting potential, though the method of obtaining could be improved upon.

Paranormal Activity inside Pinewood
This event idea is not particularly interesting, orb hurts one faction, buffs another, and messes with the last. This would mainly just have an impact on combat, creating a moving "hazard" with some minor Research potential.

Map change event idea
Map changes are always a very odd part of applications, most applicants who are not re-applying obviously would not know the details of a map change event.

Your premise is viable for a combative event, and would probably be an interesting combat scenario for them.
Map changes however are intended to be 2-4 Hours long, replacing the entire gameplay loop of the server for the entire population of around 128 players.

Your idea would not be viable for such a large ordeal, though i dont sincerely count it against you because it is incredibly difficult to find something that would, it would be interesting to see what you would come up with for that purpose.

O-1: The idea as it stands would not be very interesting, but would keep A1 busy for a while, if you went more in depth and explained what information may be leaked, and why this could become an interesting premise, maybe something especially compromising for the Ethics Committee?
As it stands, i can only assume the event would be effectively handing out cl4-5 documents to cl1s or cl2s, which is not a particularly good event.

A-1: I'm unable to fully parse how you would be intending to run this event, would the "Kill-squad" be a special CI raid with buffs that would need to be disrupted by Raiding CI? would they be a detachment of Deep covers lying in wait somewhere? Please elaborate.

Nu-7: A Basic convoy defence wherein Nu7 gets buffs, workable.

E-11: "An Anomalous entity" is not very specific, and i am also uncertain if E-11 deployments to surface are ideal considering how long E-11 has to commute to get there, please expand more on the details of how youd run this, what the anomaly could be, and how the players could deal with it.

CI: this event is too vague for me to be able to determine much of anything about it, "CI wants a person" but its unclear who they might be, why they may be wanted, and if they want them dead or alive. Please go into more detail.

GOC: Again, too vague, "Kill an anomaly" is a good small event idea, but deciding on the anomaly is a big deal, maybe its a rogue Anderson robot? An Unbound demon that escaped as consequence of faulty GOC tech. You are selling yourself short by not elaborating.

Staff: The premise actually could be very interesting, Technicians having to do botched maintenance to hold the AI at bay, The AI maybe taunting the Foundation during its attack, Combative units being deployed to obtain anything they can from CI to help stop it.

I will advise against including containment breaches during events, as this tends to conflict with the Roleplay/Combat balance of the server, same applies with making events that could possibly interfere with SCP players breaches. Events generally try to stay out of the core gameplay loop's way as much as possible.

Now, you've already talked about your reasons for mainly listing CI focused or adjacent events, however, during the application process we like to see a large variety of events to get a feel for your range, we want to see if you are able to do a large variety of events instead of getting stuck on a certain faction, I personally would say that you have shown an acceptable variety within your events for those purposes, but i feel the need to remind you that we do not force people to run every event they put on their application, and that it only serves to show us what you can do/come up with, not necessarily what you intend to do. I would have liked to see a wider spread of factions involved, but what you have presented is more than acceptable.

While i understand your motivations for keeping aspects of your events a mystery until you run them, during the application process we simply need to see more than "CI will want to maybe kidnap or kill a guy" and while I am certain you have such ideas, if you do not tell them to us we cannot evaluate you based on them.

We can only judge an application based on what is written in it, not by what we assume you are intending to do, nor by what you assure us in DMs is your intent.

Lastly, something I personally look for in applicants is for them to demonstrate a familiarity with the SCP Setting beyond the content prominently featured on the server, this could be a particular unique skip, tale, Group of Interest or otherwise. Ive seen no such thing in this application, though its not a "must" it is something I like seeing. Is there any Tale, SCP, or Group you personally enjoy on the wiki and would love to do an event based on? If so, please do mention it.

To give examples of what changes you could make in order for me to feel able to support you:

-Please expand on at least a few of the Vague events, We can only judge based on what is written down on the application.

-Consider coming up with a larger premise for the map change section, something that could potentially include the entire population of the server for about two hours, with a fitting map. You dont need to worry about how "doable" said proposal is for the purposes of this application.

-Create a small event idea around a concept not regularly seen on the server, ideally from the wiki but it could also be wholly original

If you did at least one or two of these things (or something comparable), please do contact me and ill have another look, I do genuinely think you would be a capable addition to the GM team, but I would like to see just a little bit more out of you as reassurance.

Last edited:

Broda

Game Master
Game Master
Mar 20, 2022
+Support

The other SGMs covered the points nicely. You are competent and should prove to be an excellent GM. I do wish you the best of luck Jam!

Critical

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Platform Team
Event Team
Donator
Group Moderator
Jun 6, 2022
Application Accepted

Hi Jam,
Thanks for taking the time to make a gamemaster application. After a discussion, we have decided to accept your application, congratulations.

Please contact an Event Team Supervisor (Foxatron or Myself) to continue with an interview.​

Status
Not open for further replies.