Denied Make who you can call based on your role, not the phone

This suggestion has been denied and will not receive development.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Swanson

Jul 24, 2022
What does this suggestion change/add/remove:

The current system of how phones work is based on what the phone is, specific phones are able to call specific places meanwhile other cant. I suggest that instead each job be whitelisted for specific numbers tailored to their role.

Has something similar been suggested before? If so, why is your suggestion different?:

Not to my knowlage

Possible Positives of the suggestion (At least 2):

A. It would make more sense in RP. It doesnt make any sense that some phones are just physically incapable of calling others, but it does make perfect sense that a junior researcher wouldnt know the number to the O5 offices.

B. It would allow phones to be more versatile. I will always be an advocate for phones needing to be used more in RP and this would help facilitate that now that people wouldnt have to run around just to find a specific phone to make phone calls, rather just being able to pick up any random phone and call who they need to.

C. It would presumably be a very simple change and easy to impliment

Possible Negatives of the suggestion:

It could be tedious/annoying to impliment, especially given the limited use of the change

Based on the Positives & Negatives, why should this suggestion be accepted:

The only real downside to this is that it may be annoying to actually change, otherwise I believe how it could improve RP is self evident. People know phone numbers, not the phones themselves, and it is often very annoying having to find a specific phone to make a call because that specific phone can only call areas based on the assumed clearance of the person, not the actual clearance or role of the person.

Dr Random K.

Game Master
Game Master
Oct 8, 2023
Site 54
-support I prefer having the option for d class getting out of d block to use certain phones, mainly from 1162, to call people on surface for it’s rp potential

It also wouldn’t make sense for a person to know every number they need to be able to call, which is why it makes sense that certain phones have certain numbers saved

Biscuits

Jan 2, 2023
-soup
unneeded dev work, phone system is rarely used and this'd make it even rarer, also what the other guy said

"Recker"

Game Master
Game Master
Donator
Nov 26, 2022
-support I prefer having the option for d class getting out of d block to use certain phones, mainly from 1162, to call people on surface for it’s rp potential

It also wouldn’t make sense for a person to know every number they need to be able to call, which is why it makes sense that certain phones have certain numbers saved
-Support for the same reason.

Niox

Jan 23, 2023
Would it make sense: Yes
Would it be better: Maybe?
Would it be worth the dev time: No

Good idea on paper, especially since the phone lines have the numbers attached to them, but it’s prob not worth the time and limits people like d class from calling other phones

Arron 'Spectre' Shepard

Administrator
Administrator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
May 8, 2022
Suggestion Denied

Hi @Dr. Swanson ,

Thanks for taking the time to make a server suggestion.
The Content Team has chosen to deny your suggestion due to the following reasons.

We're happy with how the phone system operates. We do not wish to introduce an artificial restriction that applies unevenly to players as we believe this would be another barrier between players of different rank/position on the server, reducing the chance they may interact.

Your suggestion will now be locked and marked as denied.​

• Love
Reactions: Emilia Foddg
Status
Not open for further replies.